ADVERTISEMENT

Our Guard Play

pubill

Sophomore
Jan 2, 2021
This is the area that let us down today. Edey was manhandled and fouled every time down the court, but it seems how he is going to be called. Edey has some excuse for his 6 TOs.

But I don't believe missed fouls had much to do with our guard issues. Braden was awful in 2nd half, 1-7 from field for game, lots of shots that had no chance to go in going to the bucket, had 3 turnovers, should have had another one when he was bailed out with a foul call on Audiz as Braden was bringing it up court. Matt said they practiced and talked of getting ball moving against the press , so as to not get caught for 10 seconds, that was on Braden, too many passes where he is hoping to find someone and then not. He really played like a frosh tonight and I don't think officiating is any of his excuse.

Loyer cannot get open and when he does get an open 3 cannot make it lately. Let Audiz take the ball right out of his hands and go down for a dunk, that was key play in the game. He definitely needs to get stronger and am sure he will.

Newman actually played one of his better floor games, and made some defensive plays in 1st half but lost his man a few times in 2nd that hurt us. But where he really killed us was he had 3 wide open 3's and missed them all, and that is supposed to be his game.

Guard play lost us the IU game and now this one. I love our frosh guards, but to make any kind of deep run they must get better quick.

I think we have seen the "rolling average" for the ceiling of our guards over the course of February. I said previously that the development of our guards between the IU game and March Madness will be one of the most fascinating storylines of this season. I'm worried that we have plateaued in a major way.

Compare us to Bama, whose freshmen seem to be really developing and firing on all cylinders...

Frosh be frosh today.

Hope they learn from this. They have got to learn how to play against a rough press as it will happen every game from here on out.....or it will be a shortened post season. One thing for sure they will get a lot of in game practice. Lol

This is the area that let us down today. Edey was manhandled and fouled every time down the court, but it seems how he is going to be called. Edey has some excuse for his 6 TOs.

But I don't believe missed fouls had much to do with our guard issues. Braden was awful in 2nd half, 1-7 from field for game, lots of shots that had no chance to go in going to the bucket, had 3 turnovers, should have had another one when he was bailed out with a foul call on Audiz as Braden was bringing it up court. Matt said they practiced and talked of getting ball moving against the press , so as to not get caught for 10 seconds, that was on Braden, too many passes where he is hoping to find someone and then not. He really played like a frosh tonight and I don't think officiating is any of his excuse.

Loyer cannot get open and when he does get an open 3 cannot make it lately. Let Audiz take the ball right out of his hands and go down for a dunk, that was key play in the game. He definitely needs to get stronger and am sure he will.

Newman actually played one of his better floor games, and made some defensive plays in 1st half but lost his man a few times in 2nd that hurt us. But where he really killed us was he had 3 wide open 3's and missed them all, and that is supposed to be his game.

Guard play lost us the IU game and now this one. I love our frosh guards, but to make any kind of deep run they must get better quick.
Concerning the tourney,Purdue needs to be solid for 3 games and then a little over 1 week of playing well in the tourney. We shall see if there is growth Thursday and the rest of the season.

Two bad recruits that are freshmen. Most of the fans today say they're the problem. I disagree.

What concerns my about guard play, is that the haven't learned from the full court presses. Smith is trying to break it all by himself, eating up 8-10 second of the shot clock. Earlier this year and last year, Furst or Gillis would come up to center court for a pass then dump it to an open player breaking down the sidle line. That isn't happening lately.
Also, Smith has to to quit getting airborne to throw passes!!!

Two bad recruits that are freshmen. Most of the fans today say they're the problem. I disagree.
Don't misread me, I love Braden and Fletcher and they are and have been great Boilers. Glad we have them, but they had bad game yesterday. That can happen and will for frosh.

Jenkins in for Loyer would have been a wise move yesterday. Stronger and would not be pushed around nor intimidated

Don't misread me, I love Braden and Fletcher and they are and have been great Boilers. Glad we have them, but they had bad game yesterday. That can happen and will for frosh.
One thing you did miss on though is that some of those times Braden drives and gets it on the board are actually there for Zach to get. They aren't really shots. That happened once yesterday.

Reactions: Schnelk
Opposing teams have plenty of tape on our guards now and kind of know tendencies.
I see the problem as 2 fold though:
1) other than ZE, we're really reliant on hitting open jumpers because we don't have anyone who can get their own shot against good man/man D. Smith and Loyer have shown the willingness and ability to drive, but if they don't finish, they rarely get the foul call.
2) And if you're going to be a team that relies on 2 things (post scoring from ZE and 3 pt shooting), when you go cold from 3, we see what happens.

Experienced guards will be your Achilles heel in the tourney. PU is one experience PG away from being a FF team. Bouie and Audige gave teams the blueprint for beating the Boilers. It’s too bad because Painter is terrific and your frontline is good enough to win the National Championship.

I think we have seen the "rolling average" for the ceiling of our guards over the course of February. I said previously that the development of our guards between the IU game and March Madness will be one of the most fascinating storylines of this season. I'm worried that we have plateaued in a major way.

Compare us to Bama, whose freshmen seem to be really developing and firing on all cylinders...
Yep. Which is why rankings DO matter.

One thing you did miss on though is that some of those times Braden drives and gets it on the board are actually there for Zach to get. They aren't really shots. That happened once yesterday.
But we did little offensive rebounding yesterday.

But we did little offensive rebounding yesterday.
There were a lot of problems. I thought Zach was asleep early letting a couple of lobs get through and then you had 3 or 4 misses that bounce into their hands for 2 pts after the rebound. I think there is plenty of fault to go around. I'm unsure the team was ready and always a worry if Purdue comes out and hits the three ball at a good clip and never really gets into the physical grind and then when the shots quit falling, the MO changes and sometime never get it back.

I was really happy to get into bonus early in the second half, but being in it was of no value to Purdue. However, I was just saying that all through this season there are times that Braden just puts it on the glass for Zach to finish and that was "one" of those drives. Brandon with time can be an outstanding shooter, but he missed a couple where he had plenty of time and missed.

This team is structured around Zach. The whole world knows that in single coverage he will try to score and in double he will hit the open man. That said it looked like the doubles at time when he was more mid post were high enough on him that a drop step and lay up with his left hand was there? Since the IU game...teams are covering those outlets as the pass to the post kicks out to the weakside and those weakside D is playing the pass. I would like to see the post (talking side) feed if nto scored passed back out to the player that passed it first for a secondary repost and feed to get those playing the outlet to be in rotation as well. To do that you need clock and the press eats clock... ;( That said the freshman are well scouted and the nifty (not fundamental can't jump and then figure out where to pass) passes Braden made earlier in the year are not there or were not there yesterday. Lobs to Zack when driving side of lane or baseline are defended and baseline feed to corner is covered as well. Why can't caleb make an 8 ft shot? He is underneath or behind the arc. Mr Basketball is not a 3 pt shooter, but you would like to think he could hit an 8 ft shot. I know the difference in the weighting of shots, but sometimes that is better than a 3 ball shot?

We could take any player and find a deficiency yesterday and so you "hope" they learn to be mentally ready to play...even if you do have a cushion...even if you do hit the three ball early....ex[pect their A game and know the game is going to be a war...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT