ADVERTISEMENT

Painter realizes shortfalls

In talking about our 3 point shooting woes I have had a thought about that issue for some time. When other teams press and we run our usual response, we burn 8 to 9 seconds off of the clock to get across the timeline. We then set up our offense and attempt to go to Zach for the highest percentage shot. We grind another 8 to 10 seconds off of the clock and then go into a last second three before the clock expires. As a result many of our 3s are "forced" shots. Many are off balance and rushed. Not all are of course, but still there is the pressure of trying to hit a last second shot. Not to end the half or the end of the game, but multiple times through out the game. Missing those last second threes then works on a players confidence. Worried about missing, they pass around more in key possessions sometimes passing up good shots because the last miss is on their mind. Open shots should be taken. With so many shots being "pressure" shots, I think it weighs on a shooter's confidence. What do you guys think?
No question missing affects confidence that can lead to further misses. That said I believe for the most part the shots were open shots and not a lot rushed. Some were...no doubt...and some were taken by people that just didn't show an ability to be a good shooter. What I do share in what you are saying is the psychology at play and the real difficulty in assessing that correctly and the efficiency of Zach on the whole alters the game.

With all things equal Braden should be a poorer 3pt shooter than others. Why, because playing what he does...shooting CANNOT be his primary thought for much of the game. It is a secondary thought and one that he cannot get primed beforehand to make most of the time. Others are wired to score and give it up if it isn't there...with some looking to distribute to a scoring option at the moment...but all after determining they are not taking the shot. I always worry and have posted such if Purdue starts out hitting the 3 ball early for fear of NOT getting into the game mentally and then losing the MO when the shots quit dropping. So I believe that a mental component of the 3 ball is enhanced by not relying on the 3 ball but doing other things and getting into the grind physically and not treating the 3 ball with so much respect that missing it becomes as large of a mental issue. Lots of things go into poor 3 ball shooting and lots of theories on why that may happen above and beyond mechanics of actually shooting the ball

Reactions: Gman544 and z_one
No question missing affects confidence that can lead to further misses. That said I believe for the most part the shots were open shots and not a lot rushed. Some were...no doubt...and some were taken by people that just didn't show an ability to be a good shooter. What I do share in what you are saying is the psychology at play and the real difficulty in assessing that correctly and the efficiency of Zach on the whole alters the game.

With all things equal Braden should be a poorer 3pt shooter than others. Why, because playing what he does...shooting CANNOT be his primary thought for much of the game. It is a secondary thought and one that he cannot get primed beforehand to make most of the time. Others are wired to score and give it up if it isn't there...with some looking to distribute to a scoring option at the moment...but all after determining they are not taking the shot. I always worry and have posted such if Purdue starts out hitting the 3 ball early for fear of NOT getting into the game mentally and then losing the MO when the shots quit dropping. So I believe that a mental component of the 3 ball is enhanced by not relying on the 3 ball but doing other things and getting into the grind physically and not treating the 3 ball with so much respect that missing it becomes as large of a mental issue. Lots of things go into poor 3 ball shooting and lots of theories on why that may happen above and beyond mechanics of actually shooting the ball
Agree! The lack of mid range or folks who can get their own shot, drive to the basket puts a lot of pressure on hitting the three. But that’s how Painter put together this team. True, you make higher percentage of dunks/5 footers than midrange. But midrange in the mix opens up the rest of the offense.

Love armchair coaches you need tall guards to play zone athletic tall guards we have neither quit blaming painter a coach's job is to get players open he did his job we shot 19% from three
A coach's job is also to get your team shooting well and believing in themselves and not yanking them from the game because of one unfortunate turnover in a possession that you wouldn't have gotten in the first place if not for the hustle play of that punished player. When Painter yanked Newman with 8:19 left in the FDU game, never to see the floor again in the game, I knew right then we would never see Newman in a Purdue uniform ever again! Newman deserved better.

Love armchair coaches you need tall guards to play zone athletic tall guards we have neither quit blaming painter a coach's job is to get players open he did his job we shot 19% from three
I can't believe people on here still want to give Painter credit for running plays to get our shooters open and we shot 19%from the three.Any one that has a clue about BB would know that they were doubling and tripling Zach that's how the players got open and it sure the hell wasn't Painter calling the plays that got them open.

Reactions: z_one
Agree! The lack of mid range or folks who can get their own shot, drive to the basket puts a lot of pressure on hitting the three. But that’s how Painter put together this team. True, you make higher percentage of dunks/5 footers than midrange. But midrange in the mix opens up the rest of the offense.
I even go as far as the physical exertion and/or movement putting the mind in the game and fully honed in helping let alone capable of driving the ball on a hard closeout if needed. Years ago it appeared to me that many teams that pressed were poor FT shooters. Naturally, that divide may be explained a lot by athleticism for pressing and skill. Still, I often wondered when the player is tired from pressing, does that few seconds of stoppage where he shoots and rests create a hitch in the "rhythm" of the shot? Who knows if any of this happens? All that said, many of the shots were good shots for most players..and were still shot quite poorly and it may have nothing or little to do with the psychology going on. Maybe the reduced time for practice as the season goes on reduces getting the shots up ? Who knows.

As far as the roster it wasn't smoke and mirrors as to why Purdue did so well this season and yes Zach had a heavy hand in that, but he wasn't the whole story. The 1 & 2s will have another year behind them and another year at the extreme physical maturity of opposition having played their last year and moving on. In spite of so many being concerned at the 1 & 2 spots, there was significant improvement in driving the ball at those two positions over previous teams...and as we all know they were less than a year from high school play. The 3 needs to be able to drive the ball and shoot as well while sharing the ball handling load. That is unknown. The optimism for the 3 rests in athletic players that may have deficientcies in any or all those areas. Video suggests that Myles can shoot, but videos show highlights. Anyway, Purdue needs a bigger jump at the 3 spot than the 1 &2 and we do have reason to believe that the 1 & 2 will improve over the accomplishments of their freshman year. I would love to see Caleb,Trey and Mason to a lesser extent, put in intensive work on facing the basket and being able to drive the ball 10-12 feet without turning it over as well as adding a short jumper over what will be many times a shorter player...like others told to not foul a jump shooter. Naturally hitting an open 12 footer will tighten up the D and lead to possible drives where one or two dribbles may be all that is required...with a good first step. I would love to see that added to their drop step, jump hook and any up&under they continuously practice or when their back is towards the goal. Now, there are distinct advantages in seeing the rest of the players when your back is against the rim...even with digs down since they too are somewhat turned and so I understand why Matt likes the back to the basket as well. I just want to have a more versatile player at the 4 especially. I think the greatest potential for improvement lies in how "versatile" and "effective" the 3 &4s are...and especially true if Zach leaves and the 4 or 4s go to the 5. None of this is to imply that Purdue doesn't need another guard...that hopefully can play effectively the 1 & 2

Last edited:
Reactions: mathboy
A coach's job is also to get your team shooting well and believing in themselves and not yanking them from the game because of one unfortunate turnover in a possession that you wouldn't have gotten in the first place if not for the hustle play of that punished player. When Painter yanked Newman with 8:19 left in the FDU game, never to see the floor again in the game, I knew right then we would never see Newman in a Purdue uniform ever again! Newman deserved better.
Hell that's right he was dynamite from Wisconsin game onward hitting 22% of his threes!!!

How much have you given Andy? You seem intent on asking every poster this so why don't you lie about how much you have given your school?
I'm asking the posters who bitch and moan that Purdue isn't winning the NIL battles. Purdue can't fight those battles. The people bitching and moaning have to fight them. If you aren't fighting them, stop bitching and moaning. Get it?

Reactions: wallyboiler79
I'm asking the posters who bitch and moan that Purdue isn't winning the NIL battles. Purdue can't fight those battles. The people bitching and moaning have to fight them. If you aren't fighting them, stop bitching and moaning. Get it?
Please point out where I have "bitched and Moaned" about us losing an NIL battle. People are discussing NIL and asking about it and questioning it. It's called a discussion. I could of swore that was what this place was for. Not agreeing with everything you want/say. If you've got something to add, by all means jump into the discussion. Constantly asking people how much they have given doesn't add anything.

Which is kind of funny, because a lot teams hit these against us. See IU, Hood.
Here are the midrange stats for Purdue's two games against IU

IU Game 1 - 2023

Here IU was 13-22 overall so 1.18 points per possession
Hood Schifino was 6-10 which 1.2 points per possession

Here IU was 12-31 so 0.77 points per possession
Hood Schifino was 9-18 which is 1 point per possession

IU Game 2 - 2023

Hood Schifino seems pretty good at midrange shots

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT