ADVERTISEMENT

Our scholarship grid

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com
Good illustration of our scholly situation. We need either someone to transfer or one of the incoming recruits to go prep school. The challenge if it's the latter is it fills us for 2025-26 as well unless there are subsequent transfers. That's not ideal as we are in on some good recruiting targets in that class as well.

GK10RatXEAAtJuv

The scholarship situation is interesting as we have been pursuing some pretty good recruits for 2025 and it’s pretty full for the next couple years unless people depart…

So the question is, how many guys can you have on a team? Is it based on schollies or headcount? The obvious way around it if it's schollies is have someone pay their way and pony up an NIL. I'm assuming it's schollies, since you've had guys like Martin and Barrett on the bench the last few years.

So the question is, how many guys can you have on a team? Is it based on schollies or headcount? The obvious way around it if it's schollies is have someone pay their way and pony up an NIL. I'm assuming it's schollies, since you've had guys like Martin and Barrett on the bench the last few years.
I wonder if they have any rules around walk-ons and NIL. If they didn't, schools could just load up on "walk-ons" every year.

13 scholarship players, 15 can dress for a game I believe, not sure there’s a limit on total number of players.

Reactions: oldboiler52
IU took that kid from Air Force as a walk on. He never played though, so not sure what the deal was there.

But no rules around a walk on and NIL, AFAIK
I would guess that the court ruling that started NIL applies equally to walk-ons. Generally speaking though, most of the money is going to go to the top players and most players not getting the big NIL bucks will want a scholarship.

I wonder if they have any rules around walk-ons and NIL. If they didn't, schools could just load up on "walk-ons" every year.
So years ago they dropped the football schollie limit to 85 so that the powers at the time wouldn't take all the talent and let them ride pine for 4 years as opposed to going to another school where they'd play against them. Theoretically, that is all out the window. If the war chest is big enough, you could "buy" enough gray shirts (or the BB equivalent) to keep them off other potential other title contenders. The argument is "yeah, but the kids want to play" or "other schools would bid more" but it isn't out of the realm of possibility, especially if it's positional (shooting guard court generals). And I don't think the NCAA can say diddly about it.

I could see someone “giving up” their scholly to allow the extra player. There is precedence for this. Someone like Waddell who is in-state and has maybe $20k worth of tuition and r/b and gets a favorable NIL deal to offset (pretty sure he already gets six figures).

Everyone looks for the loop whole but reality is guys aren’t going to want to transfer to a school with 13 scholarship players. That’s a lot of competition especially at Purdue where they likely need to beat out guys who all were a major part of our rotation on a national runner up. We don’t have many minutes to offer.

I could see someone “giving up” their scholly to allow the extra player. There is precedence for this. Someone like Waddell who is in-state and has maybe $20k worth of tuition and r/b and gets a favorable NIL deal to offset (pretty sure he already gets six figures).
If our 13th man is getting six figures, I don’t want to hear another word about Purdue’s NIL collective not being competitive. More realistically, there’s no way he’s getting close to six figures.

Good illustration of our scholly situation. We need either someone to transfer or one of the incoming recruits to go prep school. The challenge if it's the latter is it fills us for 2025-26 as well unless there are subsequent transfers. That's not ideal as we are in on some good recruiting targets in that class as well.

GK10RatXEAAtJuv
Thanks for posting.

If our 13th man is getting six figures, I don’t want to hear another word about Purdue’s NIL collective not being competitive. More realistically, there’s no way he’s getting close to six figures.
It’s competitive for the 6th-13th players. It’s not competitive when you are throwing millions at bringing guys in. I think it’s a good strategy to spread the wealth. Can you imagine the resentment some of these 3-4 year guys at schools feel when they are getting peanuts and their coach goes out and brings in someone to play over them that is marginally better, zero loyalty to the school, and perhaps isn’t putting in the effort and getting $1m? Creates a toxic locker room. I think that will be a major issue with IU.l, think of Trey Galloway. Seems like a team player but he’s human and will have emotions if he gets benched for a transfer.

Reactions: Tommaker
It’s competitive for the 6th-13th players. It’s not competitive when you are throwing millions at bringing guys in. I think it’s a good strategy to spread the wealth. Can you imagine the resentment some of these 3-4 year guys at schools feel when they are getting peanuts and their coach goes out and brings in someone to play over them that is marginally better, zero loyalty to the school, and perhaps isn’t putting in the effort and getting $1m? Creates a toxic locker room. I think that will be a major issue with IU.l, think of Trey Galloway. Seems like a team player but he’s human and will have emotions if he gets benched for a transfer.
Exactly. I think that’s why so many guys go to the portal (well at least one of the reasons).

If IU wants to win, they are going to recruit over Cupps, Galloway and Leal and all of them will have reduced playing time from last year. For example they are heavy favorites for Rice from WASU. I’m sure they’ll over pay for him and then he will play way more than Cupps. They’ll also recruit over Galloway and Galloway probably will rethink why he came back for a 5th year when he could have made more money elsewhere and played for a better team.

Exactly. I think that’s why so many guys go to the portal (well at least one of the reasons).

If IU wants to win, they are going to recruit over Cupps, Galloway and Leal and all of them will have reduced playing time from last year. For example they are heavy favorites for Rice from WASU. I’m sure they’ll over pay for him and then he will play way more than Cupps. They’ll also recruit over Galloway and Galloway probably will rethink why he came back for a 5th year when he could have made more money elsewhere and played for a better team.
I don’t know if Galloway will get more money somewhere else. Indiana has a war chest and while they are using it as a recruiting tool I suspect they also are using some for retention. They got Renau and Mgbako to come back which was not rumored presumably by giving them some more $. I don’t think Galloway will get more money somewhere just he will be hurt that after giving it his all someone else will take his minutes and wil be making more than him.

I don’t know if Galloway will get more money somewhere else. Indiana has a war chest and while they are using it as a recruiting tool I suspect they also are using some for retention. They got Renau and Mgbako to come back which was not rumored presumably by giving them some more $. I don’t think Galloway will get more money somewhere just he will be hurt that after giving it his all someone else will take his minutes and wil be making more than him.
Very good points and totally agree. I think IU is overpaying Galloway, Leal, Cupps and even Mgbako—just not sold on him. Maybe it’s because i had higher expectations for a 5 star but just he underwhelmed all year. Kinda played better towards end but still lacked the explosiveness…anyways I’ll stop rambling.

NIL is just turning into buying a team every year and I think Purdue is going to have to play the game eventually.

Very good points and totally agree. I think IU is overpaying Galloway, Leal, Cupps and even Mgbako—just not sold on him. Maybe it’s because i had higher expectations for a 5 star but just he underwhelmed all year. Kinda played better towards end but still lacked the explosiveness…anyways I’ll stop rambling.

NIL is just turning into buying a team every year and I think Purdue is going to have to play the game eventually.
Painter does a great job of growing his team. Also how many other teams are able to redshirt like him? We (Brownstown folks) already think Benter is redshirting because his Dad is coaching next year. Everyone thought he was quitting to watch Jack at Purdue

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Painter does a great job of growing his team. Also how many other teams are able to redshirt like him? We (Brownstown folks) already think Benter is redshirting because his Dad is coaching next year. Everyone thought he was quitting to watch Jack at Purdue
Ahhh that would make sense. And yeah it’s great and I hope it’s sustainable for Purdue but I’m getting nervous that eventually we will have to start going to the portal for 3+ guys each year like the other teams since like 3/4 of college bball goes to the portal the following year. A 4 year player or even a 3 year player at a P5 (6?) school seems like it will be very rare in the future. Hope I’m wrong…but seems like Purdue is going to have to play the portal game sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Ahhh that would make sense. And yeah it’s great and I hope it’s sustainable for Purdue but I’m getting nervous that eventually we will have to start going to the portal for 3+ guys each year like the other teams since like 3/4 of college bball goes to the portal the following year. A 4 year player or even a 3 year player at a P5 (6?) school seems like it will be very rare in the future. Hope I’m wrong…but seems like Purdue is going to have to play the portal game sooner rather than later.
Agree. We've dabbled in the portal, but there is going to come a day (season) where we need more than 1 guy to fill a need. That's why I've cautioned people from being too harsh on teams that are going into the portal bigger than we have so far. That's most likely going to be us also.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Agree. We've dabbled in the portal, but there is going to come a day (season) where we need more than 1 guy to fill a need. That's why I've cautioned people from being too harsh on teams that are going into the portal bigger than we have so far. That's most likely going to be us also.
Good point. We have usually only taken 1 year portal kids with the exception being Evan Boudreaux. As much as single year mercenaries can provide positional stability, guys with multiple years can elevate missed recruiting targets.

It’s certainly possible, but the low number of transfers out has to be based on a reason. Players do not want to leave this program. Part of it, I believe, is that Purdue uses its NIL money to reward the guys in the program rather than by trying to make a splash in the portal. Part of it is who Painter recruits and the culture that results. Part of it is that Painter has built trust and that players want to play for him. I’m not saying that there won’t be a season ever when 4 or 5 guys transfer, but I expect it to be the exception and not the norm.

It’s certainly possible, but the low number of transfers out has to be based on a reason. Players do not want to leave this program. Part of it, I believe, is that Purdue uses its NIL money to reward the guys in the program rather than by trying to make a splash in the portal. Part of it is who Painter recruits and the culture that results. Part of it is that Painter has built trust and that players want to play for him. I’m not saying that there won’t be a season ever when 4 or 5 guys transfer, but I expect it to be the exception and not the norm.
There are a lot of reasons a team may "need" to go into the portal for multiple guys.

1. Guys turn pro before their 4th year
2. Injuries
3. Personal reasons for wanting to play somewhere else
4. Grades (not likely, but possible)
5. Getting turned down by players you are offering, leaving you with unbalanced roster

All I'm saying is there have been some on here that have roasted teams that are getting multiple guys from the portal. Some have even been critical of Uconn that only got 1 transfer last year. I'm just cautioning people from doing that. Do I think we are ever going to be getting 4-5 guys from the portal? No, I don't. But I can for sure see us getting 2 or maybe even 3 under the right circumstances.

There are a lot of reasons a team may "need" to go into the portal for multiple guys.

2. Injuries
5. Getting turned down by players you are offering, leaving you with unbalanced roster

All I'm saying is there have been some on here that have roasted teams that are getting multiple guys from the portal. Some have even been critical of Uconn that only got 1 transfer last year. I'm just cautioning people from doing that. Do I think we are ever going to be getting 4-5 guys from the portal? No, I don't. But I can for sure see us getting 2 or maybe even 3 under the right circumstances.
UConn had 4 transfers in 2023 and 2 of them stayed this year (Newton and Diarra) and then only needed 1 guy this year via transfer portal (Spencer). Hurley is not a huge fan of the transfer portal but those guys were huge in their success the last two years. I think we will start to see painter use it for 1-2 guys…I’m not sure when but he will be forced to play.

2. Injuries

I think the only likely way we need 3 from the portal any time soon is if we have breakout performances from multiple guys and put 2-3 guys in the NBA off the same team. This years team has Colvin, Catchings, and TKR all with NBA potential and a couple more with long shot possibilities (I don't see it happening at all though) as an example.

The good news is that if we have 2-3 guys going to the NBA on the same team we will likely have a pretty amazing season, so filling the gaps will be easier whether from the portal or new recruits.

I think the only likely way we need 3 from the portal any time soon is if we have breakout performances from multiple guys and put 2-3 guys in the NBA off the same team. This years team has Colvin, Catchings, and TKR all with NBA potential and a couple more with long shot possibilities (I don't see it happening at all though) as an example.

The good news is that if we have 2-3 guys going to the NBA on the same team we will likely have a pretty amazing season, so filling the gaps will be easier whether from the portal or new recruits.
Smith is also on that list of potential NBA players.

I’m going to be negative And say 2-3 of our incoming freshmen will transfer after this year.

I believe Catchings will only be at Purdue for 1 year. If he’s a star, he’ll leave for the NBA. If he’s not a star, he’ll leave to go to a school that will promise he will be their star.

I also believe 1-2 of Myles, Harris, Heide, Cox and Benter will leave after next year. Whoever ends up starting will stay. Whoever ends up not starting will leave. If Myles is not starting by the end of next year, I can’t see him staying. The same applies to Heide. I highly doubt Harris came to Purdue to be a backup point guard. If he doesn’t get the starting role, I highly doubt he sticks around. I also believe Cox and Benter will leave to find more playing time.

Look at other major programs. If you’re a top 50 player and you’re not starting or seeing significant playing time, you enter the portal and leave for greener pastures! Or if your team doesn’t win a championship like the guy from UW, you leave.

because of their high rankings, I predicted Both Newman and TKR would leave if they didn’t start. It was easy to predict eastern would leave. Tkr surprised me and decided to stay. Newman stated in a press conference he didn’t come to Purdue with the intention of redshirting.

I’m going to be negative And say 2-3 of our incoming freshmen will transfer after this year.

I believe Catchings will only be at Purdue for 1 year. If he’s a star, he’ll leave for the NBA. If he’s not a star, he’ll leave to go to a school that will promise he will be their star.

I also believe 1-2 of Myles, Harris, Heide, Cox and Benter will leave after next year. Whoever ends up starting will stay. Whoever ends up not starting will leave. If Myles is not starting by the end of next year, I can’t see him staying. The same applies to Heide. I highly doubt Harris came to Purdue to be a backup point guard. If he doesn’t get the starting role, I highly doubt he sticks around. I also believe Cox and Benter will leave to find more playing time.

Look at other major programs. If you’re a top 50 player and you’re not starting or seeing significant playing time, you enter the portal and leave for greener pastures! Or if your team doesn’t win a championship like the guy from UW, you leave.

because of their high rankings, I predicted Both Newman and TKR would leave if they didn’t start. It was easy to predict eastern would leave. Tkr surprised me and decided to stay. Newman stated in a press conference he didn’t come to Purdue with the intention of redshirting.
So much to unpack here….

When Painter recruits, he has guys take a personality test. Based on this test, he extends an offer or not. The guys he’s recruiting, fit his system and know what it takes to start. TKR is not your typical college athlete. Dude is majoring in philosophy and loves Purdue. He thinks differently than a typical athlete. He is going to start next year and be a key player for us. Newman seemed to never put it together. When he got a chance to start at the end of last year, as much as I was rooting for him, he had lazy passes and couldn’t seize the opportunity to stand out. He was pretty average at WKU this year…which also meant Heide and Colvin were going to take his minutes.

Catchings will be a 1-2 year player for us. The Covid year guys are really throwing incoming freshman off because they can be anywhere from 4-8 years older and a lot aren’t leaving school to chase that NIL money and that’s pretty significant. Kanon has a good crew backing him and I don’t think he leaves, unless it’s to the NBA. If not, he will be back for year 2. Same thing with Myles. He’s got a great crew backing him and as TJ said long ago, him and his dad have a plan. Also both these kids will see big mins.

Heide has family in WL and family is tied to Purdue. He will also see big mins so why would he leave after that?

Benter and Cox more than likely will RS, so not sure why he’d leave after that…especially Cox who was overlooked by all other big schools except Purdue. So why would he leave? Harris should get good mins too, is a legacy, and has had a lot of family go to Purdue.

Not sure about your stat on being a top 50 player…usually those guys leave for the nba and some stay at their school. So that’d leave only a few to transfer. I think guys are transferring not for playing time but…money! 🫢 take your example, Storr. He has played on something like 8 different teams in 8 years and was “allegedly” seeking $1M from Kansas to sign there and turned down $750k.

Link for?

I added Smith to JRKinn's list of Colvin, Catchings, and TKR having NBA potential.

Addendum: Although this was my opinion, at the time I was thinking about the following statement previously posted by oldboiler52 in response to someone stating that Smith will be here 4 years:

"No chance! leaks are happening Sam King Lafayette Journal and Courier Tweeted a scout/player/and coach with 40 years in the NBA says he is NBA ready. I mean he's a Naismith and Oscar Robinson finalists. I hope I am wrong, but all signs say no way he stays 4 years."

And this board may be interested in the following discussion:

Last edited:
So much to unpack here….

When Painter recruits, he has guys take a personality test. Based on this test, he extends an offer or not. The guys he’s recruiting, fit his system and know what it takes to start. TKR is not your typical college athlete. Dude is majoring in philosophy and loves Purdue. He thinks differently than a typical athlete. He is going to start next year and be a key player for us. Newman seemed to never put it together. When he got a chance to start at the end of last year, as much as I was rooting for him, he had lazy passes and couldn’t seize the opportunity to stand out. He was pretty average at WKU this year…which also meant Heide and Colvin were going to take his minutes.

Catchings will be a 1-2 year player for us. The Covid year guys are really throwing incoming freshman off because they can be anywhere from 4-8 years older and a lot aren’t leaving school to chase that NIL money and that’s pretty significant. Kanon has a good crew backing him and I don’t think he leaves, unless it’s to the NBA. If not, he will be back for year 2. Same thing with Myles. He’s got a great crew backing him and as TJ said long ago, him and his dad have a plan. Also both these kids will see big mins.

Heide has family in WL and family is tied to Purdue. He will also see big mins so why would he leave after that?

Benter and Cox more than likely will RS, so not sure why he’d leave after that…especially Cox who was overlooked by all other big schools except Purdue. So why would he leave? Harris should get good mins too, is a legacy, and has had a lot of family go to Purdue.

Not sure about your stat on being a top 50 player…usually those guys leave for the nba and some stay at their school. So that’d leave only a few to transfer. I think guys are transferring not for playing time but…money! 🫢 take your example, Storr. He has played on something like 8 different teams in 8 years and was “allegedly” seeking $1M from Kansas to sign there and turned down $750k.
Kudos to you for doing the "unpacking." Kids transfer for different reasons. I have no idea why anyone would already predict that 2-3 incoming kids will transfer, particularly from Purdue's program. We do it differently. We develop kids, and on top of that, choose kids BECAUSE they want to be developed. Would Painter love to get studs, like Kanon and Biggie? Yeah, of course. But he's developing a program by bringing guys in who want to develop in a team concept.

I really don't know what bringing Newman into the conversation does here. If you didn't notice, he's in the portal again for his Covid year. Doesn't Painter tell freshmen the truth and let THEM make the call on redshirting or not? We have this same conversation every year.

You know why we are already being listed in Top 10s for next year? Because our roster is more predictable than most because guys DON'T typically transfer from this program.

Kudos to you for doing the "unpacking." Kids transfer for different reasons. I have no idea why anyone would already predict that 2-3 incoming kids will transfer, particularly from Purdue's program. We do it differently. We develop kids, and on top of that, choose kids BECAUSE they want to be developed. Would Painter love to get studs, like Kanon and Biggie? Yeah, of course. But he's developing a program by bringing guys in who want to develop in a team concept.

I really don't know what bringing Newman into the conversation does here. If you didn't notice, he's in the portal again for his Covid year. Doesn't Painter tell freshmen the truth and let THEM make the call on redshirting or not? We have this same conversation every year.

You know why we are already being listed in Top 10s for next year? Because our roster is more predictable than most because guys DON'T typically transfer from this program.
And Newman stayed 3 years after his redshirt year. He obviously wasn't overly upset by redshirting. So yeah, strange to include him in the discussion.

Ok, let’s play devil’s advocate ! You say nobody will leave because they all love it here and they will stay no matter how few minutes they receive! But the facts don’t support your debate!

Painter gives people a survey and only selects the right people who want to stay. Then why did Haarms, , Stephens, Hunter, eastern, Newman and it all leave if they loved it here so much? That’s somewhat contradictory!

We all know there are only so many minutes in a game. If smith gets 30 minutes and Loyer gets 20 minutes, that leaves 30 minutes left for Harris, Myles, cox and benter. I’m sure they will all be happy with those minutes knowing both Loyer and smith have 2 years left.

Catchings is predicted to be a 1-2 year player. If he has a good year, he will likely leave after one year!

So what I’m saying is 1-2 players will leave.

A question I’ll raise to those who disagree with me, I’ll ask one question. If everyone is so happy to be a boiler and is willing to accept playing only 5-15 minutes for the next 2-3 years and play for Purdue when we know our nil isn’t very much, then why if we have no scholarships to give is Purdue wasting their time and resources recruiting anybody?

Unless they expect 1-2 of these players to become unhappy sitting on the bench and leaving?

You clearly don’t understand the types of players painter recruits and his commitment to them. We will for sure have attrition but we have 12 scholarship players on our team and 10 of them played for us last year, 6 didn’t start and came back (Heide, Gillis, Morton, Furst, Berg, and Waddell) and only lost one in Newton. Three of those guys rode the bench in 2022 after having later roles in 2021 and still chose to come back for 2023.

Also catchings is a project. We have seen projects leave after 1 year in other programs but I would be surprised if he left after 1 year he is more like an Ivey or Carsen type player. I don’t think he will redshirt but he will likely understand he won’t get starter minutes next year.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Ok, let’s play devil’s advocate ! You say nobody will leave because they all love it here and they will stay no matter how few minutes they receive! But the facts don’t support your debate!
He definitely did not say that everyone will stay no matter what. He said he doesn't understand why you are already predicting multiple incoming guys will leave before they even get here.

Reactions: PUQBMan.

So what I’m saying is 1-2 players will leave.
So you misquoted me first. I never said "nobody will leave..." What I said was "guys DON'T typically transfer from this program" (I copied and pasted it so you don't forget what I said).

Then you misquoted YOURSELF! You've backed off from predicting 2-3 players will leave and now it's just 1-2. Do you realize that your statement of "2-3 of our incoming freshmen will transfer after this year" (I copied and pasted it so you don't forget what you said) is what people are responding to?

Yeah, some guys transfer. Some guys have transferred from Purdue over the years. But it's a far cry from what's happening across the country and the reason is the culture that has developed by Painter.

Sometimes I just wish I didn't fall for clickbait on your posts when someone else responds to them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT