ADVERTISEMENT

Off Season, Next year’s rotations, 2020 Recruiting

3generboiler

Senior
Sep 20, 2018
This season may be over but I find myself hungry for more Purdue hoops.

Offseason - CE gone? Who makes dramatic steps? How big will Jelly be next year? Who will we bring in to lead our offensive strategy? How will that strategy stay or change based upon losing RC and likely CE?

Rotations - is ED going to contribute? Will we play big with a smaller TD and Haarms together?

Recruiting - will we be in line to actually get some of our top targets? What guys will look at us now that weren’t before?

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Offseason - CE gone? Who makes dramatic steps? How big will Jelly be next year? Who will we bring in to lead our offensive strategy? How will that strategy stay or change based upon losing RC and likely CE?

Rotations - is ED going to contribute? Will we play big with a smaller TD and Haarms together?

Recruiting - will we be in line to actually get some of our top targets? What guys will look at us now that weren’t before?

I think Carsen is gone. Starting lineup:

PG - Nojel, Isaiah
SG - Hunter, Newman
SF - Wheeler, Sasha
PF - Haarms, Evan, Gillis (RS)
C - Williams, Emmanuel

That may not be a final four type starting lineup, but it is extremely long and athletic and everyone in the B1G will dread playing us.

We could really use some depth at the power forward position, especially if Gillis needs to redshirt. Maybe a grad transfer. Do we have 2 scholly's open if Carsen leaves?

I think CE is likely gone. Would obviously love to have him back.

This will be Nojel's team.

The success obviously depends on the improvement of Haarms, Wheeler, Williams, Hunter, Sasha, and Nojel.

Rotation looks like:

Eastern/Hunter/IT
Sasha/Newman/Hunter
Wheeler/Newman
Williams/Wheeler/Gillis
Haarms/Williams/Boudreaux/ED

I think Williams, Haarms, Wheeler will play at the same time often to get the best 5 on the court.

There are some interesting pieces. Would be nice to add another guard like Schefield or a grad transfer for depth if Carsen leaves.

As for 2020, Im done predicting classes, but with the handful of top 150 official visits already, I think it should be a nice class.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I think we're going to see Painter win some battles now. Clearly the best game of the tourney was last night.

I’m thinking this:
G: Nojel
G: Hunter
G: Sasha
F: Wheeler
C/F: Haarms

CMP is going to start with defense and then place a premium on offensive skill sets that are complimentary. The one place I could see a potential flip would be with Sasha if Newman can come in and battle for that guard position that Cline is leaving open. I really liked what I saw from Hunter in the tourney and believe he will have as significant of a jump just from getting extended minutes as we have ever seen. I expect similarly from Wheeler. The lineup above has complimentary offensive skill sets and provides excellent defensiveness as well.

Bench:
Williams
Newman
IT
Gillis
Dow

I’m not including EB just because I personally think he will transfer out or possibly walk away. I’m sure CMp would love to have him (as would I) as a veteran voice and being able to bring him off the bench (a luxury to have a proven type of player).

I also think there is a good chance CMP finds a G or F as a grad transfer to come in and play immediately. There will be ample opportunities and what Carsen did in the tourney will turn some heads.

can painter pull a rabbit out of his hat a second year? this year's results were nothing short of an amazing miracle. like this year, next season will bring many question marks.

I’m thinking this:
G: Nojel
G: Hunter
G: Sasha
F: Wheeler
C/F: Haarms

CMP is going to start with defense and then place a premium on offensive skill sets that are complimentary. The one place I could see a potential flip would be with Sasha if Newman can come in and battle for that guard position that Cline is leaving open. I really liked what I saw from Hunter in the tourney and believe he will have as significant of a jump just from getting extended minutes as we have ever seen. I expect similarly from Wheeler. The lineup above has complimentary offensive skill sets and provides excellent defensiveness as well.

Bench:
Williams
Newman
IT
Gillis
Dow

I’m not including EB just because I personally think he will transfer out or possibly walk away. I’m sure CMp would love to have him (as would I) as a veteran voice and being able to bring him off the bench (a luxury to have a proven type of player).

I also think there is a good chance CMP finds a G or F as a grad transfer to come in and play immediately. There will be ample opportunities and what Carsen did in the tourney will turn some heads.
I think we could see Hunter making the biggest jump next year if he gains some confidence in his shot and bulks up like Carsen did. He’s probably the closest thing we have to Carsen on this team. He was a pure scorer in HS, which is what threw me back a little this year when he struggled shooting so much. I though he was really good last night and the entire tourney.

I think CE is likely gone. Would obviously love to have him back.

This will be Nojel's team.

The success obviously depends on the improvement of Haarms, Wheeler, Williams, Hunter, Sasha, and Nojel.

Rotation looks like:

Eastern/Hunter/IT
Sasha/Newman/Hunter
Wheeler/Newman
Williams/Wheeler/Gillis
Haarms/Williams/Boudreaux/ED

I think Williams, Haarms, Wheeler will play at the same time often to get the best 5 on the court.

There are some interesting pieces. Would be nice to add another guard like Schefield or a grad transfer for depth if Carsen leaves.

As for 2020, Im done predicting classes, but with the handful of top 150 official visits already, I think it should be a nice class.
I think you’re right. Next year it’s Nojel’s team and his year to step up if he really wants to be an NBA player.

I think Carsen is gone. Starting lineup:

PG - Nojel, Isaiah
SG - Hunter, Newman
SF - Wheeler, Sasha
PF - Haarms, Evan, Gillis (RS)
C - Williams, Emmanuel

That may not be a final four type starting lineup, but it is extremely long and athletic and everyone in the B1G will dread playing us.

We could really use some depth at the power forward position, especially if Gillis needs to redshirt. Maybe a grad transfer. Do we have 2 scholly's open if Carsen leaves?
I dont think there is enough shooting in that lineup. Wheeler is the only one to show any sort of consistent range in that group.

My lineup would be:

Nojel/IT
Newman/Hunter
Sasha
Wheeler
Haarms/Trevion/Dow/EB

Good to see Hunter Dickinson make a comment last night. Lots of potential recruits watching last night. This could be like the Cubs when they started to get things rolling and players wanted to be a part of the team and be the ones to push them to the championship for their loyal and avid fanbase.

It will be easier to go in state now and have a good story to sell. Arch honeymoon has worn off. HS kids were not around when IU went to the Final 4 in 2002. The stability at Purdue will pay off eventually. We have shown that bigs and Steph Curry shooter types can thrive in the system. We will get both clicking together at a high level maybe with the current roster in the next couple of years. People thought we would drop off after Big Dog left and we won the next 2 Big 10 championships. This experience will continue to push the current players to excellence.

It's been a great run and the future looks brighter to me than it did last year at this time. I'm thankful that we also have a bright football future to fill the off season better than a few years ago.

With the current roster & assuming Carsen goes pro...

Jelly is a given at PG. The question I have is can Hunter, Sasha, Newman, and IT combine to backup the 1 as well as cover the 2/3 slots?

I can imagine the team being effective with Wheeler/Tre/Haarms manning the 4 & 5 like Vince/Biggie/Haas did a couple of years ago. Wheeler gets his minutes at the 4, Tre/Haarms split the mins at the 5 & play together when Wheeler is on the bench. Manny/EB would get spot minutes filling in the cracks when needed...and maybe more time if you need to play Wheeler some mins at the 3 (or Mason takes those mins if he's ready).

Definitely some unknowns right now. Given the way the program has been able to answer these same kind of questions the last few seasons, it's fun to speculate about who is going to step up rather than be worried it can't be done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT