ADVERTISEMENT

Manufactured QB controversy

FirstDownB

All-American
Oct 12, 2015
As we head into spring ball, one thing has been on my mind when reading various previews and posts about the 2020 season. There is entirely too much talk about the QB position.

Look, I understand this is Purdue, and the QB position is kind of our thing. And its probably the single most important position. But when I survey this roster, it is not anywhere near being the position of greatest concern or the one that will make/break the 2020 season.

Ask yourself this: Other than the QB position, which positions in the two-deeps are stocked with a starter and back-up who have started multiple games and performed quite capably? Wide receiver... maybe RB.. possibly DE (a stretch)???

There are question marks all over this roster, including, and most importantly, the 5 positions responsible for giving these QBs a clean pocket. The last thing we need is to be a bunch of know-it-all fans who pick their favorite QB and look to get into arguments every time the other guy stumbles or can't overcome the 40 points given up by the defense. I believe both Jack and Aidan are more than capable of leading this team back to a bowl game given solid play at the other 21 offensive and defensive positions. THAT is the key to this season. Will we have a P5 caliber supporting cast?

So let's show our support for whoever wins the starting job, and resist being those typical, predictable, cookie cutter fans who drum up a QB controversy just because we have multiple guys who are capable, but neither of which is John Elway or Drew Brees. Brohm knows what he is doing in the QB room, in that we can trust.

We know at least one of the line positions is solid.
Which line position are we two-deep at with proven guys? And even with one or two line positions solid, you need 5 guys working together or you don't have a good line. Defenses will attack any weak links.

Which line position are we two-deep at with proven guys? And even with one or two line positions solid, you need 5 guys working together or you don't have a good line. Defenses will attack any weak links.

Your 2 deep comment was in a separate paragraph from the comment about the 5 line positions.

Also, team plummer

Ok now you're just being a richard.
skeletor-i-am-not-nice-gif-2.gif

As we head into spring ball, one thing has been on my mind when reading various previews and posts about the 2020 season. There is entirely too much talk about the QB position.

Look, I understand this is Purdue, and the QB position is kind of our thing. And its probably the single most important position. But when I survey this roster, it is not anywhere near being the position of greatest concern or the one that will make/break the 2020 season.

Ask yourself this: Other than the QB position, which positions in the two-deeps are stocked with a starter and back-up who have started multiple games and performed quite capably? Wide receiver... maybe RB.. possibly DE (a stretch)???

There are question marks all over this roster, including, and most importantly, the 5 positions responsible for giving these QBs a clean pocket. The last thing we need is to be a bunch of know-it-all fans who pick their favorite QB and look to get into arguments every time the other guy stumbles or can't overcome the 40 points given up by the defense. I believe both Jack and Aidan are more than capable of leading this team back to a bowl game given solid play at the other 21 offensive and defensive positions. THAT is the key to this season. Will we have a P5 caliber supporting cast?

So let's show our support for whoever wins the starting job, and resist being those typical, predictable, cookie cutter fans who drum up a QB controversy just because we have multiple guys who are capable, but neither of which is John Elway or Drew Brees. Brohm knows what he is doing in the QB room, in that we can trust.
You said it all.Great post!

We are a QB known college, so this position is always going to be a discussion item for our team. Even if we had a proven starter, there would be the questions of who the backup would be if that QB might get hurt. If someone was close to graduating, it would be who is going to take their spot after they graduate. Etc., Etc.

It is also posted, because it leads to more discussions on here.

People like to talk about the team, that's how fans are. Most fans support whoever is playing for the their team. Do we talk about how they did? Sure we do, whether good or bad. But we support our team 100% regardless how they did. Go Boilers

We are a QB known college, so this position is always going to be a discussion item for our team. Even if we had a proven starter, there would be the questions of who the backup would be if that QB might get hurt. If someone was close to graduating, it would be who is going to take their spot after they graduate. Etc., Etc.

It is also posted, because it leads to more discussions on here.

People like to talk about the team, that's how fans are. Most fans support whoever is playing for the their team. Do we talk about how they did? Sure we do, whether good or bad. But we support our team 100% regardless how they did. Go Boilers

This all makes perfect sense. Also totally different than a manufactured QB controversy.

A manufactured QB controversy, for example, would be saying your QB who is leading the nation in passing should be benched.

To say that they are proven... might be a little strong. Both played well at times. That is true. I am not ready to anoint either one of them the program savior.

Both guys did some nice things last year, but I would’ve taken Sindelar back with open arms with all of his flaws. Not sure that there is much of a controversy here. The best guy will play. Actually, in the first 3-4 games I hope both play.

Brohm would absolutely take a GT if one popped up. We need to go to a bowl game to maintain recruiting legitimacy. I’m hopeful for next season. I think both play...

To say that they are proven... might be a little strong. Both played well at times. That is true. I am not ready to anoint either one of them the program savior.

Both guys did some nice things last year, but I would’ve taken Sindelar back with open arms with all of his flaws. Not sure that there is much of a controversy here. The best guy will play. Actually, in the first 3-4 games I hope both play.

Brohm would absolutely take a GT if one popped up. We need to go to a bowl game to maintain recruiting legitimacy. I’m hopeful for next season. I think both play...
Not yet..

And what if Aidan wins the job and is named the starter? Will you remain in your 'camp' and jump on the first interception or 3-and-out in Lincoln to call for the backup QB? Or will you trust that the coach is going with his best option? And if we're struggling there is probably a lot more to blame than the QB.

And what if Aidan wins the job and is named the starter? Will you remain in your 'camp' and jump on the first interception or 3-and-out in Lincoln to call for the backup QB? Or will you trust that the coach is going with his best option? And if we're struggling there is probably a lot more to blame than the QB.

Darrell Hazell... Morgan Burke...

Reactions: DAG10

Team Plummer.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Hartwig should red shirt?????????????????????????????? WHAT ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

NAT, you have lost your steely balls.

As has been said many times before, the only real reason our offensive linemen red shirted in the past was they were low level 3 star linemen and grossly undersized. Basically, the majority of them were projects!

Hartwig is neither.

it's time to stop saying linemen should redshirt. that's the old days. Today's linemen - the good ones - not the typical purdue recruited ones - have already been weight training, and strength h training and should have size and be ready to start from day one. if Cronk can play as a freshman, so can Hartwig. Rather than redshirting, the question should be will he gain the starting nod by May?

and it's also time to stop even suggesting that .

Did Ol Britt red shirt at iowa - a team known for producing NFL linemen? Answer: no he didn't . Brohm tried to bring him to purdue. Would he have red shirted at purdue where our line was it's weakest in a decade? Following your philosophy, he probably would have.

If a player has 4 stars, that means he's READY to perform.

NOW STOP suggesting Hartwig redshirt. these are NOT your daddy's oldsmolineman!

Reactions: boiler800
Hartwig should red shirt?????????????????????????????? WHAT ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

As has been said many times before, the only real reason our offensive linemen red shirted in the past was they were low level 3 star linemen and grossly undersized. Basically, the majority of them were projects!

Hartwig is neither.

it's time to stop saying linemen should redshirt. that's the old days. Today's linemen - the good ones - not the typical purdue recruited ones - have already been weight training, and strength h training and should have size and be ready to start from day one. if Cronk can play as a freshman, so can Hartwig. Rather than redshirting, the question should be will he gain the starting nod by May?

Did Ol Britt red shirt at iowa - a team known for producing NFL linemen? Answer: no he didn't . Brohm tried to bring him to purdue. Would he have red shirted at purdue where our line was it's weakest in a decade? Following your philosophy, he probably would have.

Hartwig needs to build strength. Especially if he is going to play center

Brohm knows what he is doing in the QB room, in that we can trust.
Like when Sindelar won the job over Blough...twice?

I sincerely am not trying to stir anything up, just making a point.

That aside, while the QB position is always going to be key...I agree with your point on the whole in that there are far bigger questions and concerns, none more than if they don't have an OL that is at least average, it is a moot point who the QB ultimately is.

Reactions: DannyGranger
Like when Sindelar won the job over Blough...twice?

I sincerely am not trying to stir anything up, just making a point.

That aside, while the QB position is always going to be key...I agree with your point on the whole in that there are far bigger questions and concerns, none more than if they don't have an OL that is at least average, it is a moot point who the QB ultimately is.
Rotating QBs was a big part of the problem with Sindelar/Blough. Whenever there was a clear #1 option (usually due to injury to the other) they thrived. And, yes, the rotating QB thing is on Brohm. But I think he learned from that. He stuck with the starter a lot more last season. Every QB has thrived in his system when given the reigns. He just needs to pick one and stick with him, unless things completely fall apart.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER

Hartwig is neither.

On an unrelated topic, are you really Deuce Bigelow (Wolegib backwards)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT