ADVERTISEMENT

Not much hype at all about this 2016-17 PU Women's BB team? How awful will they be?

PurdueTim16

True Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2015
One obscure site has them listed as the #30 overall team in the country. What can we expect from this team. No GBI articles at all about this team, and what we should expect? Dismal, dismal coverage.

Does this team make it to the NCAA tourney? Are they a threat at all this season?

Doesn't inspire much hope. People that I'm close to have been going to women's games for decades and have given up on their season tickets this season. They just don't see any excitement at all surrounding this program any more.

And now Sharon is recruiting Canadian players because she can't close any in-state players or other top recruits?

#WOW

And Purdue just gave SRV another extension.

#GoodLord

Some background noise I get through back channels indicates that these Canadian players might be very good. Too soon to tell. We will need to wait for them to get on campus and start practicing before we can really assess.

Reactions: PurdueTim16
Some background noise I get through back channels indicates that these Canadian players might be very good. Too soon to tell. We will need to wait for them to get on campus and start practicing before we can really assess.
That's more analysis than we've gotten from GBI. Thanks for sharing!

I will give you my take.

I think we could be pretty good depending on the point guard position. We return 3 players who each started 30+ games for us last season in Morrissette, Perry, and Keys. McBryde seemed to come into her own late last season so I think we can expect her to be a factor from the first game this season. Harris who was originally in the 2016 recruiting class was the #20 ranked player in that class so maybe she will have an impact.

The question will be how can we replace April Wilson and her 36 mpg last season at PG. One player won't be able to pick up all of that slack. I don't think Murphy can jump in right where Wilson left off. They need her to just worry about making smart decisions with the basketball. If she can take care of the ball and get this team into its offense then hopefully the points that Wilson left can just be absorbed by everyone on the team.

As for recruiting, there is still one big name on the board for next season and that is Sidney Cooks. She's ranked #5 in the class from what I can tell and she visited us on homecoming weekend I think.

TC4Three: Good analysis. If we can forget about the national aspirations which are about 15 years old now, maybe we can enjoy the season. :) Not much fun to live in the past. Would be great to get Cooks but doubtful and have no idea how good or bad this current recruiting class is. Reality: Can Purdue legitimately vie for a top 5 spot in the BT and make some noise in the BTT and go to a tourney? If you asked the same question of the men, no one would want to jump off a cliff. As long as Versyp is held to a standard higher than only a few coaches in the country, then she will inevitably fail badly. Again, unless we pay big bucks to get one of the top coaches here, assuming they would even come, we are going to have to live with what most fans do without all the angst and some would love to be in our position.

Reactions: usmc01 and DocRon
Let us not forget that our WBB team has faced the same challenges as the men's team with regard to facilities and recruiting budgets. Both saw recruiting failures and both saw the result of those failures in finishing last in the BIG.

I think both Versyp and Painter have something to prove yet, but until we are able to level the playing field, I am withholding my judgement. Yes, it is better now than it was under the previous administration, but we still have a ways to go.

:cool:

One obscure site has them listed as the #30 overall team in the country. What can we expect from this team. No GBI articles at all about this team, and what we should expect? Dismal, dismal coverage.

Does this team make it to the NCAA tourney? Are they a threat at all this season?

Doesn't inspire much hope. People that I'm close to have been going to women's games for decades and have given up on their season tickets this season. They just don't see any excitement at all surrounding this program any more.

And now Sharon is recruiting Canadian players because she can't close any in-state players or other top recruits?

#WOW

#GoodLord

#WOW

#GoodLord
Geno and Muffet did very well recruiting in Canada. Is there a reason why you think players from Canada can't be outstanding???

Reactions: mathboy
Geno and Muffet did very well recruiting in Canada. Is there a reason why you think players from Canada can't be outstanding???
never said that, but we have no way to judge how good they are, and I don't see Geno and Muffet going to Canada very often to get recruits.

Maine recruits Europe heavily....you'll get to know our freshmen from Spain (3), Croatia (2), and Sweden next Friday! Anyone flying out to Bangor to see this tourney? It's probably one of the better (best?) 4 team tourneys in the country this season with a highly ranked Mississippi State squad, always tough Villanova, Purdue and host Maine....a program that has flourished under Richard Barron. They expect a great crowd for the opener with Purdue......Friday is Veterans Day so a lot of people and kids will have the day off. I'm thinking the crowd will be around 4K.

Interesting that our exhibition game Sunday is against a div ll team that was 25-4 last year and return all 5 starters. Could be more of a test than you would think. To me that's better than playing someone who is hoping not to lose by 60 points.

Reactions: TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT