ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue men's basketball One scholarship too many | Transfer?

Casey Bartley

Staff Writer
Staff
Oct 25, 2022
I know this is part of the gig, but it's my least favorite. Speculating coldly whose life and career will be uprooted for good or bad reasons isn't fun. Who is to say how cleanly these separations actually go behind the scenes. No one chose to come to Purdue because they didn't want to play in a Purdue jersey. But someone will have to go. Purdue is currently one scholarship too many with the six incoming freshman.

How did we get here? Well, mostly it was uncertain timing and a commit Painter couldn't say no to. Daniel Jacobsen contemplated taking a year at prep school and re-classifying to 2025. Instead, the big man and potential star rim-protector decided to stay in his natural 2024 class and with him and Gicarri Harris, Painter ended up with one extra scholarship.

This is the state of college basketball now. Coaches have to assume they are going to lose someone.

Again, this is who Purdue has returning: Braden Smith (Jr.), Fletcher Loyer (Jr.), Caleb Furst (Sr.), Trey Kaufman-Renn (Jr.), Myles Colvin, (So.) Brian Waddell (Jr.), Camden Heide (Fr.), Will Berg (So.).

I'll rank them a bit on a tier list on how surprised I would be if they were the ones to transfer:

Shocked:

Braden Smith, Fletcher Loyer, Myles Colvin, and Camden Heide

We know Gonzaga came calling to Braden Smith with a substantial money offer. It would take that and more for any of these four to leave this season. This will be the heart of Purdue's team this year and next, all of them have great relationships with the programs and coaches. I can't imagine any of them not being on the team next season.

There's almost no way:

Trey Kaufman-Renn and Caleb Furst

Both players have lost out to more minutes than anyone else because of Zach Edey's dominance. Both have the most to gain with his departure. I think Trey Kaufman-Renn will finally be in his ideal spot. He's always been a score first big, dominant in the post, and most comfortable with the ball in his hands. For two years, he's sacrificed by coming off the bench and then playing a position that's not natural to him. TKR is a center. He played power forward for Edey. He's not going to play power forward for just anyone. He's going to be the focal point inside for an offense that knows how to play through the post. There's not many of those places around. The only reason I wouldn't be entirely shocked is a few moments this season where players getting on each other on the court - a lot of the time that ire was directed towards TKR. TKR is a unique individual and knows his introverted nature makes him stand out a little, but he's also not someon that's gonna make a rash decision. I expect him to be Purdue's starting center next year.

Caleb Furst had a disappointing junior year. There's no way around that. He got even less minutes than his first two seasons where he spent good parts of each as a starter and one of Purdue's best big men. This year, his confidence and rhythm seemed shot. His minutes weren't there and when he was out there, it wasn't the Furst that looked like a unique blend of size and athleticism. Big minutes at the four and five are both available and Purdue is going to need someone to anchor its defense. Furst is the best bet for that. At times, he has been a five man that could defend the rim, rebound, and switch out ont he perimeter. He moves so well for someone his size. There's the stuff away from basketball. Furst will be a doctor one day and he's at Purdue for his pre-med. (Does this kind of school work on top of a basketball team explain some of his struggles? Maybe.) But Furst isn't going to leave if it jeopardizes his future in med school and as a doctor. His priorities away from the court are also in West Lafayette. There's not much reason for him to want to go elsewhere.

It's complicated:

Will Berg and Brian Waddell

These are going to be the two favorites when it comes to theories on who is leaving I'm sure. There's no ignoring the logic - Berg has still not seen any meaningful action on the court. Granted, with the bigs Purdue had around Edey, that's not a surprise. But it means dealing with someone who is still a complete unknown on the court. Berg speculation almost entirely depends on how you think he sees his future at Purdue. Will be vying for major minutes next year? He could. Purdue doesn't have anyone like him on the roster ready to play next year. He has tremendous size. He has theoretical range to stretch the floor. But if you believe TKR's future is at the five, then will Berg be happy being at best a back up with a couple promising big men coming to campus this year in Jacobsen and Raleigh Burgess? Or is now the time for him to try and get as much playing time as possible somewhere. There's been no indication that's what he's thinking, but it's a fair question.

Brian Waddell has almost no path to immediate or future minutes. Waddell is a legacy kid who suffered a pretty devastating knee injury his first season at Purdue. He was briefly in the rotation in his redshirt freshman season, but fell out of it once Big Ten play started. He's been only used for mop up duty since. He has good size on the wing, is more athletic than you think, and could play somewhere without a doubt. He's a unique big wing, but he's behind Fletcher Loyer, Myles Colvin, Camden Heide, and Purdue will add Kanon Catchings, Gicarri Harris, and CJ Cox. With Heide, Colvin, and Catchings, hybrid wings/bigs are redundant. There's plenty of skilled wing that's gonna struggle to find minutes. Add in that Smith and Loyer still have two seasons, Harris and Catchings are both ready from day one - maybe even CJ Cox, too, there's just not much basketball wise that makes sense for Waddell to stick around. Unless being apart of his father's program, this Purdue team, is enough for him. There's also that he's dating a volleyball player at Purdue - it's not a bad life, being a college basketball player making NIL even if the minutes aren't there.

There's not an easy answer on the roster, and with the portal and an NIL world that is still working like free agency, shockers will happen. There's no indication it's happening with this team, but as Painter has said - it'll probably catch up with them at some point.

We'll keep ya'll updated with any actual changes we hear or expect as it happens. Things weren't likely to clear up while Purdue was still playing games. Now the off season starts and movement should follow.

Reactions: Schnelk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News