ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Painter to his assistants on the 1st day of basketball next season....

Did he block shots? Yes. And that block on Knecht was his best of the year and a highlight block. But, I wouldn't say shot blocking was his strength. But, he altered a ton of shots.
This was addressed by painter in an interview surrounding the draft. He was told not to foul and use great judgment on attempting to make blocks. He was not nearly as aggressive as he’d have liked to have been in attempting blocks. Painter said he had the potential to block a lot more shots but didn’t because of him avoiding potential fouls so he would remain in games!

We hope we have stoppers next year. Some guys seem to have the potential.

We have them when they've done it.
Zach was the only somewhat “stopper” last year—more of a safety valve. Lance was our best backcourt defender and did the best he could and was decent, but couldn’t slow some guys down.

I love Mason but he wasn’t a defensive stopper. More of an enforcer by way of sticking up for guys and not backing down, but defense wasn’t his best attribute.

I hope we can get back to the old painter teams where defense was all around a thing for each player and we had “defense lives here”

We won’t ever know if it were one of his strengths as he wasn’t asked to block shots. He did exactly what was asked of him and that was to not pick up bad fouls by trying to block everything. He stood straight up often and even let easy buckets go by. Why? Because Purdue needed him in the game.

This is what non Purdue fans/edey haters don’t understand (not saying you don’t get it). It was more important for the game plan/strategy for Purdue—for edey to play big minutes. Painter used analytics and bet on it being a whole lot harder for others to score over or around Zach, then it would be for Zach to score at the other end. He was too crucial to the team’s success to just be reckless and trying to block shots.
That's exactly why he said he altered a lot of shots. The "Threat" of the shot block was what was important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT