ADVERTISEMENT

OT - unused girls golf scholarships

Two things:

This is why my two oldest girls (13 and 11) both have better sets than me, have lessons, and we go to driving range. :)

I think coaches are hesitant to give out scholarships due to Golf being a non revenue generating spot and give a 35,000 or more scholarship just to fill a spot could be frowned upon

A lot of these unused ships are to private schools that are wildly expensive. A an in state kid can go to Purdue for roughly 20k/year or get a 20k ship to a private school but still end up paying 30k/year. One would basically be paying 10k/year to continue playing golf in college.

Another part of the equation (for state schools) is whether or not the student athlete is a state resident or not.

The athletic department pays the tuition to the university and pays in-state tuition for residents and out of state rate for non-residents.

Another issue to consider is title 9 ramifications too. There are a lot of of factors.

Reactions: Purdue85
Interesting.

Many years ago (15? time flies) I remember reading essentially the same thing: one of the best opportunities for a college scholarship was girls golf.

Hunk, I don't know about your analysis. Baseball has some similarities, yet many of the D2,3 and NAIA schools have full baseball rosters. Unless you're an absolute STUD, you're still only getting a partial baseball scholarship at the D1 level. (Many of those studs are drafted and take the minor league route.)

In the end I think it's simply an issue of supply<demand.

Reactions: Mullah
in my son's sport - track, their scholarships are determined by their performance and negotiated. if they make the NCAA tournament, they receive a full scholarship. If they make All Conference, they receive a partial scholarship. if they compete and win and score a lot of points towards team wins, they receive a partial scholarship. Last year, my son made all conference in indoor and outdoor competition. he's expecting to receive a 60% scholarship.

I'm not sure how accurate this is. But, a local girl, a senior in high shcool told me that Purdue's golf scholarships all go to international students. This may or may not be true but this girl has been in the girl's tournament for her first 3 seasons and will certainly be there this
year. She has aroused interest from other universities. If it is correct, why?
Wrd

Another part of the equation (for state schools) is whether or not the student athlete is a state resident or not.

The athletic department pays the tuition to the university and pays in-state tuition for residents and out of state rate for non-residents.

Another issue to consider is title 9 ramifications too. There are a lot of of factors.
I thought at one point Purdue's athletic scholarships were "charged" by the school at out of state tuition regardless of where the athlete was from? I may be wrong but I thought was discussed here several years ago.

in my son's sport - track, their scholarships are determined by their performance and negotiated. if they make the NCAA tournament, they receive a full scholarship. If they make All Conference, they receive a partial scholarship. if they compete and win and score a lot of points towards team wins, they receive a partial scholarship. Last year, my son made all conference in indoor and outdoor competition. he's expecting to receive a 60% scholarship.
There's still only a finite amount of scholarship dollars for the team. In this model, the more successfully players on the team perform the less amount (%) a partial scholarship would be worth. Put another way, if every athlete was all conference they would all get a very small %.

I thought at one point Purdue's athletic scholarships were "charged" by the school at out of state tuition regardless of where the athlete was from? I may be wrong but I thought was discussed here several years ago.

You very well could be correct. I was speaking in general terms. Most universities pay two different rates (at least they did at one time). It's entirely up to each school to decide policy.

Daniels likes to use athletics to subsidize academics. If that is Purdue's policy then the academic side gets more money since they are getting state funding for those in-state athletes.

Interesting.

Many years ago (15? time flies) I remember reading essentially the same thing: one of the best opportunities for a college scholarship was girls golf.

Hunk, I don't know about your analysis. Baseball has some similarities, yet many of the D2,3 and NAIA schools have full baseball rosters. Unless you're an absolute STUD, you're still only getting a partial baseball scholarship at the D1 level. (Many of those studs are drafted and take the minor league route.)

In the end I think it's simply an issue of supply<demand.
It just comes down to how bad you want to keep playing the sport. There are a lot more boys playing baseball and thus the numbers of those wishing to continue playing in college will be far greater than the number of girls who wish to continue playing golf. I'm a former club pro and my daughter just finished up playing high school golf. She chose to go to Purdue and stop playing - partly because she didn't love it enough but also because it was cheaper for her to go to Purdue than "paying to play" so to speak at private school.

I'm not sure how accurate this is. But, a local girl, a senior in high shcool told me that Purdue's golf scholarships all go to international students. This may or may not be true but this girl has been in the girl's tournament for her first 3 seasons and will certainly be there this
year. She has aroused interest from other universities. If it is correct, why?
Wrd
Purdue only brings in international players. They are the best. Most are from well to do parents financially but get full rides to Purdue. It is not just Purdue, check out Northwestern. All the top 10 to 20 programs are mostly international players. Men programs are different as US men still are better than most international, but not all. A US girl would have to be top 25 AJGA ranked or top 50 in amateur rankings to get Mr. Brouse's attention.

Purdue only brings in international players. They are the best. Most are from well to do parents financially but get full rides to Purdue. It is not just Purdue, check out Northwestern. All the top 10 to 20 programs are mostly international players. Men programs are different as US men still are better than most international, but not all. A US girl would have to be top 25 AJGA ranked or top 50 in amateur rankings to get Mr. Brouse's attention.
Name a good player who is not from a well to do parents. You can't. Golf is a wealthy person's game if you want to be one of the best in the country. Plus its not a sport that is attractive to low income kids for a variety of reasons.

It just comes down to how bad you want to keep playing the sport. There are a lot more boys playing baseball and thus the numbers of those wishing to continue playing in college will be far greater than the number of girls who wish to continue playing golf. I'm a former club pro and my daughter just finished up playing high school golf. She chose to go to Purdue and stop playing - partly because she didn't love it enough but also because it was cheaper for her to go to Purdue than "paying to play" so to speak at private school.

That's correct, and I think that goes toward my point. I think there's a much greater supply of baseball players vs girls golfers.

It looks like my son will be facing a similar decision your daughter faced. He's a legit D2/3/NAIA baseball player. Unless he "blows up" this year he'll likely not catch Purdue's eye (for baseball). So. . . play D2/3/NAIA, or give up baseball and go where his heart is.

Reactions: hunkgolden
Name a good player who is not from a well to do parents. You can't. Golf is a wealthy person's game if you want to be one of the best in the country. Plus its not a sport that is attractive to low income kids for a variety of reasons.
Seve Ballesteros and Lee Trevino were from very modest backgrounds. Tiger Woods came from a military family, but they had access to golf courses because of that. The Wood's family was comfortable, but not rich or well to do. Many of today's younger up and coming stars like Ricky Fowler, Justin Thomas, etc all came from middle class families who sacrificed their time and resources for their son's golf careers. I do agree that golf is an expensive sport to be heavily involved in. It is difficult for low income kids to get started for sure, but there are programs to help. I guess it just depends on what your definition of "rich" is. Many top golfers today did not grow up impoverished, but did not come from exceptionally wealthy families either. Golf, unlike team sports, is totally up to the individual player. Your score is what it is and you can't hide behind your parents and coaches and claim your performance is someone else's fault. Your generalizations are accurate historically, but today not every tour player came from wealthy parents.

A lot of these unused ships are to private schools that are wildly expensive. A an in state kid can go to Purdue for roughly 20k/year or get a 20k ship to a private school but still end up paying 30k/year. One would basically be paying 10k/year to continue playing golf in college.
Yup. I had 3 cousins get tennis scholarships to IWU, and they all had to borrow more than I did going to Purdue with no scholarship.

Correct. Check out the 2017-2018 Purdue Women's golf roster - only two Americans I believe. If you ever check the LPGA tournament scores, usually you have to read pretty far down to find an American name. There is one player whose name is so long it goes over into the next line!

Correct. Check out the 2017-2018 Purdue Women's golf roster - only two Americans I believe. If you ever check the LPGA tournament scores, usually you have to read pretty far down to find an American name. There is one player whose name is so long it goes over into the next line!
Most of the one's who are at the top of the leaderboard do not go to college in the US. As previous posters have said, your daughter has to really, really want it. College golf is a strain, it is not fun. They miss a lot of class and huge competition within just the team as they only play 5, count 4. When you finish last on your team in a tournament, that person has to have a playoff with the 2 or 3 others who did not go when they return back to school. The coach has a certain amount they can give out. Most do partials and will give you an increase each year based on how you perform. At the D1 level, the competition is quite a shock even when you are a top performer in high school. A lot of D2 and D3 schools have great programs and offer money. DePauw has a great program.

Seve Ballesteros and Lee Trevino were from very modest backgrounds. Tiger Woods came from a military family, but they had access to golf courses because of that. The Wood's family was comfortable, but not rich or well to do. Many of today's younger up and coming stars like Ricky Fowler, Justin Thomas, etc all came from middle class families who sacrificed their time and resources for their son's golf careers. I do agree that golf is an expensive sport to be heavily involved in. It is difficult for low income kids to get started for sure, but there are programs to help. I guess it just depends on what your definition of "rich" is. Many top golfers today did not grow up impoverished, but did not come from exceptionally wealthy families either. Golf, unlike team sports, is totally up to the individual player. Your score is what it is and you can't hide behind your parents and coaches and claim your performance is someone else's fault. Your generalizations are accurate historically, but today not every tour player came from wealthy parents.

Almost all the greats were either country club kids (Nicklaus, Watson, Palmer, Bobby Jones) or caddies (Hogan, Nelson, Sarazen, Snead, Trevino). Ballesteros came from a whole family of golfers. Justin Thomas's dad is a club pro. Woods as you said had access to courses and started at 2. Fowler is the one weird self-taught exception.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT