ADVERTISEMENT

McKenzie Milton and other thoughts

Feb 7, 2007
McKenzie Milton Leaving UCF

1. Two years ago, McKenzie Milton of UCF was one of the best if not the best QB in the U.S. before blowing out his leg. Milton was a large reason why UCF was undefeated. After 2 years, he has recovered from his leg injury and has decided to transfer for a pretty honorable reason - he does not want to compete with his best friend. Although, he will likely have his pick of places to transfer to, Brohm would be foolish not to at least contact this kid. He would be an immediate upgrade over his existing QB's.

Before I go on to points 2-4, let me give you some personal background to let you know what a PU fan I have been. I have been a Purdue fan longer than most of you have been alive. I grew up in Lafayette. I remember when the coaches were Jack Mollenkopf and George King. Between serving in the Air Force and the Coast Guard, I was a student at Purdue in the mid 70's. I remember the great years and players (Rick Mount, Herm Gilliam, Joe Barry Carroll, Bob Griese, Mike Phipps, Leroy Keyes, etc). I also remember the lackluster coaches (Bob Demoss, Fred Akers, Leon Burtnett, Jim Colletto). My goodness, I remember a year they won 5 games and lost 6 games and still had 5 players drafted in the 1st and 2nd round of the NFL draft starting with big Dave Butz. Basically, I understand your frustrations as I've felt it for over 50 years.

2. Both AOC and Plummer have put up very respectable numbers but haven't been able to put Purdue over the hump. Living in Florida, I don't get to see much of Purdue playing so I can't say if they should play one over the other but at this point, they might as well try Burton for a half to see how he does. I saw where one poster compared Purdue's current QB's to Curtis Painter and I'd have to say that is a pretty fair comparison.

3. With the schedule they had this year, Purdue should have had at least 4 wins at a minimum and likely more than that. This was the weakest schedule I've seen them have in many years. Because it was such a screwed up season with COVID, I don't expect Brohm to get fired. I would like to see a better balanced offense though. The big concern is the defense and Diaco's 3-4 defense isn't going to win with the personnel Purdue has. A good coach alters his offense or defense to fit his players. You don't try to make your players something they aren't. Although he is out for 3 weeks, George K is not a 3-4 defensive end. I don't know if they will can Diaco after one year but I don't expect any big improvements next year. It's pretty bad when, as a long-term Purdue fan, you expect losing instead of winning.

4. Regarding Yanni Karlaftis, despite some sites indicating he is a lock for Purdue, I don't see it. It's possible he is waiting to see if Brohm gets canned but after this season, I'd expect him to look for a winning atmosphere (Wisconsin?). It would be great to see him and George line up together but I'm doubting it at this point.

Lord, all we ask for is a winning season. Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: Purdue80
Doesnt really seem D1 Transfers (not including grad transfers) typically have much success once they transfer.

McKenzie Milton Leaving UCF

1. Two years ago, McKenzie Milton of UCF was one of the best if not the best QB in the U.S. before blowing out his leg. Milton was a large reason why UCF was undefeated. After 2 years, he has recovered from his leg injury and has decided to transfer for a pretty honorable reason - he does not want to compete with his best friend. Although, he will likely have his pick of places to transfer to, Brohm would be foolish not to at least contact this kid. He would be an immediate upgrade over his existing QB's.

Before I go on to points 2-4, let me give you some personal background to let you know what a PU fan I have been. I have been a Purdue fan longer than most of you have been alive. I grew up in Lafayette. I remember when the coaches were Jack Mollenkopf and George King. Between serving in the Air Force and the Coast Guard, I was a student at Purdue in the mid 70's. I remember the great years and players (Rick Mount, Herm Gilliam, Joe Barry Carroll, Bob Griese, Mike Phipps, Leroy Keyes, etc). I also remember the lackluster coaches (Bob Demoss, Fred Akers, Leon Burtnett, Jim Colletto). My goodness, I remember a year they won 5 games and lost 6 games and still had 5 players drafted in the 1st and 2nd round of the NFL draft starting with big Dave Butz. Basically, I understand your frustrations as I've felt it for over 50 years.

2. Both AOC and Plummer have put up very respectable numbers but haven't been able to put Purdue over the hump. Living in Florida, I don't get to see much of Purdue playing so I can't say if they should play one over the other but at this point, they might as well try Burton for a half to see how he does. I saw where one poster compared Purdue's current QB's to Curtis Painter and I'd have to say that is a pretty fair comparison.

3. With the schedule they had this year, Purdue should have had at least 4 wins at a minimum and likely more than that. This was the weakest schedule I've seen them have in many years. Because it was such a screwed up season with COVID, I don't expect Brohm to get fired. I would like to see a better balanced offense though. The big concern is the defense and Diaco's 3-4 defense isn't going to win with the personnel Purdue has. A good coach alters his offense or defense to fit his players. You don't try to make your players something they aren't. Although he is out for 3 weeks, George K is not a 3-4 defensive end. I don't know if they will can Diaco after one year but I don't expect any big improvements next year. It's pretty bad when, as a long-term Purdue fan, you expect losing instead of winning.

4. Regarding Yanni Karlaftis, despite some sites indicating he is a lock for Purdue, I don't see it. It's possible he is waiting to see if Brohm gets canned but after this season, I'd expect him to look for a winning atmosphere (Wisconsin?). It would be great to see him and George line up together but I'm doubting it at this point.

Lord, all we ask for is a winning season. Is that too much to ask?

the problem isn’t QB. Are plummer or O’Connell brees? No .

you have a shit DC and STC and then it appears a bunch of our best OL were unavailable down the stretch.

get a good DC and STC get your OL back and yeah make plummer and O’Connell compete with Alaimo and let the best man win.

it’s like 03 and 04 with orton. Orton went buck Wild til he got hurt in 04. In 03, as a junior, with way more experience than plummer .. I’m not even sure he was one of the ten best players on the team man.

my vision for this season was for plummer to come in and get experience as a still youngish QB who would benefit from being on a team that was good enough around him to not need him to be drew Brees.

if we can get Milton ok but I’m really not understanding this mentality of looking at this roster and saying “no! Unless plummer and O’Connell can meet the burden of being a Michael Vick level playmaker who can single handedly save a dog shit roster then we must immediately get someone else!!”

I got news for all you guys ...

> The DC sucks
> the special teams coach appears to be capable of creating Travis dorsch 1999-2000 level weaknesses all over the special teams
> we don’t have karlaftis and it’s glaringly obvious that other than barnes and Allen no one on our defense is in the same universe as George ... totally different defense
> we seem to be missing 5 OL .. 4 of whom are 4 of our best from Iowa
> our team and especially the defense seems to conduct themselves as if there is no price to pay for bonehead personal fouls
> Milton wright looks like his eyes got that glazed over still a young player look weeks ago
> marvin grant is a stud athlete ... he has at least 9 months to get to where he’s a functional safety

you guys wanna dump all of that on any of our QBs you be my guest ... I’m not going to

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Let’s not forget about Jackson. If you’ve seen film on this kid he has a cannon for an arm , looks accurate and runs a legit 4.4. I know he’s a freshman , but some freshman QB’s are ready to play. Many run the spread offense in HS that helps them in college more than it did 20 yrs ago. I’m just saying make it a 4 person race at QB. The best plays no matter what class they are.

Let’s not forget about Jackson. If you’ve seen film on this kid he has a cannon for an arm , looks accurate and runs a legit 4.4. I know he’s a freshman , but some freshman QB’s are ready to play. Many run the spread offense in HS that helps them. I’m just saying make it a 4 person race at QB. The best plays no matter what class they are.

so did you watch plummer yesterday and think to yourself.. if you put him where orton was on the 03 team we would have been much worse

so did you watch plummer yesterday and think to yourself.. if you put him where orton was on the 03 team we would have been much worse
I really thought he didn’t look great Yesterday. He really struggles to hit passes beyond 10-15 yards. That’s why the last 2 defenses have played more man under making him have to be more accurate. I also thought he didn’t step up in the pocket very well. He didn’t step up and run 1 time. Not 1 time. He took way to many negative yards. I asked this question yesterday on the other board. Does either AOC or Plummer excite you going forward? Neither is a future pro QB. And the difference with Orton is that he had an absolute Cannon of an arm. He could make ALL the throws. He’d throw for 500 yards with these WR and same offensive line. That’s why he had a long NFL career.

I really thought he didn’t look great Yesterday. He really struggles to hit passes beyond 10-15 yards. That’s why the last 2 defenses have played more man under making him have to be more accurate. I also thought he didn’t step up in the pocket very well. He didn’t step up and run 1 time. Not 1 time. He took way to many negative yards. I asked this question yesterday on the other board. Does either AOC or Plummer excite you going forward? Neither is a future pro QB. And the difference with Orton is that he had an absolute Cannon of an arm. He could make ALL the throws. He’d throw for 500 yards with these WR and same offensive line. That’s why he had a long NFL career.

I think plummer is fine. The thing was.. I didn’t think orton was much better than fine until the Syracuse game. He was still stiff even as a junior. The key is.. when you lose a David blough, not to have to rely on freshmen or sophomores

Let’s not forget about Jackson. If you’ve seen film on this kid he has a cannon for an arm , looks accurate and runs a legit 4.4. I know he’s a freshman , but some freshman QB’s are ready to play. Many run the spread offense in HS that helps them in college more than it did 20 yrs ago. I’m just saying make it a 4 person race at QB. The best plays no matter what class they are.

I have and he is very intriguing. Too bad his fall season was canceled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT