ADVERTISEMENT

Pick a new rival

Who would you pick as a new primary rival?

• Michigan State

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • Illinois

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Butler

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
Indiana bores me

I choose Illinois. MSU and Michigan have each other. OSU fans don't really get into basketball.

The only downside is "UIUC sucks!" doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

I prefer IU get back on track. I've enjoyed the "rivalry" for decades and it used to mean something. If those banners still mean something, then so should the rivalry. Don't get me wrong, I love the 8 game winning streak, but I want that nervous feeling again during game week. I don't think I could just choose a new rival.

This list is missing a "traditional" choice.....

omhr1984.0.jpg

Agree that Illinois makes sense. Similar school in terms of education and geography, close proximity to West Lafayette, decent basketball program, obnoxious fan base.

Let's make it happen.

Indiana can make Indiana State their new rival.

I prefer IU get back on track. I've enjoyed the "rivalry" for decades and it used to mean something. If those banners still mean something, then so should the rivalry. Don't get me wrong, I love the 8 game winning streak, but I want that nervous feeling again during game week. I don't think I could just choose a new rival.
I've got 10 year old bath towels that mean more than the banners.

Waiting for IU to get back on track requires the patience of a saint. I've given up.

Reactions: GregJM24 and punaj
I picked MSU because we have had some good tough games vs them that are hard fought. Plus I like beating Izzo and seeing him whine.
I probably would put Wisconsin next

Indiana bores me

I choose Illinois. MSU and Michigan have each other. OSU fans don't really get into basketball.

The only downside is "UIUC sucks!" doesn't quite roll off the tongue.
I'm actually glad your bored! But you can't change history or geography at your whim, just because you're bored. IU has been and always be our main rivalry. And btw..nothing in the by-laws that says a rivalry has to be equal or competitive ..i hope we continue to beat that team down south in EVERY GAME IN EVERY SPORT FOR ETERNITY
And..if you want an Illinois to be a rival...go root for Fkn Northwestern

January 30, 2013 is when our rivalry ended per Will Sheehey. It was a true statement because they’ve beat us twice since that comment. MSU has been more consistent matchup - 2 heavy weights exchanging body blows.

Reactions: joseole101
I picked MSU because we have had some good tough games vs them that are hard fought. Plus I like beating Izzo and seeing him whine.
I probably would put Wisconsin next
Beating Gard is like bearing a bland piece of toast. Beating Wiscy when the Count was on the sidelines was very enjoyable.

I’m surprised OSU doesn’t have more votes.

MSU and UM have each other to hate.
Seems like Holtman is going to be there awhile and always have OSU really good.
Plus, Purdue needs a couple more em wins in that rivalry to reclaim the “winning record against every B10 team” statement

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I’m surprised OSU doesn’t have more votes.

MSU and UM have each other to hate.
Seems like Holtman is going to be there awhile and always have OSU really good.
Plus, Purdue needs a couple more em wins in that rivalry to reclaim the “winning record against every B10 team” statement
I've always thought UM, MSU, and OSU were sort of a weird anti-love triangle

I'm actually glad your bored! But you can't change history or geography at your whim, just because you're bored. IU has been and always be our main rivalry. And btw..nothing in the by-laws that says a rivalry has to be equal or competitive ..i hope we continue to beat that team down south in EVERY GAME IN EVERY SPORT FOR ETERNITY
And..if you want an Illinois to be a rival...go root for Fkn Northwestern

Is the last sentence supposed to indicate having Illinois - currently a projected 1-seed and on a 3-game winning streak vs. PU - as a rival is somehow embarrassing or something only NU claims? Haha.

On a serious note, it’s interesting that Illinois and Purdue have never really been too intense of rivals, considering we actually might be the two closest campuses and both have great traditions. I guess the mutual hate for Indiana might explain it, lol.

P.S. FWIW, zero Illini fans would consider NU a main rival, and given their state ... I honestly don’t think that many NU fans would either, lol.

IU will always be our main rival. They won’t always suck. It’s not much of a rivalry right now, so I would say Illinois is a team that I think is under appreciated as a rival. A lot of Purdue folks are surprised when they learn it’s actually geographically the closest Big Ten school to us. We don’t think about it like that because you have to cross a state line. Who else is their rival anyway? Northwestern? The number four team in the nation is right next door.

IU will always be our main rival. They won’t always suck. It’s not much of a rivalry right now, so I would say Illinois is a team that I think is under appreciated as a rival. A lot of Purdue folks are surprised when they learn it’s actually geographically the closest Big Ten school to us. We don’t think about it like that because you have to cross a state line. Who else is their rival anyway? Northwestern? ...

Historically, Illinois’ biggest in conference rival is likely Indiana. This is likely a blind spot for PU fans given your own rivalry with them, but from Lou Henson feuding with Bob Knight to the Eric Gordon saga to the all-time series being almost even, that has been a great rivalry for decades.

Beyond that, Iowa has been an off-and-on rivalry that has gone from boiling (Deon Thomas/Bruce Pearl years) to stagnant (Lickliter years for them), but it’s REALLY heated back up these last two years. Lot of bad blood between the two, and we’re both good. Missouri is easily our biggest non-conference rival (and arguably the coolest non-conference setup in the sport, in St. Louis before Christmas in front of an evenly divided crowd at mid court), but a conference rivalry always seems to be more important.

UI certainly doesn’t have as natural of a rival as UM-MSU, IU-PU, UW-Minny, etc.

Reactions: BOILERBOY
I have zero issue with IU remaining as our prime rivalry, even if we pound them into submission twice every year. There's nothing wrong with boring dominance...

Historically, Illinois’ biggest in conference rival is likely Indiana. This is likely a blind spot for PU fans given your own rivalry with them, but from Lou Henson feuding with Bob Knight to the Eric Gordon saga to the all-time series being almost even, that has been a great rivalry for decades.

Beyond that, Iowa has been an off-and-on rivalry that has gone from boiling (Deon Thomas/Bruce Pearl years) to stagnant (Lickliter years for them), but it’s REALLY heated back up these last two years. Lot of bad blood between the two, and we’re both good. Missouri is easily our biggest non-conference rival (and arguably the coolest non-conference setup in the sport, in St. Louis before Christmas in front of an evenly divided crowd at mid court), but a conference rivalry always seems to be more important.

UI certainly doesn’t have as natural of a rival as UM-MSU, IU-PU, UW-Minny, etc.
I agree with everything you say...PU n UI do play for the Cannon in FB..one of three PU plays for. You would think UI would be right behind IU in terms of rivalry especially considering the proximity...but for some reason it doesn't seem to feel like that..

MSU all the way.
  1. We often compete for the same recruits.
  2. Whiny-ass Izzo is easy to hate on
  3. MSU has that rapist/thug reputation going on
  4. Their academics are questionable, so we can always pull that issue into the argument.

I used to like Izzo and I can't remember when it really started but as he ages he just seems to whine more and more. And I never liked the way he could work the refs, but you have to give him credit for being able to do it.

Unfortunately the Hoosiers fans still believe they are the best and most envied program in college basketball. Time is not always kind as we age.
pap_11_custom-27f5709b603a8aa84612fc63dd967b506edb4b26-s800.jpg

It will always be IU for me. I think some have forgotten how insufferable their fans are when they beat us (especially for those of us still in the Boilermaker State). Hopefully we don’t all get a reminder today.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT