ADVERTISEMENT

non-conference schedule finalized

nagemj02

All-American
Mar 16, 2010
Elliot Bloom told me that Purdue has to play "x" amount of home games in the non-conference every season in order to stay within the program's budget. Hence, there are a few sub-175/200 teams on it yet again. Aren't there different ways to increase the program's budget?:

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-non-conference-schedule-finalized

Wednesday, 11/1/17: (Exhibition) vs. Carroll College (Carson Cunningham still the HC?)

"Secret Scrimmage" (opponent TBD) played sometime between 11/4-11/8/17

Friday, 11/10/17: vs. SIU-Edwardsville

Sunday, 11/12/17: vs. Chicago State

Tuesday, 11/14/17: at Marquette (Gavitt Games)

Saturday, 11/18/17: vs. Fairfield

Wed./Thu./Fri., 11/22-11/24/17: (neutral site: Bahamas) Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament (8-team bracket is still TBD) (possible opponents: Arizona, Villanova, SMU, Tennessee, Western Kentucky, North Carolina State, and Northern Iowa)

Monday, 11/27/17: vs. Louisville (B1G/ACC Challenge)

Thursday, 12/7/17: vs. Valparaiso

Sunday, 12/10/17: vs. IUPUI

Saturday, 12/16/17: (neutral site: Bankers Life Fieldhouse) vs. Butler (Crossroads Classic)

Thursday, 12/21/17: vs. Tennessee State

Saturday, 12/30/17: vs. Lipscomb

There will be two conference games played in the timeframe of late November/early December.

Last edited:
Not exactly a budget building schedule. ONE significant game. Pretty disappointing for Mackey fans and this hyped team.

More than any other game, I want to win the Butler game. Butler is a good team. We have better talent. But we almost always find a way to lose that game. We need to make a statement that we are #1 in Indiana !

Reactions: punaj
Not exactly a budget building schedule. ONE significant game. Pretty disappointing for Mackey fans and this hyped team.

I'd say there's more than one (at Marquette, the potential for a matchup against either Arizona or Villanova in the B4A, Louisville, and Butler are all quality non-con matchups).

I understand your disappointment (I feel the same, especially for the B1G/ACC: Purdue gets the shaft every year when it comes to playing the best ACC team) but what I first mentioned in the OP is pretty much word-for-word what he told me. Needing all of those home games against typically overmatched opponents basically every year is probably a long-term effect of the overall fanbase not traveling particularly well (road and neutral games) compared to other similarly-sized fanbases. Also, it's probably a reflection of the lack of overall revenue generated from football and all of the other "non-revenue" sports.

Last edited:
I'd say there's more than one (at Marquette, the potential for a matchup against either Arizona or Villanova in the B4A, Louisville, and Butler are all quality non-con matchups).

I understand your disappointment (I feel the same, especially for the B1G/ACC: Purdue gets the shaft every year when it comes to playing the best ACC team) but what I first mentioned in the OP is pretty much word-for-word what he told me. Needing all of those home games against typically overmatched opponents basically every year is probably a long-term effect of the overall fanbase not traveling particularly well (road and neutral games) compared to other similarly-sized fanbases. Also, it's probably a reflection of the lack of overall revenue generated from football and all of the other "non-revenue" sports.
I'm talking home games

Reactions: nagemj02

It makes sense.

I also see enough quality opponents to build a strong resume. The main seeding problem that Purdue has had in the past couple seasons is that the Big Ten conference, as a whole, has struggled and Purdue's success in the conference has been discounted. It is possible to earn a great seed with Purdue's non-confence schedule if the Big Ten gets back to its typical level of pre-conference season success.

Elliot Bloom told me that Purdue has to play "x" amount of home games in the non-conference every season in order to stay within the program's budget. Hence, there are a few sub-175/200 teams on it yet again. Aren't there different ways to increase the program's budget?:

You could always offer to endow a road game. 13,000 seats at an average price of $20 is only $260K per year. You have that laying around, right?

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I'm not saying the schedule as a whole is terrible, but I'm with Paintball on the home part of the schedule, it's not good at all. Just got my e-mail last week looking for season ticket request. When looking at this it makes it a tough call for me. UL is the only game that I'm wanting to see. I know the challenges of putting together a schedule, but man there just isn't much there. Basically you're buying a season ticket just to get the B1G games.

I'm not sure how you can be disappointed. Most teams only get one or two marquee matchups at home. We have a chance to play 3 top 10 teams in the first 10 games and one being at home thats a very solid schedule. Lipscomb and Valpo are both respectable teams as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT