ADVERTISEMENT

Oh, my!

I've watched a few OTE games and I think it's pretty clear that Catchings is a 3. He can really jump but he's pretty thin and I'm not sure he's going to be a great rebounder at the next level. We might be able to play him with 3 other guards but I think we'd be a pretty weak rebounding team without a dominant rebounder at the center position. He's a really good outside shooter and has great handles for a guy his size. He'd project as an NBA wing, so my guess Painter sold him on the opportunity to play on the perimeter here at Purdue.

The competition in the backcourt will be crazy next year (assuming everyone stays) we'll have:
Smith
Loyer
Catchings
Colvin
Heide
Harris
Cox
Bentor
Waddell
Smith is a lock for 30+ minutes but who the other 4 guys are that get the remaining 85 to 90 minutes should be interesting to see.

Maybe Catchings or Heide get some front court minutes, but I don't believe it's the natural position for either.

Front Court
TKR
Furst
Berg
Jacobsen
Burgess

Reactions: Schnelk
If we're gonna have a problem, this is the one to have!

We haven't seen 4 of the other 8 backcourt guys ... so, impossible to answer that question.
We can make some assumption based on general history, but there have been major aberrations to the thought that Painter doesn't play freshmen AND that they generally struggle in the B1G especially.

But my neck is tough, so I'll stick it out:
Loyer - 20
Heide - 20
Colvin - 12
Catchings/Harris - 24 - more for one or the other depending on circumstances.
Benter - 9
Cox -RS
Waddell - 0

Last edited:
I've watched a few OTE games and I think it's pretty clear that Catchings is a 3. He can really jump but he's pretty thin and I'm not sure he's going to be a great rebounder at the next level. We might be able to play him with 3 other guards but I think we'd be a pretty weak rebounding team without a dominant rebounder at the center position. He's a really good outside shooter and has great handles for a guy his size. He'd project as an NBA wing, so my guess Painter sold him on the opportunity to play on the perimeter here at Purdue.

The competition in the backcourt will be crazy next year (assuming everyone stays) we'll have:
Smith
Loyer
Catchings
Colvin
Heide
Harris
Cox
Bentor
Waddell
Smith is a lock for 30+ minutes but who the other 4 guys are that get the remaining 85 to 90 minutes should be interesting to see.

Maybe Catchings or Heide get some front court minutes, but I don't believe it's the natural position for either.

Front Court
TKR
Furst
Berg
Jacobsen
Burgess
I could see Heide and Catchings playing together at the 3 and 4. Offensively, I think the Heide is a good fit at the 4 where he can stretch the floor and crash the boards. He has some similarities to Gillis, but with more athleticism.

Defensively, I think you can play matchups. Heide might be the guy who takes the best wing on the opposing team most games, as his defense is very good. If I were to guess at this point, I could see a front line of Heide, Catchings, and TKR and until I see otherwise, I see Smith and Loyer as the backcourt. That said, I wouldn’t be shocked if Harris is next year’s surprise starter. It sounds like he is very advanced defensively and if he can earn Painter’s trust, I think the minutes will be there.

Colvin is a bit of a wild card. If he can figure out his role, particularly defensively, he could be a big time scorer for next year’s team.

I could see Heide and Catchings playing together at the 3 and 4. Offensively, I think the Heide is a good fit at the 4 where he can stretch the floor and crash the boards. He has some similarities to Gillis, but with more athleticism.

Defensively, I think you can play matchups. Heide might be the guy who takes the best wing on the opposing team most games, as his defense is very good. If I were to guess at this point, I could see a front line of Heide, Catchings, and TKR and until I see otherwise, I see Smith and Loyer as the backcourt. That said, I wouldn’t be shocked if Harris is next year’s surprise starter. It sounds like he is very advanced defensively and if he can earn Painter’s trust, I think the minutes will be there.

Colvin is a bit of a wild card. If he can figure out his role, particularly defensively, he could be a big time scorer for next year’s team.
Was going to say the same thing. It’s all about who you put Catchings alongside.

Reactions: Flot and Do Dah Day
If we're gonna have a problem, this is the one to have!

We haven't seen 4 of the other 8 backcourt guys ... so, impossible to answer that question.
We can make some assumption based on general history, but there have been major aberrations to the thought that Painter doesn't play freshmen AND that they generally struggle in the B1G especially.

But my neck is tough, so I'll stick it out:
Loyer - 20
Heide - 20
Colvin - 12
Catchings/Harris - 24 - more for one or the other depending on circumstances.
Benter - 9
Cox -RS
Waddell - 0
I'm not one to buy into hype on incoming recruits but after watching Catchings play, I think he's a day one starter or at least the first guy off the bench. At 6'8" he has guard like skills and can really shoot it. Was 4 of 5 from three last night in a playoff game. His threes are the type of threes Jones might shoot, not the toes on the line type threes you see from guys like TKR or Furst. There is a reason the experts have him in their 2025 mock drafts.

In my book as long as both are at Purdue, I see Colvin and Loyer fighting each other for minutes. They have similar strengths and weaknesses. Unless either or both of their defensive games improve, I can't see Painter ever playing the two of them together for significant lengths of time.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Was going to say the same thing. It’s all about who you put Catchings alongside.
If TKR or Furst are at center, I believe we'd have a tough time controlling the boards with Catchings or Heide at the 4. We might be okay, but I don't think we could count on the rebounding margins we've been accustomed to in the Painter era. He's a far different player than we've had at the 4 under Painter. He plays a similar game offensively to Colvin but he's 6'8" or 6'9".

Closest comparison would be VE who played the three when we had Biggie but the 4 before and after. Vince was a little more broad shouldered coming in and was playing with dominate centers in Hammons and Hass.

In reality we'll have a better idea of how things will shake out after we find out who transfers.

I'm not one to buy into hype on incoming recruits but after watching Catchings play, I think he's a day one starter or at least the first guy off the bench. At 6'8" he has guard like skills and can really shoot it. Was 4 of 5 from three last night in a playoff game. His threes are the type of threes Jones might shoot, not the toes on the line type threes you see from guys like TKR or Furst. There is a reason the experts have him in their 2025 mock drafts.

In my book as long as both are at Purdue, I see Colvin and Loyer fighting each other for minutes. They have similar strengths and weaknesses. Unless either or both of their defensive games improve, I can't see Painter ever playing the two of them together for significant lengths of time.
I agree, and Harris is damned good

Smith
Loyer
Catchings
Colvin
Heide
Harris
Cox
Bentor
Waddell

Front Court
TKR
Furst
Berg
Jacobsen
Burgess
I'm about 50/50 on Colvin coming back. Furst loves Purdue and that might be the only thing that keeps him here. Either way we have some amazing talent coming.

Reactions: pboiler18
I'm about 50/50 on Colvin coming back. Furst loves Purdue and that might be the only thing that keeps him here. Either way we have some amazing talent coming.
I’m not sure Myles comes back either? Really want him to and to put in the work to up his game and understanding of both offensive and defensive schemes. That said next year’s offense is likely to have a much different approach and I’m thinking probably more motion based so I think that fits Colvin better.

I believe both Catchings and Heide will see some time at the 4 as both can play either the 3-4. Hell Catchings could play 2-4! Love the prospect of all the potential talent coming in and currently on the roster!! 🖤💛🏀

Reactions: Schnelk

Smith
Loyer
Catchings
Colvin
Heide
Harris
Cox
Bentor
Waddell

Front Court
TKR
Furst
Berg
Jacobsen
Burgess
In the college game he is well suited for a 2,3, and 4. Where he goes is probably more due to what other players fill. He is a perimeter player and can shoot it, but he too will need to learn some D. Depending on the situation he could be a 5 when 5 are out...depending on how the D "IF" a variable is in play. He is not lacking offensively on the perimeter, but if a 3 is strong with others, he can be a 4 or another position. I see him as a swiss army knife being used as needed, but he will be used. Not sure his average game, but I've seen his potential up close and the kid has a LOT of skill and athletic ability to score the ball. He is one of those that glides down the court as though he is on skates.

Catchings has all the physical traits to start day 1, but it will be his maturity that will dictate playing time IMO. Growth there will be important. Don’t discount Harris starting day 1 too. Painter states he is his first day 1 offensive and defensive player to come to Purdue during his coaching tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT