ADVERTISEMENT

Love Carsen but...

*4purdue*

All-American
May 6, 2008
this team is starting to remind me of Ronnie Johnson’s last year here.

No, Ronnie, basically did whatever he wanted his last year before he transferred. Carsen is getting away with some things no one else would, and yes, that is a coaching problem.
Okay... by last year I thought you were implying senior year. But yeah I was happy when he left.

Ya carsen takes alot of shots and he may be trying to do too much but, comparing him to Ronnie??? Really?

Our 3 game losing streak is much more on painter imo. Fsu and vt were very winnable. We were never going to win at um with our lack of talent and i would be ok even with this blowout loss if this wasn't our 3rd in a row. Mostly mad at painter with his roster mismanagement and giving eifert a starting spot and major minutes.

Ya carsen takes alot of shots and he may be trying to do too much but, comparing him to Ronnie??? Really?

Our 3 game losing streak is much more on painter imo. Fsu and vt were very winnable. We were never going to win at um with our lack of talent and i would be ok even with this blowout loss if this wasn't our 3rd in a row. Mostly mad at painter with his roster mismanagement and giving eifert a starting spot and major minutes.
Only in the sense that he is taking crazy shots and CMP says nothing.... much like Ronnie did.

Reactions: Boiler_Pete99

2 games. We beat Robert Morris after VT

Terone? and Carsen isn't the problem. Painter is
I cannot disagree with your claim about Painter. Unfortunately, outside of the explosive nature of Carsen and the steady shooting and playing of Cline, Painter does not have a lot in the cupboard right now.

So, in some ways, CMP has to ride the Carsen roller coaster while hoping some of these other players start stepping up. And to date, no one really has.

Is it CMP's recruiting? I'm sure part of it is. After all, if Jeff Brohm can come in and take a football program in much worse condition than CMP's basketball program, and land plenty of top 4* recruits, you have to wonder why Painter cannot do the same.

But at the same time, Painter seems to be forcing his offense into the same mold he had last year - spreading out the shooters on the perimeter and hoping we can shoot our way through the season - but without a dominating post presence.

Maybe Williams will eventually develop to the point he can provide that presence, maybe not. Haarms is apparently not going to play on the low block, so until he can hit perimeter shots with consistency, or drive like Mo Wagner to the hoop, he remains an enigma and is not all that productive. Finally, EB is a warrior, but despite his uncanny savvy, he is too slow, too small, with simply not enough defensive chops or offensive firepower to be a significant contributor.

So I don't know where we go from here unless and until some of these other guys start taking the next step. So I guess we'll see, huh?

Aaron Wheeler, Sasha, Nojel (as a 3), Haarms, EB, Hunter, Carsen, Trevion. I also like Painter as the coach of Missouri.
giphy.gif

I cannot disagree with your claim about Painter. Unfortunately, outside of the explosive nature of Carsen and the steady shooting and playing of Cline, Painter does not have a lot in the cupboard right now.

So, in some ways, CMP has to ride the Carsen roller coaster while hoping some of these other players start stepping up. And to date, no one really has.

Is it CMP's recruiting? I'm sure part of it is. After all, if Jeff Brohm can come in and take a football program in much worse condition than CMP's basketball program, and land plenty of top 4* recruits, you have to wonder why Painter cannot do the same.

But at the same time, Painter seems to be forcing his offense into the same mold he had last year - spreading out the shooters on the perimeter and hoping we can shoot our way through the season - but without a dominating post presence.

Maybe Williams will eventually develop to the point he can provide that presence, maybe not. Haarms is apparently not going to play on the low block, so until he can hit perimeter shots with consistency, or drive like Mo Wagner to the hoop, he remains an enigma and is not all that productive. Finally, EB is a warrior, but despite his uncanny savvy, he is too slow, too small, with simply not enough defensive chops or offensive firepower to be a significant contributor.

So I don't know where we go from here unless and until some of these other guys start taking the next step. So I guess we'll see, huh?
Yeah I mean I can't fault Carsen for his lack of weapons. We definitely need some serious changes but I think that starts with our offense. We rarely create easy shots.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Just answer the question.
I did. I like all of the players... Some just shouldn’t be playing as much as they do. The point of the thread is that this team is not being coached right now. Any coach that lets a kid shoot as many 3’s as Carsen does from 25’ with a hand in his face and keep missing, should do something about it after the first time. Even if they were going in, which they aren’t, that’s not a good shot. Carsen is playing very selfish right now and I think everyone sees it but the one making the decisions.

I did. I like all of the players... Some just shouldn’t be playing as much as they do. The point of the thread is that this team is not being coached right now. Any coach that lets a kid shoot as many 3’s as Carsen does from 25’ with a hand in his face and keep missing, should do something about it after the first time. Even if they were going in, which they aren’t, that’s not a good shot. Carsen is playing very selfish right now and I think everyone sees it but the one making the decisions.

OK....I hear ya.

Your position would be true if there were other talented players on the team, but there's not. Yes, Cline can shoot, but he is too slow to consistently get open. EB is slow as well. Carsen forcing shots is currently the best option.

Reactions: SegregationOfDuties

Well said.

2 games. We beat Robert Morris after VT
Lol what the heck i completely missed that game apparently. Either way im upset we've lost 3 games in a row to ranked teams. Literally didn't make one negative comment after the 2 other losses but have been starting to get fed up with how painter has been handling our roster.

Your position would be true if there were other talented players on the team, but there's not. Yes, Cline can shoot, but he is too slow to consistently get open. EB is slow as well. Carsen forcing shots is currently the best option.
No it’s not the best option. No one will improve if that’s the best option, including Carsen. If we’re going to lose, then fine, no one is happy about it, but at least develop the younger players. I’d rather lose by 20 letting the freshman get some experience than letting him jack up bad shots and still lose by 20. It’s also going to hurt Carsen’s stock.

Good post. My beef with Painter is he's not playing the younger guys with the higher ceiling more minutes. Why play Eifert in these types of games when you know it's not going to work? Give your young guys minutes so they can develop and gain confidence for later in the season or next year. It's just mind boggling to me and I don't understand his logic. Hustle is great, but it doesn't make up for talent deficiencies.
And I completely agree that if Brohm can recruit 4*s to what once was a dumpster fire, why is it not possible to get the talent in basketball. How does a place like Gonzaga get the talent they do? To me, playing a walk on in front of who he heavily recruited because he likes the effort isn't going to draw in more talented recruits. You have to show recruits you're going to give them minutes and develop them.
I think Painter's ceiling is pretty much what we've already seen. He'll field a really good team every so many years when he holds onto a good class. But I don't see him getting over the hump. I think we have what we have, which is a fringe top 25 program that will reach the top 10 every so often.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
No it’s not the best option. No one will improve if that’s the best option, including Carsen. If we’re going to lose, then fine, no one is happy about it, but at least develop the younger players. I’d rather lose by 20 letting the freshman get some experience than letting him jack up bad shots and still lose by 20. It’s also going to hurt Carsen’s stock.

This ^^^^. Why not take your lumps now but get your younger players more experience?

Aaron Wheeler, Sasha, Nojel (as a 3), Haarms, EB, Hunter, Carsen, Trevion. I also like Painter as the coach of Missouri.

I'm beginning to think I like Painter at Mizzou as well, especially if he doesn't stop with his stupid mentality of playing Eifert at all costs.

If Wheeler doesn’t start next game, something is seriously wrong with this CMP and Eifert bromance
No kidding. When Brady Eifert is a starter in the BIG 10, you are a bottom tier program in the league. He tries, but he is not a BIG 10 caliber player.

Still the best post in this thread. Including the one that started it all.

This post for me represents the toughest pill to swallow in the losses this year. I haven’t really been disappointed in other players this year because I didn’t have the expectations from the other players this year. They are all new starters. Every time you see Carsen falling into 3 taller players out of control, scoop tossing the ball off his hip praying for heavy English and a soft rim, I think in that moment the Ronnie Johnson comparison is fair. It’s like something you would see in SEC conference 5 years ago and say thank goodness I don’t have to watch this garbage in the BIG yet here we are. I would rather watch him jack up a deep 3 or any one of our recruited shooters jack up a 3 than this one man circus act. These turnovers he has had this year are uggggly. He has straight up fired the ball into the stands more times this year than I have seen any player over the last 2 years. Every time he is looking at the nearest player like what the hell dude (no ownership). I think he has a major media hype ego problem going right now. Hopefully CMP has the balls to pause the game in the filmroom and ask Carsen “does this look like Michael Jordan to you because it looks more like Ronnie Johnson to the rest of us” now turn in your sauce and complete a f***ing pass. Well I guess that last part sounded a little more like Robert Knight but you get the point.

This post for me represents the toughest pill to swallow in the losses this year. I haven’t really been disappointed in other players this year because I didn’t have the expectations from the other players this year. They are all new starters. Every time you see Carsen falling into 3 taller players out of control, scoop tossing the ball off his hip praying for heavy English and a soft rim, I think in that moment the Ronnie Johnson comparison is fair. It’s like something you would see in SEC conference 5 years ago and say thank goodness I don’t have to watch this garbage in the BIG yet here we are. I would rather watch him jack up a deep 3 or any one of our recruited shooters jack up a 3 than this one man circus act. These turnovers he has had this year are uggggly. He has straight up fired the ball into the stands more times this year than I have seen any player over the last 2 years. Every time he is looking at the nearest player like what the hell dude (no ownership). I think he has a major media hype ego problem going right now. Hopefully CMP has the balls to pause the game in the filmroom and ask Carsen “does this look like Michael Jordan to you because it looks more like Ronnie Johnson to the rest of us” now turn in your sauce and complete a f***ing pass. Well I guess that last part sounded a little more like Robert Knight but you get the point.
This post is spot on. Not sure what is going on with these turnovers. So many passes to no one; I just don't get it. Carsen needs to start being the leader and playing better team ball and taking care of the ball or it is going to be a long non-productive season for him and the team!

This post is spot on. Not sure what is going on with these turnovers. So many passes to no one; I just don't get it. Carsen needs to start being the leader and playing better team ball and taking care of the ball or it is going to be a long non-productive season for him and the team!
I don’t mind the long 3s so much as the turnovers.

I don’t mind the long 3s so much as the turnovers.
This team will be better off when Carsen realizes he needs to play less like Superman and more like Shelvin Mack. Clutch shooter from 3 very smart and under control with the ball, and excellent at distributing the ball making teammates better. He needs to embrace point guard qualities for the success of this team and his personal goals at the next level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT