ADVERTISEMENT

Mediocre

Bruce1

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2001
That's what we will always be with Versyp as HC. Sad, this used to be an elite team with elite coaches and players, and results. Now we are just another also ran.

Let's see what happens with our stronger recruits. But there is no question we are no longer an elite program. Just another major revenue sport that has lost its way under Burke's strategy to focus on the minority sports.

Absolutely right!

It took her ,what, 8-9 years to finally get a few higher rated recruits(for next year).

She was only successful with Curry's players. after they graduated we settled down into
a 25-35 ranked program.
I don't think even with better players will Purdue rise back up.
She's just an average coach, nothing more.

In the past I have been a vocal critic of the program because of past success. We (Purdue fans) want the program to return to the level of previous success, but opening the coaches revolving door had to stop and SV has done that and maintained a high profile for Purdue. I am not happy with Purdue's success but many factors including not so good recruiting contributed to this. Lets give SV another year or two to elevate the program before we "start over"

Originally posted by Bruce1:
That's what we will always be with Versyp as HC. Sad, this used to be an elite team with elite coaches and players, and results. Now we are just another also ran.

The success or lack of, can be traced directly to weak recruiting. Why do you suppose all three money programs, MBB, WBB, and Football went into the tank together? What could possibly be a common cause factor driving bad recruiting, and hence bad on the field performance?

To me, it is pretty easy to draw the line between the dots. We just finished signing one of the best classes in WBB we have seen in a long while. We also have a resurgent MBB. Funny thing, football is just starting to turn around. Odd that all three money sports would start to turn around at the same time? Wonder what the common cause is? well, if you can't guess, it's money being invested in these programs. Flat out simple. No coach can win without good recruits, and you can't pinch pennies during the recruiting.

If you want to match the down turn/up turn to correlating events, start with the appointment of the previous president, and her subsequent ouster. You might still have a point about the coach, but SV did pretty darned good with Curry's recruits. SV and her staff are on the short list for several very good recruits in future classes too. I'd recommend we cut her some slack and let these classes take root before we throw out the baby with the bathwater.

cool.r191677.gif

Originally posted by AZboiler:
In the past I have been a vocal critic of the program because of past success. We (Purdue fans) want the program to return to the level of previous success, but opening the coaches revolving door had to stop and SV has done that and maintained a high profile for Purdue. I am not happy with Purdue's success but many factors including not so good recruiting contributed to this. Lets give SV another year or two to elevate the program before we "start over"
I think she has actually turned the corner now with recruiting. We have some really good recruits coming in over the next 3 years and I expect a few more to join in. There, for the last few years we were getting decent recruits with one or two being pretty good but not elite. Now we are getting some better ones in numbers. We may suffer some this year but I think we can have a really good team in 2-3 years as the new recruits mature in college ball, maybe even top 10. Maybe Mathboy is on track for the reasons why but whatever it is, I hope it's not short term. If that ends up being the case we may need to re-evaluate the position then. I'm still thinking we will have a good team this year with some attention to execution and decision making.

Mediocre is the same as average. This program is and has been way above average. There is room between elite and average. The loss to Green Bay was disappointing, but an early season loss to a good team is no reason to panic. As Aaron Rogers has said, "Relax."
This post was edited on 11/22 10:53 AM by WaltV

Purdue women's basketball is definitely on the upsurge. Sharon is starting to get the quality recruits that it takes to build an elite program. It's ridiculous to think that she can't coach given her career at Maine, her one year at IU and what she did with Curry's recruits at Purdue. With the quality of the assistant coaches and the younger players on this team and with what's coming in over the next few years, I think you'll see marked improvement. Be patient.

There is little doubt that if, despite the apparent upswing in recruiting, the WBB program continues its current level of success or goes down, changes may be in order. That is true for the men's programs here and everywhere too. But it hasn't happened for our Lady Boilers yet. Truthfully, if Wllson, a great FT shooter, hits that FT we win and there is not as much angst. So we lost a close game to a good team coached my former Michigan madman Borseth. Those things happen.
This team does not have a lot of proven depth and Coach V has to develop that to make this season a good one. But the new recruits along with the current ones look like an upgrade and we will just have to see. There is no thought of firing a coach who has had consistent winning records and no guarantee that another coach will do better. There is only so much talent in WBB anyway, and we clearly are getting some of it. With the great guards and forwards we have coming in and a front line that could be 6.'4.6.' 4 and 6' 6, all with good credentials, it could get much better fairly soon. Let's see how things play out, but I predict an NCAA birth and a top 5 BT finish this year. We are not a national program now, but hoping to get there.

You also have to factor in the players that have left the program recently, the team is without 2 upperclassman centers that would be on the team right now and playing huge minutes had they not left the program along with a very good low post PF in Jocelyn Massey who also left the program. Those 3 players right there would be big contributors right now for this team and give this team huge depth on the front line.

The other factors are the players that SRV did recruit but have been huge disappointments, like Hamby. How was she a 4,000 point scorer in HS? She has been a terrible disappointment imho.Wow! I expected a real potential scoring threat at the SG position with her, but she has shown absolutely no offensive skills whatsoever imho, very slow, not a cerebral player, and just a huge whiff by SV.

This team is lacking in back court depth right now, no real scorers in the back court except for Morrissette.

It may be 2015-16 season before they are a legit NCAA threat again and B1G threat, barring other players leaving the program of course.

Boiler Up!

This post was edited on 11/22 4:04 PM by PurdueTim14

I never saw much out of Massey, but Redmon and Manuel were big losses and could have helped. We have no experience at all behind our front line now with the rotation of Bays, Clemons, and Thornton. In a tough BT season that can be fatal. Also we do not have much experience behind Morissette, who is a genuine surprise, and, Perry and Wilson. Keys and Hall are frosh and it is looking doubtful that Hamby will produce much. We will just have to see, but this team could wear down as it may have vs. Green Bay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT