ADVERTISEMENT

My bodacious bowl projection for Purdue

YouSayPotato

True Freshman
Jun 4, 2021
Assuming the Jeckel Boilers and Hyde Boilers show up with equal frequency throughout the remainder of the season, we finish 6-6. Also assume the B1G champ makes the playoff. Further assume Wisky finishes ahead of Purdue in the conference because their remaining B1G schedule is soft.

That would put Purdue eighth place in the B1G behind Ohio St, Mich, Penn St, Iowa, Mich St, Minny and Wisky. If the B1G champ makes the playoff, we get bowl # 7 in the affiliation lineup, the Guaranteed Rate Bowl in Phoenix. If the B1G champ doesn't make the playoff, we end up in the Redbox Bowl in San Francisco. HOWEVER, the 2021 Redbox Bowl has been cancelled! That would then drop us to the Quick Lane Bowl at Ford Field in Detroit vs a MAC team. Detroit in December!

1. Rose Bowl vs. Pac-12

2. Vrbo Citrus Bowl vs. SEC

3. Outback Bowl vs. SEC

4. SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl vs. Pac-12

5. TransPerfect Music City Bowl vs. SEC

6. New Era Pinstripe Bowl vs. ACC

7. Guaranteed Rate Bowl vs. Big 12

8. Redbox Bowl vs. Pac-12*

9. Quick Lane Bowl vs. MAC

10. Duke’s Mayo Bowl vs. Pac-12

Last edited:
If a Florida / Texas / Arizona venue was smart they would reach out to any canceled bowl game in California about moving the bowl game.

Heck, even Indiana could partition for a bowl given the Colts won't be using their stadium that late in the season.

If a Florida / Texas / Arizona venue was smart they would reach out to any canceled bowl game in California about moving the bowl game.

Heck, even Indiana could partition for a bowl given the Colts won't be using their stadium that late in the season.
Doesn't Indy host the college football championship game this season?

Reactions: pboiler18
In case anyone is wants to cheer for a particular destination for travel purposes:

1. Rose Bowl - Saturday, 1/1/22 at 5 PM (Pasadena, CA)
2. Vrbo Citrus Bowl - Saturday, 1/1/22 at 1 PM (Orlando, FL)
3. Outback Bowl - Saturday, 1/1/22 at Noon (Tampa, FL)
4. SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl - Thursday, 12/30/21 at 10:30 PM (Las Vegas, NV)
5. TransPerfect Music City Bowl - Thursday, 12/30/21 at 3 PM (Nashville, TN)
6. New Era Pinstripe Bowl - Wednesday, 12/29/21 at 2:15 PM (New York, NY)
7. Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Tuesday, 12/28/21 at 10:15 PM (Phoenix, AZ)
8. Redbox Bowl vs. Pac-12* (CANCELLED)
9. Quick Lane Bowl - Monday, 12/27/21 at 11 AM (Detroit, MI)
10. Duke’s Mayo Bowl - Thursday, 12/30/21 at 11:30 AM (Charlotte, NC)

My preferences (4 through 10 only):

1. Las Vegas Bowl. Pac-12 opponent. Thursday night leading into New Year's weekend.....in Vegas. Yes please.

2. Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Big 12 opponent. Good destination. Good start time. Only complaint here is the day of the week. Tuesday night on 12/28 kind of isolates it from the weekend before and the weekend after.

3. Duke's Mayo Bowl. Kudos to the marketing department at Duke's Mayo because I had never heard of them (or this bowl game) until now. Maybe it used to be called something else I'd recognize. Either way, 12/30 in Charlotte would make it ideal for travel. Not a fan of the 11:30 start though. I see no need to play that early on any day except New Year's Day.

4. Music City Bowl. My only real issue with this one is my last experience there which has nothing to do with the game itself although an SEC opponent is probably our toughest draw. That aside, it's a good destination and within easy driving distance for most of our fans. If I hadn't just been there a couple years ago this would probably be close to the top.

5. New Era Pinstripe Bowl. I personally hate football games played in baseball stadiums (see my Wrigley Field comments elsewhere). I'm also a Yankees fan which makes me cringe extra to think that they are using Yankee Stadium in this manner. Yankee Stadium should be a sacred ground for baseball only but it seems they are content to use the new Yankee Stadium for any activity that will make them a dollar. In the middle of the week on a non-holiday in the early afternoon. I suppose the only redeeming quality here is that it's in the biggest city in the country so it could be a decent destination for those wanting to travel there. As a side note, we also have a basketball game that day although it's a home game against Nicholls with an unsettled start as of now so if we ended up there I'm sure they'd move it to the evening so they didn't conflict.

6. Quick Lane Bowl. Not even sure why this bowl exists. 11 AM on the Monday after Chirstmas weekend in Detroit. I like nothing about it. Also a MAC opponent so it's a game you can lose and look bad in but if you win there's still no excitement about it. I think I'd just as soon decline an invitation than play in this one. The Big Ten needs to swap this out for just about anything else.

I also noticed there is a Boca Raton Bowl that doesn't have any affiliations listed. I wonder if the Big Ten could look at this to replace the Redbox Bowl game that got cancelled. It's a decent destination and it's played one week before Christmas on a Saturday. Seems like it would be a good destination and a decent date to play on. Again, not a fan of the 11 AM start but I wouldn't mind anything else about it as long as we got a P5 opponent (which it has never had one of, let alone two). I'm guessing the payout might also be less than other bowls based on it being held in a 30k seat stadium on FAU's campus. One other red flag here is that our basketball team is scheduled to play Butler at noon in Indy that day so that basketball game would be played almost simultaneously with this bowl game if we happened to somehow wind up in it.

In case anyone is wants to cheer for a particular destination for travel purposes:

1. Rose Bowl - Saturday, 1/1/22 at 5 PM (Pasadena, CA)
2. Vrbo Citrus Bowl - Saturday, 1/1/22 at 1 PM (Orlando, FL)
3. Outback Bowl - Saturday, 1/1/22 at Noon (Tampa, FL)
4. SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl - Thursday, 12/30/21 at 10:30 PM (Las Vegas, NV)
5. TransPerfect Music City Bowl - Thursday, 12/30/21 at 3 PM (Nashville, TN)
6. New Era Pinstripe Bowl - Wednesday, 12/29/21 at 2:15 PM (New York, NY)
7. Guaranteed Rate Bowl - Tuesday, 12/28/21 at 10:15 PM (Phoenix, AZ)
8. Redbox Bowl vs. Pac-12* (CANCELLED)
9. Quick Lane Bowl - Monday, 12/27/21 at 11 AM (Detroit, MI)
10. Duke’s Mayo Bowl - Thursday, 12/30/21 at 11:30 AM (Charlotte, NC)

My preferences (4 through 10 only):

1. Las Vegas Bowl. Pac-12 opponent. Thursday night leading into New Year's weekend.....in Vegas. Yes please.

2. Guaranteed Rate Bowl. Big 12 opponent. Good destination. Good start time. Only complaint here is the day of the week. Tuesday night on 12/28 kind of isolates it from the weekend before and the weekend after.

3. Duke's Mayo Bowl. Kudos to the marketing department at Duke's Mayo because I had never heard of them (or this bowl game) until now. Maybe it used to be called something else I'd recognize. Either way, 12/30 in Charlotte would make it ideal for travel. Not a fan of the 11:30 start though. I see no need to play that early on any day except New Year's Day.

4. Music City Bowl. My only real issue with this one is my last experience there which has nothing to do with the game itself although an SEC opponent is probably our toughest draw. That aside, it's a good destination and within easy driving distance for most of our fans. If I hadn't just been there a couple years ago this would probably be close to the top.

5. New Era Pinstripe Bowl. I personally hate football games played in baseball stadiums (see my Wrigley Field comments elsewhere). I'm also a Yankees fan which makes me cringe extra to think that they are using Yankee Stadium in this manner. Yankee Stadium should be a sacred ground for baseball only but it seems they are content to use the new Yankee Stadium for any activity that will make them a dollar. In the middle of the week on a non-holiday in the early afternoon. I suppose the only redeeming quality here is that it's in the biggest city in the country so it could be a decent destination for those wanting to travel there. As a side note, we also have a basketball game that day although it's a home game against Nicholls with an unsettled start as of now so if we ended up there I'm sure they'd move it to the evening so they didn't conflict.

6. Quick Lane Bowl. Not even sure why this bowl exists. 11 AM on the Monday after Chirstmas weekend in Detroit. I like nothing about it. Also a MAC opponent so it's a game you can lose and look bad in but if you win there's still no excitement about it. I think I'd just as soon decline an invitation than play in this one. The Big Ten needs to swap this out for just about anything else.

I also noticed there is a Boca Raton Bowl that doesn't have any affiliations listed. I wonder if the Big Ten could look at this to replace the Redbox Bowl game that got cancelled. It's a decent destination and it's played one week before Christmas on a Saturday. Seems like it would be a good destination and a decent date to play on. Again, not a fan of the 11 AM start but I wouldn't mind anything else about it as long as we got a P5 opponent (which it has never had one of, let alone two). I'm guessing the payout might also be less than other bowls based on it being held in a 30k seat stadium on FAU's campus. One other red flag here is that our basketball team is scheduled to play Butler at noon in Indy that day so that basketball game would be played almost simultaneously with this bowl game if we happened to somehow wind up in it.
Dukes Mayo bowl. Man I can see that going bad real quick if it's out there too long.

Just because those conference placings align to certain bowls...never set in concrete...We went to Nashville!! Huge jump a few years ago....some pick teams that travel well!

I'm going with OSU being in the championship, and after today's win, and minnesota's loss, purdue moving up to the pinstripe bowl.

Hey...I can tell you've never lived in the South. Don't be dissing Duke's Mayo.
Yep, Duke's Mayo is legendary in NC.

I think that used to the the Belks Bowl, but like most mall anchor stores, Belks isn't exactly thriving right now.

An 8-4 team goes to NYC? NFW

i’d rather a ‘lesser’ bowl that purdue can/could/should win….

my biggest fear: purdue gets matched up with a team that humiliates them, ala auburn.

if duh state of ohio goes to the playoffs, everybody shuffles up, and that can create mismatches.

if only indniananna (or however it’s spelled now) had this worry being the #2 team in the big west….

i’d rather a ‘lesser’ bowl that purdue can/could/should win….

my biggest fear: purdue gets matched up with a team that humiliates them, ala auburn.

if duh state of ohio goes to the playoffs, everybody shuffles up, and that can create mismatches.

if only indniananna (or however it’s spelled now) had this worry being the #2 team in the big west….
There are “better” BIG tie-in games that Purdue can/should win - such as in Las Vegas. Again, an 8-4 Purdue team is unlikely to play in NYC.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I am looking at zero upsets for the rest of the season with OSU going into the championship games. That would leave Michigan, MSU, PSU, UW, and iowa all ahead of Purdue in the Big10 standings and also national rankings. . i'm being logical about it. barring any upsets, Purdue is likely to be placed in the 6th best available bowl game on that list. I do have them ahead of Minnesota. You could make a case for Purdue over iowa, but without additional upsets, that's the way the season will play out. I can't see Purdue going to the Vegas bowl over either UW or PSU. And I believe Purdue would prefer to play in the Pin Stripe bowl over going back to the Music City bowl. I also believe the pin Stripe bowl would provide Purdue more exposure than going to Nashville or Vegas.

I am looking at zero upsets for the rest of the season with OSU going into the championship games. That would leave Michigan, MSU, PSU, UW, and iowa all ahead of Purdue in the Big10 standings and also national rankings. . i'm being logical about it. barring any upsets, Purdue is likely to be placed in the 6th best available bowl game on that list. I do have them ahead of Minnesota. You could make a case for Purdue over iowa, but without additional upsets, that's the way the season will play out. I can't see Purdue going to the Vegas bowl over either UW or PSU. And I believe Purdue would prefer to play in the Pin Stripe bowl over going back to the Music City bowl. I also believe the pin Stripe bowl would provide Purdue more exposure than going to Nashville or Vegas.
The whole premise is flawed. This has been a season of upsets.
OSU (8-1) - Pur, MSU, UM - finish 11-1 win East
UM (8-1) - PSU, MD, OSU - finish 10-2
MSU (8-1) - MD, OSU, PSU - finish 9-3
PSU (6-3) - UM, Rut, MSU - finish 8-4
Wisc (6-3) - NW, Neb, Minn - finish 9-3 win West
Iowa (7-2) - Minn, ILL, Neb - finish 9-3
Minn (6-3) - Iowa, IU, Wisc - finish 8-4
Pur (6-3) - OSU, NW, IU - finish 8-4

The whole premise is flawed. This has been a season of upsets.
OSU (8-1) - Pur, MSU, UM - finish 11-1 win East
UM (8-1) - PSU, MD, OSU - finish 10-2
MSU (8-1) - MD, OSU, PSU - finish 9-3
PSU (6-3) - UM, Rut, MSU - finish 8-4
Wisc (6-3) - NW, Neb, Minn - finish 9-3 win West
Iowa (7-2) - Minn, ILL, Neb - finish 9-3
Minn (6-3) - Iowa, IU, Wisc - finish 8-4
Pur (6-3) - OSU, NW, IU - finish 8-4
Yes, anytime someone insists, "I'm being logical" (or "realistic") followed by that many "I believe" statements, something is bound to sound a little "off".

Good research, and you appear to have some interesting predictions:
OSU will continue their dominance over UM.
MSU will lose 3 of 4 to finish the season.
Minny will beat Iowa.

Bottom line: there are still a lot of upsets "on the table". It should be an interesting month.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
PSU no lock to win 2 of 3, we could finish ahead of them. Agree Vegas xs Pac 12 would be my choice.
Also F the Yankees and their stadium.

Reactions: pboiler18
the latest. every time i predict something you know the opposite will happen. there were about 10 upsets after my prediction. if you ever want to make money ask for my prediction, and bet the farm against it. then again, MSU has been terribly lucky this year and most people would have predicted OSU to beat Michigan. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/bowls/predictions/
Let me know what you think on the Big Ten championship, so I can bet on the other.

(Naw really, I don't bet, but like your post)

The best bowl scenario for Purdue would be to have Michigan win. Because if Iowa wins, neither OSU or Michigan will be in the final 4 and as big 10 champ, Iowa would go to the rose bowl. And everything would trickle down from there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT