ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NCAA Investigation of UNC

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
Thought this might be of interest to some; it will be interesting to see what ends up and how hard UNC gets hit.

an excerpt from the AP story:

The NCAA has charged North Carolina with five violations connected to the school's long-running academic fraud scandal, including a lack of institutional control for poor oversight of an academic department popular with athletes.

The school
released a 59-page notice of allegations on Thursday that it received from the NCAA, which uses the document to specify violations uncovered during an investigation.

The charges include providing improper benefits in the form of counselors making "special arrangements'' with staffers in the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies (AFAM) department to offer courses or obtain assignments for athletes, as well as a counselor working with the women's basketball program providing improper help on research papers.

All five charges are considered Level I violations, described by the NCAA as a "serious breach of conduct.''

It's UNC............... Nothing to see here....................... Move along. Not killing any favored ca$h cow$ this year.

Reactions: indyogb
Yup... too much money to really hurt UNC. Now, if some small time program (read - less $) like, say, SMU did something like this, they'd get the death penalty ;).

I would love to say other posters are wrong, but after Michigan got the wrist slap for having a gambler buying them players and hanging in the locker room all bets are off. It may cost Roy his job but I'm guessing everything will be blamed on Dean Smith. When it goes bad, always blame the dead.

Well I live here (4 miles from UNC Campus) and it is all over the news and continues to be......

It will be 90 days+ before we start hearing what will happen (UNC has that long to file a rebuttal) ..so this Fall is when all of this will start to come down.

I think we see major things happen like all Championships during those time frames voided, banners come down, Roy will retire, scholarships will be diminished, kids will transfer and I hope at minimum a 3 year post season ban.

I for one would like the NCAA to refund me my Ticket costs from the NCAA Final Four I went and saw in Detroit when UNC won!

I paid to go watch cheats win......NCAA please contact me so I can get my $1k back....I am being serious!

Like that will ever happen.......

Oh well will be interesting living here in North Carolina and watching this all go down.

No, it was the UM Fab-Five. That is the championship of cheaters. I can not believe I actually watched that game. Shame on me.

Think the IU/Sampson stuff was a good time? The NC State fans locally may be getting more enjoyment out of this than rooting for their own team. What a disaster.

No, it was the UM Fab-Five. That is the championship of cheaters. I can not believe I actually watched that game. Shame on me.

I think the Detroit FF was 2009? UNC/MSU

UNC/Michigan was 1993....New Orleans? the Weber TO game.

Chevy's right in that UNC has a fairly long time (90 days) to respond. By the way, Chevy, that check will be in the mail, along with your ClearingHouse Sweepstakes winning ticket.

Ultimately, I don't think UNC gets a heavy punishment, but it appears there's too much smoke to be denied, and I think there will be some pressure to do something.....maybe a couple of scholarships and a post-season ban. Again, if the allegations are proven or agreed upon. Somebody's got to be the "scapegoat."

I'll be surprised if there is a vacating of any kind....haven't seen that happen with an NCAA Champion. JMO

You mean it was just like UK and UCon 2014. Had to shower after that game too.

I think the Detroit FF was 2009? UNC/MSU

UNC/Michigan was 1993....New Orleans? the Weber TO game.

Chevy's right in that UNC has a fairly long time (90 days) to respond. By the way, Chevy, that check will be in the mail, along with your ClearingHouse Sweepstakes winning ticket.

Ultimately, I don't think UNC gets a heavy punishment, but it appears there's too much smoke to be denied, and I think there will be some pressure to do something.....maybe a couple of scholarships and a post-season ban. Again, if the allegations are proven or agreed upon. Somebody's got to be the "scapegoat."

I'll be surprised if there is a vacating of any kind....haven't seen that happen with an NCAA Champion. JMO

To me, UNC played kids that they cheated to keep in school and keep eligible. There is no question in my mind that they would not have won that game, or many of the preceding games without cheating. Therefore, their violation of the NCAA rules invalidates their championship. Pull it. Erase it from the official record books. They can kiss my rear as far as any sympathy for their self-made situation.
The fact that both schools that played in that championship game cheated to get there should embarrass the hell out of the NCAA.

:cool:

I predict some long term sanctions but not a lot of vacating. Vacating they can't go back on when the heat dies down. Scholarship reductions, post season bans, ect can be removed later. See: Penn State, USC, OSU. The NCAA wants the appearance of punishment without souring a fan base. They can't afford for one of those programs to go mid-major like SMU.

From my understanding, the women's BB team is mentioned alot more than the football and men's bball team. NC might throw the women's team under the bus to protect the men and retain their championships

I predict some long term sanctions but not a lot of vacating. Vacating they can't go back on when the heat dies down. Scholarship reductions, post season bans, ect can be removed later. See: Penn State, USC, OSU. The NCAA wants the appearance of punishment without souring a fan base. They can't afford for one of those programs to go mid-major like SMU.

I am not familiar with all these scandles, but the ones I know about would not justify removal of championships.

The PSU problem was that they tolerated criminal activity within their athletic program. I don't know if that is the PC way of describing it, but it had nothing to do with the eligibility of the kids that were playing the games. The OSU scandel centered on kids exchanging free tickets for tatoos, IIRC. Again, this was not a eligibility issue. It was a violation of rules only.

In neither case were the student-athletes artificially kept eligible for the games. Hence I see no need to strip either school of their acheivements. In the case of UNC, they played kids that were kept on the teams through cheating. Hence any game won with these kids should be removed from the records.

I know. It is just my perspective. I refuse to pay attention to the jaded comments about the money issue in this decision. I thnk the NCAA should & will strip the '93 championship.

It's UNC............... Nothing to see here....................... Move along. Not killing any favored ca$h cow$ this year.
I think that the NCAA will come down hard on North Carolina. A few years ago, they came down hard on one of the premier college football programs, USC, for much less. At the end of the day this UNC scandal looks really, really bad and the NCAA has to come down hard to maintain its credibility.

If I were Eastern or Western Carolina I'd be scared to death. Someone will have to be punished!

The 2004 USC football program had their BCS Championship vacated.

I would really like to see UNC fry on all levels for this. This garbage has been going on for DECADES in Chapel Hill, not just a couple seasons here and there. Possibly spanning the reign of four different coaches??

Five Level I violations??

Lack of Institutional Control??

I feel like if we were talking about a UK or a UConn etc etc here they would be up sh*t's creek. Close up shop on the BBall programs, and throw away the keys.

"The Carolina Way"...lol. Screw UNC. With all this coming to light, they are no better than the worst of the worst RE NCAA violations. I hope they get HAMMERED.

Last edited:
From what I'm reading it looks like UNC thinks Mens BB will be untouched. They're negotiating a new contract for RoyBoy. I guess Lin Dunn wasn't on their women's staff.

Reactions: Schnelk
"UNC thinks".

Everyone else thinks the opposite.

I've been reading UNC fan thoughts on the main board, they seem knee deep in denial and delusion.

Guess we'll see. Never know with the NCAA, but this seems too big to sweep under the rug.

Last edited:
Reactions: B1Gboilermaker
To me, UNC played kids that they cheated to keep in school and keep eligible. There is no question in my mind that they would not have won that game, or many of the preceding games without cheating. Therefore, their violation of the NCAA rules invalidates their championship. Pull it. Erase it from the official record books. They can kiss my rear as far as any sympathy for their self-made situation.
The fact that both schools that played in that championship game cheated to get there should embarrass the hell out of the NCAA.

Dear Mathboy, love to discuss it but my limo to,the private jet is waiting. Regards, The NCAA.

The 2004 USC football program had their BCS Championship vacated.

I would really like to see UNC fry on all levels for this. This garbage has been going on for DECADES in Chapel Hill, not just a couple seasons here and there. Possibly spanning the reign of four different coaches??

Five Level I violations??

Lack of Institutional Control??

I feel like if we were talking about a UK or a UConn etc etc here they would be up sh*t's creek. Close up shop on the BBall programs, and throw away the keys.

"The Carolina Way"...lol. Screw UNC. With all this coming to light, they are no better than the worst of the worst RE NCAA violations. I hope they get HAMMERED.

I was thinking in terms of Basketball, but you raise a good point with USC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT