ADVERTISEMENT

One Really Violent Day

These are valid questions, which are something for the legal system to wrestle with, but all of it still counts as due process. Getting "tuned up" is outside of due process. So, while we could have a discussion about how many chances someone gets or what the sentence should be for crimes, we can't really get there if your solution to those sentences not being harsh enough is that someone loses the protection of the constitution. Or are you suggesting that the constitution should be amended such that due process is no longer guaranteed? Or that it could be forfeited?
I'm of the opinion that when you decide to break the law, you've broken your contract with the constitution and now you're on your own.
First time offenders, fine. They get a second chance. Someone with a rap sheet? Nope. That person's demonstrated that they're not interested in playing by society's rules. I've got no sympathy for what happens to them, whether that's getting tuned up by the cops or shot by a gang banger.

It's also funny that anything that's of a sort of scientific consensus that disagrees with you can be discounted because it comes from "lefty-libs," but you accept Christian organizations as a good source for science criticism. Like I could link you to Answers in Genesis and they'd have a similarly authoritative article about how the science that says the Earth is 4.5 billion years old is actually based on poor research, but that doesn't make the claim that it's 6-10k years old any less ridiculous. Never once in the history of humanity has religion disproved science. Only better science does that. But, since you asked for a reference:
There's a few. I know, I know, these are all "lefty-lib" organizations referring to research done by "lefty-lib social behaviorists," so you are completely justified in ignoring them because, you know, you turned out fine so spanking must not cause any harm, actually.

Now, if you want to say you think the science is wrong, that's your prerogative. But you don't get to pretend to be in line with it when it very clearly does not support your position.
Hey, if you want to negotiate with your kids, then that's your parenting style.
I was brought to realize there were unpleasant consequences for bad behavior. It worked well on me and has worked well for me as a parent.
But from an ideological standpoint, I would feel comfortable guessing that most anti-spanking adults are liberals. I would also guess that most of the kids needing safe spaces, coloring their hair purple, marching in pro-hamas demonstrations, etc, are also liberal. Do you see the correlation?

"My boy was a good boy, he was going to church and trying to turn his life around"
You mean those types of criminals who can seem to get out of the habit of getting in trouble?

As far as Gaza, it's pretty much a parking lot now. On to Beirut and then Tehran.
I'm with you....especially with Iran. Take out the big boys one by one until you get them all.

I'm of the opinion that when you decide to break the law, you've broken your contract with the constitution and now you're on your own.
First time offenders, fine. They get a second chance. Someone with a rap sheet? Nope. That person's demonstrated that they're not interested in playing by society's rules. I've got no sympathy for what happens to them, whether that's getting tuned up by the cops or shot by a gang banger.
Where does this opinion come from? Because there's nothing in the constitution that suggests it's protections are conditional, as you suggest.

I was brought to realize there were unpleasant consequences for bad behavior. It worked well on me and has worked well for me as a parent.
But from an ideological standpoint, I would feel comfortable guessing that most anti-spanking adults are liberals. I would also guess that most of the kids needing safe spaces, coloring their hair purple, marching in pro-hamas demonstrations, etc, are also liberal. Do you see the correlation?
You THINK it worked well for you and for your kids, but the research would suggest that all of you would be better off had you not been spanked.

Also, this is the second time you've mentioned people coloring their hair purple as if it's somehow a bad thing. What's that about?

I never hit my kids.

I do not negotiate with my kids.

My kids are fully aware that there are real consequences for bad behavior.

My kids are some very squared away, hard-working individuals.

I never hit my kids.

I do not negotiate with my kids.

My kids are fully aware that there are real consequences for bad behavior.

My kids are some very squared away, hard-working individuals.
Good point, Bone seems to think experiencing physical pain is the only thing that qualifies as a consequence (when there are clearly many other things that can serve that purpose) and that the only alternative to spanking is negotiation (which is also clearly not true).

Insert Riveting saying we're the same person talking ourselves below.

All good. And to confirm that someone has broken the law they need to be convicted in a court of law, not summary-justice on Donald Trump’s “really violent day” where a President tells police to forget about the rule law and dole out beatings on the spot.

Good point, Bone seems to think experiencing physical pain is the only thing that qualifies as a consequence, when there are clearly many other things that can serve that purpose.

Insert Riveting saying we're the same person talking ourselves below.
Bonefish even said that when he stopped being hit for misbehavior the subsequent consequences were worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT