ADVERTISEMENT

Over / under on minutes per game - Myles Colvin

How many minutes per game does Myles play this coming season?

• Total voters
I’m not trying to compare the talent of Myles to the talent of Newman.

But rather, I’m comparing their situations. Newman arrived as a much hyped athlete. But there really was no position for him and he could never find his way to be a starter. So rather than continue to play off the bench, Newman left and went to a school where he actually had a chance to start. I believe we all would agree Newman would never start ahead of Loyer.

And so the same is true for Myles. He has a lot of talent. But he is never going to replace Loyer as a starter. So he is going to battle Heide, Harris and Catchings for that other opening position.

I’m of the opinion that Catchings is going to grab that open position and Harris will be the 6th man combo guard. And Myles will find himself as our 7th man. Loyer and Smith will both remain for another 2 years. If Catchings grabs the 3 spot rather than the 4 spot, that will leave Myles basically 1 year to be a starter. And he’ll have to compete with Sisley or Mullins for that spot.

And that’s why I compare Myles to Newman. They are two different types of players with nothing in common, except one thing… and that one thing is I don’t see Myles ever starting for Purdue. There will be other players always ahead of him.
Well articulated and you may be right. I agree with your assertions that Loyer is likely to remain a starter and that there will be stiff competition for the 3 and 4 spots.

I would be surprised if Harris takes minutes from Myles, but I was surprised when Loyer took minutes from Newman. Myles needs to show that the difficulties he encountered last year were the result of a steep learning curve and that he’s not a Brandon Newman type with nice tools who struggles to pull it all together.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT