ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Don't have a dog in this fight, but did Elkhart Christian get away with a halfcourt violation on their game winning possession yesterday? (Video)

Mar 6, 2024
Down 1 with 4 seconds left, Elkhart Christian made a lay up as time expired to win the Regional championship, but did the refs miss a call before that?

As I understand the rule, the ball and the player both have to completely cross the line before you are considered "over" for the over-and-back violation. If that is the case, the player having a toe on the line would not be a violation.
both feet and the ball must have been advanced past the line. That was not a violation.
There is one other thing to consider that I remembered. The part where the kid receiving the pass appeared to jumpfrom behind the line, catch the ball in the air, and then land in the frontcourt. Video's not the best so you can't really tell, but I believe if that's what happened, that would've been a violation as well.

There is one other thing to consider that I remembered. The part where the kid receiving the pass appeared to jumpfrom behind the line, catch the ball in the air, and then land in the frontcourt. Video's not the best so you can't really tell, but I believe if that's what happened, that would've been a violation as well.
looks good to me along w/ a Danny Ainge like finish

Reactions: NEIndyBOILER
Couple of observations from this...#15 nearly blocks his teammates path to the basket on that final lay-up lol. Also, I don't watch a ton of HS games anymore, but do most have the square light up on the backboard now that is set with the clock?

I'm not sure what you're thinking he violated by crossing the midcourt line in the air.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
I'm not sure what you're thinking he violated by crossing the midcourt line in the air.
Let's say a teammte has dribnled the ball past half court ahead of you and tries to throw you a lob pass, not realizing that you haven't crossed the line yet. Knowing that you won't be able to catch up to the pass by running and to save the ball from going out of bounds, you start your jump on your side of the court, catch the ball in the air, and land on the opponent's side. That would be a turnover since you never established yourself on that side of the court first. Think of it as similiar to you being the first person to touch the ball after you've been out of bounds.

Let's say a teammte has dribnled the ball past half court ahead of you and tries to throw you a lob pass, not realizing that you haven't crossed the line yet. Knowing that you won't be able to catch up to the pass by running and to save the ball from going out of bounds, you start your jump on your side of the court, catch the ball in the air, and land on the opponent's side. That would be a turnover since you never established yourself on that side of the court first. Think of it as similiar to you being the first person to touch the ball after you've been out of bounds.
it is similar, but does the rule say they are the same?

it is similar, but does the rule say they are the same?
Same as, in regards to them both resulting in turnovers lol. Got so used to saying "similar to" when explaining things to my parents over the years that those two phrases became interchangeable and I don't even realize it anymore.

Doesn't matter. The ball had not been advanced across the line, so the player that received the pass was fine either way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT