ADVERTISEMENT

More Purdue & Fortnite

as he's changing the vending machine, all the choices are Purdue. I'm also missing the fort night reference.

I was looking for some reference to Shakespeare and a Mid Summer Night's dream when you said fortnite. I'll admit I'm not an xbox gamer.

Can’t stand fortnite.

(I absolutely love the game, it’s just so frustrating to play)

some players are just so good, it’s crazy how good some people are playing that game.
Good marketing by Purdue. Love it overall.

Never played it. Any concern by anyone on here that this game (as well as other violent video games and movies) numbs players/viewers to murder/violence? Therefore making assault/murder more a part of our culture?

Reactions: SKYDOG
Never played it. Any concern by anyone on here that this game (as well as other violent video games and movies) numbs players/viewers to murder/violence? Therefore making assault/murder more a part of our culture?
This is a chat transcript from NPR and Ben Shapiro with special guest Doug Gentile (psychology professor at Iowa State).

Tried FortNite, it's free to download so no harm there, but the game itself is boring to me. And the whole time you listen to 10-14 year old boys cuss everyone out.

This is a chat transcript from NPR and Ben Shapiro with special guest Doug Gentile (psychology professor at Iowa State).

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking - that the more one is exposed to violence the more likely they are to commit violent acts because it becomes commonplace. Its just like anything else - kids of divorced parents are more likely to be divorced; kids with a parent in jail are more likely to go to jail themselves; kids of smokers are more likely to smoke; and etc.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking - that the more one is exposed to violence the more likely they are to commit violent acts because it becomes commonplace. Its just like anything else - kids of divorced parents are more likely to be divorced; kids with a parent in jail are more likely to go to jail themselves; kids of smokers are more likely to smoke; and etc.
Yes but in all honesty I think it has much more to do with culture and society as a whole rather than pinpointing it directly at video games. I played thousands of hours of violent video games growing up and I am not violent in any aspect of my life (other than the throwing up I did when I caught the flu this year...). If parents are doing their job (and it appears most here do that), talking to your children about the differences between video games/technology and real life is inherent in today's society...and being a teacher I can tell you many kids don't get that discussion with their parents as they are frequently getting themselves in trouble with technology and online social media (had an instance of two students joking about killing 30 people and selling their organs on the black market to move away.....immediate expulsion from school for the remained of of the semester).

Yes but in all honesty I think it has much more to do with culture and society as a whole rather than pinpointing it directly at video games. I played thousands of hours of violent video games growing up and I am not violent in any aspect of my life (other than the throwing up I did when I caught the flu this year...). If parents are doing their job (and it appears most here do that), talking to your children about the differences between video games/technology and real life is inherent in today's society...and being a teacher I can tell you many kids don't get that discussion with their parents as they are frequently getting themselves in trouble with technology and online social media (had an instance of two students joking about killing 30 people and selling their organs on the black market to move away.....immediate expulsion from school for the remained of of the semester).
Pretty much nailed it. Parenting is severely lacking in this age. In my opinion this stems largely from the lie that parenting is not an "ultimate calling" but rather a diversion from career, hobbies and social life.

As far as video games go, if I can't just mash some buttons and within 30 minutes become serviceable, then no thanks. I never understood the desire to spend countless hours "experting" a game. To me, video games are something you might do when it's raining outside, your work/chores are done (which is almost never), and there is nothing good on tv.

Last edited:
Pretty much nailed it. Parenting is severely lacking in this age. In my opinion this stems largely from the lie that parenting is not an "ultimate calling" but rather a diversion from career, hobbies and social life.

As far as video games go, if I can't just mash some buttons and within 30 minutes become serviceable, then no thanks. I never understood the desire to spend countless hours "experting" a game. To me, video games are something you might do when it's raining outside, your work/chores are done (which is almost never), and there is nothing good on tv.
Agree but I would argue a lot of it goes to parents being forced away from parenting time to work more and more to provide in the same manner and aspect that they were provided for. There is literally no reason wages have stagnated across most sectors of our economy while prices have continued to inflate...meanwhile CEO's and other heads of companies have been allowed to continue to take larger and larger sums of money away from their workers.

For example, Indiana teachers have seen the worst income growth in the country since 2000 and now have seen their wages drop more than 11% in regards to inflation rates. The graph below shows how US workers are working more and more yet are not seeing their income grow at any sort of reasonable rate to compensate for that workload.

productivity.png

Reactions: BoilerFan89
Agree but I would argue a lot of it goes to parents being forced away from parenting time to work more and more to provide in the same manner and aspect that they were provided for. There is literally no reason wages have stagnated across most sectors of our economy while prices have continued to inflate...meanwhile CEO's and other heads of companies have been allowed to continue to take larger and larger sums of money away from their workers.

For example, Indiana teachers have seen the worst income growth in the country since 2000 and now have seen their wages drop more than 11% in regards to inflation rates. The graph below shows how US workers are working more and more yet are not seeing their income grow at any sort of reasonable rate to compensate for that workload.

productivity.png

It's almost like there is this constantly growing factor no one takes into account when looking at market forces...

productivity.png
Yeah, I'm sure there's some merit to what you are saying, but, the standard of living is much higher today for the average person than it was 50 or 60 years ago. Without getting too political, I'll just say that wage inequality does not necessarily mean those on the lower end of the spectrum are worse off. What did a tv use to cost? $2,000? And most families had 1 tv and 1 automobile, and never traveled in an airplane.

At the end of the day, how many cars, tv's, toys, jewelry, vacations, hobbies do we sink money into that necessitate the 2 income household? People used to be satisfied with 3 squares a day and a roof over their head. Most people can afford that (and more) regardless of income but many choose to keep up with the Joneses instead. I'm not even 40 but have seen this change in my lifetime. My peers all think they should be living the lifestyle their parents worked 30 years to achieve.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm sure there's some merit to what you are saying, but, the standard of living is much higher today for the average person than it was 50 or 60 years ago. Without getting too political, I'll just say that wage inequality does not necessarily mean those on the lower end of the spectrum are worse off. What did a tv use to cost? $2,000? And most families had 1 tv and 1 automobile, and never traveled in an airplane.

At the end of the day, how many cars, tv's, toys, jewelry, vacations, hobbies do we sink money into that necessitate the 2 income household? People used to be satisfied with 3 squares a day and a roof over their head. Most people can afford that (and more) regardless of income but many choose to keep up with the Joneses instead. I'm not even 40 but have seen this change in my lifetime. My peers all think they should be living the lifestyle their parents worked 30 years to achieve.
Oh no doubt that the standard of living for most Americans have gone up and one could easily argue the plight of poor individuals in this country is far different than that of poor people in, let's say India, Rwanda, China, North Korea, or even most Latin American countries. It's the inherent difference between the developed world vs. the developing (and under-developed world). What I am alluding to is the fact that, when compared to other industries, my wage as a teacher (one of the most middle class jobs one can have) has stagnated and not adjusted according to inflation. Obviously that is more tied to the fact my salary is one that is essentially determined through government allocation...which is why many people believe collective bargaining for teachers is bad because it inhibits really good and qualified teachers from bargaining on their own for a better salary.

I do agree that many people have a poor perspective of what it means to be just starting out vs. when your parents were established and had worked for 15-20 years...but you also can't argue that things such as rental/housing costs and utilities costs are insanely more expensive than they were 15-30 years ago.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/price-changes-in-consumer-goods-and-services-in-the-usa-1997-2017

Man, my kids are gonna grow up to be COMPLETELY AMAZING! :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT