ADVERTISEMENT

Lorenzo Neal and others in his position

ImRonBurgandy?

All-American
Aug 14, 2008
I was thinking about Neal and players in similar situations, not guys projected in rounds 1 or 2. Is it more advantageous to play ball or train for a combine (neither of which are guaranteed to happen)?

Isn't the combine in place because NFL scouts/Gms/coaches are busy in the fall? Seemingly, they'd have plenty of time to watch and scout college players during the spring. I would think they'd much rather see games played vs. combine.

I Guess it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I was thinking about Neal and players in similar situations, not guys projected in rounds 1 or 2. Is it more advantageous to play ball or train for a combine (neither of which are guaranteed to happen)?

Isn't the combine in place because NFL scouts/Gms/coaches are busy in the fall? Seemingly, they'd have plenty of time to watch and scout college players during the spring. I would think they'd much rather see games played vs. combine.

I Guess it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If I was Neal, that took so long to get back to being healthy, I wouldn't play. I would train for the combine or for scouts. We might be playing some games in the snow in the Spring, and he could get hurt again. The Big Ten's geography does not play well for Spring football.

My question is on the seniors, if there is no Spring football. Are they done then? If not, how are they going to handle scholarship limits and other things that teams might not know until the very last.

How is this going to affect us with Yanni. He is not going to get to see the new defense, and who knows if he will get to take additionals visits. Does this help or hurt us with him?

Looking at the Packers' last draft, they paid a lot more attention to the combine than actual game performance. QB Love was mediocre in a mediocre conference. THE RB from Boston College did absolutely nothing against Purdue's porous run defense. and picking Cincy's TE or Pudue's TE? That guy was a no show against OSU's secondary.

Is there anything that prevents guys like Neal to become a free agent immediately and go to an NFL Team or an NFL Team plucking talent now?

Is there anything that prevents guys like Neal to become a free agent immediately and go to an NFL Team or an NFL Team plucking talent now?

I don't think any rules are stopping people like Neal moving on, just pride of graduation.

Just imagine if the XFL just said "let's do fall football" this season and got a major network to broadcast.

1. Killer ratings
2. College juniors/seniors who already graduated and want to get paid before they move on to jobs in their life... or to showcase for the 2021 NFL draft.

Seems like a missed opportunity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT