ADVERTISEMENT

October 24

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
Not going to rush off to the bank on this, but an October 24 B1G return is being lined up. 8 games in 8 weeks.

Not going to rush off to the bank on this, but an October 24 B1G return is being lined up. 8 games in 8 weeks.

Assuming the previously announced 8-game schedule still applies, this implies a 6-7 week delay. Better dress warm for the Minneapolis game Nov 28. Any chance to move it inside?

I don't remember an 8-game schedule before. It was 9, then 10 after wiping out the non-conference games. Maybe I missed it in this F-ed up timeline.

they’ve bungled this so badly.

initially their schedule had a lot of bye weeks built in for flexibility, which I thought was a good idea. Now they have almost none....

The thought is daily rapid testing should mitigate mass outbreaks on a team that leads to postponed games. Keep in mind other conferences are using PCR tests that require going off to a lab still, not rapid tests - and less than every other day.

What about other fall sports??

The NCAA has postponed fall sports championships (the NCAA doesn't control football).

I know like ACC soccer is still playing in the fall, but the Big East is postponed til spring. I'm not sure the point of playing a fall season when the championship is in the spring...but I'm not well versed in the logic behind it.

The Big Ten said it's going to announce policies for fall sports/winter sports soon.

The NCAA has postponed fall sports championships (the NCAA doesn't control football).

I know like ACC soccer is still playing in the fall, but the Big East is postponed til spring. I'm not sure the point of playing a fall season when the championship is in the spring...but I'm not well versed in the logic behind it.

The Big Ten said it's going to announce policies for fall sports/winter sports soon.

For some reason you seem to be falling on your sword to defend the Big Ten's debacle. Not sure why...

The thought is daily rapid testing should mitigate mass outbreaks on a team that leads to postponed games. Keep in mind other conferences are using PCR tests that require going off to a lab still, not rapid tests - and less than every other day.

if they would have been transparent from the beginning, maybe they wouldn’t have lost the most exciting players.

so is it OK to assume that Purdue will play everybody in west, Iu, and 2 other East teams? It doesn’t seems similar to how the schedules were set up a few years ago.

Reactions: purduepat1969
if they would have been transparent from the beginning, maybe they wouldn’t have lost the most exciting players.

so is it OK to assume that Purdue will play everybody in west, Iu, and 2 other East teams? It doesn’t seems similar to how the schedules were set up a few years ago.
I'm guessing we'rehome for the first 4 games against Penn State, Iowa, NW, and Indiana then g on the road in late Nov/Dec to O$U, UM, Minny and Nebraska. Makes as much sense as anything about this whole mess.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Apparently now it's 8+1 games. Schedules coming later this week.

The +1 is matching up 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc, East vs West. So you might end up playing the same team twice.

Reactions: Boilermaker24

Should be everybody in the west, IU, and 1 other east team = 8 games

Should be everybody in the west, IU, and 1 other east team = 8 games
Should give Purdue their game against Rutgers...but likely Purdue gets OSU because.....the B1G always seems to like to find ways to mess with Purdue. Maryland, Rutgers, or MSU gives Purdue the best chance at 2 cross-divisional wins and stacking a season full of W's up to build momentum into the 2022 and 2023 classes.

The SEC lost a lot of their best players....

With no fans allowed anyway, Purdue needs to look into playing some home games at Lucas Oil. Wiping out the good weather games in September and early October when the grass is still growing and replacing them with games after Thanksgiving is not conducive our our offense or player safety in general.

Should give Purdue their game against Rutgers...but likely Purdue gets OSU because.....the B1G always seems to like to find ways to mess with Purdue. Maryland, Rutgers, or MSU gives Purdue the best chance at 2 cross-divisional wins and stacking a season full of W's up to build momentum into the 2022 and 2023 classes.
If they give us OSU, we need Rondale to play one final game for us then.

Apparently now it's 8+1 games. Schedules coming later this week.

The +1 is matching up 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc, East vs West. So you might end up playing the same team twice.
That is the dumbest thing I've heard today (and that's saying something!). With all the possible cross-divisional matchups available they are going to have some teams playing each other twice. I hope they get smart enough to make exceptions. For example, if the 3's already played and the 4's already played, then swap it so 3 plays 4.

Yeah I'm guessing that will get worked in. Dienhart replied to a Jerry Palm facebook post about that.

Published Aug 5 by the Big10

8/5/2020 8:45:00 AM
Big Ten Announces Plans for 2020 Football Season, Medical Protocols for All Sports

ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Big Ten Conference announced today that the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) has approved plans for the 2020 football season, including a 10-game Conference-only schedule beginning as early as the weekend of September 5.
----------------
My guess in the end is that we will go back to the original 9-game schedule and chop off a cross-division game. Our original cross games I believe were Michigan and Rutgers along with IU.

Reactions: WMichBoiler
With no fans allowed anyway, Purdue needs to look into playing some home games at Lucas Oil. Wiping out the good weather games in September and early October when the grass is still growing and replacing them with games after Thanksgiving is not conducive our our offense or player safety in general.

I mean, playing 4 home games from the second half of October through November is not necessarily something that couldn't happen in a regular season - plus there's no "wear" on the grass until then.

Last year, Purdue had 3 home games from Oct. 26 - Nov 30.

Not ideal, but not sure it's dire.

For some reason you seem to be falling on your sword to defend the Big Ten's debacle. Not sure why...

Heaven forbid I answer questions with what is actually happening vs. conspiracy theories and political nonsense!

I was responding to someone asking about other fall sports that the NCAA championships for those have been postponed already.

And another person wondering why there weren't bye weeks - with the explanation of daily rapid tests should mitigate the need to delay games as they should help prevent larger outbreaks amongst teams that we've seen in other conferences that have postponed games.

If you want to actually have a conversation vs. point fingers and blame, let me know!

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Heaven forbid I answer questions with what is actually happening vs. conspiracy theories and political nonsense!

I was responding to someone asking about other fall sports that the NCAA championships for those have been postponed already.

And another person wondering why there weren't bye weeks - with the explanation of daily rapid tests should mitigate the need to delay games as they should help prevent larger outbreaks amongst teams that we've seen in other conferences that have postponed games.

If you want to actually have a conversation vs. point fingers and blame, let me know!

You're spouting nonsense about the Big Ten communicating effectively. They have not.

I mean, playing 4 home games from the second half of October through November is not necessarily something that couldn't happen in a regular season - plus there's no "wear" on the grass until then.

Last year, Purdue had 3 home games from Oct. 26 - Nov 30.

Not ideal, but not sure it's dire.
They will be playing into mid December. On Bermuda grass. The stuff was coming up in chunks at the bucket game last year.

Was it a Debacle?

Plenty of cancellations already.

Our scheduled first opponent

Not like it’s been a roaring success.

I couldn't give a fat rat's @ss about "the above conferences", nor should anyone else... unless we're twisting into a pretzel to excuse the ineptitude of the B1G.

Let's stay on topic.

Unless, of course, there's a reason to deflect.
Right. I guess what I mean to say, is that you don’t matter in the eyes of BIG leadership.

Last edited:
Was it a Debacle?

Plenty of cancellations already.

Our scheduled first opponent

Not like it’s been a roaring success.
What I called a debacle was the lack of communication by the B1G commissioner, not the decision to postpone. And yes, there will be games missed along the way. This season is going to be less than perfect. But it's better than no season.

Reactions: Purdue85
Purdue at Nebraska to kickoff 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣0️⃣
Iowa at Minnesota on Friday night❓

One of the original cross-over games will be tossed to give 4 home and 4 away some in media have speculated.

Purdue at Nebraska to kickoff 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣0️⃣
Iowa at Minnesota on Friday night❓

One of the original cross-over games will be tossed to give 4 home and 4 away some in media have speculated.
Can't remember if it was Alvarez but somebody said it would be based on the original B1G schedule so that does seem like the logical conclusion, dropping one of the crossovers. The only thing they cleared up is they will try to avoid repeat matchups on that final weekend excluding the championship game. So the 1v1, 2v2, etc is the loose plan but likely ends up differently.

Can't remember if it was Alvarez but somebody said it would be based on the original B1G schedule so that does seem like the logical conclusion, dropping one of the crossovers. The only thing they cleared up is they will try to avoid repeat matchups on that final weekend excluding the championship game. So the 1v1, 2v2, etc is the loose plan but likely ends up differently.
If you read the article on G&B, Bobinski mentioned it would be based on the original schedule with 2 crossover games, one being Indiana. If they go by the original schedule, Michigan or Rutgers would be the other crossover. Let's hope it's Rutgers.

Reactions: WMichBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT