ADVERTISEMENT

Need to win the BIG Tourney

BoilerJS

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
To stretch our BIG titles over IU back to 2. If IU wins the tourney they will tie us. Let's not let that happen boys.

Well that would be nice, while I want the team to win to show they are peaking and momentum for the NCAA

IU just tied us with iowas loss today...period. The bbt has nothing to do with that
A BIG title is a BIG title. We have 1 more than IU. That's what I'm talking about. PU has BTT title along with our regular season titles. Are we not counting the BTT now? If not than why count a reg season title with the unalanced schedule.

I don't count the BTT title. Why would we? Regular season is far more important. We need to play well in the BTT for seeding purposes only. If we win, great. But we don't need to win it.

Regular season is no longer as important with unbalanced schedules. It is a deliberate effort to make the tournament more important. No one argues that the regular season is more important than winning the NCAA tournament - why should the Big Ten season be different?

Silly me. I just wanted us to win the BTT because I am a Purdue fan.

My goals in the BTT are (1) win at least a couple of games against solid competition on a neutral court in a tourney environment and (2) no one gets hurt. I'm not convinced the wear and tear of 4 games in 4 days before the real tourney is worth it. As long as we don't lose to a vastly inferior team, I'm not convinced seeding is that impacted either.

Silly me. I just wanted us to win the BTT because I am a Purdue fan.
Me too! But I do think it is no longer as important and I also think that it will get worse. It would have been very easy to drop a few teams and have every team play every other team twice but they chose not to do that - why? Oh yeah that tournament thing.

Me too! But I do think it is no longer as important and I also think that it will get worse. It would have been very easy to drop a few teams and have every team play every other team twice but they chose not to do that - why? Oh yeah that tournament thing.
How easy is it to "drop a few teams"?

Regular season is no longer as important with unbalanced schedules. It is a deliberate effort to make the tournament more important. No one argues that the regular season is more important than winning the NCAA tournament - why should the Big Ten season be different?
deliberate effort? hardly. the league expanded to 14 teams, or did you forget?

deliberate effort? hardly. the league expanded to 14 teams, or did you forget?
Gads - I am beginning to worry about my communication skills. Sorry - I meant drop a few of the teams that are played before the Big Ten season. Obviously they are not going to drop any Big Ten teams as those define the Big Ten Network market.

Gads - I am beginning to worry about my communication skills. Sorry - I meant drop a few of the teams that are played before the Big Ten season. Obviously they are not going to drop any Big Ten teams as those define the Big Ten Network market.
all good. i know where you're coming from now.

I think we would have to add 8 more conference games to play everyone home and away. That's more than a few.

yes, it requires 26

They will never and really cant go all the way to 26, but I would like to see 20. Right now, teams are only playing 5 others twice but if you go to 7 that's at least half of the league. It still allows for 11 non-conference games, which I think it plenty for a tournament, a couple tough opponents and the tuneup games.

Also, even though it would potentially be a tougher game, I think there has to be protections for rivalries like IU-Purdue. If they can do it in football, it can be done for basketball.

They will never and really cant go all the way to 26, but I would like to see 20. Right now, teams are only playing 5 others twice but if you go to 7 that's at least half of the league. It still allows for 11 non-conference games, which I think it plenty for a tournament, a couple tough opponents and the tuneup games.

Also, even though it would potentially be a tougher game, I think there has to be protections for rivalries like IU-Purdue. If they can do it in football, it can be done for basketball.
agree, but pre-conference has to be reduced.

I'd rather see Purdue schedule 2 strong or above average teams in place of a couple more conference games. I don't think more conference games improves a teams chances in the ncaa tourney. Especially with how big of an advantage home court has and how poor officiating overall has been within the big ten. I think it is more beneficial to get out and experience another couple of styles of play with non-conf opponents.

I'd rather see Purdue schedule 2 strong or above average teams in place of a couple more conference games. I don't think more conference games improves a teams chances in the ncaa tourney. Especially with how big of an advantage home court has and how poor officiating overall has been within the big ten. I think it is more beneficial to get out and experience another couple of styles of play with non-conf opponents.
The problem with the reg. season conf. games is that you have no idea who is going to be good year in and year out, makes it tough for the conference scheduling committee. Does anyone know if there is a hard-limit on the season start date and a limit on # of games?

The problem with the reg. season conf. games is that you have no idea who is going to be good year in and year out, makes it tough for the conference scheduling committee. Does anyone know if there is a hard-limit on the season start date and a limit on # of games?

I don't know exactly how it's worded by the NCAA with the early season tournaments, but there is a limit on regular season games. Purdue always plays 13 non-conference games because they are in those 3-game tourneys. That's why those tournaments have all those consolation games, to ensure the teams each maximize their schedule.

That's why I mentioned 11 preseason games as enough. I could see picking up two more quality opponents, but I think the Big Ten regular season should hold more weight but it can't without getting closer to a round robin. Maybe two more games doesn't change that enough though

Reactions: honey_badger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT