ADVERTISEMENT

Now that we know the fate of DH2 Who would you go after?

**** defense with a rusty knife. Very few nonblue bloods get started by doing hard nose defense. Nonblue bloods become relevant by scoring points. Points on the board put butts in the seats. You know why les miles was fired? His offense sucked big donkey balls. You know why tiller was successful at purdue because he put points on the board even against the big boys. Once he stopped doing that he stopped winning.

We are in a shithole of a talent situation. Indiana is historical crap. We have multiple good to great schools (MSU, UM, ND, OSU, Lville, etc, etc) with in 200 miles of us. No matter how you look at it we will most certainly get the leftovers of the midwest. You know what purdue can still sell, It somehow still sells quaterbacks. Idk how we get these kids to keep coming but for some reason they love the idea of bringing the cradle back.

Face it people Purdue on average is a mediocre football school. We aren't in a desirable location. We aren't the IT school in the state. Danny Hopes failure wasn't that he only won 6 games, its that he did it in the most boring way possible. Getting roflstomped by the big boys and beating up on the shit schools. The only way we are going to beat the big boys is playing by our own rules.

I think most rationale Purdue fans understand the limitations and history concerning Purdue football and its geographic location. However, that doesn't mean Purdue can't field a football program that gets to a bowl game and is truly competitive every week.

I like Larry Fedora at UNC but there is no reason for him to come to Purdue. Could have had him a few years ago.

I say go get Mike Leach from exile at Washington State. He'll never win a national title at Purdue but we'll win 6-9 games per year and light it up in the process.

Reactions: Drew_Dat and pu1985
maxresdefault.jpg
Just a hunch.

I do think that if DH2 is fired this year, it will be within the season. Not at the end of the season.

Not firing him now reminds me of this:

I agree with the defensive mindset. I know most on here want high octane offenses, but I just want wins. I think focusing on hard nosed d is a quicker way to those wins.
IMO it doesn't make a difference what style of coach comes in next whether he is a defensive or offensive genius. What he needs to be is a recruiting genius and be able to build relationships within the H.S coaches in-state and recruit his ass off everywhere else.

Fleck, Oregeron if he doesn't get the LSU job, Miles, Applewhite and lastly Briles unless someone better gets fired at the end of the year!

I like Larry Fedora at UNC but there is no reason for him to come to Purdue. Could have had him a few years ago.

I say go get Mike Leach from exile at Washington State. He'll never win a national title at Purdue but we'll win 6-9 games per year and light it up in the process.

I don't think Leach leaves WSU for Purdue. Purdue is a slight step up but at this point not much of one. Maybe if Purdue offers him a lot more money than WSU but I don't think he would see Purdue as such a better situation to pull up stakes and make the move from the west coast to the midwest. I think he waits for something bigger or stays put.

I really have a hard time seeing any P5 head coach leaving his program for Purdue right now. I think Purdue ether gets a non-P5 HC, a P5 OC/DC or a fired P5 HC.

Notre Dame's new DC? He was Purdue's DC last year so he should
be able to find his way to the stadium without using a GPS

I am going straight wildcard. We Call up Jim Bob Cooter, OC Detroit Lions.

I'm not sure. This is only his 2nd season as OC. Hard to say what impact, if any, he had as an assistant at any of his spots. I'm not ruling him out - and I like the thought of looking in different directions, but I think I'd rather direct attention at guys that have built a longer resume of direct success.

My list of candidates in no particular order.

PJ Fleck- HC Western Michigan.
Jeremy Pruit- DC Alabama, probably a long shot.
Jeff Brohm- HC western KY.
Major Applewhite- OC Houston

I don't think we will go after a name like Miles, or Briles. Not saying we shouldn't but don't think we will. There are going to be a lot of high profile jobs open this off season. You're looking at LSU, possibly USC and Texas, among others, there will be a lot of competition for a head coach. Whomever we hire, I hope to God they can fix this mess.

Reactions: BeerbellyBoiler
I would really prefer not to go after Les Miles.
Nothing against him - he may be great.
But the parallels to the Fred Akers experiment are too exact for me (highly successful southern coach on the downside of his career). That was the worst era in PU football I can recall in my history with the program.
Just my two cents.

Reactions: EastCoastBoiler
Fleck, Oregeron if he doesn't get the LSU job, Miles, Applewhite and lastly Briles unless someone better gets fired at the end of the year!

It's a "no" for Orgeron. He was 10-25 as head coach at Mississippi. He is a career assistant...that's it.

And "no" to Jim Bob Cooter. Jim Bob Cooter has the same amount of recruiting experience as Jim Bob Duggar...which is zero.

I would really prefer not to go after Les Miles.
Nothing against him - he may be great.
But the parallels to the Fred Akers experiment are too exact for me (highly successful southern coach on the downside of his career). That was the worst era in PU football I can recall in my history with the program.
Just my two cents.
Idk, at least Fred beat IU...

Reactions: pu1985
I just don't understand the anti-Miles sentiment. When have we ever, ever had a chance to hire a football coach that has been national coach of the year, won a national championship, and has had over ten top 5 recruiting classes. One year ago at this time, LSU was ranked #5 in the country (for those who argue he is washed up). Miles is one of the great coaches in SEC history and would likely have had multiple national championships if he didn't have the misfortune of coaching against Saban for a majority of his time at LSU. And he turned around an Ok State program that was horrible. A Purdue fan not wanting Miles is kind of like the garbage man refusing a date with Cindy Crawford because she is 50.

I just can't fathom how some people here would rather hire a coach that plasters "row the boat" on every sign and t-shirt he can get his hands on. Maybe Fleck will be great, but the great ones usually don't do things like that. Its kind of amateurish.

Reactions: DG10
I just don't understand the anti-Miles sentiment. When have we ever, ever had a chance to hire a football coach that has been national coach of the year, won a national championship, and has had over ten top 5 recruiting classes. One year ago at this time, LSU was ranked #5 in the country (for those who argue he is washed up). Miles is one of the great coaches in SEC history and would likely have had multiple national championships if he didn't have the misfortune of coaching against Saban for a majority of his time at LSU. And he turned around an Ok State program that was horrible. A Purdue fan not wanting Miles is kind of like the garbage man refusing a date with Cindy Crawford because she is 50.

I just can't fathom how some people here would rather hire a coach that plasters "row the boat" on every sign and t-shirt he can get his hands on. Maybe Fleck will be great, but the great ones usually don't do things like that. Its kind of amateurish.
Never mind that Fleck is going to have far better options than Purdue, and, given the present state of the program and what lies ahead for whoever comes in, it is too big of a risk for a guy like him almost to take a chance on that opening, particularly with the lack of support and concern from the President/BoT.

E

ESPN has reported that Purdue is one of the five schools that Miles would not coach football at!

E

ESPN has reported that Purdue is one of the five schools that Miles would not coach football at!
At least Purdue made a top 5 list for something and somebody.

That said, I would guess that there are any number of prospective coaches for which the same thing could/would be said.

I think most rationale Purdue fans understand the limitations and history concerning Purdue football and its geographic location. However, that doesn't mean Purdue can't field a football program that gets to a bowl game and is truly competitive every week.

Baloney. Location has nothing to do with it.

Reactions: EastCoastBoiler
I'd love to see Lane Kiffin in the mix.
Pay him a shot ton of money and give him the resources to turn the program around.
Be bold!!

Purdue needs to go a route similar as Maryland's.

1. Going after the next big mid-level coach is risky and you often pay more because of hype/competition. We currently have one of those hyped mid-level coaches as our head coach, FYI and we were in the middle of the pack vying for various ones a few years ago. It's a tough competition.

2. Going after a fired head coach is not necessarily a bad thing, but there's also a reality check. A lot of fired coaches wait for the right opportunity - let's face it, they make plenty of money and also get severance from their contracts, so they aren't hurting to get back into a job they aren't that excited about.

3. Maryland tried to go after some big boys, failed - and settled on a well-respected assistant coach among his peers. He didn't really have a lot of hype, but was able to put together a very solid group of assistant coaches because he had so much respect within the industry.

As one other has mentioned in this thread, we need someone who understands how to build a program. Hope/Hazell were not those people. While PJ Fleck is a bit over the top and has been hyped up primarily because of that, he does understand what's needed to build a program. Granted, his results have held him back a bit and his age/experience probably has to do with that, but he understands what needs to be done. My concern with someone like him is the staff he surrounds himself with.

One interesting situation - which is probably a bit still unripened is Dave Aranda. He's currently LSU's defensive coordinator, but was at Wisconsin prior to that as their DC. He obviously does a fantastic job coaching. But the one drawback is this is literally his first season at LSU - so he's coaching players he didn't really recruit (although coaching very well). However, he was successful at Wisconsin and their defense improved each of his years. As mentioned, he's probably 1-2 years away from that kind of consideration.

one major advantage when Tiller was hired: he brought virtually his entire staff with him and they hit the ground running.
That would mean targeting a current head coach.
I know that was one of the whistles going off in my head when Haze showed up - he spent forever putting together a staff - of mostly misfit toys.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
one major advantage when Tiller was hired: he brought virtually his entire staff with him and they hit the ground running.
I know that was one of the whistles going off in my head when Haze showed up - he spent forever putting together a staff - of mostly misfit toys.

Look at Maryland too - you don't have to necessarily have someone who brings their entire staff.

Maryland's coach has a great network of colleagues and brought in some top-shelf assistants.

Football programs are heavily built upon an entire staff, not just a head coach. A head coach is actually more of a "direction" than integral in the day-to-day operations and coaching. It's not like basketball where there's a lot more hands-on opportunity.

I might be mistaken but I thought it was because he was directed not to bring over his entire staff as is.

I might be mistaken but I thought it was because he was directed not to bring over his entire staff as is.
I'd keep an eye on how Mike Gundy's team finishes this season, and if he gets canned, go after him, well be lucky to get Fleck though.

Hilary-Duff-Body-Measurements.jpg

Butch Jones? Uh, no.
Just a thought...I think Butch will be looking for a job soon if Tenn isn't in the final 4. Besides, I have my doubts that DH2 will be fired. This season is played 1 game at a time, and as of right now Purdue is 3-2. The season is not over. If DH2 is indeed fired, and if our AD wants to go all out to turn it around immediately...then Kevin Sumlin is the man. It is best to have a Purdue man coaching Purdue.

Just a thought...I think Butch will be looking for a job soon if Tenn isn't in the final 4. Besides, I have my doubts that DH2 will be fired. This season is played 1 game at a time, and as of right now Purdue is 3-2. The season is not over. If DH2 is indeed fired, and if our AD wants to go all out to turn it around immediately...then Kevin Sumlin is the man. It is best to have a Purdue man coaching Purdue.
This post pretty much puts Purdue football in perspective. TN may fire a coach because they don't make the championship 4 and Purdue may well keep the worst coach in their history.

I would still like to see us go after Mike Leach at Wash State.
They blew out Stanford yesterday. Just 3-2 so far but looking much better.
It surely cannot be harder to recruit and win in Pullman WA that West Laffy can it?

Leach is now at 2.95m/yr and signed an extension to 2020
Think mb2 could pull it off?
Might earn AD of the year for that

Leach is now at 2.95m/yr and signed an extension to 2020
Think mb2 could pull it off?
Might earn AD of the year for that
Offer him like money - surely West Laffy is at least as appealing as Pullman WA!

I know his offense is far from what's expected at Purdue, but what about the Navy coach? He obviously is a great coach and was entertaining the BYU offer last year.
Only reason he was entertaining the BYU offer was cause he's Mormon. Plus he's been on the Navy staff, in some capacity, for almost 20 years, why would he leave?

Lots of dumb in just one post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT