ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Texas fires Tom Herman

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Announced earlier today, and the expectation is a further announcement that Steve Sarkisian, Alabama's assistant coach and offensive coordinator, will be Herman's "successor."

Not totally surprised, although the timing and swiftness might seem a little bit.....even for the shoot-from-the-hip and ask questions later, Texas Longhorns' administration.

Just a few weeks ago (although the door was left open in this announcement):

"The Tom Herman era will continue at the University of Texas, the university announced on [Saturday] in a release by athletic director Chris Del Conte.

"There's been a lot of speculation about the future of our football coach," Del Conte said in a statement. "My policy is to wait until the end of the season before evaluating and commenting on our program and coaches. With the close of the regular season, I want to reiterate that Tom Herman is our coach. When I look at our football program right now, I see tremendous young men and promising talent.

"Our student-athletes are developing, and they play their hearts out. This has been an unprecedented year for all of us, and we're all disappointed that we didn't meet our expectations. Like the many fans that follow and support our program, I can't help but think what could have been in 2020. There's still more work to be done, but I'm excited to watch our players and program move forward."

IMO, The University of Texas is one of the few institutions with the resources to keep gambling with the wrong choices and having decisions personally influenced from certain members of the Board of Regents .....we shall see if it's another one if Sarkisian is announced. This will however disappoint many of those who were hoping UT would go after Urban Meyer - no matter how realistic or not that was from either side's view.

More food for the tabloids.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:
I thought texas had a good season? Expectations are very high in Texas

JMO, but I think the rumors of locker room discontent....some of which were attributed/identified by senior QB Sam Ehlinger....was the last straw.

Their season was quintessentially an up-and-down one. Came back from 15-down late against Texas Tech and almost did the same against Oklahoma.....crushing give-away home losses to TCU and Iowa State unraveled any chance at the BIG XII Championship despite pulling out another game from the fire at Oklahoma State. Even without Ehlinger returning for a fifth year, they have a really talented team on both sides of the ball.... a darn good situation for a new coach to take on. On good days, they can play with anyone....but they also had undisciplined moments or made crucial mental mistakes at the worst times.

As for expectations - they're unrealistically high, but I don't see that ever changing where football is concerned. Football in the State of Texas equates to basketball in the State of Indiana.

I thought texas had a good season? Expectations are very high in Texas
They finished 7-3, including a 55-23 win over Colorado in the Alamo Bowl.

U of Texas is in a unique situation: A very large state, rich in football talent; the state's flagship university; a very large university; a very good academic reputation, with many, MANY notable Alumni; in a large metro area, with a very desirable climate.

UT should have a dominating football program every year. (That goes ditto for virtually all their athletic programs.)

U of Texas is in a unique situation: A very large state, rich in football talent; the state's flagship university; a very large university; a very good academic reputation, with many, MANY notable Alumni; in a large metro area, with a very desirable climate.

UT should have a dominating football program every year. (That goes ditto for virtually all their athletic programs.)

They do have SHAKA, 85....don't forget that. :)

Doing a number on Kansas today in Lawrence.

Last edited:
Herman is 4-0 bowls, 1 BCS win and a 10 win season. His buyout is 15 million and 24 million for the staff. He’s only 45 and has recruited well. This is why I’ll never root for a blue blood program. He’s got 2 years left on his contact. Why not let it run its course? Sarkisians record as a head coach is not that impressive. These programs think they should win the title every year.

Yep, and right now, the fact that Baylor and A&M have both had more recent success is an embarrassment to UT.

I'm sure you've shared your location previously, but are you near Austin?

Closer to San Antonio and Houston, 85.

However, I've spent a fair amount of time in Austin and the surrounding area....many friends there who are Midwest transplants and also have a couple of friends who played for Coach Royal.

Although I've lived in several metropolitan areas over my lifetime, I have come to appreciate much more the small towns.....Austin is a great place to live from many perspectives; it is much more metropolitan than it was 40 years ago.

Reactions: Purdue85
Closer to San Antonio and Houston, 85.

However, I've spent a fair amount of time in Austin and the surrounding area....many friends there who are Midwest transplants and also have a couple of friends who played for Coach Royal.

Although I've lived in several metropolitan areas over my lifetime, I have come to appreciate much more the small towns.....Austin is a great place to live from many perspectives; it is much more metropolitan than it was 40 years ago.

ahhhhhh... I'm guessing the Victoria or CC area.

Never been that far south.

Was just in Austin a couple of years ago on business. Drove down from Dallas, after some meetings there. I've spent a fair amount of time in Dallas and Austin, and (many years ago) a little time in San Antonio.

Really enjoy visiting. Not sure I'd like Houston, though.

ahhhhhh... I'm guessing the Victoria or CC area.

Never been that far south.

Was just in Austin a couple of years ago on business. Drove down from Dallas, after some meetings there. I've spent a fair amount of time in Dallas and Austin, and (many years ago) a little time in San Antonio.

Really enjoy visiting. Not sure I'd like Houston, though.
Was back in Austin for the first time in decades for the ACL fest in October 2019. Fun city. Maybe TOO fun for some college athletes...

Reactions: TX4GB and Purdue85
Who cares.
At least Texas has the balls to fire a disappointing coach.

Who cares.

I can only imagine the number of people I would have fired if that would have been the criteria, being .... "disappointed" ... with them.

I can only imagine the number of posters on this forum who would be unemployed if they were fired every time someone was .... "disappointed" ... with them.

Who cares.

I can only imagine the number of people I would have fired if that would have been the criteria, being .... "disappointed" ... with them.

I can only imagine the number of posters on this forum who would be unemployed if they were fired every time someone was .... "disappointed" ... with them.

It's also a little easier when you can go to a vault of seemingly endless cash for buy-outs and severance. Herman's buyout with his assistants is something in the neighborhood of $25 million+.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT