ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue football Official game day thread: Purdue at Iowa

Stacy_GoldandBlack.com

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2004
Greetings from Iowa City where Purdue will play its final conference road game of the season. It hopes it's not its final road game of the season — cuz any bowl destination is obviously a "road" game in a way.

But I think it's going to take a herculean effort for Purdue to play another one away from home this year.

Partly, that has to do with Elijah Sindelar's health. As we showed you earlier this week, he played without a knee brace in the first half against Northwestern and then had one on his left knee in the second, so I think it's a safe assumption he tweaked it during the game. He missed Tuesday's practice and practiced at least in some fashion on Wednesday and Thursday, per Jeff Brohm. But Sindelar also had treatment throughout the week, Brohm said, so not sure how much he actually did. Or what the injury is exactly.

Obviously kept a close eye on Sindelar when he was just out here warming up about 20 minutes ago, and he was just going through stretching-type, typical warmup stuff. He looked only OK, I'd say. We'll see how he looks dropping back and moving with the center a bit later when he comes out.

Richie Worship is out, but we still haven't been told officially the severity of his injury. I have also heard what was posted on the board yesterday — that it is a significant knee injury. But we'll see if Brohm offers more insight soon. I personally think Purdue still is more-than-OK at that position with D.J. Knox and Markell Jones. They're both productive backs with some versatility.

Will be interesting to see how Purdue's defense holds up. Iowa is going to be pretty button-down in terms of formations and use a lot of two-tight end/two-back sets. So the bigger concern here is the linebackers and secondary's ability to not bite on the play action while they're selling out to stop the run. TE Noah Fant could be a problem.

OK, I'm going to eat real quick before they come back out for more warmups. We'll be anticipating the whose-hands-are-under-Kirk-Barron's-butt portion of warmups again today. I'd guess Sindelar — because if Purdue starts Sparks, I'd be surprised if Sindelar even plays. Sindelar, hopefully, will at least give it a shot.

Also, Purdue has gray pants on. I don't know the jersey or helmets yet. Will let you know when I see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News