ADVERTISEMENT

Our Purdue team just started their run !

MJ-79Boiler

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 3, 2015
I have long thought that this team had MAJOR POTENTIAL written all over it and that with continual improvement throughout the year, they would be a damn tough team to beat come March !

My utopian view, recognizing that we had key freshmen and sophomores which we had to rely on, was that they would do enough during the season to get a 3 seed, which I believe would offer them a legitimate shot at a final four run.

I STILL believe in this vision. When others have faded into the woodwork after recent losses, I continue to see a BIG picture which shows us getting better and better and not one where we have to think "they just aren't what we thought". We are young ! Lots of key freshmen and sophomores ! !

To those who say my previous comparison to the baby boilers was crazy and inaccurate I say . . wait until the end of the year before you judge me. I have always said the baby boilers were juniors and seniors and as such SHOULD have been more polished at the beginning of the season than our current freshmen and sophomore laden team. To those that said we are making too many turnovers and what makes me think we will continue to improve like I have been expecting, I say "YESTERDAY" ! ! ! !

Yesterday we did something that we haven't done since the baby boilers - we beat Michigan State and beat a top 10 team. We also had to come back against a team which has been firing on all cylinders the last few games. Had our improvements occurred quicker, we could have very easily been 2-1 against top 5 teams right now too ! I still believe this team offers MORE firepower and potential than the baby boilers did . And before you prematurely chastise me for comparing the two, remember this - The baby boilers did NOT dominate the boards like this team does and that's critical in the NCAA tournament. They were also not as BIG and as DEEP as this team is. What if Kendall , Dakota and Ryan start lighting it up at the end of the year ? ? We have lots and lots of weapons on this team - just too many which haven't been clicking fully yet. But we ALL know we have them. However, if they start to, many will be saying : " Why couldn't I see this coming ?"

Yes , we are making too many turnovers and yes for a team which supposedly has high b-ball IQ we make some EXTREMELY dumb decisions at the wrong time ! But we are young and learning how to win the tough games and who are our go-to guys and go-to plays. Yesterday, was a watershed moment for me. We found a way to come back when we SHOULD HAVE folded after losing an 18 pt lead.

Bottom line: If we beat IU and Maryland, I think we end up getting a 3 seed. I think it's that simple.

To do that, we have to pass the second hurdle though - we have to learn not to get caught up in the hype and stay focused - or Michigan will give us a wake-up call along side our heads. We learned from our Iowa collapse. Lets see if we learned from our prior drop in the national rankings (With the Illinois game) If so, I am betting we will be ready for IU and Maryland and VERY glad I have my Maryland tickets !

FEAR THE BEARDS BABY - they are for real ! ! They may still lose a few, but by March I think they will be the team NOONE will want to draw. Boiler UP and HAMMONS (oops !) HAMMER DOWN ! ! !

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT