ADVERTISEMENT

off topic...somewhat. mental to physical and culture

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Although this 6 minute video deals more with the mental aspect of things outside of basketball it ties directly into the culture of a sports program..in double overtime playing extended minutes and it is much easier to play token D and hope the O doesn't attack or the many other situations it manifests. I'm such a believer in mental toughness I found this video of interest and hope others do as well.

Nice video. As a parent of two athletes that just turned 14 and 16 at times I have struggled to instill drive and passion into their academics and athletics. With the help of Clifton Strengths Finders (My organisation at work uses it) I have become much more knowledgeable about traits or strengths that individuals posses. When I was a kid we were told to be well rounded. Gallop (the group behind CSF) says to figure out what your strengths are and build upon them.

If you have ever heard someone say "I am just not good at that" there could be a lot of truth to their belief. CSF has tough me a lot about myself and what makes me, me. I can now also spot traits in others as well.

Gallop offers a tailor made questionnaire for teens and I have heard rave revues from parents that have had their kids take the test. It will give you insights into the kids strengths (what class they should take ect.) and their weakness's (be on top of subjects they may struggle with) I entend to have both of my kids take it this year.

I agree this is an interesting video. Living in Seattle I have seen several different things that the Seahawks coach has done with this researcher. IMHO many if not all of the young men that coach Painter is chasing after and at times is successful in getting fit the GRIT mode.

It all depends on how you look at things. I remember people talking about how DM had to be pretty good because his dad built him a Basketball court at their house.

To some I think that the basketball court came first and enabled DM to get better at his game.

I see it the other way. Dakota has grit and wanted to play basketball all of the time. His dad had the means to build him a basketball court so he did.

My point is if Dakota did not show the drive and passion at an early age why would his father build him indoor court?

I be
It all depends on how you look at things. I remember people talking about how DM had to be pretty good because his dad built him a Basketball court at their house.

To some I think that the basketball court came first and enabled DM to get better at his game.

I see it the other way. Dakota has grit and wanted to play basketball all of the time. His dad had the means to build him a basketball court so he did.

My point is if Dakota did not show the drive and passion at an early age why would his father build him indoor court?

I believe that and also believe the other can be effective. I think "nature" and "nurture" both can be things that lay the groundwork to be successful. If a person is not taught correctly, that person may not be as successful as another with the same grit and aptitude, but taught correctly and so I think the opportunity increases with proper direction. By the same token..with enough grit or passion...many things can be overcame. All results and conclusions drawn are a function of what was measured. Some colleges look closely at GPA and find that model is a good predictor for them. Forgetting many things that go on in k-12, let's just assume this is indicative of people that meet the expectations and will continue to meet the expectations in college. Obviously that would probably be more effective in colleges that aren't particularly science or math based. Purdue on the other hand might be more interested in "what courses" were taken adn not really care much about the GPA effects of foreign language or art in the high school GPA. I do believe that people like doing what they are successful at doing ...and so how does one increase the odds that a person be successful by helping them along..with proper technique and motivation. Success breeds more success and yet we must be aware of the "affective-cognitative" approach based upon Project Follow Through and its failures. The expectations of Jaime Escalante or Marva Collins led to much of their success. Those of us that had more than one child may see the differences in drive and natural ability in our children...see the grit differences as well as the inherent differences. A coach has the same issues...which buttons do I push to take this player where he wouldn't go on his own and they are all different buttons and some buttons just don't work. :)

I agree this is an interesting video. Living in Seattle I have seen several different things that the Seahawks coach has done with this researcher. IMHO many if not all of the young men that coach Painter is chasing after and at times is successful in getting fit the GRIT mode.

She should have told the Seahawks coach to run it on the 1 yard line.

Great book by the developer of the concept of Growth and Fixed Mindsets, Carol Dweck, who was mentioned in the video.

Amazon product ASIN B000FCKPHG
In the book John Wooden is used as an example of a growth mindset person and Bobby Knight as an example of a fixed mindset person.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT