ADVERTISEMENT

Madness Boredom = 2021 B1G rankings

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
No defense provided for this ridiculously stupid guess-list ... but, I have invested/wasted much time into these guesses!!! So, transfers will happen, 5th year adds will happen .. and perhaps biggest of all, a schedule will appear ... every single one will impact this silliness ... but, WTH, here goes

2021 B1G final standings (not rankings):

EDITED - I had looked at Oklahoma State's recruiting as OSU's
1. MSU
2. WI
3. PU
3. MD
6. MI
7. IO
7. IL
8. OSU
9. MN
10. IU
11. PSU
12. Rutg
12. Neb
12. NW

Last edited:
Reactions: purduepat1969
No defense provided for this ridiculously stupid guess-list ... but, I have invested/wasted much time into these guesses!!! So, transfers will happen, 5th year adds will happen .. and perhaps biggest of all, a schedule will appear ... every single one will impact this silliness ... but, WTH, here goes

1. MSU
2. OSU
3. PU
3. WI
3. MD
6. MI
7. IO
8. IL
9. MN
10. IU
11. PSU
12. Rutg
12. Neb
12. NW
*Posted in your other thread as well*

I'll take a stab at this... This is with current rosters with the exception of those projected to go pro...

1. MSU - They bring everyone back with the exception of Winston. Winston is obviously a massive loss, but they are extremely talented still. They have a top 50 center and top 75 guard in their recruiting class. They also have Joey Hauser coming off redshirt.

Projected Starters: Watts, Henry, Brown, Hauser, and Tillman

2. Wisconsin - Return all starters. Bringing in top 100 PF Ben Carlson.

Projected Starters: Trice, Davisson, Ford, Potter, and Reuvers.

3. Iowa - Return most of their core as well as a NPOY candidate in Garza. Bohannon and Nunge should be back as well.

Projected Starters - Bohannon, Fredrick, Weiskamp, Nunge, and Garza

4. Illinois - I'm guessing they lose Ayo to the draft but keep Cockburn. Bringing in two top 60 guards.

Projected Starters: Curbelo, Frazier, Griffin, Bezhanishvili, Cockburn

5. Michigan - Teske and Simpson are huge losses, but Michigan has a GREAT recruiting class coming in.

Projected Starters: Brooks, Dejulius, Wagner, Todd, Dickinson

6. Ohio State - Assuming Kaleb Wesson returns they should be pretty good.

Projected Starters: Walker, Washington, Muhammed, Liddel, Wesson

7. Purdue - As we all know, we are losing Proctor and EB which don't seem to be big losses. With that said, this team still has plenty of question marks. We will need to rely on newcomers to make instant impacts, and someone from our returning players needs to step up and be the Go-To Guy. I believe it will be Tre.

Projected Starters: Hunter, Ivey, Sasha, Wheeler, Tre

8. IU - They return their starting 5 from last year and a bunch of their depth.

Projected Starters - Phinisee, Durham, Hunter, Smith, TJD

9. Rutgers - Return pretty much everyone.

Projected Starters - Young, Mathis, Baker, Harper, Johnson

10. Maryland - They are going to lose a lot, and their recruiting class is pretty weak. Cowan will graduate and Smith will likely go pro.

Projected Starters - Ayala, Morsell, Wiggins, Scott, Lindo

11. Minnesota - This assumes Oturo is leaving which is a massive loss.

Projected Starters: Willis, Carr, Kalschuer, Williams, Ihnen

12. Penn State - Losing their all everything player in Stevens as well as Watkins and Jones Jr. Lousy recruiting class.

Projected Starters - Wheeler, Jones, Dread, Lundy, Harrar

13. Northwestern - Really bad team without much help on the way...

Projected Starters: Buie, Gaines, Kopp, Nance, Young

14. Nebraska - Nebraska is tough to determine as they had quite a few people redshirt and have a bunch of transfers in and out.

Projected Starters - Webster, Mack, Burke, King, Yvan

I'll take a stab at this... This is with current rosters with the exception of those projected to go pro...

1. MSU - They bring everyone back with the exception of Winston. Winston is obviously a massive loss, but they are extremely talented still. They have a top 50 center and top 75 guard in their recruiting class. They also have Joey Hauser coming off redshirt.

3. Iowa - Return most of their core as well as a NPOY candidate in Garza. Bohannon and Nunge should be back as well.

4. Illinois - I'm guessing they lose Ayo to the draft but keep Cockburn. Bringing in two top 60 guards.

5. Michigan - Teske and Simpson are huge losses, but Michigan has a GREAT recruiting class coming in.

7. Purdue - As we all know, we are losing Proctor and EB which don't seem to be big losses. With that said, this team still has plenty of question marks. We will need to rely on newcomers to make instant impacts, and someone from our returning players needs to step up and be the Go-To Guy. I believe it will be Tre.

10. Maryland - They are going to lose a lot, and their recruiting class is pretty weak. Cowan will graduate and Smith will likely go pro.

12. Penn State - Losing their all everything player in Stevens as well as Watkins and Jones Jr. Lousy recruiting class.

14. Nebraska - Nebraska is tough to determine as they had quite a few people redshirt and have a bunch of transfers in and out.

NICE - I figured someone would fill-in the details.
It seems both Wesson and Tillman will be drafted ... but who knows. I failed to look in detail at the rankings of the recruits ... so I may have seen a highly ranked class with a bunch of lower ranked players over one with just one or two, but highly ranked. Oh well ... THX for the details.

NICE - I figured someone would fill-in the details.
It seems both Wesson and Tillman will be drafted ... but who knows. I failed to look in detail at the rankings of the recruits ... so I may have seen a highly ranked class with a bunch of lower ranked players over one with just one or two, but highly ranked. Oh well ... THX for the details.
If Wesson and Tillman go pro, that might really change the order of things. Mostly it will be dropping Ohio State lower. It will be fun to look back at this when Transfers, NBA Early Entrants, Recruiting, and schedules are all sorted out for the 20-21 season. My guess is that teams will look completely different than they do now!

Reactions: Do Dah Day
If Wesson and Tillman go pro, that might really change the order of things. Mostly it will be dropping Ohio State lower. It will be fun to look back at this when Transfers, NBA Early Entrants, Recruiting, and schedules are all sorted out for the 20-21 season. My guess is that teams will look completely different than they do now!
Absolutely

Thanks for the entertainment! I see it as:

1. Wisconsin - Defending champs return everyone.

2. Iowa - This is assuming Garza and Bohannon play next year.

3. OSU - This is assuming C Wesson comes back. They drop if he bolts.

4. Rutgers - Young team on the rise returns everyone and keeps climbing. Hopefully Corey Baker's agent will convince Geo to leave early.

5. Purdue - Return core and add some impact talent.

6. MSU - Great MSU teams always have a great point guard. Lots of talent, but I see a drop without Cassius.

7. Michigan - Will miss Simpson. Might have them too low though as Livers is star in waiting.

8. Illinois - Ayo likely leaving will hurt. Maybe it's just a bad taste form what Griffin did at Purdue, but keeping punks like that on your roster historically doesn't end well for chemistry long term.....

9. Maryland - I like their 3 wing guards, but who replaces Cowan and Smith's production?

10. IU - Archie

11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Northwestern
14. Nebraska

EDITED - I had looked at Oklahoma State's recruiting as OSU's
1. MSU
2. WI
3. PU
3. MD
6. MI
7. IO
7. IL
8. OSU
9. MN
10. IU
11. PSU
12. Rutg
12. Neb
12. NW

Purdue has a lot to figure out -- certainly could be a contender, but it's a matter of when it gets figured out. Two years ago, it clicked just in time for Big Ten season. We've seen it take longer, we've seen it be pretty immediate.

With COVID-19, it could actually play a big factor depending how it goes over the next few months. With the season being cancelled, would someone rather have their play disrupted while being paid, or being in college. I wouldn't be surprised if that's in the ears of some of these guys.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I haven’t seen him listed anywhere in the first round. It’s expected that he returns.

The NBA is a different animal, and he’s too slow and unathletic to be a first round pick.
He is in the same boat as Carsen and Biggie. Not a first round pick, and physical limitations will likely prevent him from ever being one. It's just a matter of whether he wants to return for another year in school. The main difference being Carsen going ballistic in the tourney probably sealed his decision whereas Garza didn't get the chance for a tourney boost. Might be reason enough for him to return.

He is in the same boat as Carsen and Biggie. Not a first round pick, and physical limitations will likely prevent him from ever being one. It's just a matter of whether he wants to return for another year in school. The main difference being Carsen going ballistic in the tourney probably sealed his decision whereas Garza didn't get the chance for a tourney boost. Might be reason enough for him to return.

Interesting -- people on here were basically angry at anyone that said someone like Swanigan should stay another year. They said Swanigan should go pro because he couldn't go much higher. So should Garza? It was always bizarre to me that Purdue fans got defensive about Swanigan coming back another year haha

Still no shooters and I bet Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Michigan and Illinois, off the top of my head, are better.

Still no shooters and I bet Wisconsin, Iowa, MSU, Michigan and Illinois, off the top of my head, are better.
I'd still at the worst say top 5. If Lander reclassifies they'll have 2 5 Star and 2-3 four star recruits in their lineup, Archie will be fired if he can't win with this team.

I'd still at the worst say top 5. If Lander reclassifies they'll have 2 5 Star and 2-3 four star recruits in their lineup, Archie will be fired if he can't win with this team.
They lost their best shooter on a team that shot 32% from distance. Nowhere near top 5.

Reactions: Purdue85
Interesting -- people on here were basically angry at anyone that said someone like Swanigan should stay another year. They said Swanigan should go pro because he couldn't go much higher. So should Garza? It was always bizarre to me that Purdue fans got defensive about Swanigan coming back another year haha

To be fair, "people" were all over the board about Biggie.

La
Lander won't keep the 5 star if he enters early. Still a talent but a very young talent. I'm seeing another Romeo year.

Reactions: JRowdy20
I’d take a 16.5 ppg scorer from a freshman any day. Was that supposed to be an insult?

You're lowering the bar.

Think back to one of your prior user names on this forum. We were lectured to by numerous IU clowns about how great he was going to be; lottery pick, B1G Freshman of the Year, etc. etc.

Very fine player, yes. Nowhere near the impact we were promised (threatened with?) prior to the season.

You're lowering the bar.

Think back to one of your prior user names on this forum. We were lectured to by numerous IU clowns about how great he was going to be; lottery pick, B1G Freshman of the Year, etc. etc.

Very fine player, yes. Nowhere near the impact we were promised (threatened with?) prior to the season.

Romeo from an individual stand point was fine (and he was a lottery pick btw), just his surrounding cast minus Juwan Morgan was a) not very talented and b) very young; playing in only in the second year of Archie’s system. Next year, Lander will be playing with predominantly upperclassmen and an all-B10 caliber big in TJD. No I don’t think he’ll have a Romeo type impact nor implied it, but will be playing on not only a much more talented team, but experienced team.

Romeo from an individual stand point was fine (and he was a lottery pick btw), just his surrounding cast minus Juwan Morgan was a) not very talented and b) very young; playing in only in the second year of Archie’s system. Next year, Lander will be playing with predominantly upperclassmen and an all-B10 caliber big in TJD. No I don’t think he’ll have a Romeo type impact nor implied it, but will be playing on not only a much more talented team, but experienced team.

You didn't at all addressed my points, and (what I presume to be) the point of the prior poster.

By the way, we were given all the excuses when Romeo wasn't living up to the lofty expectations created by the IU clowns on this forum.

Not to rehash that incredibly amusing era, I'm simply responding to your indignant request.

Much more talented? It’s basically the same team minus Morgan for TJD and Fitzner for Brunk. You also lose your best go to guy in Green. Still no shooters and none in the way.

Mid Bigten bubble team.

Reactions: Purdue85

I hope it's OK for an MSU guy to respond to this, and for the record and while we both hate each other, I hope all of the Purdue fans are doing well in this crazy time we're living in. Stay healthy!

From an MSU perspective, I'd be shocked if Tillman returns. I think he has legitimate value in the small ball NBA, as he does a lot of things (like Draymond Green) that work in the modern league. Athletic, runs the floor, great defender and can shoot a bit.

I'd agree with the other poster who dropped MSU a bit because Winston is gone and good MSU teams typically have a really good PG. I expect Rocket Watts to assume a lot of PG responsibilities and he's a prolific scorer. I'd think anywhere in the 14-18 PPG is a possibility.

Can't comment much on the transfer Hauser, but he should be an impact player. Guys like Malik Hall, Gabe Brown, Aaron Henry "should" all be really productive.

Comes down to leadership. Watts reminds me of your guy Carsen Edwards in that both guys never saw a shot they didn't like. Will put up 20+ attempts per game, so the key there is he has to have an above average FG% for it to work.

Newcomers AJ Hoggard and Sissoko (an athletic freak) will take time to adjust to Izzo's demands and systems, so there will be flashes, but not every game reliability.

Reactions: tjreese
Thanks for the entertainment! I see it as:

1. Wisconsin - Defending champs return everyone.

2. Iowa - This is assuming Garza and Bohannon play next year.

3. OSU - This is assuming C Wesson comes back. They drop if he bolts.

4. Rutgers - Young team on the rise returns everyone and keeps climbing. Hopefully Corey Baker's agent will convince Geo to leave early.

5. Purdue - Return core and add some impact talent.

6. MSU - Great MSU teams always have a great point guard. Lots of talent, but I see a drop without Cassius.

7. Michigan - Will miss Simpson. Might have them too low though as Livers is star in waiting.

8. Illinois - Ayo likely leaving will hurt. Maybe it's just a bad taste form what Griffin did at Purdue, but keeping punks like that on your roster historically doesn't end well for chemistry long term.....

9. Maryland - I like their 3 wing guards, but who replaces Cowan and Smith's production?

10. IU - Archie

11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Northwestern
14. Nebraska

Griffin is not a punk. He did a punk thing one time. No history of it before or after. Really stupid but does not define him forever. If he repeats something like that, it’s a different story.

Comes from a great family. His dad is former NBA player Adrian Griffin who is an NBA assistant in Toronto. His sister is a college player and his brother is a five star recruit who committed to Duke.

Griffin is known for his hard work and being a great teammate.

He did a stupid thing. No doubt. But he is a nice kid.

As for Illinois, there were two transfers sitting out this year who have impressed this year in practice. Both are 6-6 shooters: Jacob Grandison and Austin Hutcherson. I also expect Illinois to add a grad transfer at power forward.

I’m especially excited about Curbelo. Illinois hasn’t had a guard like him in a long time. Adam Miller, a five star shooting guard, gets more hype, but Curbelo will run the team from day one, IMO.

And Kofi is going to be a monster next year.

Last edited:
Much more talented? It’s basically the same team minus Morgan for TJD and Fitzner for Brunk. You also lose your best go to guy in Green. Still no shooters and none in the way.

Mid Bigten bubble team.

Same team? Delusional. IU’s starting front court that year was 6’7 and 6’8, with a one footed D. Davis and then Fitzner coming off the bench. Smith (soph), Durham (soph), Phinisee (Freshman), and Green (jr) were the rotation players. Thompson and Hunter didn’t play that year due to injury.

IU next year goes 6’11, 6’9 and 7/10 rotation players are upperclassmen and the two that aren’t are 5* recruits. It’s not even close to “basically the same team”. Our best go to guy (TJD) is back, Green was never IU’s “go to guy”. He could get hot and fill it up some games but was widely inconsistent and hurt IU more than he helped throughout the season with his erratic play and low BB IQ.

Ohio State got a good transfer from Harvard. I have a feeling Wesson could be gone though. Regardless, they should be pretty good.

Same team? Delusional. IU’s starting front court that year was 6’7 and 6’8, with a one footed D. Davis and then Fitzner coming off the bench. Smith (soph), Durham (soph), Phinisee (Freshman), and Green (jr) were the rotation players. Thompson and Hunter didn’t play that year due to injury.

IU next year goes 6’11, 6’9 and 7/10 rotation players are upperclassmen and the two that aren’t are 5* recruits. It’s not even close to “basically the same team”. Our best go to guy (TJD) is back, Green was never IU’s “go to guy”. He could get hot and fill it up some games but was widely inconsistent and hurt IU more than he helped throughout the season with his erratic play and low BB IQ.
Without Green, IU doesn’t beat Florida State which was by far your best win. Having TJD as your go to guy allows teams to pack the paint and double, forcing the ball back to the perimeter where there are still no shooters.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see IU regress next year. You typed all of these names as older, more experienced players yet none of them have done anything to make one think more experience is going to make them what IU needs and that is shooters.

Reactions: Roeder
Ohio State got a good transfer from Harvard. I have a feeling Wesson could be gone though. Regardless, they should be pretty good.

He has been injured a lot. Also, there is a large difference between play in the Ivy and the Big Ten (see Boudreaux.) Not obvious how big a factor that he will be.

He wouldn’t be nearly as highly ranked if you put him in the 2020 class right now.

Griffin is not a punk. He did a punk thing one time. No history of it before or after. Really stupid but does not define him forever. If he repeats something like that, it’s a different story.

Comes from a great family. His dad is former NBA player Adrian Griffin who is an NBA assistant in Toronto. His sister is a college player and his brother is a five star recruit who committed to Duke.

As for Illinois, there were two transfers sitting out this year who have impressed this year in practice. Both are 6-6 shooters: Jacob Grandison and Austin Hutcherson. I also expect Illinois to add a grad transfer at power forward.

I’m especially excited about Curbelo. Illinois hasn’t had a guard like him in a long time. Adam Miller, a five star shooting guard, gets more hype, but Curbelo will run the team from day one, IMO.

I agee that Illinois will be tough next year. You guys have great talent and a solid coach. Your talent is well distributed across all positions on the court. I think those are two areas (talent and coaching) that our cousins from the south lack. I expect UI to be one of the top 3 teams in the IG. I would be greatly surprised if IU finishes above 8th.

Of course, 8th place is an improvement over this past year.

E
Without Green, IU doesn’t beat Florida State which was by far your best win. Having TJD as your go to guy allows teams to pack the paint and double, forcing the ball back to the perimeter where there are still no shooters.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see IU regress next year. You typed all of these names as older, more experienced players yet none of them have done anything to make one think more experience is going to make them what IU needs and that is shooters.

Exactly. Without Greens huge games in assembly hall, IU likey loses 3 of it's biggest wins against FSU, Iowa, and Ohio State. Archie might not be IUs coach right now if he didn't get hot and win those big games for the Hoosiers.

Ugh, sounds like Illinois is loaded. Why isn't Cockburn going pro? Has he definitely declared he's coming back? He's got much more upside than Otoru IMO. Sometimes I don't believe the NBA mocks out there. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Griffin still equals Christian Laettner to me :)

He's got much more upside than Otoru IMO. Sometimes I don't believe the NBA mocks out there. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

No he doesn't. Oturu is long, athletic, much more mobile, and has a legitimate mid-range/face-up game that extends out to the 3 point line. He's a smaller Joel Embiid. Cockburn is a hell of a player who is physically imposing at the college level.

Reactions: tjreese

Griffin is transferring

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT