ADVERTISEMENT

nice article on Cline

Glad to hear that. If he can evolve into the complete player that Matthias did his senior year, I'll be very please.

If nothing else I think we all agree he needs to take more shots. 40% from 3 is great, but when you are only taking 2-3 shots in 20 min of game time it isn't enough. Perhaps it was enough last year with our great senior class (though I'd argue in some cases, when those guys went cold, it wasn't), but this year it won't be.

Glad to hear that. If he can evolve into the complete player that Matthias did his senior year, I'll be very please.

If nothing else I think we all agree he needs to take more shots. 40% from 3 is great, but when you are only taking 2-3 shots in 20 min of game time it isn't enough. Perhaps it was enough last year with our great senior class (though I'd argue in some cases, when those guys went cold, it wasn't), but this year it won't be.

If the scrimmage was any indicator, he'll be more aggressive offensively than Mathias was last season. He and Carsen will put up some big numbers this year.

Reactions: depthcharge623
Happy for Cline. Its his time now and for some that is just the way it works out. I liked the stat of his shooting percentage going up as his Min increased.I had a feeling that if he could get more shots up they would start going in in bunches. I think we see that this year.

I had to tell several family members, that Cline would have had more opportunity to show what he could do if he would of played more minutes. His minutes were very limited and if he did get going, he would be taken out. He will have his chance to shine this yr.!

I had to tell several family members, that Cline would have had more opportunity to show what he could do if he would of played more minutes. His minutes were very limited and if he did get going, he would be taken out. He will have his chance to shine this yr.!
Correct more opportunities more production. That goes for Nojel and Haarms more min more results. Each will play to their strengths put it all together could be scary how this team could be by big 10 play. Got a mixture of shooters ,post players ball handlers guys that can get to the basket on a regular and not just Carmen. This team being overlooked bcuz of the departure of some incredible seniors I understand the concerns were will the scoring come from besides carsen. It will come outside in with transition ,post feeds ,attacking basket more you have multiple players who can create off the dribble and still have an abundance of shooters so points can come from a lot of different ways with the pieces this team have and will cause a lot of matchup problems for some teams. I’m ready for some basketball gonna be a fun fun ride watching this team battle.

Correct more opportunities more production. That goes for Nojel and Haarms more min more results. Each will play to their strengths put it all together could be scary how this team could be by big 10 play. Got a mixture of shooters ,post players ball handlers guys that can get to the basket on a regular and not just Carmen. This team being overlooked bcuz of the departure of some incredible seniors I understand the concerns were will the scoring come from besides carsen. It will come outside in with transition ,post feeds ,attacking basket more you have multiple players who can create off the dribble and still have an abundance of shooters so points can come from a lot of different ways with the pieces this team have and will cause a lot of matchup problems for some teams. I’m ready for some basketball gonna be a fun fun ride watching this team battle.
When you look at last year as per 40 minute stats:
Matt Haarms: 11.2 pts 7.4 rbs 5.0 blks
Nojel Eastern: 9.2 pts 8.0 rbs 3.3 ast
Ryan Cline (Fr-Jr): 10.1 pts 3.6 ast 3.8 rbs .398 3%

When looking at per 100 possessions:
Matt Haarms: 16.4 pts 10.9 rbs 7.3 blks
Nojel Eastern: 13.4 pts 11.7 rbs 4.9 ast
Ryan Cline (Fr-Jr): 14.7 pts 5.2 ast 5.5 rbs .398 3%

If you are going to look at the 'more opportunities = more production' argument, you need to look at the per 40 minute and per 100 possession projections. That tells a better story for three guys who, up to this point, have had limited chances on the hardwood. I'm not going to say each of these guys will come anywhere remotely close to these averages but I believe all three will be some what close to the per 40 minutes scoring average this coming season with a potential bump in Cline and Haarms' scoring.

Furthermore you absolutely have no idea what these guys will do stop living in the past watch the future than well no what each of these players per 40 min will do since you like to break stuff down in data which logically means nothing to this point when each of these players min will increase drastically and I can bet my money on it that each will produce per 40 min more points than they did a year ago.
I'm an outsider here, but I think you may have the wrong impression of JDB. Based on what I have seen he is a very loyal and positive Purdue fan. I believe he was using those stats to point out that Nojel, Haarms, and Cline are looking to have a big year.

My point still stands more min more opportunities more production
Correct and that is why he used the 40 min and 100 possession numbers to make projections for the future production. Painter pays a statistician to look at these exact things.

Seriously he says Nojel could expect to average 9-13 points and that is insulting to you?

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
When you look at last year as per 40 minute stats:
Matt Haarms: 11.2 pts 7.4 rbs 5.0 blks
Nojel Eastern: 9.2 pts 8.0 rbs 3.3 ast
Ryan Cline (Fr-Jr): 10.1 pts 3.6 ast 3.8 rbs .398 3%

When looking at per 100 possessions:
Matt Haarms: 16.4 pts 10.9 rbs 7.3 blks
Nojel Eastern: 13.4 pts 11.7 rbs 4.9 ast
Ryan Cline (Fr-Jr): 14.7 pts 5.2 ast 5.5 rbs .398 3%

If you are going to look at the 'more opportunities = more production' argument, you need to look at the per 40 minute and per 100 possession projections. That tells a better story for three guys who, up to this point, have had limited chances on the hardwood. I'm not going to say each of these guys will come anywhere remotely close to these averages but I believe all three will be some what close to the per 40 minutes scoring average this coming season with a potential bump in Cline and Haarms' scoring.
Sir if I read more into it I apologize looked as tho you were not giving these guys a chance considering what there production looked like last season. I guess I don’t use data much I just go off of min and Confidence I no my son was lacking confidence bcuz of many factors and that shows up on that stat sheet too when you not playing as much. If your data is correct that’s a pretty good jump in production hopefully it goes that way and more and each of these guys can help win a lot of games and take Purdue to Minnesota in April. Once again i misread what you were trying to say and I do apologize. Right now let’s win this football game for Tyler I follow him he inspires me saw a glimpse of the short clip of his story and I tell you this kid is strong and he fights and I’m gonna fight with him that one day every type of cancer we have a cure. My son wears his band on his wrist in support of him and his cause. Let’s get that W got the bravest person I no Tyler Trent. Go boilers.

Correct and that is why he used the 40 min and 100 possession numbers to make projections for the future production. Painter pays a statistician to look at these exact things.

Seriously he says Nojel could expect to average 9-13 points and that is insulting to you?
I read it wrong I have since than apologize to that poster it was my lack of knowledge knowing data breakdown. Math wasn’t my best subject so I goofed

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Sir I appreciate you helping me understand what he posted but sure seems to me he’s saying something else how I read it. My point still stands more min more opportunities more production each of them brings something different in their abilities to score have to wait and see how they do as season goes.
OH MY!!! No, I was saying the argument you were having about increased opportunity will lead to increased productivity and numbers can be supported by the per 40 minute and per 100 possession numbers...and its clearly evident for all three when you combine that with what was actually seen during games last season when their chances got more and more frequent (Nojel against PSU...Haarms in the NCAA Tourney).

OH MY!!! No, I was saying the argument you were having about increased opportunity will lead to increased productivity and numbers can be supported by the per 40 minute and per 100 possession numbers...and its clearly evident for all three when you combine that with what was actually seen during games last season when their chances got more and more frequent (Nojel against PSU...Haarms in the NCAA Tourney).
Sir I’m not good a math or data other than what I see written and I made a very Big mistake and really didn’t read what you were trying say. That’s why I could have never gotten into a school like Purdue thank goodness my son got the brains in the family . I sincerely apologize to you and my rudeness truly was a misunderstanding on my part. Carry on with your data

data is just that - data. you can make projections using data, but sometimes there is also a reason behind the data.

in watching many high school basketball games, in a blow out game, when the third team comes in, there is always one of them looking to score as it could be their only chance all season to impress their parents. So you could have a player playing 30 seconds, getting a rebound , committing 2 fouls and scoring 2 points. over the course of 40 minutes, that player would be projected to score 160 points grab 80 rebounds, and commit 160 fouls. the reality is that player will never play 40 minutes. and you shouldn't try to project what his stats would be over that time span because it would never happen.

Last year at this time, there were many people projecting what Haas' stats would be and were projecting what they would be given 40 minutes. The reality was, he never played 40 minutes. Haas had some very good games. and his stats at the end of the year were nice. but they weren't close to the preseason projections.

The projected stats above all look possible. but the only stat that really matters is the W .

Giannis and LeBron both played their first game of the NBA season this week. Who had the better stats? if you ask LeBron, it was Giannis. his stats included a W.

The ASSASSIN...…………..
273232.jpg

Reactions: Schnelk
We’ll need Cline this year; as Carsen and Nojel will driving a lot the lane more than likely. He’ll get several attempts each game just from the defense collapsing. We also need a guy other than Carsen to put the ball in his hands where free throws are needed; secure a lead etc
He can be that guy for us.

Sir I’m not good a math or data other than what I see written and I made a very Big mistake and really didn’t read what you were trying say. That’s why I could have never gotten into a school like Purdue thank goodness my son got the brains in the family . I sincerely apologize to you and my rudeness truly was a misunderstanding on my part. Carry on with your data
You did get in to Purdue though! You are part of the Purdue family by sharing your amazing son with us!! Boiler Up!

I am glad to see Cline is ready to take a bigger role for us. He seems to have grown up a lot from some of the things that got him into trouble early in his career.
I think too many times people forget that these are still kids maturing into young men. I know I would not want to be judged for my first couple of years up at Purdue. I did a lot of stupid and crazy things. I went in as a green kid and came out a man by the time I graduated.

I think this is going to be a very fun team to watch. Vitale listing as a #27 preseason pick I think is way too low.

I'm an outsider here, but I think you may have the wrong impression of JDB. Based on what I have seen he is a very loyal and positive Purdue fan. I believe he was using those stats to point out that Nojel, Haarms, and Cline are looking to have a big year.

That is what I am thinking. They all played behind 4 phenomenol seniors who will be missed, but now we get to see these other guys sore to levels I have no doubt they will reach!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT