ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State/Purdue Game Discussion Thread

I thought Purdue showed some real moxy down the stretch after Oregon St twice made things very interesting.

There's a lot to work on, but it's great to open the season with a win.

Agreed. And I have been an O’Connell guy for the last couple years but I am very happy with how Plummer really hung tough taking insane pressure early and then quite a few drops on good throws. He stayed with it and made some really good plays for us.

Boiler Up my friends.

Reactions: Purdue85
I thought Purdue showed some real moxy down the stretch after Oregon St twice made things very interesting.

There's a lot to work on, but it's great to open the season with a win.
Definitely agree. Obviously the points left on the field don’t count but from my vantage point we left 22 that should have and hopefully will be on the scoreboard as we get in the groove this season. And 52-21 feels much much different than 30-21. At the end of the day happy with the win, happy with the way we look. Not a finished product but we showed aggression and tenacity that personally I think we haven’t seen the last 2 years, especially on the defensive side. They looked like they wanted to win, especially once it got tight down the stretch.

IL is gonna go down to UTSA but in their defense UTSA has dudes that look like they walked off an NFL team. How does that happen?

Definitely agree. Obviously the points left on the field don’t count but from my vantage point we left 22 that should have and hopefully will be on the scoreboard as we get in the groove this season. And 52-21 feels much much different than 30-21. At the end of the day happy with the win, happy with the way we look. Not a finished product but we showed aggression and tenacity that personally I think we haven’t seen the last 2 years, especially on the defensive side. They looked like they wanted to win, especially once it got tight down the stretch.
I told a friend that a lot of this game was frustrating to watch, but I thought the end was a sign of encouragement.

Agreed. And I have been an O’Connell guy for the last couple years but I am very happy with how Plummer really hung tough taking insane pressure early and then quite a few drops on good throws. He stayed with it and made some really good plays for us.

Boiler Up my friends.
I don't think you win big games with Plummer. Oregon State's offensive coordinator made some stupid calls that helped the Boilers a lot. An ugly win is still win though.

I don't think you win big games with Plummer. Oregon State's offensive coordinator made some stupid calls that helped the Boilers a lot. An ugly win is still win though.

It was a mixed bag today for sure. He under threw Anthrop and made a bad toss to King and both left points on the field. But he mad some good throws down the stretch too.

Keep getting better week by week.

Reactions: rgarlitz and BSIT
IMHO, Plummer was a highlight for the team tonight. He handled the pressure extremely well and made no serious mistakes. He was 29-41 (70% completion rate) with 2 TDs to 0 INTs with a suspect OL and not much of a running game. And he won the game. Not sure what more you could ask from a QB.

IMHO, Plummer was a highlight for the team tonight. He handled the pressure extremely well and made no serious mistakes. He was 29-41 (70% completion rate) with 2 TDs to 0 INTs with a suspect OL and not much of a running game. And he won the game. Not sure what more you could ask from a QB.
Anyone watch the rest of the B1G games this weekend? Holy shit there’s a bunch of bad QB play. Our guy is going to finish in the top three passers in the league this year. Simply because there’s a whole bunch of guys at 11 for 26 for 140 yards.

heisman prospect Penix threw for 156 yards and three INTs.

Reactions: purduepat1969
The best 2 teams in league I saw seemed to be Ohio St and Mich St.

As for our 2 kickers, theFG guy was great. I’d say he’s good from 55 in. The punter, meh.

Didn’t see any significant injuries so that’s good.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I would throw in Trice. When he knocked the pass down towards the end of the game, I think that essentially sealed the game for us. Things changed quite a bit after he did that.

I would throw in Trice. When he knocked the pass down towards the end of the game, I think that essentially sealed the game for us. Things changed quite a bit after he did that.

That was a huge play....good to see the secondary come through....don't know if the last couple of seasons' teams could have pulled that off when adversity came knocking.

Lots of places for improvement, but overall - some encouraging signs......we shall see, but it's good to have Purdue start a season with a win. Sounds like those in attendance enjoyed themselves, too.

If the OL doesn't improve, we're gonna have issues. This was a nice opening day win. But ND is not far away. I don't expect them to beat ND. Hopefully they don't get overwhelmed by a much stronger D.
Good lord chill out about the OL. Yes they had some issues but they were the more physical line tonight. They will learn and improve.

Reactions: Purdue85 and Beorik
Good lord chill out about the OL. Yes they had some issues but they were the more physical line tonight. They will learn and improve.
Uhm, no. They were not the "more physical" line. You must have been watching a different game than me. Run blocking was atrocious. Plummer was pressured all night. I'm really not sure what you're seeing...

OSU made a huge coaching mistake by going for a Forth and 2 in their end of the field. They should have punted and pushed us back. We were making plays, but not stringing them together. Their defense could have held up and got them the ball back with only two points separating us.

Beyond that, our QB play was excellent. Our defense, especially the DBs were great. Good win to start the season.

I actually thought they settled down as the game went on. It looked terrible the first quarter or so but I thought by the end they were doing better.

good observations, Pat, but the OL was significantly improved against another P5 program.

Anyone watch the rest of the B1G games this weekend? Holy shit there’s a bunch of bad QB play. Our guy is going to finish in the top three passers in the league this year. Simply because there’s a whole bunch of guys at 11 for 26 for 140 yards.

heisman prospect Penix threw for 156 yards and three INTs.

Former Heisman prospect .I bet there has never been a Heisman winner who had two pick sixes in one game, LOL.

Plus, now that he is not a threat to run, the defenses can concentrate on pass coverage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT