ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue recruiting now what?

Brian_GoldandBlack.com

Jun 18, 2003
West Lafayette, Ind.
There's still room for Maliq Carr and Bryce Austin, yes. My guess is Christian Gonzalez's commitment was one they're overbooking the inn, so to speak, for. Couldn't pass that up after whatever happened happened that he wound up with Purdue. Obviously that came from out of nowhere, at least to me.

A quick thought on all this: This is why coaches don't stop recruiting players. I get asked all the time when a player looks like a long shot for Purdue, 'Why are they wasting their time?' Well, Purdue wasn't part of this player's final five a short time ago, and wasn't even on the public radar for another four-star recruit, Steven Faucheux, a year ago at this time, before Aug. 1's official offer deadline came and went and the kid realized a lot of the biggest names recruiting him wanted him as an offensive lineman.

I have no idea how this went down with Gonzalez, other than the fact that obviously Purdue has an enormous in with him in David Blough. But nowadays, August is very different, because lots of classes are already full, so it's going to become Surprise Month in college football recruiting.

This is another big-time secondary class now for Purdue, it would appear, and speaks to this staff's ability to get high-end players outside their program's normal strength-of-reputation areas (i.e. wide receiver).

For Purdue to get a 6-1 cornerback who was good enough to have Alabama and Notre Dame offers is just an extraordinary development, especially when it comes on the heels of it signing some of the most physically gifted safety recruits the program has probably ever seen last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News