ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Colvin

Maybe down the road, not sure next year. If Edey returns which is a big if, Purdue still has Furst, Renn, Gillis, there’s really no
room for that unless he’s that good. If all return it’s going to be a challenge for Painter as far as minutes are concerned.
I don't know how big "IF" is, but have been led to believe it may be a toss of the coin. I suspect (no special knowledge of such) that if Purdue does well or doesn't do well that consideration by Zach will play a part.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Think so. But input would be solid, regardless
Agree. If the year was 1980-1999, he would be a top 5 pick easy. The problem is, the pro game has gone perimeter based so big men aren't useful. He will make a good living playing in Europe. Not a knock, just stating facts as the world is today.

TKR is only a RS Freshman...why the hell would he leave?
Better weather, girlfriend going to another school, less stress with smaller school, different mascot, easier degrees, different color of uniforms, better food, he could have fans say he has some sauce. No reason surprises me anymore, but I hope he stays. He seems to be smiling more lately.

Better weather, girlfriend going to another school, less stress with smaller school, different mascot, easier degrees, different color of uniforms, better food, he could have fans say he has some sauce. No reason surprises me anymore, but I hope he stays. He seems to be smiling more lately.
So he is transferring to IU? Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: GemstateBoiler
I think TRK is going to be a major player in a couple years. I hope it will be for Purdue. I think he has some skills along the lines of TJD at IU. TJD is very fluid and quick, TKR has some of that athleticism. One can hope it gets applied as he gets more experience.

Agree. If the year was 1980-1999, he would be a top 5 pick easy. The problem is, the pro game has gone perimeter based so big men aren't useful. He will make a good living playing in Europe. Not a knock, just stating facts as the world is today.
Part of that is because of the lack of good skilled post players. All the big men now want to shoot jump shots.
IF you are unstoppable, there is a place for you in the league.
He's not there yet, but he's heading that way.

Short shot clock also screws things up because team don’t have time to set post plays.
Yea, if this were mid 80’s, Zach would be top 5, guys like Jon Koncak, Joe Kleine, Uwe Blob, Bill Wennington were first round picks, Edey much more dominating than those guys. We’ll see what happens, hopefully Purdue wins a Natty and we kiss him goodbye lol

Yea, if this were mid 80’s, Zach would be top 5, guys like Jon Koncak, Joe Kleine, Uwe Blob, Bill Wennington were first round picks, Edey much more dominating than those guys. We’ll see what happens, hopefully Purdue wins a Natty and we kiss him goodbye lol
Or back to back Nattys after Edey comes back to develop his outside shot before being drafted #1 overall in the 2024 NBA Draft…

Last edited:
FWIW, I believe that Zach Edey’s draft stock not being commensurate with his mega-accomplishments is almost entirely based on how his foot speed translates to the defensive end in the NBA, not the offensive end.

That having been said, Tacko Fall recently stuck on NBA rosters and Edey is in a different galaxy-better than Tacko.

Tacko played 37 games over 3 years...All his nba time was on 2 way contracts
I don't know of any NBA team that currently runs their primary offense through the low post.

Someone would have to decide that Zach is so good that they are going to change the way they run their offense. That's a heavy lift even for a guy as talented as Edey.

Just 20 years ago and Edey would be the #1 pick, just like Yao Ming. Now teams run so much pick and roll that if you can't move your feet, you're toast.
-Defensive 3 seconds means you can't keep a foot in the paint at all times if you're mean isn't within arms length.
-More spacing in NBA due to extended 3pt line, 3pt shooters and wider lane.
-Edeys slow foot speed.

It's no knocks on the Edey, NBAs game is just that much different today. He will definitely get drafted and get some run time. If he can improve his foot speed to defend the pick and roll, he will get time.

I don't know of any NBA team that currently runs their primary offense through the low post.

Someone would have to decide that Zach is so good that they are going to change the way they run their offense. That's a heavy lift even for a guy as talented as Edey.
There isn't a need to run it specifically through the post anymore. Giannis and Jokic can basically run point guard but also murder in the post. Embiid can have the offense ran through the post, PnR or perimeter. Sabonis kinda the same. Plenty of good big men just Big men that are way more versatile. It's why TJD isn't a Top 10 pick. Difference is, TJD has the athleticism to possibly keep up in PnRs.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

They wouldn’t necessarily have to run their offense through the post as a primary option. Zach could play off of others. He also is a tremendous offensive rebounder and brings a ton of value by scoring on put-backs. There are a lot of teams, I am confident, who would love to incorporate him into their offense.

The bigger concern will be playing him on defense. Can he handle NBA ball screen offense? From what I have seen, I think that he can probably do well enough to carve out a role for himself, but I am no NBA expert.

Reactions: oldboiler52
They wouldn’t necessarily have to run their offense through the post as a primary option. Zach could play off of others. He also is a tremendous offensive rebounder and brings a ton of value by scoring on put-backs. There are a lot of teams, I am confident, who would love to incorporate him into their offense.

The bigger concern will be playing him on defense. Can he handle NBA ball screen offense? From what I have seen, I think that he can probably do well enough to carve out a role for himself, but I am no NBA expert.
I view Zach Edey as the best college player at Purdue since the BIG Dog, so I'm not down on his game.

But I disagree a little bit. He's a tremendous rebounder when the tallest player on the other team is either 6'8" or an unathletic 6'11 guy. Match him up against guys that are more athletic than him and are 7' tall and I'm not sure what happens. Also other than the lobs he get from Smith on the pick and role, I don't see him making a lot of plays off the ball.

Again not a problem at Purdue, but in the NBA it could be.

I view Zach Edey as the best college player at Purdue since the BIG Dog, so I'm not down on his game.

But I disagree a little bit. He's a tremendous rebounder when the tallest player on the other team is either 6'8" or an unathletic 6'11 guy. Match him up against guys that are more athletic than him and are 7' tall and I'm not sure what happens. Also other than the lobs he get from Smith on the pick and role, I don't see him making a lot of plays off the ball.

Again not a problem at Purdue, but in the NBA it could be.
He dominated on the boards in the U19 world championship games, including against a very talented US team. Another example is how he did against TJD who has been regularly getting close to 20 rebounds a game, recently, out rebounding him 18 to 7 with 10 offensive boards. I see no reason to doubt that he will be an effective rebounder against today’s NBA centers who are great athletes, but like TJD come nowhere near Edey in size, with a few exceptions. In my view, Edey is an anomaly in that he is so big, with a surprising level of both skill and agility.

ADVERTISEMENT