ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Men's Golf

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Purdue is playing in its own regional at Kampen. 5th seeded but with a decided home course advantage. I don't follow the college game a ton but they are playing it LONG today anyway. The card shows 7461 yards. They're almost done with round 1 and are sitting -4, 3rd place and 6 shots behind #1 seed Vanderbilt. Indiana also in the regional sitting at +2.

Purdue is playing in its own regional at Kampen. 5th seeded but with a decided home course advantage. I don't follow the college game a ton but they are playing it LONG today anyway. The card shows 7461 yards. They're almost done with round 1 and are sitting -4, 3rd place and 6 shots behind #1 seed Vanderbilt. Indiana also in the regional sitting at +2.
That's some damned good golf on a damned tough course.

Herman Sekne (Big Ten golfer of the year) has had a couple of really good seasons - Boilers looking good right now to advance and take advantage of a great opportunity playing on home soil.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1
Those 4 Vandy golfers had ONE DAY to play Kampen ... Good God they must be damned good golfers.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Yes - Gordon Sargent, who already has earned a PGA Tour card and is exceptional as an amateur - might be #2 rated now. Has played in The Masters as well.
Didn't know about that story until you mentioned it. Here's the article. It's a new program in conjunction with the KornFerry Tour.

Those 4 Vandy golfers had ONE DAY to play Kampen ... Good God they must be damned good golfers.
How much heads up do these teams get about regional sites before they're announced and seeded? I would imagine they get a couple of practice rounds on a new course before the tourney starts, otherwise it's a massive advantage to the home team.

How much heads up do these teams get about regional sites before they're announced and seeded? I would imagine they get a couple of practice rounds on a new course before the tourney starts, otherwise it's a massive advantage to the home team.
Don't really know. I think the sites are set early on in the season, but that doesn't mean the players have much of a chance to see the course other than the day before. Maybe the coaches can get there to see it. Also though, I think they use certain courses often over time, so some players and definitely coaches have seen all the better courses that get used. Kampen is used for many tournaments, Big 10 and otherwise.

Don't really know. I think the sites are set early on in the season, but that doesn't mean the players have much of a chance to see the course other than the day before. Maybe the coaches can get there to see it. Also though, I think they use certain courses often over time, so some players and definitely coaches have seen all the better courses that get used. Kampen is used for many tournaments, Big 10 and otherwise.
Would love to know how many of the Vandy players have played Kampen before.
I haven't played it in a really long time.
I remember the really long par 5 with the pond on the right, dog leg right and the plaque in the fairway about 300 out that said "Not even on your best day".
Is that still there?

Will the regional be televised anywhere this week?
The Golf Channel usually gets the championships, but I haven't seen anything for this week. Too many sites to cover really, and the PGA is this week anyway. I would look for the women's to be on Golf Channel at some point this weekend. 17th-22nd. I'm not positive of the format but I believe it's stroke play to get down to 8 teams and then match play after that.

The men's championships are the 24th-29th.

They really have to step on themselves tomorrow to not qualify. 17 shots ahead of the team that would be first out.

The Golf Channel usually gets the championships, but I haven't seen anything for this week. Too many sites to cover really, and the PGA is this week anyway. I would look for the women's to be on Golf Channel at some point this weekend. 17th-22nd. I'm not positive of the format but I believe it's stroke play to get down to 8 teams and then match play after that.

Thanks…

Having taken more than a few soil samples on that beautifully diabolical track , I’d love to see how skilled players handle it😎⛳️

Reactions: JeffBoiler
The kid from Colorado State (Hjelm) got a 2 on the par 5 , 608 yard 16th!

.....would have been cool to see an Albatross!

200w.gif

Yeah - Golf Channel covers both men's and women's NCAA fields after the Regionals.

Format is 6 Regional sites where five teams (and one individual not on a team advancing) each advance to NCAA championships.

All 30 teams and six other individuals will complete 54 holes of stroke play. Following 54 holes of competition, the top 15 teams along with the top nine individuals not on an advancing team will advance for one additional day of stroke play to determine the top eight teams for match-play competition and the 72-hole stroke-play individual champion. The top eight teams after 72 holes of play will be placed into a bracket thereafter for team match play.

We know you save it all for the big bombs down the fairway, Lenny. :)

Watch out for the sand, though.......

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Funny you should mention that. The driver is my best club. I can hit it long and straight (usually), but my approach and short game sucks. I can lay up on a par 5, lying 2, 50 yards from the pin and easily mark a 7 .

• Haha
Reactions: JeffBoiler
.....would have been cool to see an Albatross!

200w.gif

Yeah - Golf Channel covers both men's and women's NCAA fields after the Regionals.

Format is 6 Regional sites where five teams (and one individual not on a team advancing) each advance to NCAA championships.

All 30 teams and six other individuals will complete 54 holes of stroke play. Following 54 holes of competition, the top 15 teams along with the top nine individuals not on an advancing team will advance for one additional day of stroke play to determine the top eight teams for match-play competition and the 72-hole stroke-play individual champion. The top eight teams after 72 holes of play will be placed into a bracket thereafter for team match play.
Thanks. They must do the quarters and semis in the same day. Or the semis and final I suppose. Long week.

Funny you should mention that. The driver is my best club. I can hit it long and straight (usually), but my approach and short game sucks. I can lay up on a par 5, lying 2, 50 yards from the pin and easily mark a 7 .
You should lay back further and have a full shot for your 3rd. Like 100-110. Most golfers suck from the 40-60 range.

Thanks. They must do the quarters and semis in the same day. Or the semis and final I suppose. Long week.

Yes - Quarters and Semis in same day, then final day is championship and consolation matches.

Friday - Wednesday

Women's schedule is May 17 - 22
Men's schedule is May 24 - 29

• Carlsbad, California Omni La Costa Resort & Spa

You should lay back further and have a full shot for your 3rd. Like 100-110. Most golfers suck from the 40-60 range.
I'm actually better off hitting a 7 or 8 from 150 than a wedge from 100. I'm a good scramble partner (off the tee at least).

I don't think so. It's the top 4 scorers over 3 days. Purdue is at -15 and the players are -8, -4, -3, E and +4.
Vanderbilt is -5, -5, -4, E, E but their total is -16. One guy at even went 73-71 and the other went 71-73. There's your extra 2 shots, 1 per day.

Easterbrook was worst both days for Purdue. 4 guys shot 71 and Sam shot 72 day 1.

Golf dudes geeking it out here.

While in Italy, the subject of golf came up with our driver who told me that his friend's son is coming to PU next year to play golf and study engineering. He says the kid is one of the best young players in Italy. Sorry, didn't get a name.

Reactions: BoilerJS
While in Italy, the subject of golf came up with our driver who told me that his friend's son is coming to PU next year to play golf and study engineering. He says the kid is one of the best young players in Italy. Sorry, didn't get a name.
When the women won the NC years ago, I believe 70% of the team was foreign born.

I don't think so. It's the top 4 scorers over 3 days. Purdue is at -15 and the players are -8, -4, -3, E and +4.
Also, a couple teams are using subs, so those are guys that are not playing all 3 days in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT