ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Thoughts on Biles quitting (don't you dare click on this PUQBMan)

Since I have not watched two minutes of the Olympics this year, I can honestly say I could care less. IMHO, you quit....you're a loser. And a quitter/loser can never be the greatest
No, it's worse than that as because not doing it sooner means someone is sitting at home that would've otherwise gotten a chance to go. That's the kicker to me.

No, it's worse than that as because not doing it sooner means someone is sitting at home that would've otherwise gotten a chance to go. That's the kicker to me.
How about the girl who was forced into action at a moment's notice? Wonder what her mental state was. Forget Biles. Jordan Chiles is the one people should be celebrating.

I thought it was pretty lame at first, but the whole "lost in the air" really did seem to apply to her as of recent. If it's not a fluke thing and kept happening like it was for her, then it's probably not something she wanted to gamble getting seriously hurt over. If you watched that slow-mo replay NBC showed that led up to her decision to drop out, something was clearly messing with her decision-making and she looked unsure and even scared in the air.

The GOAT talk and glorification is partly on her because she played right into it. I'm not saying she isn't or that it wasn't deserved because she has more physical talent and athleticism that even most men could only dream to have. But she's now complaining about pressure and distractions that she also once embraced.

That said, everyone goes through things where we learn things about ourselves and our cracking points. While inopportune for her and her country, this is one of those moments for her. To her credit, I'm glad she's not making other excuses for it and also still being supportive of Team USA.

Since I have not watched two minutes of the Olympics this year, I can honestly say I could care less. IMHO, you quit....you're a loser. And a quitter/loser can never be the greatest
So, by your logic, Lou Gehrig can never be in the discussion as the greatest baseball player because he quit and is a loser?

I don’t want to hear that it is not the same, because, by all means, it is. They both stopped competing because of a medical condition. And yes, mental health issues are a medical condition and should be treated as such.

So, by your logic, Lou Gehrig can never be in the discussion as the greatest baseball player because he quit and is a loser?

I don’t want to hear that it is not the same, because, by all means, it is. They both stopped competing because of a medical condition. And yes, mental health issues are a medical condition and should be treated as such.
Lol are you serious? You have any idea what Lou Gehrig’s disease is like? Mental health issues suck, but it ain’t Lou Gehrig’s disease just like it ain’t MS.

PS Lou Gehrig just isn’t the best ever because he doesn’t have the resume .. if he kept playing he was no Willie Mays.

I don’t care one way or another about biles… I think it’s great to stoke the flames of the imaginary right left paradigm.. but it’s mostly irrelevant..

but that was just a ridiculous statement

Lol are you serious? You have any idea what Lou Gehrig’s disease is like? Mental health issues suck, but it ain’t Lou Gehrig’s disease just like it ain’t MS.

PS Lou Gehrig just isn’t the best ever because he doesn’t have the resume .. if he kept playing he was no Willie Mays.

I don’t care one way or another about biles… I think it’s great to stoke the flames of the imaginary right left paradigm.. but it’s mostly irrelevant..

but that was just a ridiculous statement
Haha. There it is. I knew someone would try to come back and argue that mental health and ALS are not the same. I was never comparing the two health issues.

I was responding to the broad statement: “IMHO, you quit....you're a loser. And a quitter/loser can never be the greatest”

Lou Gehrig quit in the middle of the season, so based on the above statement, he is a loser and not the greatest. In case you were wondering, I don’t subscribe to that notion.

The idea that a supposed adult calls an athlete that puts the time, dedication, and effort into excelling at their sport, on the world stage, a “loser”, no matter the outcome of the competition, baffles me beyond belief.

Haha. There it is. I knew someone would try to come back and argue that mental health and ALS are not the same. I was never comparing the two health issues.

I was responding to the broad statement: “IMHO, you quit....you're a loser. And a quitter/loser can never be the greatest”

Lou Gehrig quit in the middle of the season, so based on the above statement, he is a loser and not the greatest. In case you were wondering, I don’t subscribe to that notion.

The idea that a supposed adult calls an athlete that puts the time, dedication, and effort into excelling at their sport, on the world stage, a “loser”, no matter the outcome of the competition, baffles me beyond belief.
Your statement is ridiculous. That doesn’t mean I am the person you were arguing with when you made it. Take your issues with that person up with them.

I don’t know the circumstances of biles quitting because I don’t care and will never care. for the most part, anyone responding to headline news with much regard is a rube.

Your statement is ridiculous. That doesn’t mean I am the person you were arguing with when you made it. Take your issues with that person up with them.

I don’t know the circumstances of biles quitting because I don’t care and will never care. for the most part, anyone responding to headline news with much regard is a rube.
Boy, you really like calling my statements ridiculous. Not sure how or why they are, but I guess you’re entitled to your opinions.

Also, not sure why you are getting so defensive about what I say. I did respond to the original poster’s logic and definition of a loser. I then made a general comment about how it baffles me that adults can sit behind a keyboard and judge athletes without knowing the circumstances (and there are A LOT of adults that do).

Boy, you really like calling my statements ridiculous. Not sure how or why they are, but I guess you’re entitled to your opinions.

Also, not sure why you are getting so defensive about what I say. I did respond to the original poster’s logic and definition of a loser. I then made a general comment about how it baffles me that adults can sit behind a keyboard and judge athletes without knowing the circumstances (and there are A LOT of adults that do).
I’m not judging her. I don’t care about celebrity news. I was reading to see what kind of stupid things people would say that falls under the umbrella of “this person must think this is actual news.”

I know someone with MS. Conflating mental health with people whose muscles are deteriorating or who struggle with physical function to make a point isn’t really that cool.

I didn’t say anyone was a loser.. none of us know any of these people .. take it up with the person who said it.

I don’t care about low level topics like this. To care as much as you do about this, the topic would have to be something like “why is it we can eradicate homelessness for $26 billion annually, yet we don’t, while we also spend a trillion on defense related costs for wars nobody wants?” That’s my version of your regard for this lol .. this isn’t something to get worked up over

Reactions: wakeman2626
I’m not judging her. I don’t care about celebrity news. I was reading to see what kind of stupid things people would say that falls under the umbrella of “this person must think this is actual news.”

I know someone with MS. Conflating mental health with people whose muscles are deteriorating or who struggle with physical function to make a point isn’t really that cool.

I didn’t say anyone was a loser.. none of us know any of these people .. take it up with the person who said it.

I don’t care about low level topics like this. To care as much as you do about this, the topic would have to be something like “why is it we can eradicate homelessness for $26 billion annually, yet we don’t, while we also spend a trillion on defense related costs for wars nobody wants?” That’s my version of your regard for this lol .. this isn’t something to get worked up over
Reading comprehension, bud. It will be ok.

LOGIC....has evaded you for way too long.

Reactions: Sophie1970
couldn’t* care less. Pet peeve of mine.
I just find this hijacking of liberalism .. as a lefty.. to be startling. I grew up as a lefty because I believe in strong unions, in the promise of my parents generation that if you work 40 hours a week you will have a decent life, in working class solidarity.. in the new deal.

there’s a great book called listen liberal by Thomas frank where he talks about how, between 68-72, the party was hijacked from labor and put in the hands of suburban professionals.. the Martha’s Vineyard IV league crowd.

and that’s where we are today. If you work 3 jobs and still can’t make it, your concerns are not reflected at all. But we are all supposed to cheer on someone who wasn’t feeling it in the name of wokeness?

they’ve totally lost me, but I suspect that going back to 72, that was always the goal…

Reactions: Sophie1970
I just find this hijacking of liberalism .. as a lefty.. to be startling. I grew up as a lefty because I believe in strong unions, in the promise of my parents generation that if you work 40 hours a week you will have a decent life, in working class solidarity.. in the new deal.

there’s a great book called listen liberal by Thomas frank where he talks about how, between 68-72, the party was hijacked from labor and put in the hands of suburban professionals.. the Martha’s Vineyard IV league crowd.

and that’s where we are today. If you work 3 jobs and still can’t make it, your concerns are not reflected at all. But we are all supposed to cheer on someone who wasn’t feeling it in the name of wokeness?

they’ve totally lost me, but I suspect that going back to 72, that was always the goal…
Why was this a reply to me lol

The issue is that normal people, who have experience with real life, are no longer being elected to office, especially in the Senate and House, because they're not the chosen few by the media or supported by big money. And dumb people fall for the media darlings, like AOC.

Can an athlete be considered the greatest ever if they quit in the middle of the most important competition? Is this the result of the participation trophy generation? Mental toughness seems to be lacking with some high profile athletes.
IMHO, no. She, like many very high level athletes, has physical attributes that provide a competitive advantage and have helped her achieve what she has this far. However, at the elite level, it’s often mental toughness and drive that set the best of the best apart. I understand that she feels stressed. I also believe that most of the other athletes at the games have their own insecurities, stories of hardship, barriers to overcome, etc.

Having said all that, I’m sure there is much more to the story than I know. I don’t know that it’s change my position, but it might provide more food for thought. Like many people, I haven’t watched a single Olympic event as I’m pretty apathetic toward the games, and professional sports in general.

This was not a decision from the mindset of the "participation trophy" generation. Simone did what was best for herself (which is all that matters) and her team. She knew her limits, at the present time, and did not want to cost the team a medal. A very mature decision for someone who, I'm sure, did not want to stop competing. Yes, all sports have risks, and I am glad that we have progressed enough to where we are not risking a life time injury (or worse) in the name of winning gold.

And yes, before you ask, I am also very happy with the decision to make football a much safer sport. I played six years, and love watching the game, but not at the cost of life altering injuries to college students. Again, I know that big risks are involved with football, but that doesn't mean players should endure life time suffering for our enjoyment. Neurological issues are no joke, and to see emphasis being placed on mental health (including head injuries that lead to mental health issues) means we are taking steps in the right direction to continue having children/students still want to play the sports we love.
Re the football changes, agree wholeheartedly.

I played as well, and was fortunate to not have had any injuries. (I know you're itching to comment on that one, @ChoiceBeef ... 😁 )

Football needs to continue to look for ways to make the game safer. I place this alongside the safety measures in auto racing; always looking for ways to make the sport more exciting and enjoyable, all while protecting the participants.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
The issue is that normal people, who have experience with real life, are no longer being elected to office, especially in the Senate and House, because they're not the chosen few by the media or supported by big money. And dumb people fall for the media darlings, like AOC.
Zero of them. Totally agree. This is why money in politics was absolutely forbidden in the early US. As recent as 1906, I believe it was Wisconsin that had a law that any amount was considered “bribery and influencing.”

you get fake populism on both sides and everyone is bought. You pay taxes, which I’m fine with, except it doesn’t go to create things that benefit rank and file citizens .. and THIS Is news ..?

this is not news. Whether it’s something I agree with or don’t agree with.. whatever you get as a response to asking regular people what their concerns are.. IS the news. Not this

Reactions: purduepat1969
Having said all that, I’m sure there is much more to the story than I know.
This is a solid statement that applies to all of us. However, reading more today she is not getting more endorsement deals coming her way and it's essentially over shadowed the rest of her team and their accomplishments.

The prickish side of me thinks this was all a calculated move because the attention she is now getting is a bit bigger than it might of been otherwise. The new possible endorsement deals also cast a shadow on her motives.

If you pull out because of physical injury, that's one thing. If you quit because you're having trouble handling the pressure, that's different.

Reactions: Level 42
Can an athlete be considered the greatest ever if they quit in the middle of the most important competition? Is this the result of the participation trophy generation? Mental toughness seems to be lacking with some high profile athletes.
It’s okay to lose, everyone loses once in a while through their life. It’s not okay to quit, especially on your team.

I don't know that she quit. She withdrew from the all-around and two individual events that she felt she wasn't able to compete in. Ok, that happens. Athletes withdraw from high-level competitions for all kinds of reasons. As I understand it, she's still eligible to compete on the floor and beam.

As for G.O.A.T., in gymnastics I think it still pretty much comes down to who has the most hardware.

I don't know that she quit. She withdrew from the all-around and two individual events that she felt she wasn't able to compete in. Ok, that happens. Athletes withdraw from high-level competitions for all kinds of reasons. As I understand it, she's still eligible to compete on the floor and beam.

As for G.O.A.T., in gymnastics I think it still pretty much comes down to who has the most hardware.
Recent videos show Biles made tight choice. She just can't perform the aerials.

edit: confirmed she has dropped out of the floor exercise. She didn’t quit. She just can’t compete anymore. Rick Ankiel like.

No gymnast has more hardware than Biles. It's really not close.

Last edited:
The criticism here is pathetic. The political spin here is even more pathetic.

Simone Biles won nationals with toes broken in both feet.

She won worlds with a kidney stone.

The people here complaining about being tough are the same snowflakes that cry about having to wear a mask.

She's a 24 year old woman. Ease up.

The criticism here is pathetic. The political spin here is even more pathetic.

Simone Biles won nationals with toes broken in both feet.

She won worlds with a kidney stone.

The people here complaining about being tough are the same snowflakes that cry about having to wear a mask.

She's a 24 year old woman. Ease up.
You think it’s that I can’t wear a mask or that I shouldn’t have to because people chose to do gain of function?

fifteen days to flatten the curve right?

You think it’s that I can’t wear a mask or that I shouldn’t have to because people chose to do gain of function?

fifteen days to flatten the curve right?
The correlation made between Biles quitting and mask wearing was a lot of mental gymnastics. And what is the point of getting a vaccine if you're told you have to mask up anyway? It's isn't about 'can't', it's about control and a person's rights. My body my choice!

The correlation made between Biles quitting and mask wearing was a lot of mental gymnastics. And what is the point of getting a vaccine if you're told you have to mask up anyway? It's isn't about 'can't', it's about control and a person's rights. My body my choice!
I agree with you and I don’t care one way or another about Biles or celebrity

I retract what I said about you before. You're alright.
Thank you. Having to always deal with myself I can say that I’m only ok in small doses.

Did you hear jim Jordan talking about all the back and forth on gain of function and how now fauci will be coming back to testify but this time in private?

Did you hear jim Jordan talking about all the back and forth on gain of function and how now fauci will be coming back to testify but this time in private?
Yeah I woke up and read that suddenly a lot of stuff is coming out, like the phone call and the about face people did and so on. Fraudci I think had duped a lot of people and I'm even seeing articles from the left that are calling him out and starting to wonder.

I have a feeling this is all just the beginning of everything coming out.

Yeah I woke up and read that suddenly a lot of stuff is coming out, like the phone call and the about face people did and so on. Fraudci I think had duped a lot of people and I'm even seeing articles from the left that are calling him out and starting to wonder.

I have a feeling this is all just the beginning of everything coming out.
I mean if it’s in private? I have my doubts. I do know we don’t need another round of people losing their businesses because other people did research nobody asked for and nobody, including Obama, wanted

Maybe she had a/her 'perfect storm' (where everything (bad) seems to come together all at once)? I once had a similar situation happen to me, seemingly (at the time) from out of nowhere. I did something very similar to what she did, & quitting college with only one semester remaining before getting my degree, may have very well saved my life. I had another similar situation occur at about age 33. That time, I acted wrong, but my employer at the time (Wonder Bread), probably saved my life by firing me. As it eventually worked out, they probably saved my life. I had two heart attacks shortly before they fired me. I tried to get my job back at the time. Fortunately, (for me) I didn't get my job back, & looking back at it in retrospect/the big picture, they probably saved my life.

Once she gets her life straightened out, then lets see how she does. I believe she will be just fine, GOAT or not.

Big picture, I think she will be fine, have peace of mind, & never have to worry about money again.

'It is less important what others think of you, than what you think of yourself'

(though the optics may not immediately look good to some (not in her shoes/situation), in the end she/we need only worry about/please one person) Who(m) among us know (her quitting when she did, may have saved her life/career) if we were in her exact situation/circumstance(s), that we might not have done the same thing. = 'self preservation/survival of the fittest'

Btw, America did eventually end up beating China & everyone else in number of gold medals, & number of total medals. So it worked out ok after all, even if you only look at the medal counts, & forgetting the human/survival part of this story. Which is more important, a gold medal, or one's life? Give me life, every time.

What more is there

Happy Days

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT