ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Mitchell Robinson

Or tampering?

It seems something is afoot. If I have the timeline correct,

Robinson originally committed to A&M when Stansbury was an assistant there. Stansbury takes the WKU job & hires Robinson's godfather as an assistant. Robinson changes his commitment to WKU & ultimately signs there. His godfather resigns his asst position at WKU at the beginning of the month. A few weeks later, Robinson's future at WKU is in doubt.

It's funny, but one of the articles ends their story on him like this:

'It’s not easy for the non-bluebloods in college basketball to bring in high-profile recruits without also bringing in high-profile drama'

We would seem to fall right in to what they are talking about. Biggie had his share of drama with him, albeit not that bad, but still.

It seems something is afoot. If I have the timeline correct,

Robinson originally committed to A&M when Stansbury was an assistant there. Stansbury takes the WKU job & hires Robinson's godfather as an assistant. Robinson changes his commitment to WKU & ultimately signs there. His godfather resigns his asst position at WKU at the beginning of the month. A few weeks later, Robinson's future at WKU is in doubt.

So next will be Godfather is hired at University of Hawaii or somewhere tropical and a few weeks later Robinson signs there. Of course he will be sitting a year...on the beach.

Reactions: Dakota Girl
CMP adds him to the roster for the university games. He takes a redshirt and then is the star center next year. Sounds like a plan.

giphy.gif

his offer sheet doesn't seem to match his ranking.

Only 5 power 5 schools offered, and only one of those is traditionally good in bball (unc)

Perhaps he's not that good?

his offer sheet doesn't seem to match his ranking.

Only 5 power 5 schools offered, and only one of those is traditionally good in bball (unc)

Perhaps he's not that good?

He committed very early. And to be honest, I am sure he told teams he would only play if they hired his god father. My guess? He ends up at Mizzou. Zo has no problems hiring family members.

Reactions: Roeder
I recall many teams were interested in him, but he told them no. I'm not sure who tells the recruiting sites if an offer has been made. If it's the athlete or the school. If I'm the school and the athlete says no, then I wouldn't say I offered. I've seen some players sign with teams that never were reflected as giving an offer. It's probably hard for a recruiting site to reflect everything and keep it updated.

Reactions: nagemj02
If WKU lets him out of his LOI contract, is he free to immediately play for any team, or is he going to have to sit out a year as a normal transfer student does? I'm unsure how the rules work for incoming freshmen.

If WKU lets him out of his LOI contract, is he free to immediately play for any team, or is he going to have to sit out a year as a normal transfer student does? I'm unsure how the rules work for incoming freshmen.
WKU would have to release him.

I also think he has to get a NCAA clearance or waiver to be eligible.

I bet he ends up overseas.

Has there been any reason given as to why his Godfather resigned? If I was Mitchell, I'd hate for my quasi parent to take a job in Kentucky and force me to come along, and then just quit and leaving me there.

this has the makings of a real ugly story.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
The key is whether he enrolled at WKU - generally meaning attended a class (technically used a scholarship)). If so, he's a student-athlete there ....

He supposedly did not attend a class. Maybe his Godfather got a better job offer for his son's services at a school that hasn't started classes yet.

This places Mitchell in a bad situation, as he could possibly miss 2-3 weeks of class while his Godfather shops him around for a better deal. I mean looks for and secures new employment.

I would hate to be in his shoes. What if his Godfather gets a job at a school, and the head coach and his Godfather don't agree on how Mitchell should be used or play? What does Mitchell do? Who does he follow and listen to? What if the head coach hates playing zone defense, but his father loves it? Would all this be part of a job interview?

I would give him that extra spot on the team for overseas and recruit the s*** out of him while he's over there with us. Hey any way you can get them without cheating. Great time for Matt Painter to take advantage without cheating. It might work it might not

Reactions: nagemj02
There's one open scholarship and Mitchell Robinson can provide, at the least, one thing that this 2017-2018 team probably lacks otherwise: a CONSISTENT shot-blocking and/or rim-protecting presence.

Boiler Up

is this going to be the second coming of Haas where Painter talks somebody out of their commitment ?

is this going to be the second coming of Haas where Painter talks somebody out of their commitment ?
No. He already started taking summer courses.

At this point he would need WKU to release him and the NCAA to give him a waiver to play.

His options are sit out this year or go overseas.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
let me get this straight.

This thread started by saying he left campus. then a post indicated his godfather guardian is the guy who got him to decommit from Texas A&M to go to WKU and was hired on as an assistant, but recently resigned. and now he has attended summer classes, but left campus , thereby using up his first year of eligibility before playing a game. so now his only option of leaving WKU is to play overseas or sit out a year.

is that right ? IS there any more to this story?

Sorry, but I want no part of this guy. or his godfather. guardian.

No. He already started taking summer courses.

At this point he would need WKU to release him and the NCAA to give him a waiver to play.

His options are sit out this year or go overseas.
And all of the Purdue recruits are enrolled.

We don't know exactly how this will play out for Mitchell Robinson and for his immediate future. More information is needed.

I would give him that extra spot on the team for overseas and recruit the s*** out of him while he's over there with us. Hey any way you can get them without cheating. Great time for Matt Painter to take advantage without cheating. It might work it might not
He's not going to go play overseas and then come here and play college ball. That just wouldn't make any sense in this case.

As mentioned already, it is likely he will go overseas for a year then declare for the draft.

His guardian must really believe he has nba potential. Admittedly we are just speculating. And although he had a high ranking, he was not very heavily recruited. Somebody must have said something in his ear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT