ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald

SLoop, wish I could give your post more likes!! From Fitz’ AA grad rate to the (not so) Innocence Project run by an attention whore in Professor Protess, you absolutely nailed it!! Fitz is certainly no racist, despite what the Daily (Rag) Northwestern drags up from a few disgruntled players over 17 years.

Having lived in Evanston many years, marrying an NU girl turned staff member at their Kellogg Graduate School of Business, to being a STH near the end of their dark ages that became a Rose Bowl team we followed out to Pasadena, NU long ago became my 2nd school. It holds a special place in mine and my family’s life.

Did the “facts” of this case change so drastically from Friday to Monday it went from a 2-week suspension to firing? Not a chance!! Sad day for NU and Fitz.

To add insult to injury, these players NU wants us to think they care so much about? Neither the University President, nor AD was even present last night to speak with them!! The AD was on Zoom from Europe for a reported 8 minutes, read a statement and excused himself without talking with or taking player questions. The President? Not present either. Obviously doesn’t have the balls to meet with them.

Last edited:
SLoop, wish I could give your post more likes!! From Fitz’ AA grad rate to the (not so) Innocence Project run by an attention whore in Professor Protess, you absolutely nailed it!! Fitz is certainly no racist, despite what the Daily (Rag) Northwestern drags up from a few disgruntled players over 17 years.

Having lived in Evanston many years, marrying an NU girl turned staff member at their Kellogg Graduate School of Business, to being a STH near the end of their dark ages that became a Rose Bowl team we followed out to Pasadena, NU long ago became my 2nd school. It holds a special place in mine and my family’s life.

Did the “facts” of this case change so drastically from Friday to Monday it went from a 2-week suspension to firing? Not a chance!! Sad day for NU and Fitz.

To add insult to injury, these players NU wants us to think they care so much about? Neither the University President, nor AD was even present last night to speak with them!! The AD was on Zoom from Europe for a reported 8 minutes, read a statement and excused himself without talking with or taking player questions. The President? Not present either. Obviously doesn’t have the balls to meet with them.
As a grad, what does your wife think of the whole thing? I'd love to know what percentage of NU alumni are behind this.

Don't all of the players get a freebie to enter the portal due Fitz being fired.
Could be a mass exiduos of players.......

Yep. The admin has already taken a step in the downgrading direction by building a new "multi-use" stadium with a lower seating capacity. This on top of it...if he goes, who do you get? Who CAN you get? Fitz was an is a "Northwestern Man", I can't think of another one out there like him.
There's only one leader of men out there who could turn it all around.

The Rev Coach Leo, of course. Surprised you didn't immediately think of him. The only issue will be the payoff IU will have to pay to NU to take him.

Ouch. You'd hope they would have installed some checks in their system to maintain some journalistic integrity going forward from that. You'd hope.
If they were inaccurate, Fitz would have a hell of a lawsuit on his hands. He could sue the paper, the school, the kid's family. These are career-breaking allegations. The revenge angle doesn't play for me. It's too easy now o transfer and find someplace you can play.

Reactions: Tommaker

The Rev Coach Leo, of course. Surprised you didn't immediately think of him. The only issue will be the payoff IU will have to pay to NU to take him.
He'd make them league favorites quickly. He is RELENTLESS!!!

I thought you were going to say Darrell Hazell.

• Haha
Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
So if the issue he Fitz and his should have known, why are they keeping the entire staff this year?
A lot of the staff is new anyway, including Braun who was sort of but not actually named interim coach. They do still have to have some guys run the team.

The wildcat way required long hair to be cut...but only the black players. A Hispanic player had cinco de mayo shaved into his head and was told jokes about cleaning rooms and how good his family must be at it...and we have a 10,000 word essay in this thread on how race can't be discussed in this case, and other posters liking/agreeing. Jesus H

Haven't read any of the stories. Can someone surmise for me? What were the specific hazing allegations?

Goes beyond that. A lot of activities forcing players to get naked and do acts that would qualify as actual sexual assault.
Coach denies knowledge. Coach fired. Coach to sue. Stadium renovations likely down the drain, along with the program.

Reactions: pboiler18
On the plus side, we play them the next three years, with two games at NW. Games and tickets should be easy.

Reactions: Tommaker
Not knowing about it is also fireable.
It's impossible to know what happened and who knew. It's also impossible to not fire him. You would hope additional countermeasures would be put in place such as having an outlet for athletes to report these things without fear of retribution if it didn't exist before. This is really a northwestern problem as much as a coach problem imo. Again, it's not possible to know who's telling the truth but coaches who feel untouchable or unaccountable have lead to serious problems. Usually the coach takes the fall and they should but it's a much bigger problem within the university and rarely gets addressed. Pitino, Paterno, knight, etc all come to mind. I'm sure there's more

Not a NU fan, but their Medill newspaper has its own far more questionable research history, like helping let murderers out of prison that were, actually guilty in what was called the “Innocence Project”, while wrongfully framing police - some of the people they helped get out went on to kill again, and they framed an innocent man to get two other guilty men out of jail

If you are going to tell a complete story, then they should present the totality of the coaches work. 12 years they have been 1st or the 2nd in graduation rate at like 98% and African American players there are graduating at levels higher than African American students at the school. Ensuring nearly all your black students graduate to incredible non athletic opportunities is not the epitome of “racism”.

The claims he wanted the “wildcat way” and that is some sort of race scandal is ridiculous. Let’s face it, any college is hard and doing it at Northwestern probably much harder. Telling kids who may not have been exposed to the privilege they will see at northwestern (even most of the white players), that they will need to mature and they will be raising the bar for expected professional behavior at all times is the best advice and honesty these kids will get to succeed in an important 40 year decision. If you want to act Ike you are from the streets of Flint, go to Michigan State. If you want to act like you are on the floor of a Board room, study & play at NU.

If the issue is hazing, that’s different but don’t make false claims of a coach having a “my-way or-the-highway” attitude a race issue - funny how when Prime Time at Colorado gives the “don’t be ghetto speech” to his players that’s celebrated, but when Fitzgerald privately demands it and backs it up with years of graduation successes that takes some of these kids to unimagined doors being opened for a few years of hard work that it’s a race issue.

1999? No college student working for the newspaper was alive in 1999 and I doubt the same advisors are there either.

It's irrelevant.

1999? No college student working for the newspaper was alive in 1999 and I doubt the same advisors are there either.

It's irrelevant.
Sloop made a compelling case for NW and other overpriced 'elite' schools to drop football.

I would be interested to know what football players are majoring in to achieve the alleged 98% grad rate, sloop. Sounds like ND-style hype, with the NW web site showing majors in all kinds of frivolous subjects, such as black studies, dance, art theory and practice, ~10 varieties of music, and something called "performance studies".

It seems like everyday that this investigation into the NW athletics situation gets worse everyday. I have to say that I am a little surprised about how bad it was there for so many years.

It seems like everyday that this investigation into the NW athletics situation gets worse everyday. I have to say that I am a little surprised about how bad it was there for so many years.
What came out now I haven’t followed it since at least Friday lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT