ADVERTISEMENT

Our scholarship grid

So you misquoted me first. I never said "nobody will leave..." What I said was "guys DON'T typically transfer from this program" (I copied and pasted it so you don't forget what I said).

Then you misquoted YOURSELF! You've backed off from predicting 2-3 players will leave and now it's just 1-2. Do you realize that your statement of "2-3 of our incoming freshmen will transfer after this year" (I copied and pasted it so you don't forget what you said) is what people are responding to?

Yeah, some guys transfer. Some guys have transferred from Purdue over the years. But it's a far cry from what's happening across the country and the reason is the culture that has developed by Painter.

Sometimes I just wish I didn't fall for clickbait on your posts when someone else responds to them.
Some of us just want to talk sports, and some of us interject other stuff... whether they think you were wrong about some topic two years five months and six days ago, or weird moral discussions about...checks notes, games played with balls.

Having said that, Painter is more of a developer of diamonds in the rough than landing polished diamonds. That certainly helps keep players from transferring. If someone sees something in you others didn't, and/or helps you develop into something, that tends to breed loyalty.

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Link for?

statement previously posted by oldboiler52 in response to someone stating that Smith will be here 4 years:

"No chance! leaks are happening Sam King Lafayette Journal and Courier Tweeted a scout/player/and coach with 40 years in the NBA says he is NBA ready. I mean he's a Naismith and Oscar Robinson finalists. I hope I am wrong, but all signs say no way he stays 4 years."

And this board may be interested in the following discussion:

He’s been a productive college player, but I would be shocked if he sticks in the NBA. His athleticism and explosiveness is not off the charts, nor his stature.

I also found it interesting Painter took him out of the championship game.

Several of those easy layups were due to Edey. I’m curious how good of a season he can have this next year finishing around the basket.

Ok, let’s play devil’s advocate ! You say nobody will leave because they all love it here and they will stay no matter how few minutes they receive! But the facts don’t support your debate!

Painter gives people a survey and only selects the right people who want to stay. Then why did Haarms, , Stephens, Hunter, eastern, Newman and it all leave if they loved it here so much? That’s somewhat contradictory!

We all know there are only so many minutes in a game. If smith gets 30 minutes and Loyer gets 20 minutes, that leaves 30 minutes left for Harris, Myles, cox and benter. I’m sure they will all be happy with those minutes knowing both Loyer and smith have 2 years left.

Catchings is predicted to be a 1-2 year player. If he has a good year, he will likely leave after one year!

So what I’m saying is 1-2 players will leave.

A question I’ll raise to those who disagree with me, I’ll ask one question. If everyone is so happy to be a boiler and is willing to accept playing only 5-15 minutes for the next 2-3 years and play for Purdue when we know our nil isn’t very much, then why if we have no scholarships to give is Purdue wasting their time and resources recruiting anybody?

Unless they expect 1-2 of these players to become unhappy sitting on the bench and leaving?
Facts don’t support your argument that 3-5 of our players will leave after this year including 2-3 freshmen. The rule for transferring changed in spring 2021, there have been 4 off seasons now that this would apply. We’ve had 10 freshman since then an 0 have transferred. Yes all 10 (of which only 2 started) stayed. And all were on this years team except Ivey who went to the NBA.

And in those 4 years the guys that did leave were Newman, Hunter, IT, and wheeler (I don’t count gillis or Morton as they played thei fill 4 years and we don’t have a scholarship to give them, very likely not their choice). All guys who played for Purdue for at least 3 years, most have Purdue degrees and I’m not even sure it was 100% their discretion. That’s an average of 1 (not 3-5) per year. We may get 2 in a year or even an occasional 3, so 1-3. But to say 3-5 is totally baseless.

Please don’t let facts get in the way.

He’s been a productive college player, but I would be shocked if he sticks in the NBA. His athleticism and explosiveness is not off the charts, nor his stature.

I also found it interesting Painter took him out of the championship game.

Several of those easy layups were due to Edey. I’m curious how good of a season he can have this next year finishing around the basket.
This. I think there are only a couple players that have stayed on a team this year under 6-0 and maybe another guy right at 6. Braden doesn’t have the speed this guys do. Smith is a college basketball player and Purdue will find more NIL money than he will make in the NBA.

My gut says that nobody is leaving and in a few weeks a lot of people will wonder why nothing has been said. My guess is that somebody has already agreed to give up a scholarship, perhaps with an expectation of getting some NIL to offset some or all of the cost.

My gut says that nobody is leaving and in a few weeks a lot of people will wonder why nothing has been said. My guess is that somebody has already agreed to give up a scholarship, perhaps with an expectation of getting some NIL to offset some or all of the cost.
Could be, although that would seem to be a thing you wouldn't hold back on

Painter addressed the transfer situation in the NCAA Championship pregame press conference. He spoke about guys transferring from the program over the past 3-4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT