ADVERTISEMENT

Peggy Noonan to Republicans

Agreed, so you should’ve stopped with “who won the election“ to make the point that Trump won despite the popular vote. The second sentence only serves to imply you don’t think CA voters actually matter, which is just ridiculous. Who won the popular vote outside CA means even less than who won it overall. Who won the basketball game the other night outside of Michigan’s 3-pointers?

Of course, even that the fact that Trump won doesn’t change the fact that Clinton was the candidate that the VOTERS preferred in 2016, which was gr8’s original point. He won because of the way the rules are, not because he was the preferred candidate by the majority of voters.
Agreed, so you should’ve stopped with “who won the election“ to make the point that Trump won despite the popular vote. The second sentence only serves to imply you don’t think CA voters actually matter, which is just ridiculous. Who won the popular vote outside CA means even less than who won it overall. Who won the basketball game the other night outside of Michigan’s 3-pointers?

Of course, even that the fact that Trump won doesn’t change the fact that Clinton was the candidate that the VOTERS preferred in 2016, which was gr8’s original point. He won because of the way the rules are, not because he was the preferred candidate by the majority of voters.

You don't get it. Saying HRC won by 3M votes, sounds impressive, until you realize that it was comprised of running up vote totals in places deep blue areas. Trump won the popular vote in the battle ground states, if you want to cite a multi state popular vote total, the popular vote in the purple states is more telling than the overall numbers. The only popular vote that impacts the election is the vote by state. CA voters matters as much as any other voter.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Joe Manchin would be called a DINO. Need more of him on BOTH sides of the aisle. I know Biden isn't Manchin-level moderate, but when you're presented with Biden/Clinton vs. Bernie Sanders, well, there you go.

I don't like Ted Cruz for the same reasons, but would prefer Cruz over Trump (barely). There were about seven people on the stage that I would've taken over Trump.

Point is, a lot of people on the right sit there and point at the left and call them all Communists. A lot of people on the left look at the right and call them all Nationalists. When you skew one way or the other, anyone left/right of center looks extreme to you... so the problem isn't necessarily the parties themselves.

The problem for a lot of people is binary political ideology. It plays out in this forum all the time. It plays out when Democrats criticize Manchin for having actual principles. It plays out when Republicans ridicule never Trumpers and "RINOs".

Binary partisan politics is the problem. If you can't get past cheering for your team, then I have no time for you. I have no respect for that kind of simpleton stupidity on either side. (Some are far, far worse than others).
Biden doesn’t stand for anything. He’s the walking definition of “an empty suit”, and to make matters worse he appears to have early onset dementia, too. I don’t think he’s calling the shots in this administration.

Trump has an extreme narcissistic personality. He’s obviously driven, but he’s so damned unstable. Our country doesn’t need another rollercoaster ride with him at the helm. I just have this nagging feeling that IF he is the R nominee again, he will most likely lose unless he’s running against HRC or Kamala Harris, both of whom are more unpopular than he is.

Biden doesn’t stand for anything. He’s the walking definition of “an empty suit”, and to make matters worse he appears to have early onset dementia, too. I don’t think he’s calling the shots in this administration.

Trump has an extreme narcissistic personality. He’s obviously driven, but he’s so damned unstable. Our country doesn’t need another rollercoaster ride with him at the helm. I just have this nagging feeling that IF he is the R nominee again, he will most likely lose unless he’s running against HRC or Kamala Harris, both of whom are more unpopular than he is.
Agree with all of it.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Joe Manchin would be called a DINO. Need more of him on BOTH sides of the aisle. I know Biden isn't Manchin-level moderate, but when you're presented with Biden/Clinton vs. Bernie Sanders, well, there you go.

I don't like Ted Cruz for the same reasons, but would prefer Cruz over Trump (barely). There were about seven people on the stage that I would've taken over Trump.

Point is, a lot of people on the right sit there and point at the left and call them all Communists. A lot of people on the left look at the right and call them all Nationalists. When you skew one way or the other, anyone left/right of center looks extreme to you... so the problem isn't necessarily the parties themselves.

The problem for a lot of people is binary political ideology. It plays out in this forum all the time. It plays out when Democrats criticize Manchin for having actual principles. It plays out when Republicans ridicule never Trumpers and "RINOs".

Binary partisan politics is the problem. If you can't get past cheering for your team, then I have no time for you. I have no respect for that kind of simpleton stupidity on either side. (Some are far, far worse than others).

The mythical center is exactly where I would expect to find someone who could not put 2 and 2 together.

"Im just not sure what is true so i will sit on the fence and pretend that I am above the fray"

Republicans and independents need to look at 2022 and realize that they need to seize the opportunity or suffer the fate of the far left communists that control the Democrat party. Free college, free healthcare, government mandates…35% of America wants these things and the educators are continuing to brainwash our kids to believe in their far left policies.

Republicans need to nominate a candidate that can govern from the middle…fight for the rights of all Americans, build an economy for all Americans and get all Americans back to work. Trump had a great economic plan and someone needs to be able to follow his economic plan and not alienate independents and moderate Democrats

(yes, we need moderate Democrats, because every year there is another brainwashed class of college and HS students getting the right to vote. In a decade, todays moderate Democrats will look like Republicans compared to the even farther left in 10 yrs)
Unfortunately the Republicans have knack of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory like Purdue does in March

He's stirring the pot. He's a Biden lover.

Or a Nevertrumper

The dude is delusional and clueless. He seems to pride on just swallowing whatever lies the establishment peddles on any given day.

If you literally believe the most obvious lies from the CCP over your common sense and clear evidence, there really is no hope for you ever finding the truth.

The constitution and our laws have been shredded by the swamp and the left for decades. Just look at the latest Durham revelations. The revelations in Wisconsin regarding the number of illegal votes there....

The left rigged the 2016 election for Hillary, and and the 2020 elections for Biden. Trump simply wanted someone to stop the disastrous Biden from getting away with it all. No one would step up.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2

What is your evidence that Trump is unstable? CNN?

The guy was subject to a coup attempt in office, and you are blaming him for being angry about that?

How many countries did we invade? Fewer than the last 5 presidents or so. Mean tweets? Thats all you got. I could go for some mean tweets right about now.

Last edited:
Anyone who says that we need to move on or silence the opinions of Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump are not seeing the big picture.

What the establishment of both parties wants is a benign populace so that they can continue to build upon their great work in relative silence. For the last 7 or so years, there has been an increased alertness amongst the public to everything that the government does, and it was onset by what many feel are the radical sides of both parties. The days of the government ruling without the cross examination of the public are over, largely in part to movements started by Bernie and Trump.

The great work of a peaceful and prosperous world cannot be designed by the governing bodies of the world. People have to freely choose to live towards a life of love, truth and being better informed. The current institution will never reach that goal because they, without exception in history, resort to violence and control against the people to bring about human enlightenment, which leads to their ultimate demise at the hands of the people.

Anyone who says that we need to move on or silence the opinions of Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump are not seeing the big picture.

What the establishment of both parties wants is a benign populace so that they can continue to build upon their great work in relative silence. For the last 7 or so years, there has been an increased alertness amongst the public to everything that the government does, and it was onset by what many feel are the radical sides of both parties. The days of the government ruling without the cross examination of the public are over, largely in part to movements started by Bernie and Trump.

The great work of a peaceful and prosperous world cannot be designed by the governing bodies of the world. People have to freely choose to live towards a life of love, truth and being better informed. The current institution will never reach that goal because they, without exception in history, resort to violence and control against the people to bring about human enlightenment, which leads to their ultimate demise at the hands of the people.

The world has never been ruled by elite so powerful, so incompetent, and so corrupt

What is truly amazing about Trump and to some extent Sanders is that they have convinced many of the People of this country that somehow he is not a part of the ruling elite; that somehow he represents their best interests.

A whole shitload of people have been duped by Trump and the progressive Left, but it isn’t the ones seeking a nuanced middle, I’m afraid.

What is truly amazing about Trump and to some extent Sanders is that they have convinced many of the People of this country that somehow he is not a part of the ruling elite; that somehow he represents their best interests.

A whole shitload of people have been duped by Trump and the progressive Left, but it isn’t the ones seeking a nuanced middle, I’m afraid.

Serious question:

Name one distinct position of the nuanced middle. What is the single most compelling position unique to the political middle?

My town had a nuanced middle of the road party in the last election and they were crushed. This in deep blue America.

I don't need the electoral college explained to me, I understand how it works, thanks. The fact that we have a system that ignores a large percentage of voters doesn't change the fact that the voters preferred Clinton in 2016. You can legitimately say that Trump won the election according to the rules in place, but you cannot say that the body of individual voters preferred him.

Gr8 had pointed out that Trump already lost the popular vote to Clinton, presumably to suggest that maybe it wouldn't be a great idea for the Republicans to run Trump against Clinton again. Guidelines questioned the relevancy of Gr8's point because Trump won the election despite that fact. I had no problem with that part of Guidelines' post, though just because it happened that way the first time doesn't mean it would again -- as a sidebar, I'd suggest that continually running candidates that don't appeal to a majority of voters is not a good long-term strategy, despite the fact that it has worked a couple times in the recent past. Guidelines then also asked "who won the popular vote outside of CA?" I simply pointed out that, if indeed the popular vote is the topic of discussion (as in Gr8's original post), ignoring CA's contribution to it makes no sense.

I understand that CA's contribution to the popular vote has little to no relevance with respect to the election winner. But you can't just say that Trump won the popular vote outside of CA and have that mean anything with respect to the overall popular vote. It's akin, as I suggested, to ignoring Michigan's 3-pointers from Thursday night and suggesting that, outside of those, Purdue won the game (in this analogy, I'm using "game" in place of "popular vote," not "election").

All that said, I was really just making a little joke at Guidelines' expense regarding his apparent belief that CA's votes don't matter with respect to the popular vote. Clearly, it was a poorly conceived and/or executed joke, since at least some folks didn't get it as evidenced by the fact that I've had to explain it now twice. I'll bow out of the discussion now and sign up for an online comedy class so I can do better next time.
Wow how much time did you waste posting this crap? Triggered much? You can always find yourself a different country to vote in. That is how it works here

• Haha
Reactions: SKYDOG

You just really can't help your stupidity can you?

I love you ,again.

You are still going to get mocked as an 'enlightened centrist" which one side calls a rino and the other a fascist.

Last edited:
If the Rs run somebody who is not Trump (without his baggage), but somebody who runs on his policies and does it in a “kinder”, more stable way, that candidate will win in 2024. I think Trump is too damaged, too tarnished to win in 2024. Tired of the continual drama.

Hitllary has definitely been signaling she wants to run again. She’s damaged as much as Trump and the truth is she’s about the only R candidate who Trump would beat. I think he’d beat Kamala Harris, too.
I believe you are 100% correct.

Reactions: SDBoiler1

Agree here. Trump needs to just get out of the way however, I am okay with him making everyone THINK he is running. That would keep the heat off of the rest of the field and is a brilliant move. Trump could be a "kng maker" as it were and also he would be too old.

I would love nothing more than to see DeSantis run but I think that has a lot to do with how his wife is at the time. DeSantis would crush it.

Agree here. Trump needs to just get out of the way however, I am okay with him making everyone THINK he is running. That would keep the heat off of the rest of the field and is a brilliant move. Trump could be a "kng maker" as it were and also he would be too old.

I would love nothing more than to see DeSantis run but I think that has a lot to do with how his wife is at the time. DeSantis would crush it.
I agree but don’t think Trump’s ego will allow that. I like DeSantis. I like Mike Pompeo. If Trump is not barred I believe he will run again and if he doesn’t get the nomination he may try to burn the whole damn house down and take the R party down with him.

Reactions: indyogb
I agree but don’t think Trump’s ego will allow that. I like DeSantis. I like Mike Pompeo. If Trump is not barred I believe he will run again and if he doesn’t get the nomination he may try to burn the whole damn house down and take the R party down with him.
Yep I can see him doing that. I appreciate what he did while he was in office, which as we see now was a LOT, but his mouth/ego got his way.

A Pompeo/DeSantis ticket would be very hard to beat if they decided to team up in some fashion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT