ADVERTISEMENT

OSU spends over $34 million to field a team this year.

Let’s look at it a different way. We could never compete with OSU. We pulled off a few emotional upsets, But even with those upsets, we were never in the same league or level with them.

We once had a 4/5 WR committed until on a lark, he went to the OSU summer camp. At the end of the camp, he had committed to OSU.

We don’t even try to recruit the same players OSU recruits.

Instead of whining about what OSU does, we should concentrate on what Iowa, Illinois, U.W, Minn, MSU, northwestern, And other similar schools do.

The only real reason we are in the Big 10 is OSU and Mich and Penn st and Oregon and USC need somebody to play. If they could dump us without having to pay a fortune, they would. If they could replace us with someone like Texas or Miami, they’d do it in a heartbeat. The big 10 is now about ratings, revenue and media coverage. It’s not about fair competition.

You don't, but then again, how long can they keep that up? I love the story of the MSU business "combine" that funded 3 players and pulled all funding when coach was shown the door. These aren't faceless, emotionless entities chipping in to the pot, they are emotional, sometimes irrational mega fans that are used to getting something for their investment. Well, not everyone can win the NC, so what happens after 2-3 years of also-rans? I think IU is experiencing some of the DIS (Donor Input Syndrome) right now, their board seems to think Woodson's retention was partly influenced by donors (i.e. keep him and you get the $$$). How long can that stand? Instead of one Jerry Jones, now you have 20 or more? Yoinks.

Let’s look at it a different way. We could never compete with OSU. We pulled off a few emotional upsets, But even with those upsets, we were never in the same league or level with them.

We once had a 4/5 WR committed until on a lark, he went to the OSU summer camp. At the end of the camp, he had committed to OSU.

Instead of whining about what OSU does, we should concentrate on what Iowa, Illinois, U.W, Minn, MSU, northwestern, And other similar schools do.

The only real reason we are in the Big 10 is OSU and Mich and Penn st and Oregon and USC need somebody to play. If they could dump us without having to pay a fortune, they would. If they could replace us with someone like Texas or Miami, they’d do it in a heartbeat. The big 10 is now about ratings, revenue and media coverage. It’s not about fair competition.
We are in the Big Ten because we started it.

How do we compete in the new portal era?
They're still limited to 85 scholaships plus "walkons" who get NIL. And at the end of the day, only 22 start and 30-40 get regular PT.

At some point some blue chipper wants to start, but can't because there's 2 5* getting $1 mill in his way. So he enters the portal.

Got a couple from UGA that way. That's how we compete. Not with OSU, but with every other middle of the pack program in the same situation. When you think about it, that's just how it's always been. It's just the players get paid out in the open nowadays.

They're still limited to 85 scholaships plus "walkons" who get NIL. And at the end of the day, only 22 start and 30-40 get regular PT.

At some point some blue chipper wants to start, but can't because there's 2 5* getting $1 mill in his way. So he enters the portal.

Got a couple from UGA that way. That's how we compete. Not with OSU, but with every other middle of the pack program in the same situation. When you think about it, that's just how it's always been. It's just the players get paid out in the open nowadays.
I agree with this mostly. And even if the losses of Burks and Scourton sting a bit over the years I still think the portal has given more to Purdue than it’s taken.

This staff has recruited well by Purdues standards. We will still get players who can play and cycle down from the blue bloods for playing time and nominal money. Agree that we likely don’t compete with the big boys routinely tho. Not when 34 million is being doled out by them!

Money does not always mean success, the NY Mets and San Diego overspent the past two years with little to show for it. Might throw the NYY into the recent past pot too. Will see just how well the LAD do with their payroll to buy a title this year!

Reactions: SKYDOG and z_one
We are in the Big Ten because we started it.
There is current speculation that in the near future, if a school doesn’t contribute x amount to the revenue generated by the BiG 10, the school will find itself being voted out of the BIG 10. And that speculation has been made by several national media sources. The same sources that are saying Miami and FSU will be able to use their lawyers to get out of the ACC. Being a founding member doesn’t carry the weight it used to in college conferences.

There is current speculation that in the near future, if a school doesn’t contribute x amount to the revenue generated by the BiG 10, the school will find itself being voted out of the BIG 10. And that speculation has been made by several national media sources. The same sources that are saying Miami and FSU will be able to use their lawyers to get out of the ACC. Being a founding member doesn’t carry the weight it used to in college conferences.
Basketball is a big help here.

But not if they go football super conference only.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Not happening.

Reactions: tbird2017
There’s a lot of things happening that I never thought would. Unbelievable things are now believable
Agree. A BIG with basketball will never be without Purdue. A BIG with football only…we have little shot to stick if they are seeking to replace members. Our saving grace here is that BIG basketball drives revenue and keeps us on par with the SECs football behemoth. That thought may change with the West Coast 4 coming in.

I would never say never here. We thought they’d never have a championship game. Then never have a playoff. Then never have 16+ team leagues. That we’d never add schools just for their TV revenues.

The moment we get booted from major college football is the moment I stop supporting major college football!

Purdue winning a national title in football will never happen unless priorites of the alum shift to be football crazed and shell out the cash like the other top shelf schools.
Purdue can still be really good and make bank but will never win a national title.

Basketball is different as there is less money needed to complete a team and I believe the alumni are more willing to shell out the cash. I think Purdue will win a natty under Paintet now that he has the final 4 monkey off his back.
Football is a lost cause though in terms of a natty.

Purdue winning a national title in football will never happen unless priorites of the alum shift to be football crazed and shell out the cash like the other top shelf schools.
Purdue can still be really good and make bank but will never win a national title.

Basketball is different as there is less money needed to complete a team and I believe the alumni are more willing to shell out the cash. I think Purdue will win a natty under Paintet now that he has the final 4 monkey off his back.
Football is a lost cause though in terms of a natty.
Agree. Don’t have and probably never will have the fan base to support it.

That said…and I said this when Brohm was here…I don’t think it’s off to expect 7-9 wins from a football team that’s decently funded and well coached. We’ve made up leaps and bounds in facilities in a very short time. I think the fans have rallied behind the new coach and program as a whole as well.

Gotta cash in on the fan and $ investments now though OR we will start to see a football backslide. Or maybe this guys such a good recruiter than if we can keep these guys around for the next coach we will be fine?

I fully agree. I’ve seen many things in the past 5 years I would never have thought possible.

I don’t believe Purdue would ever be kicked out of the BIG10. I also never thought USC would join the BIG 10. Or that the BIG 10 would try to add Texas or Miami.

Purdue is about to receive a lot of money as a B1G team compared to most of CFB. Purdue will need to use those resources to differentiate themselves from those teams. Not just coast.

Football yes. Basketball is a different story though. Gotta look at all sports and not just football though.

Reactions: tbird2017
Money does not always mean success, the NY Mets and San Diego overspent the past two years with little to show for it. Might throw the NYY into the recent past pot too. Will see just how well the LAD do with their payroll to buy a title this year!
Cowboys are in there too.

It's been going on forever. It's just legal now. You could argue the portal will even the playing field some. Yes, we will lose a few contributors but we are pulling in 4 star recruits that went to georgia. We wouldn't have sniffed those guys out of hs. I hate the portal but I think it's a help to purdue overall.

You don't. They basically have a team of all stars in 2024 especially with all of the juniors returning that could have been high selections in the NFL draft. Marvin Harrison was the only one that left. OSU having only 4 players drafted is not a good thing for the B1G and country. This might be their most talented team and decades. That Michigan NC really lit a scorching fire under the OSU program. They also went out and pulled in Caleb Downs, RB Judkins, QB Sayin from Alabama and All Big 12 QB Howard from Kansas State from the Portal. Just ridiculous

You don't, but then again, how long can they keep that up? I love the story of the MSU business "combine" that funded 3 players and pulled all funding when coach was shown the door. These aren't faceless, emotionless entities chipping in to the pot, they are emotional, sometimes irrational mega fans that are used to getting something for their investment. Well, not everyone can win the NC, so what happens after 2-3 years of also-rans? I think IU is experiencing some of the DIS (Donor Input Syndrome) right now, their board seems to think Woodson's retention was partly influenced by donors (i.e. keep him and you get the $$$). How long can that stand? Instead of one Jerry Jones, now you have 20 or more? Yoinks.
3 of those 4 teams are newish to the B1G, if we didn’t start it we wouldn’t be here they aren’t recruiting practice teams to join lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT