ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator hire is now absolutely CRITICAL

Once Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, LSU, and others get done with Texas recruits, There are only 2/3 stars left. Seriously, I am sure everyone here keeps an eye on recruiting in the South. Weather, proximity to home, grades, etc.

Once Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, LSU, and others get done with Texas recruits, There are only 2/3 stars left. Seriously, I am sure everyone here keeps an eye on recruiting in the South. Weather, proximity to home, grades, etc.
You know, minus our best recruit from last year….who will likely stay and be excited about this hire.

Reactions: TX4GB
He just turned down an offer from A&M in the 2 + million range to be the OC.
Who wants to be a figurehead, scapegoat at A&M while Jimbo collects the rest of his 80+ million before he gets fired? No young, up-and-coming coach would do that. Everyone knows Jimbo isn't giving up control of the offense.

Now coming to work for a defensive coach would be appealing to a young, talented coordinator.

Failure as a Head Coach doesn’t mean you can’t hack it as an OC.

This would be a good OC hire.
Never said it wouldn't be. Just said he got canned at North Texas. Some guys are better coordinators than they are head coaches...

JaMarcus Shephard was the emotional favorite of many, but for OC/AHC he is the logical fit. Washington leads the country in passing yards and he is the passing coordinator. He is young and charismatic—seemingly able to add to the Walters theme. Seems like they would create a core of a good young up and coming staff.

Depends on whether he wants a job or not. He's not likely getting a HC job anytime soon...
He wasn't a horrible HC. UNT is a hard place to win at. And he did alright there. They even made a bowl game this year and he was fired (don't understand why it happened). UNT gets the scraps of TCU and SMU in the DFW area when it comes to recruits. His offense is usually pretty good too. Looks of passing but they mixed in running pretty well. QB was damn near 30 years old too. He'd be a good get as an OC.

He wasn't a horrible HC. UNT is a hard place to win at. And he did alright there. They even made a bowl game this year and he was fired (don't understand why it happened). UNT gets the scraps of TCU and SMU in the DFW area when it comes to recruits. His offense is usually pretty good too. Looks of passing but they mixed in running pretty well. QB was damn near 30 years old too. He'd be a good get as an OC.
Definitely not against that hire...we could do a lot worse...

Absolutely correct. Since Beamer was brought up so much during the search, people should look at who he brought in as OC. Dowell Loggains........that's like hiring John Shoop to run your offense.
Yup. And rumors flying that Rattler might leave because of it

Reactions: Travisty13
JaMarcus Shephard was the emotional favorite of many, but for OC/AHC he is the logical fit. Washington leads the country in passing yards and he is the passing coordinator. He is young and charismatic—seemingly able to add to the Walters theme. Seems like they would create a core of a good young up and coming staff.
That would be a lateral move at best, and honestly prob a step down given how Washington has been performing.

There's a lot to be made with the narrative that people are suddenly jumping to any BIG or SEC job because of the new reality of realignment and TV deals, but that won't be the case for all of the schools

Absolutely correct. Since Beamer was brought up so much during the search, people should look at who he brought in as OC. Dowell Loggains........that's like hiring John Shoop to run your offense.
This is my main, maybe only, concern with Walters. Having to win the lottery with an OC candidate every year or two.

You miss on one, and it can derail the whole program. Like with Allen hiring DeBord after DeBoer left.

This is my main, maybe only, concern with Walters. Having to win the lottery with an OC candidate every year or two.

You miss on one, and it can derail the whole program. Like with Allen hiring DeBord after DeBoer left.
Definitely a critical hire, and is why I don't like hiring coordinators (who have to build a staff entirely from scratch) instead of previous head coaches who, ideally, already have established staffs that are all on the same page.

The new staff will need to gel quickly.

Walters sure has his work cut out for him.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Definitely a critical hire, and is why I don't like hiring coordinators (who have to build a staff entirely from scratch) instead of previous head coaches who, ideally, already have established staffs that are all on the same page.

The new staff will need to gel quickly.

Walters sure has his work cut out for him.
With the transfer portal now being a free for all....getting a hc and staff hired and on the same page is ultra important. Not only to get players but keeping players.

Reactions: purduepat1969

I'm with you completely. I always think you should go offense first when hiring a HC. But if he can nail his first OC, it could open the door for OCs to want to come here and he'd have a bigger pool to choose from.

Similar to Painter losing Shrewsberry, hiring Jack Owens, rehiring Shrewsberry, than hiring Terry Johnson. They are essentially OCs for the basketball team. Painter knows what he wants to run, but let's those guys do the offense. Another example, not saying we're Alabama, but Saban has to do this every couple years with his OCs. But as long as he has an eye for what wants, he won't turn into Allen and just picking up just anybody to run the Offense.

I'm with you completely. I always think you should go offense first when hiring a HC. But if he can nail his first OC, it could open the door for OCs to want to come here and he'd have a bigger pool to choose from.

Similar to Painter losing Shrewsberry, hiring Jack Owens, rehiring Shrewsberry, then hiring Terry Johnson. They are essentially OCs for the basketball team. Painter knows what he wants to run, but lets those guys do the offense. Another example, not saying we're Alabama, but Saban has to do this every couple years with his OCs. But as long as he has an eye for what wants, he won't turn into Allen and just picking up just anybody to run the Offense.
Yeah if he recruits enough offensive talent, that will attract good OCs, as they will view it as a stepping stone to an HC gig.

We’ll have to let it play out over the next week.

If I hear “power running attack”, “ball control”, or “control the line of scrimmage” at the presser, then it’s time to worry.

Yeah if he recruits enough offensive talent, that will attract good OCs, as they will view it as a stepping stone to an HC gig.

We’ll have to let it play out over the next week.

If I hear “power running attack”, “ball control”, or “control the line of scrimmage” at the presser, then it’s time to worry.

I have to believe he's not that dumb. And I have to believe Bobinski is smart enough to be heavily involved in who he hires as OC. If not, he's then he's setting this guy up to fail...

I have to believe he's not that dumb. And I have to believe Bobinski is smart enough to be heavily involved in who he hires as OC. If not, he's then he's setting this guy up to fail...
He is set up to fail and will fail. ZERO years head coaching experience using a big ten school as his training wheels.

He is set up to fail and will fail. ZERO years head coaching experience using a big ten school as his training wheels.

Look, I didn't like the hire. But there's no way you can say for certainty that he's going to fail. There are plenty of head coaches who fail as well.

Reactions: krf3632
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT