ADVERTISEMENT

Illini oh my!!!

Very very ugly. Uconn can be beat pretty easily if you just make shots. They are missing every single open shot. Crazy. Same thing happened against San Diego St. They just couldn't make any shots at all. Lots are wide open and they aren't even close.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Very very ugly. Uconn can be beat pretty easily if you just make shots. They are missing every single open shot. Crazy. Same thing happened against San Diego St. They just couldn't make any shots at all. Lots are wide open and they aren't even close.
Agree. UConn plays like this they will be beat.

Doubt this happens again though.

Illinois is getting their sh!t pushed in. Imagine blabbering all year about TSJ being the best player in the country all year and he has 4 points and is 1-10 in this game. Totally vanishing in this game.

creighton beat UConn by 20 so they’re beatable but definitely haven’t looked beatable in the tourney. But neither has Purdue.

I actually think Uconn has looked very beatable in H1. 28 pts that's piss poor offensive effort. Granted the refs did not call contact & screwed offense for both teams. But still other than Clingon, no one else as hitting outside shots

Illinois has had garbage defense for two months. This is more garbage offense than the most brilliant Illini hater couldn’t call

Dan Hurley looks like he’s going to stroke out every game even though they have trailed about 20 secs this whole tournament

Agree. UConn plays like this they will be beat.

Doubt this happens again though.
2 games in a row. So who knows. Definitely can be beat though. Last 2 opponents have been absolutely terrible shooting though. I mean it was 28-23 at halftime. Illinois will be lucky to get to 40 points.

Aren’t Hawkins and Domask gone after this game? And Gibbs is probably transferring. Shannon gone too? This is a pretty sad way to go out

Reactions: Roeder
Just a thought. Nebraska and Northwestern and Ohio state got us……

Illinois couldn’t beat us at home

And their only notable win was an offensively inept team. They got Duquensce in the second round.

This outcome was always more likely than an upset

Reactions: Abugabby
Until they’re beaten.

Yeah - very very slim margin for error for the handful of teams that could compete with them......actually thought Illinois was one of them.

Different teams/different eras, but the closest I've seen in a while to Tarkanian's UNLV Rebels when they get going downhill.....can just overwhelm a team all over the court.

UCONN plays pretty decent defense. They'll be very tough to beat with big that's much more mobile than Zach.

Wild what UCONN just did. Didn’t understand why Illinois was attacking Clingan at the rim. They did better when they drew him away and neutralized him.

I think if you’re Painter and crew you share a message from this game - this isn’t boxing or MMA, no tap outs. Go for the jugular and don’t let up for 40 minutes.

Have to keep UConn outside at all costs. They're showing they miss a lot of 3's. Clog the paint with bigs. D should collapse back into the paint and force mid-range and outside shots. Give up nothing easy inside of 8 feet. Easier said than done of course.

Wild what UCONN just did. Didn’t understand why Illinois was attacking Clingan at the rim. They did better when they drew him away and neutralized him.

I think if you’re Painter and crew you share a message from this game - this isn’t boxing or MMA, no tap outs. Go for the jugular and don’t let up for 40 minutes.

I hear you, Beef - Underwood stated it in the first break/interview - "We're going to keep being aggressive, not back down, and go at him......if he blocks 100, then he blocks 100."

Probably could have added - "if they go on a 30 pt run, so be it......"

With all of that, had they finished at the rim in the first half - maybe they stay in it for a little while......don't think it would have changed the outcome, regardless. Illinois had a really nice solid season, but you hate to end it that way......

Reminded me of Purdue's Round of 16 game against top-seed Kansas in '17......multiplied by a factor of about three or four, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT