ADVERTISEMENT

Over / under on minutes per game - Myles Colvin

How many minutes per game does Myles play this coming season?

• Total voters

northside100

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2001
Barring unforeseen commitments there's unlikely to be much basketball news over the next few weeks. Interested to get the boards thoughts on how many minutes some of the players at hotly contested positions will play. I might have too many categories here but IMO we're likely to see two or three guys in the 30+ mpg range and a bunch of players ranging from mid teens to mid to high twenties.

I think Myles is likely a mid to high twenties mpg guy but in order to play that many minutes he'll need to make a big enough jump to not only win minutes at the 2/3 spots but also potentially push guys like Heide and Catchings to the 4 spot.

Reactions: tenwest and Schnelk
Good question north. The question that has been burning for me is who will have more of an impact on the program? What Jaden Ivey did or what Kanon Catchings will do?

Reactions: northside100
I believe Catchings and Harris will both play more minutes than Myles.

I also like Jacobson at center. If Jacobson plays significant minutes, that will create the tkr and Catchings shift with Catchings playing the three. If Catchings plays the three , Myles will backup Loyer. And painter has come out saying Loyer and Furst will see greater roles and playing time.

I hate to say it, but I don’t see Myles starting or creating a name for himself. I see Harris beating him out as our third guard.

I also see Painter shifting from his 3 guard offense to a more traditional 2 guard offense with catchings at the 3. Catchings isn’t really a 4.

There seems to be a lot of love for Myles by certain posters here. I just like Catchings,Harris and Jacobson a lot more. Painter is not afraid to play freshmen and I believe our freshmen are all better than Myles.

My take on Myles is he is the second coming of Newman. He has talent. I will not question that. I just think the other players have more talent and are a much better fit. And Myles and Heide and Berg will all find they are the odd men out.

Someone will start and be happy and somebody will lose out. The question will be do they remain loyal and accept positions on the bench? Or will they leave? Guys like Catchings and Zharris didn’t come to Purdue to sit on the bench for the next 2-3 years! Loyer isn’t going anywhere. So you have Harris, Myles, Heide and Catchings all battling for the 3 position! I see Catchings as the winner and Harris backing up smith and Loyer as our 6th man.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

I also like Jacobson at center. If Jacobson plays significant minutes, that will create the tkr and Catchings shift with Catchings playing the three. If Catchings plays the three , Myles will backup Loyer. And painter has come out saying Loyer and Furst will see greater roles and playing time.

I hate to say it, but I don’t see Myles starting or creating a name for himself. I see Harris beating him out as our third guard.

I also see Painter shifting from his 3 guard offense to a more traditional 2 guard offense with catchings at the 3. Catchings isn’t really a 4.

There seems to be a lot of love for Myles by certain posters here. I just like Catchings,Harris and Jacobson a lot more. Painter is not afraid to play freshmen and I believe our freshmen are all better than Myles.

My take on Myles is he is the second coming of Newman. He has talent. I will not question that. I just think the other players have more talent and are a much better fit. And Myles and Heide and Berg will all find they are the odd men out.

Someone will start and be happy and somebody will lose out. The question will be do they remain loyal and accept positions on the bench? Or will they leave? Guys like Catchings and Zharris didn’t come to Purdue to sit on the bench for the next 2-3 years! Loyer isn’t going anywhere. So you have Harris, Myles, Heide and Catchings all battling for the 3 position! I see Catchings as the winner and Harris backing up smith and Loyer as our 6th man.
Myles is more athletic, explosive and a better shooter/scorer than Newman ever was and he’s young for his class too. If he improves at all on defense, he will battle Loyer for mins at the 2. Not sure why you think guys need to start to be happy. If he plays anywhere from 20-25 mins a game, pretty sure he will be happy.

You are very much entitled to your opinion and think we will still be a post centric team/more traditional team but I think starters will be Smith, Loyer, Heide, Catchings and TKR. Heide and Catchings will be interchangeable and even TKR will interchange between the 4 and 5.

Then I expect Colvin and Harris be the back up guards for 1-3 positions, where everyone can interchange at least two positions.And maybe cox mixes in a few mins at point. But don’t get it twisted, the team runs through smith and he runs the show.

In The front court we will see Berg, Furst and Jacobsen getting mins and also all be able to be able to play the 4 and 5.

Burgess and Benter red shirt. Waddell might push for some mins but wouldnt be surprised if he doesn’t play much again (unfortunately).

I like Myles explosiveness. I like his shooting. I like his size for a guard. I like his athletism.

But what CMP runs on each side of the ball this year and how each guy fits in that we will see? Too many unknowns.

For example, there is a lot we don't know about Myles yet, but what we do know as far as his skills looks positive. I do wonder about his handle, can he blow by guys? I still think jury is still out on his team defensive abilities? But guys with athleticism can be better at defense than those without athleticism like Loyer. But the question is, like all new guys, will be, does he have the want to?

One thing for sure, Colvin gets his share of discussion here.

Last edited:
I was a little surprised Myles didn't have more of a dribble, drive, attack the rim, to his game based on highlights from high school.
He's definitely a catch n shoot, very similar to Loyer, but a better athlete.

I think that when the season starts, you will see a significant improvement in three, possibly four, players next year. My sources are telling me that they are running specific drills and putting in additional time in the weight room. I won't name names, but most of you will be bowled over. Others, including the HS seniors, will improve also. but not to the extent of these three or four.

I think that when the season starts, you will see a significant improvement in three, possibly four, players next year. My sources are telling me that they are running specific drills and putting in additional time in the weight room. I won't name names, but most of you will be bowled over. Others, including the HS seniors, will improve also. but not to the extent of these three or four.
Thanks for this. Painter and staff aint no dummies. Players didn’t do certain things last year because the offense was set up around Zach. Colvin and Heide didn’t drive/werent their jobs to drive to the hole. Offense going to look different than the last 2 years.

I was a little surprised Myles didn't have more of a dribble, drive, attack the rim, to his game based on highlights from high school.
He's definitely a catch n shoot, very similar to Loyer, but a better athlete.
I don’t think he was asked/wasn’t really part of the offensive plan. That’ll change this year.

I genuinely enjoy your posts Wol, even when I disagree and/or when they contain inaccuracies.

So Catchings starts at the three, Loyer is the 6th man and Myles backs up Loyer? If Harris is backing up Braden, who starts at the two?

Painter said last offseason that Myles was one of the top 25 players in the country, I have a hard time believing that 'all of our freshmen are better than Myles'. Are the freshmen also pushing Heide out since he'll be one of the 'odd men out'?

I genuinely enjoy your posts Wol, even when I disagree and/or when they contain inaccuracies.

So Catchings starts at the three, Loyer is the 6th man and Myles backs up Loyer? If Harris is backing up Braden, who starts at the two?

Painter said last offseason that Myles was one of the top 25 players in the country, I have a hard time believing that 'all of our freshmen are better than Myles'. Are the freshmen also pushing Heide out since he'll be one of the 'odd men out'?
We are going to try a new strategy and start only 4 players. Keep the defense guessing

Barring unforeseen commitments there's unlikely to be much basketball news over the next few weeks. Interested to get the boards thoughts on how many minutes some of the players at hotly contested positions will play. I might have too many categories here but IMO we're likely to see two or three guys in the 30+ mpg range and a bunch of players ranging from mid teens to mid to high twenties.

I think Myles is likely a mid to high twenties mpg guy but in order to play that many minutes he'll need to make a big enough jump to not only win minutes at the 2/3 spots but also potentially push guys like Heide and Catchings to the 4 spot.
I think 12 is about right. Unless he learns what defense is all about. RIght now, I think there's one spot open at the three to be filled.

If Heide doesn't start, he's certainly the sixth man. JMHO. Could you provide a link on the top 25 with Myles? That's a pretty high evaluation .

So Waddell has bulked up to 240 and will start? :eek:

If Heide doesn't start, he's certainly the sixth man. JMHO. Could you provide a link on the top 25 with Myles? That's a pretty high evaluation .
Took 30 seconds to google it and it’s on one of the main Purdue pages lol.

I think 12 is about right. Unless he learns what defense is all about. RIght now, I think there's one spot open at the three to be filled.
Shocker! I’m actually impressed you stated double digit minutes for him 😂 😂 …but in all seriousness you’re saying he’s only going to get 3.5 more mins a game this year? You don’t think he’s going to make a jump at all? He is still very young for his class too. But if he doesn’t get playing time, that must mean the freshman are REAAAALLLLY good and we have a few one and (would be anwesome and open up some spots for next year!) and/or Painter has no idea what he’s doing. However, I don’t think either of those happen…maybe Catchings goes to the draft.

No matter how much you don’t want him to be/believe it, Myles is going to get a good amount of mins next year and is going to be a lot of ppls favorite player. He’s going to be a major key to our team’s success over the next few years.

You love players youve never seen play in college...got it! Also, Painter has rarely ever played 2 gaurds, not going to happen, especially with the luxury of quality of gaurds we have.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I certainly could (will) not but Google is your friend if you really want to find it. ;) MP video interview shortly after Myles signed. It might have been the same interview where he called Myles the best prospect in the state (despite MSU's Booker ranked in the top five nationally at that time), but I'm not certain.

Agree on Heide, I don't see any scenario in which he doesn't play major minutes either at the 3 or the 4.

I certainly could (will) not but Google is your friend if you really want to find it. ;) MP video interview shortly after Myles signed. It might have been the same interview where he called Myles the best prospect in the state (despite MSU's Booker ranked in the top five nationally at that time), but I'm not certain.

Agree on Heide, I don't see any scenario in which he doesn't play major minutes either at the 3 or the 4.
I googled it in 30 secs and it’s in the article I posted above 😂

Shocker! I’m actually impressed you stated double digit minutes for him 😂 😂 …but in all seriousness you’re saying he’s only going to get 3.5 more mins a game this year? You don’t think he’s going to make a jump at all? He is still very young for his class too. But if he doesn’t get playing time, that must mean the freshman are REAAAALLLLY good and we have a few one and (would be anwesome and open up some spots for next year!) and/or Painter has no idea what he’s doing. However, I don’t think either of those happen…maybe Catchings goes to the draft.

No matter how much you don’t want him to be/believe it, Myles is going to get a good amount of mins next year and is going to be a lot of ppls favorite player. He’s going to be a major key to our team’s success over the next few years.
Agree that 12 minutes is low, maybe really low. I do worry a bit that he doesn't look like the most intuitive player out there. I realize that he's young for his grade and didn't play high-level hs or AAU ball but it wouldn't surprise me if he's just good next year and doesn't really blow up until his junior year.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

I think 12 a game will be about right for him. He's going to get tested by incoming freshmen especially Gicarri and returning vets, and he's not going to replace Smith or Loyer.

He came in behind because of who he didn't play in HS and AAU. Weak HS schedule and maybe a weaker AAU team gave him no tough competition...he simply played to that level.

And I'll be very surprised if Catchings goes pro after one year....which would men he has had a really great season.

I think 12 a game will be about right for him. He's going to get tested by incoming freshmen especially Gicarri and returning vets, and he's not going to replace Smith or Loyer.

He came in behind because of who he didn't play in HS and AAU. Weak HS schedule and maybe a weaker AAU team gave him no tough competition...he simply played to that level.

And I'll be very surprised if Catchings goes pro after one year....which would men he has had a really great season.
How much better do you think he’ll be this coming season than what we saw at the end of this year?

How much better do you think he’ll be this coming season than what we saw at the end of this year?
Apparently Colvin wasn’t that good toward the end of the year…which is crazy to think since he avg 8 min/game down the stretch for the second best team in the country.

Im convinced Colvin beat this guy up and took his lunch money or something because he doesn’t believe Myles is any good and will never compliment him. I’ll just make sure to remind him throughout the season 😊

I don't think Loyer is irreplaceable. He's just so incredibly inconsistent that you don't know if you're going to get 25 or 5 from him.
Painter will have to figure out more sets to get him clean looks since he doesn't create his own shot, although he has put a little bit of dribble/drive into his game.
He and Myles are very similar but if Myles can provide more on D and similar on O, I can see him getting some of Loyers minutes.

I don't think Loyer is irreplaceable. He's just so incredibly inconsistent that you don't know if you're going to get 25 or 5 from him.
Painter will have to figure out more sets to get him clean looks since he doesn't create his own shot, although he has put a little bit of dribble/drive into his game.
He and Myles are very similar but if Myles can provide more on D and similar on O, I can see him getting some of Loyers minutes.
Loyer was pretty damn consistent from 3/2 and on up until the national championship game. And he shot nesr 50% from 3….i do agree that he probably won’t be winning us tons of games if he is playing 25-30 min. I think the other guards we have (Colvin) would be the ones who are able to help us out more. I would think his role turns into more of a guy who hits the open 3 and is that threat but that’s about it. He’s a competitor tho and I hope he is able to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle (somehow) this offseason. He’s still really good for the system. But wouldn’t be surprised if Myles takes more mins as the season goes on.

Reactions: Schnelk
Myles will never be a top defender. Give me Loyer every day over Myles.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Loyer was pretty damn consistent from 3/2 and on up until the national championship game. And he shot nesr 50% from 3….i do agree that he probably won’t be winning us tons of games if he is playing 25-30 min. I think the other guards we have (Colvin) would be the ones who are able to help us out more. I would think his role turns into more of a guy who hits the open 3 and is that threat but that’s about it. He’s a competitor tho and I hope he is able to put on 15-20 lbs of muscle (somehow) this offseason. He’s still really good for the system. But wouldn’t be surprised if Myles takes more mins as the season goes on.
We always hear about guys needing to add mass/muscle, but the reality is, it rarely happens.
Who would you say was the last guy who really needed to, was able to put on 15-20lbs?

We always hear about guys needing to add mass/muscle, but the reality is, it rarely happens.
Who would you say was the last guy who really needed to, was able to put on 15-20lbs?
Ivey was listed at 165 in high school and 195 pre-draft. Fletcher isn't going to add 15 to 20 pounds in this off-season. If he could add 5 to 10 pounds of muscle and continue to get stronger, that would be a big win.

Reactions: Schnelk
Loyer won’t ever be either. Myles will be better after a year in the system.
Better than he was or better than Loyer? Myles has the potential to be a much better individual defender than Fletcher, but I’d be shocked if he is anywhere near him in the coming season with respect to team defense.

Reactions: BBG
Myles is more athletic, explosive and a better shooter/scorer than Newman ever was and he’s young for his class too. If he improves at all on defense, he will battle Loyer for mins at the 2. Not sure why you think guys need to start to be happy. If he plays anywhere from 20-25 mins a game, pretty sure he will be happy.

You are very much entitled to your opinion and think we will still be a post centric team/more traditional team but I think starters will be Smith, Loyer, Heide, Catchings and TKR. Heide and Catchings will be interchangeable and even TKR will interchange between the 4 and 5.

Then I expect Colvin and Harris be the back up guards for 1-3 positions, where everyone can interchange at least two positions.And maybe cox mixes in a few mins at point. But don’t get it twisted, the team runs through smith and he runs the show.

In The front court we will see Berg, Furst and Jacobsen getting mins and also all be able to be able to play the 4 and 5.

Burgess and Benter red shirt. Waddell might push for some mins but wouldnt be surprised if he doesn’t play much again (unfortunately).
I’m not trying to compare the talent of Myles to the talent of Newman.

But rather, I’m comparing their situations. Newman arrived as a much hyped athlete. But there really was no position for him and he could never find his way to be a starter. So rather than continue to play off the bench, Newman left and went to a school where he actually had a chance to start. I believe we all would agree Newman would never start ahead of Loyer.

And so the same is true for Myles. He has a lot of talent. But he is never going to replace Loyer as a starter. So he is going to battle Heide, Harris and Catchings for that other opening position.

I’m of the opinion that Catchings is going to grab that open position and Harris will be the 6th man combo guard. And Myles will find himself as our 7th man. Loyer and Smith will both remain for another 2 years. If Catchings grabs the 3 spot rather than the 4 spot, that will leave Myles basically 1 year to be a starter. And he’ll have to compete with Sisley or Mullins for that spot.

And that’s why I compare Myles to Newman. They are two different types of players with nothing in common, except one thing… and that one thing is I don’t see Myles ever starting for Purdue. There will be other players always ahead of him.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I’m not trying to compare the talent of Myles to the talent of Newman.

But rather, I’m comparing their situations. Newman arrived as a much hyped athlete. But there really was no position for him and he could never find his way to be a starter. So rather than continue to play off the bench, Newman left and went to a school where he actually had a chance to start. I believe we all would agree Newman would never start ahead of Loyer.

And so the same is true for Myles. He has a lot of talent. But he is never going to replace Loyer as a starter. So he is going to battle Heide, Harris and Catchings for that other opening position.

I’m of the opinion that Catchings is going to grab that open position and Harris will be the 6th man combo guard. And Myles will find himself as our 7th man. Loyer and Smith will both remain for another 2 years. If Catchings grabs the 3 spot rather than the 4 spot, that will leave Myles basically 1 year to be a starter. And he’ll have to compete with Sisley or Mullins for that spot.

And that’s why I compare Myles to Newman. They are two different types of players with nothing in common, except one thing… and that one thing is I don’t see Myles ever starting for Purdue. There will be other players always ahead of him.
You’re ranking a high school player who is ranked exactly where Myles was last year at this time over a guy who just went through a full season on the second best team in the country, played decent mins down the stretch and at the beginning of the season…is that right? Can you provide your reasoning for this?

Why won’t Myles be the 6th man? You do know he can play the 2 or 3, right? What if he plays just as many mins as Loyer? Why does it matter if he starts? Mason didn’t start this year but usually played more mins than TKR. Can you explain your obsession with players starting? Do you think that means they aren’t good if they don’t start?

Lastly, Sisley doesn’t play the 2 or 3….i guess he could see some mins at 3 but he’d play mostly the 4–not sure he can guard the 3 in college but Myles is a lot quicker than him. Mullins is more than likely not coming to Purdue, and if he did, Myles would most certainly play more minutes than him as he would have two full years of college experience, quicker, explosive, stronger and Mullins is won’t be near the same level at first. He may get there but he won’t be there by the time he starts as a Frosh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT