ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Italy I know this can easily get lost at this time, but does anyone have places in Italy

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
They have enjoyed other than the usual Rome, Florence and Venice and maybe a short note of why? I know SIBoiler has been there. Got a few days to fill and for the most part I'm mostly between Sorrento and Florence later in the year. Thanking anyone that has an opinion on this subject.

They have enjoyed other than the usual Rome, Florence and Venice and maybe a short note of why? I know SIBoiler has been there. Got a few days to fill and for the most part I'm mostly between Sorrento and Florence later in the year. Thanking anyone that has an opinion on this subject.
Hike the Path of the Gods. Start in Bomareno and go to Nocelle.

Visit a Winery south of Florence called Poggio Torcelli.

Reactions: tjreese
Hike the Path of the Gods. Start in Bomareno and go to Nocelle.

Visit a Winery south of Florence called Poggio Torcelli.
I'll have to check those out. I will have some time in Florence, but also needing another town or city suggested outside of Rome, Florence, Venice, Sorrento, Orvieto, Naples and Siena. Not sure whether to do a day trip to Lucca or just go there for a couple of days. Hope any that see this and have an opinion respond as well. Thank you. We averaged between 12 and 16 mile a day previously. Positano was beautiful. We enjoy the food and like the history of Italy. The Medici family were very influential in Florence, the Vatican and all over Tuscany and for any planning on going to Florence I recommend learning a bit about the Medici family and their influence. Netflix has a great series on it...embellished as many are, but based upon a lot of historical events

Last edited:
I'll have to check those out. I will have some time in Florence, but also needing another town or city suggested outside of Rome, Florence, Venice, Sorrento, Orvieto, Naples and Siena. Not sure whether to do a day trip to Lucca or just go there for a couple of days. Hope any that see this and have an opinion respond as well. Thank you. We averaged between 12 and 16 mile a day previously. Positano was beautiful. We enjoy the food and like the history of Italy. The Medici family were very influential in Florence, the Vatican and all over Tuscany and for any planning on going to Florence I recommend learning a bit about the Medici family and their influence. Netflix has a great series on it...embellished as many are, but based upon a lot of historical events

Ferrari factory and museum in Maranello.
There's a ferry system on lake Como so you can go visit the small towns on the lake.

I would definitely suggest Stresa. But sounds like you won’t be up that way! Sits on Lago Maggiore. Beautiful town surrounded by mountain and a lake. People were great there.

Amalfi and Positano are beautiful coastal cities. Relics of Saint Andrew are in the cathedral in Amalfi. There’s an outstanding pizza place whose name escapes me at this time, but it’s on a hill on the main street in Positano. Sorry, it’s been about 15 years since we were there.

Make sure in Florence to visit the gelato store across the piazza from Basilica di Santa Croce. If you like coconut or pistachio, they are excellent there. If you like the more traditional flavors they’re still good too.

Ferrari factory and museum in Maranello.
There's a ferry system on lake Como so you can go visit the small towns on the lake.
So far there is nothing too far north of Florence. Been to Venice and understand Lake Como is beautiful. She has cancelled a town she thought she wanted to go to just prior to Florence and now she is trying to fit in some place between Sorrento and Florence. If something is not on the route, then we probably need to readjust the route and reschedule some places. We thought about Milan a bit before scheduling some places. Thanks...sounds like some pretty views and possible visits in the various towns. There were some places in the Veneto region, but the time we are going there may have potential flooding.

Without question, Cinque Terra.
Whatever the reason, that has not excited her. Isn't this the four or five small towns close together but in different elevations? It is a bit farther north I think. I'm game to learning more, but must say Positano other than the beautiful scenery had too much up and down. Beautiful though...I may need to check her interest again, but it wouldn't be the most efficient use at this time with the trains and yet not a show stopper. I would expect the seafood to be quite good. Thanks!

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I would definitely suggest Stresa. But sounds like you won’t be up that way! Sits on Lago Maggiore. Beautiful town surrounded by mountain and a lake. People were great there.
Wow, way north of Milan. Getting farther north and even farther south intrigues me a bit, but would require reworking places to stay and a new route. I like a mixture of smaller towns as well as bigger ones, but most of our time in the past was in Rome and Tuscany areas. As an example she really liked Orvieto which is quiet small and has it again a visit. Not sure the number of days this time around won't be too much. The Duomo there is beautiful as are many in Italy. We have both had interest in the Medici family and have been to their museums and private chapels and she has another place she is trying to get a bit of info. Changing the route is not a huge problem for me, but places do start to fill and getting what you want can be difficult. One place we have considered previous was Montepulciano. My daughter had a college friend that has been to Italy several times and they enjoyed the Wine and food in Montepulciano. It I believe had no train route directly to it? Something was a bit more difficult in going there I seem to recall.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

That is not too far from Florence...the Chianti and easily a day trip. Thanks again

Pompei was amazing. I have a fascination for ancient cities and learning about ancient civilizations.

Whatever the reason, that has not excited her. Isn't this the four or five small towns close together but in different elevations? It is a bit farther north I think. I'm game to learning more, but must say Positano other than the beautiful scenery had too much up and down. Beautiful though...I may need to check her interest again, but it wouldn't be the most efficient use at this time with the trains and yet not a show stopper. I would expect the seafood to be quite good. Thanks!
It is far north on the West shore - houses of every color existing clinging to a cliff above a quiet bay. My kids just turned 50 and spent a summer in Italy/Turky/Greece etc a few years ago. They are pretty fit, so Cinque Terre may not have been as great a challenge. It was VERY quiet with great food.

Amalfi and Positano are beautiful coastal cities. Relics of Saint Andrew are in the cathedral in Amalfi. There’s an outstanding pizza place whose name escapes me at this time, but it’s on a hill on the main street in Positano. Sorry, it’s been about 15 years since we were there.

Make sure in Florence to visit the gelato store across the piazza from Basilica di Santa Croce. If you like coconut or pistachio, they are excellent there. If you like the more traditional flavors they’re still good too.
Had a lot of Gelato everyplace. By chance did you get a sandwich from https://www.allanticovinaio.com/il_menu_en/ They serve thousands each day. Two places across the street from each other. had difficulty eating one and usually I can put the food down without too much of an issue

Whenever friends ask about Italy trips I recommend Cinque Terra. When they return they all report it was the highlight of their trip. Spend some time in Pisa while you're there. Charming town.

Aviano AFB. And the area nearby is nice. Northern Italy. You can get some real Italian food rather than the tourist stuff. You can see the Real Italy. Some nice mountains are close too. Florence and Venice are nearby. They have a train station to take you anywhere. The people in the neighboring communities like Americans. Sometimes it’s more fun to stay in a small town and get a real feel and flavor for the place than to stay in the big cities.

We loved Amalfi and Positano. Sorrento isn't far from Pompeii, which is incredible. There are a couple of small villages we found by chance and happened to stumble into them during a saint's festival, which was fun to see.

We had a day trip to Capri, which we also enjoyed.

My wife and I really like Bologna. Nice outdoor eating and seemed safe. Stayed at the 5 star hotel there.
I got invited to speak at a conference there during the summer a few years ago when they have nightly film screenings on one of the big piazzas. The night I was there, they were showing Raging Bull, and there were probably a thousand people enjoying a beautiful night and a beautiful movie. Just an amazing place.

Without question, Cinque Terra.
Having never been there the things she has read is that once you saw one of the towns the others are the similar and it is a lot of hiking. I don't know that to be true, but I do enough walking there without trying to find more walking. ;) She still has Bologna on the list and recently took off Peruga due to difficulty in getting there and now considering Arezzo. She likes some of the off the tourist places

I got invited to speak at a conference there during the summer a few years ago when they have nightly film screenings on one of the big piazzas. The night I was there, they were showing Raging Bull, and there were probably a thousand people enjoying a beautiful night and a beautiful movie. Just an amazing place.
Bologna on the list. Anything other than above you would want to share?

Aviano AFB. And the area nearby is nice. Northern Italy. You can get some real Italian food rather than the tourist stuff. You can see the Real Italy. Some nice mountains are close too. Florence and Venice are nearby. They have a train station to take you anywhere. The people in the neighboring communities like Americans. Sometimes it’s more fun to stay in a small town and get a real feel and flavor for the place than to stay in the big cities.
We mis up the small towns with the larger ones. We want to get inside the culture a bit as well.

Whenever friends ask about Italy trips I recommend Cinque Terra. When they return they all report it was the highlight of their trip. Spend some time in Pisa while you're there. Charming town.
Good to know...until you know the reasons it is hard to know what you will like and not like. Why Cinque Terra...what did you like about it? Concerning Pisa any say a day trip is enough. I do want to see Lucca and she had considered Assisi but not sure that is still a thought?

It is far north on the West shore - houses of every color existing clinging to a cliff above a quiet bay. My kids just turned 50 and spent a summer in Italy/Turky/Greece etc a few years ago. They are pretty fit, so Cinque Terre may not have been as great a challenge. It was VERY quiet with great food.
Sounds like my daughter would love it and I could do the great food!

I like Florence a lot...partially due to the story of the Medici family and the Renaissance. Spent over a week there last time and I think have around 6 days this time, but some of that will be a day trip or two. Seems like at night there was always entertainment somewhere. Here we have just walked back across the river after a Florentine steak and followed the music. Kim on the video ;) 2 videos

Pompei was amazing. I have a fascination for ancient cities and learning about ancient civilizations.
Yes, we like the beauty and great food, but we are fond of history and there is a lot of it in Italy. A person could spend a month in Rome and not take it all in. We actually went into a first century church in Rome where it was 3 levels down. In other words two churches had been built on top of it. Seeing first century frescoes and how the first century viewed their Roman mythology as well as Christian understandings is interesting.

There are two arches in Rome...Constantine and Titus. Many are aware of Constantine, but few have a background on Titus...the son of Vespasian (who was popular and a statue inside Pompei). This is rather lengthy and so I'll cut it short as much as I can. Vespasian surrounded and started to starve the people inside the Jewish temple, but after a couple of years he was called back to Rome. His son Titus went to take over for him and destroyed the temple in 79AD. Flavious Joseph a first century Jewish general wrote of the destruction, disease and cannibalism that took place inside the temple for the people that didn't flee to the mountains during that stint when Vespasian left and before Titus came back thinking the temple was indestructible. Titus desecrated the church by having sex with a prostitute on the alter while the fires were burning up the city and melting gold. Stones were overturned looking for valuables and melted gold. The Arch of Titus shows his return and the bounty he was bringing back. This is a historical fact, but the interesting thing is its reference to the bible as a historical event rather than a futuristic event. Understanding that divide as a result of Titus makes the Arch more interesting...something probably 95% of the Americans have no idea what it referenced.

TJ, several great suggestions by our always reliable board. Although still in Tuscany, there is also a winery about an hour south of Florence, original home of the Verrazano family. Considerable history, with one of the sons expelled from the family, who became an early explorer, and the first European (discounting the Vikings) to visit the NA East Coast. Namesake of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Local legend sez that "Verrazano" means the crazy people who live with the wild boars. Great tours, but not much NCAA Men's coverage...

• Haha
TJ, several great suggestions by our always reliable board. Although still in Tuscany, there is also a winery about an hour south of Florence, original home of the Verrazano family. Considerable history, with one of the sons expelled from the family, who became an early explorer, and the first European (discounting the Vikings) to visit the NA East Coast. Namesake of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Local legend sez that "Verrazano" means the crazy people who live with the wild boars. Great tours, but not much NCAA Men's coverage...
Well the the tourney will be over when we go. Right now checking out Airbnb and booking for Naples. I will definitely check out the place you mention. Appreciate the info. Assume this is it and another winery to check out from my Purdue friends https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...o_di_Verrazzano-Greve_in_Chianti_Tuscany.html

We'll be there in three weeks for three weeks. No group tour and no busses, found a company that provides drivers/guides and front of the line for major sites. Start in Rome end up in Venice. She has two days of cooking classes, and I have auto and motorcycle tours. Maybe we can meet up before we leave.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
That is on the list. Do you recall much about it other that what you stated here?

Sorry in replying late, too many bb games. There is a huge amphitheater with concerts and light shows, a huge Cathedral with a lot of history, many great restaurants, a McDonald's, etc. When I was there 2 years ago the main street was blocked off for the summer and just great little shops to walk to. We stayed at the Grand Majestic (very expensive but nice) and it had a breakfast that was unbelievable, you didn't eat until dinner again. When we stayed there Adam Lambert (Queen) also was staying there so when leaving the hotel we had to make our way through hundreds of people waiting outside for him to appear. Most likely you would not have that problem :(.

Sorry in replying late, too many bb games. There is a huge amphitheater with concerts and light shows, a huge Cathedral with a lot of history, many great restaurants, a McDonald's, etc. When I was there 2 years ago the main street was blocked off for the summer and just great little shops to walk to. We stayed at the Grand Majestic (very expensive but nice) and it had a breakfast that was unbelievable, you didn't eat until dinner again. When we stayed there Adam Lambert (Queen) also was staying there so when leaving the hotel we had to make our way through hundreds of people waiting outside for him to appear. Most likely you would not have that problem :(.
Thanks no problem. I'm the one asking for info and appreciate the info when ever it arrives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT