ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Italy I know this can easily get lost at this time, but does anyone have places in Italy

We also did Verrazano and really enjoyed it along with Tenuta Torciano. Stayed in Sorrento and went up and down the Amalfi coast. Boat trip to Capri was a fun trip. We hit all of the big cities but the Amalfi coast was our favorite area.

Since you seem to be on line. We took the train from Venice to Bologna (again nice). We didn't care for Venice that much, also the leaning tower of Pisa near Bologna that we did not visit but heard about.

Reactions: tjreese
Since you seem to be on line. We took the train from Venice to Bologna (again nice). We didn't care for Venice that much, also the leaning tower of Pisa near Bologna that we did not visit but heard about.
We use the trains everywhere. Just scheduled Rome.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
Have fun! For such a large city, Rome is surprisingly walkable.
Yes and I walked a lot of it in 2021 in the 7 or 8 days there. Luggage on the cobblestone is not desired though. Not sure what we will see this time? Was able to get one of the two places in Rome where we stayed in 2021 through Airbnb close to the train station, but yet 10 minutes away and safer. I can see it is going to cost me more this time. :(

Another pretty medieval city is Assisi, the birthplace of Saint Francis and location of the basilica that bears his name and where he is buried. There are several other churches there (Santa Chiarra/Saint Clare and San Damiano) as well as medieval castles and an amphitheater built during the Roman Empire.

Reactions: Old Gold n Black
Another thought. Several years ago I went to New Orleans and said this will probably be the last time I ever visit this town. What are the things I really want to see. I did the exact same thing when visiting Paris and London. I planned my visit based on places I wanted to see. I missed out on a few things but also did a lot of things on that list.

Venice and Rome and Florence are awesome. The alps are beautiful. Sicily is nice. The leaning tower of Pisa is awesome. Michael Angelo’s paintings and sculptures are a must see.

My suggestion is to treat this as if it’s going to be the last time you ever visit Italy. Make a list of those things you really want to see. And forget about all those little things like hotels and food. And go for it.

If you like the tower of Pisa, go for it. A gondola in Venice, go for it. The statue of David, go for it.

I’ve seen the real Mona Lisa and Notre Dame and Westminster Abby and the changing of the guard. I may never return to Europe , but I have no regrets.

I also once went to San Francisco. Rather than taking a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge, I drove my car across it. How many people can say that?

Carp Diem !!

Another pretty medieval city is Assisi, the birthplace of Saint Francis and location of the basilica that bears his name and where he is buried. There are several other churches there (Santa Chiarra/Saint Clare and San Damiano) as well as medieval castles and an amphitheater built during the Roman Empire.
Awesome! Assisi is definitely on my bucket list. People I know who have travelled there say that there is a sense of overwhelming peace permeating the area. What I wouldn't give to break orbit from noisy, urban America for a little bit of peace. Gonna have to wait for the kiddos to grow up, though...

Awesome! Assisi is definitely on my bucket list. People I know who have travelled there say that there is a sense of overwhelming peace permeating the area. What I wouldn't give to break orbit from noisy, urban America for a little bit of peace. Gonna have to wait for the kiddos to grow up, though...
That is a great way to describe it. Peaceful. Not quite as big of a tourist attraction as some other places in Italy and as you go through the basilicas and churches there is a lot less chatter and photo taking as compared to the big basilicas in the big cities.

We talked about that and it may be a day trip out of Florence along with Lucca. Saint Francis of Assisi....lover of animals! ;) We hit every Duomo we can as they are all beautiful

Reactions: BoilerMaker P
Lake Cómo to the North and Amalfi to the south
Been to Positano and it was beautiful, but have only been to Venice as far as north. Our times have been between Sorrento and Florence for the most part. Not sure if she is trying to entice another trip by not seeing a bit more north or south, but it isn't going to work...too expensive. ;) The next trip if it happened may be to Madeira Island where her ancestry was, Germany again, France maybe (daughter loved it) or maybe Spain and maybe none! ;)

Another thought. Several years ago I went to New Orleans and said this will probably be the last time I ever visit this town. What are the things I really want to see. I did the exact same thing when visiting Paris and London. I planned my visit based on places I wanted to see. I missed out on a few things but also did a lot of things on that list.

Venice and Rome and Florence are awesome. The alps are beautiful. Sicily is nice. The leaning tower of Pisa is awesome. Michael Angelo’s paintings and sculptures are a must see.

My suggestion is to treat this as if it’s going to be the last time you ever visit Italy. Make a list of those things you really want to see. And forget about all those little things like hotels and food. And go for it.

If you like the tower of Pisa, go for it. A gondola in Venice, go for it. The statue of David, go for it.

I’ve seen the real Mona Lisa and Notre Dame and Westminster Abby and the changing of the guard. I may never return to Europe , but I have no regrets.

I also once went to San Francisco. Rather than taking a picture of the Golden Gate Bridge, I drove my car across it. How many people can say that?

Carp Diem !!
We were in both museums in Florence and had private tours in Rome and the Vatican. Money isn't the same concern for my daughter and her husband as me. ;)

Well the the tourney will be over when we go. Right now checking out Airbnb and booking for Naples. I will definitely check out the place you mention. Appreciate the info. Assume this is it and another winery to check out from my Purdue friends https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...o_di_Verrazzano-Greve_in_Chianti_Tuscany.html

We also did Verrazano and really enjoyed it along with Tenuta Torciano. Stayed in Sorrento and went up and down the Amalfi coast. Boat trip to Capri was a fun trip. We hit all of the big cities but the Amalfi coast was our favorite area.
C, we're scheduled for a full day on Capri. Is it worth it?

Been to Positano and it was beautiful, but have only been to Venice as far as north. Our times have been between Sorrento and Florence for the most part. Not sure if she is trying to entice another trip by not seeing a bit more north or south, but it isn't going to work...too expensive. ;) The next trip if it happened may be to Madeira Island where her ancestry was, Germany again, France maybe (daughter loved it) or maybe Spain and maybe none! ;)
Belgium and Luxemburg are both great places to see and stay. Loved all of Belgium particularly the Ardennes and staying in Durbuy.

C, we're scheduled for a full day on Capri. Is it worth it?
I would say yes if you have plenty of time along the Amalfi coast. We enjoyed those coastal towns a little more. The tram to the top can get crowded. Taking a taxi will cost you more but will save you some precious time. The boat ride out and back give you great views of the coast.

We did a Perillo tour in 2019. Had a late afternoon wine tasting at Tenuta Torciano after a day in Siena. Like most of our Italian experience. Good wine, even better people.

They have enjoyed other than the usual Rome, Florence and Venice and maybe a short note of why? I know SIBoiler has been there. Got a few days to fill and for the most part I'm mostly between Sorrento and Florence later in the year. Thanking anyone that has an opinion on this subject.
As OWS said Cinque Terra. That was one of our favorites. You will probably only be able to do 1 village in a day, but definitely worth it. Wear or take your swim suits, the view is incredible & you will want to go in the water.

As OWS said Cinque Terra. That was one of our favorites. You will probably only be able to do 1 village in a day, but definitely worth it. Wear or take your swim suits, the view is incredible & you will want to go in the water.
I probably need to quiz her again. I know she believes it is a lot of hiking and that I wouldn't like that. I will say that Positano was very pretty. but I was quickly bored with all the up and downs to get to places. We normally do a lot of walking in sight seeing. It will be cooler in the fall when we go. She had Perugia after Sorrento and has decided too much of a hassle to get to and now considering Arezza. There also was influence there by the Medici family...Cosimo I seem to recall. There is soooooooo much influence by the Medici family in Tuscany in particular, but extended through most of Italy (between Naples and MIlan) with Lorenzo the Magnificent (the grandson of Cosimo) being quite the statesman. Florence has two main museums and much has been left by Caterina the last of the Medici family. I think there were two popes through the blood line and thinking one may have been a bastard son of Lorenzo. We have found their crests in Siena and Rome and unsure about Venice. I'm speculating that the Medici influence may have drawn her. It is all good to me.

BTW, if any are interested in a good series during that transformation into the Renaissance, look not further than the Netflix series on the Medici's. There is naturally a little influence by Netflix as usual in a cultural aspect they project, but for the most part tour guides and such have agreed that the series on the whole is quite good and pretty accurate. This is a short trailer that doesn't show some of the things that went on (didn't want to give too much). They were a very wealthy family that tried to change the world. It reveals politics and sought power by those in opposition. Lorenzo and his brother had an attempted assassination on their lives during mass. Lorenzo's brother was killed during the overthrow attempt, but Lorenzo survived and brought swift justice to the perpetrators.

The series has a lot of aspects to keep your attention. ;) You can find many more if any are interested better video below

Last edited:
I probably need to quiz her again. I know she believes it is a lot of hiking and that I wouldn't like that. I will say that Positano was very pretty. but I was quickly bored with all the up and downs to get to places. We normally do a lot of walking in sight seeing. It will be cooler in the fall when we go. She had Perugia after Sorrento and has decided too much of a hassle to get to and now considering Arezza. There also was influence there by the Medici family...Cosimo I seem to recall. There is soooooooo much influence by the Medici family in Tuscany in particular, but extended through most of Italy (between Naples and MIlan) with Lorenzo the Magnificent (the grandson of Cosimo) being quite the statesman. Florence has two main museums and much has been left by Caterina the last of the Medici family. I think there were two popes through the blood line and thinking one may have been a bastard son of Lorenzo. We have found their crests in Siena and Rome and unsure about Venice. I'm speculating that the Medici influence may have drawn her. It is all good to me.

BTW, if any are interested in a good series during that transformation into the Renaissance, look not further than the Netflix series on the Medici's. There is naturally a little influence by Netflix as usual in a cultural aspect they project, but for the most part tour guides and such have agreed that the series on the whole is quite good and pretty accurate. This is a short trailer that doesn't show some of the things that went on (didn't want to give too much). They were a very wealthy family that tried to change the world. It reveals politics and sought power by those in opposition. Lorenzo and his brother had an attempted assassination on their lives during mass. Lorenzo's brother was killed during the overthrow attempt, but Lorenzo survived and brought swift justice to the perpetrators.

The series has a lot of aspects to keep your attention. ;) You can find many more if any are interested better video below
I think this is a better video than what I first posted to give more of a feel of the series and any that desire to see it should know that Lorenzo's advisor later in the series is not true

Last edited:
TJ, what are some of the better hotels you've stayed in in Florence?
We stayed in the Plaza Hotel Luchessi which was about 3 blocks southeast of the Basilica of Santa Croce. Nice hotel with a rooftop bar with great views of Florence at night.

TJ, what are some of the better hotels you've stayed in in Florence?
I don't do hotels if I can help it. I find that different places seem better for Airbnb and others for bookings. I typically use Airbnb. One we stayed after Venice was not available on teh dates we had. I do see a bit of a price increase in many places. This year Kim wanted to stay in a Medici building. We were waiting for a game to start across from Mackey in University and a lady was talking about Italy and the next thing I know Kim is there talking with her and so Kim wanted that spot (Medici). I'll post a few below. Since we use the trains a lot, the location of the train and the center areas are where we normally look. This time it isn't in as good as location. So in 2021 my daughter and her husband left her children with grandparents in Germany and flew into Rome for a couple of days where they met us coming back from Sorrento. Her husband found this needing two bedrooms and king beds and we split the cost https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/39430269?source_impression_id=p3_1710789844_zQXJGeZogqh6u9ex Then we went to Venice and stayed a couple of days and they flew back to Germany and Kim and I went back to Florence and stayed here after Venice and the location was very good. The price I believe has increased a lot since then https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/12264638?source_impression_id=p3_1710790499_94iBzrET+hqTeFyJ This time we are staying here

I don't know the specifics of this place other than it ties back to the 1500s and Kim told me the lineage of the Medici to it. There are a lot of places that can meet your needs in Airbnb and are usually cheaper than a hotel. A lot do NOT have washers and since our trips are longer than most every other place or so we find one with a washer. Finding a dryer is much more difficult and so you will most likely use a drying rack either heated or not. If Florence is on your list, there is Michelangelo's favorite view of Florence from the other side of the river that many take in at sunset. There is also a famous sandwich place that serves thousands every day...and it is easy to spend money on leather. ;) The two museums rank either 1&2 or 2&3 of the most visited in the world. Florence is easy to walk and cover since it is not too large and mostly flat. Hope this helps.

We stayed in the Plaza Hotel Luchessi which was about 3 blocks southeast of the Basilica of Santa Croce. Nice hotel with a rooftop bar with great views of Florence at night.
you found the walking a lot easier than Siena right? ;) The sandwich place is only a few blocks away from the Basilica and we had to go there once.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
you found the walking a lot easier than Siena right? ;) The sandwich place is only a few blocks away from the Basilica and we had to go there once.
Siena is a city of gentle rolling hills, much like scaling Mt Everest unassisted. I was definitely ready for wine tasting after that little hike. Florence was a great walking city although I found Venice much more pleasant to walk in after dark.

Without question, Cinque Terra.
@Do Dah Day @SIBoiler2 @*4purdue* Are there any particulars that separated Cinque Terra from other places good and bad. The lady that sits beside us in games just said there was a lot of hiking. Did you SiBoiler2 find it much worse than Siena which I was fine. Sitting inside this winter and being three years older than went I went in 2021 I'm probably not in as good a shape. I did fine in 2021 walking up Mt Vesuvius and only stopped once for about 20 seconds to get my breath, but I was a bit more active back then and hope to get some of that back this summer when warmer doing some physical things. Anyway, any specifics of interest that any of you would care to share?

@Do Dah Day @SIBoiler2 @*4purdue* Are there any particulars that separated Cinque Terra from other places good and bad. The lady that sits beside us in games just said there was a lot of hiking. Did you SiBoiler2 find it much worse than Siena which I was fine. Sitting inside this winter and being three years older than went I went in 2021 I'm probably not in as good a shape. I did fine in 2021 walking up Mt Vesuvius and only stopped once for about 20 seconds to get my breath, but I was a bit more active back then and hope to get some of that back this summer when warmer doing some physical things. Anyway, any specifics of interest that any of you would care to share?
TJ, I can't provide any insight. Didn't go to Cinque Terra. On the shelf now. Just had a knee flare up again. Think my summer may involve surgery.

• Sad
TJ, I can't provide any insight. Didn't go to Cinque Terra. On the shelf now. Just had a knee flare up again. Think my summer may involve surgery.
Hate to hear that. Knee rehab is longer and tougher than a hip replacement, I understand. Good luck and hopefully some rest will help it and delay any surgery. Also, good to hear positive health info on your loved one! :)

SI, my son who's now 53 had his knee replaced in Ft. Wayne. As they did the MRI, the printer was making his knee. He played a lot of sports, rode dirt bikes for years, and generally abused his body. He's had no trouble, and has no limits except that he's not allowed to run, which he hates anyway.

It's on the side of a cliff LOL

My dad had knee replacement at age 82 and was playing 18-holes 6 weeks later.
I can only hope for such a prognosis since I haven't played golf in over 30 years. I played a couple times a week until the time crunch of full time Purdue, full time Alcoa, and full time wife and four kids caught up with me!😉

• Haha
We were in both museums in Florence and had private tours in Rome and the Vatican. Money isn't the same concern for my daughter and her husband as me. ;)
If you don't spend that money on yourselves, your daughter will spend it for you later!!!😉

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT