ADVERTISEMENT

List your top 3 to 5 potential HC candidates...realistically speaking.

Definitely Dino Babers. Not saying he is the best coach of who might be available...but Tiller wasn't really either. But they have/had unique offensive systems that would make us different.

Purdue is not going to line up and beat people the traditional way anytime soon. Nor are we going to be able to recruit well unless we have something different to offer compared to the rest of the BIG10.

Babers would bring in that different system that somewhat evens the playing field and makes teams adjust to how we would play...not the other way around.

Your recruiting statement is BS. We just need someone who can flipping recruit.

1. Doug Meacham - TCU offensive coordinator. Meacham was a 2014 finalist for the Broyles Award, recognizing the nation's top assistant coach. Having been involved with the offense at TCU, Houston, and Oklahoma State he would definitely bring back basketball on grass to West Lafayette and restart the Cradle of Quarterbacks. I love watching his passion and enthusiasm he demonstrates on the sidelines. He will bring the fire that Purdue needs. Plus he has all of the recruiting ties in Texas and Oklahoma. I Can not think of a coach that would make me more excited next year. In fact as I typed this the even more I got excited at this possibility.

2. Charlie Strong - I am sure Texas will fire him this year no matter what.

3. Pep Hamilton

Ed's past struggles with alcohol would probably turn the BOD off.[/QUOTE]

I wish the administration was concerned with my drinking problem from watching this debacle called Purdue Football.

1. Bob Stitt - Bring some innovative offense back to ross-ade, or any offense whatsoever. The hiring would create some headlines, and offensive recruits would probably want to play for him.

2. Jim Tressel - Resume says it all, would be a big boost to recruiting, and the potential shot in the arm he could provide would be worth the risk

3. Ed Ogregon - everybody else has already listed the reasons

4. Bo Pelini - Why not? The guy has had several winning seasons, and is basically guaranteed to be better than what we have now

Last edited:
Ed's past struggles with alcohol would probably turn the BOD off.

I wish the administration was concerned with my drinking problem from watching this debacle called Purdue Football.[/QUOTE]

They are. Why do you think they put in the South End Zone pavilion?

Reactions: Redhotfill
I wish the administration was concerned with my drinking problem from watching this debacle called Purdue Football.

They are. Why do you think they put in the South End Zone pavilion?[/QUOTE]

Purdue's AD motto....Embrace it, don't fight it!

Purdue's AD motto....Embrace it, don't fight it!
How about: "Hey - a couple beers and this bad football will start to look a lot better!"[/QUOTE]

Then flash up local AA meeting info.....to be followed by Purdue Football fans anonymous at the same location directly after?

At the meeting, do we talk about beating our demons like Steve Sarkisian, and then talk about how he, Steve Spurrier and Jon Gruden are great candidates for our future HC opening>?

1. Bob Stitt - Bring some innovative offense back to ross-ade, or any offense whatsoever. The hiring would create some headlines, and offensive recruits would probably want to play for him.

2. Jim Tressel - Resume says it all, would be a big boost to recruiting, and the potential shot in the arm he could provide would be worth the risk

3. Ed Ogregon - everybody else has already listed the reasons

4. Bo Pelini - Why not? The guy has had several winning seasons, and is basically guaranteed to be better than what we have now
supposedly Maryland is going to look into Tressel

Definitely Dino Babers. Not saying he is the best coach of who might be available...but Tiller wasn't really either. But they have/had unique offensive systems that would make us different.

Purdue is not going to line up and beat people the traditional way anytime soon. Nor are we going to be able to recruit well unless we have something different to offer compared to the rest of the BIG10.

Babers would bring in that different system that somewhat evens the playing field and makes teams adjust to how we would play...not the other way around.

Remember.. We are trying to buy at a good spot on the list but we must know anyone blowing the world up will land comfortably above Purdue. Also, we want the best coach we can get amongst those who can have Purdue PASSING THE BALL WELL! babers fits all of that

Your recruiting statement is BS. We just need someone who can flipping recruit.

You base your BS comment on what? What track record of good recruiting has there ever been with Purdue football beating out the better BIG10 programs for recruits? Never has that happened! We get lucky every so often that kids develop into studs. The only time we've ever had decent recruiting is during the Tiller years when we had a novelty offense at the time and had the benefit of selling Brees/Orton to recruits..and even then the recruiting wasn't amazing. We still couldn't land a top receiver even though we threw it 50 times a game.

Yes, we need a coach who can recruit (obvious)...but there also needs to be some ammo for that coach to be able to sell a top recruit as to why he should come to Purdue. What distinguishes the Purdue football program to a kid that he would pick us over MSU or Michigan?? That is why a guy like Dino Babers would have the novelty offense to use as a recruiting tool...that could distinguish us...much like Tiller had at the start of his tenure.

Yes, if Bob Stoops was hired, then he could easily walk into a kids house and land him to come to Purdue based on name recognition. But that's not happening and our next hire is going to be another MAC type of coach with no name recognition...so what is that coach going to do to land recruits? He has to have something to sell that differentiates Purdue for other schools.

For all we know Hazell could have been the best recruiter on the planet, but other than playing time and a good education...what would he actually of had to sell the better recruits as to why they should come to Purdue? It's going to take capitalizing on a flash in the pan situation like we had with Brees to really get the ball rolling. Baylor has capitalized on Art Bryles...they have built a brand new stadium and don't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

Purdue did not capitalize on the Brees/Orton/Tiller years which is on Burke and the rest of the higher ups.

Orgeron is a great recruiter but bad coach with shaky ethics. Not a good cultural fit at Purdue. NO NO NO

1. Tom Herman
2. Justin Fuente
3. Greg Schiano

Not sure if any of those guys would come to Purdue.

What Purdue culture are you referring to? Do you think some programs actually look the other way when it comes to ethics violations?
I agree that you don't need as boy scout but you also can't have a bump on a log like Hazell.

This is why Ed Orgeron makes the most sense for Purdue, IMO. A great recruiter and with a good budget for his assistants, he can attract quality men that can make up for his perceived lacking in the coaching portion (in all honesty, can it be any worse than what we are seeing currently?

Orgeron is still known as one of the best recruiters in college football and someone who can sell a program like he can to better recruits is what Purdue desperately needs. He is also a name that would get the attention of recruits immediately with his success at USC in the wake of his interim stint there.

You base your BS comment on what? What track record of good recruiting has there ever been with Purdue football beating out the better BIG10 programs for recruits? Never has that happened! We get lucky every so often that kids develop into studs. The only time we've ever had decent recruiting is during the Tiller years when we had a novelty offense at the time and had the benefit of selling Brees/Orton to recruits..and even then the recruiting wasn't amazing. We still couldn't land a top receiver even though we threw it 50 times a game.

Yes, we need a coach who can recruit (obvious)...but there also needs to be some ammo for that coach to be able to sell a top recruit as to why he should come to Purdue. What distinguishes the Purdue football program to a kid that he would pick us over MSU or Michigan?? That is why a guy like Dino Babers would have the novelty offense to use as a recruiting tool...that could distinguish us...much like Tiller had at the start of his tenure.

Yes, if Bob Stoops was hired, then he could easily walk into a kids house and land him to come to Purdue based on name recognition. But that's not happening and our next hire is going to be another MAC type of coach with no name recognition...so what is that coach going to do to land recruits? He has to have something to sell that differentiates Purdue for other schools.

For all we know Hazell could have been the best recruiter on the planet, but other than playing time and a good education...what would he actually of had to sell the better recruits as to why they should come to Purdue? It's going to take capitalizing on a flash in the pan situation like we had with Brees to really get the ball rolling. Baylor has capitalized on Art Bryles...they have built a brand new stadium and don't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

Purdue did not capitalize on the Brees/Orton/Tiller years which is on Burke and the rest of the higher ups.

Do you realize Purdue's recruiting classes for most of Tiller's years were in the top 4-5 in the Big Ten? Are we going to go head to head with Ohio State and win 50% of the time? No. Even 20%? No. But it's recruiting - you don't get everyone you want. We regularly competed with good Big Ten programs under Tiller. We aren't trying to get 5 stars. We need high level 3 stars and some 4 stars. Nothing more.

Our current talent level is MAC level, not even bad Big Ten level.

Do you realize Purdue's recruiting classes for most of Tiller's years were in the top 4-5 in the Big Ten? Are we going to go head to head with Ohio State and win 50% of the time? No. Even 20%? No. But it's recruiting - you don't get everyone you want. We regularly competed with good Big Ten programs under Tiller. We aren't trying to get 5 stars. We need high level 3 stars and some 4 stars. Nothing more.

We are making it bad big ten level unfortunately

Tiller recruited well but he did it by beating out the big boys 1-2 times a year, but beating out our peers in conference at a really good clip. We used to compete head to head with MSU, Iowa, Wisc, Illinois and even Penn St. + others for good 3 star talent and consistently win. Need to get back to that.

Butch Davis if you want someone that is a winner, can rebuild a program, recruit and run decent Offensive & Defensive teams! He probably would not cost and arm and a leg say like a Sumlin!

Reactions: timster
I would be nervous getting someone with zero Midwest recruiting experience.

This is where I think Kentucky did a good thing getting Stoops and his recruiting plan. He is using his SEC/B1G location to gets guys from Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, and Georgia. It looks like his program is sort of 'creeping' right now but if you look at their games this season...they aren't blowing anyone out but they aren't being blown out either. Their recruiting classes have been improving and reflect an importance of that plan and in the SEC East, they could make a big move in the coming years as Missouri has done.

I still think Oregeron would be the best hire considering the supposed difficulties some say surround recruiting to Purdue and the lack of coaching ability can be corrected by hiring good coordinators. I believe that is easier to correct versus recruiting and Oregeron is one of the best.

If Oregeron is out of the question, go for a super young coach who will bring an effective offensive scheme: Babers, Fuente, or maybe try to hire Kliff Kingsbury away from Texas Tech (he is more likely to succeed at Purdue in the West than the Big 12 with TCU, Oklahoma, Texas, Baylor, and Okie State, and WVU.

You basically agreed with what I said. I said the only time we've had decent recruiting at Purdue was in the early Tiller years. I'm not arguing that. But the reason he was able to recruit was because he had instant success of 9 wins with a novelty offense (which is why I want Babers) and he had the luxury of selling playing alongside a Heisman candidate QB.
But unfortunately those years of decent recruiting weren't capitalized on by financial investment from the AD and Tiller stopped bringing in good recruiting classes towards the end of his tenure.

I know we need 3 and 4 star players. Every school wants that. But you can't just say you must find a coach who knows how to recruit and that will translate to being able to recruit at Purdue. PJ Fleck is a heck of a recruiter in the MAC...but if Purdue gets him how does that translate into recruiting in the BIG10? That coach must have something unique to sell. Tiller had the spread offense and the production of Drew Brees.

We need a coach that can offer something unique to land all of those good 3 and 4 star recruits...and most likely that coach will need to have some decent success his first year on the job with the current roster to be able to really sell what he is doing.

These Orgeron supports have to be crazy. He was a disaster at Ole Miss and they couldn't wait to get rid of him. He inherited a pretty good team from David Cutcliffe and never won more than 4 games. He presents himself poorly in interviews, he acted like a spoiled brat after he didn't get the USC job, and he is widely regarded as a shady/unethical recruiter. Strong NO on him

Reactions: RDUBoiler
This is where I think Kentucky did a good thing getting Stoops and his recruiting plan. He is using his SEC/B1G location to gets guys from Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, and Georgia. It looks like his program is sort of 'creeping' right now but if you look at their games this season...they aren't blowing anyone out but they aren't being blown out either. Their recruiting classes have been improving and reflect an importance of that plan and in the SEC East, they could make a big move in the coming years as Missouri has done.

I still think Oregeron would be the best hire considering the supposed difficulties some say surround recruiting to Purdue and the lack of coaching ability can be corrected by hiring good coordinators. I believe that is easier to correct versus recruiting and Oregeron is one of the best.

If Oregeron is out of the question, go for a super young coach who will bring an effective offensive scheme: Babers, Fuente, or maybe try to hire Kliff Kingsbury away from Texas Tech (he is more likely to succeed at Purdue in the West than the Big 12 with TCU, Oklahoma, Texas, Baylor, and Okie State, and WVU.

Never mind on Kingsbury...he got a pay jump from $1.5 million to $3.1 million this past year. He is currently the 31st highest paid coach. In comparison, Purdue pays Darrell Hazel the 51st largest salary. This puts Hazell a pay around coaches such as:

44. Part Fitzgeral - Northwestern ($2.49 million)
45. Gary Anderson - Oregon State ($2.45)
46. Paul Chryst - Wisconsin ($2.3)
47. David Shaw - Standford ($2.24)
48. Paul Rhoads - Iowa State ($2.2)
49. Dave Doeren - NC State ($2.2)
50. Tommy Tuberville - Cinncy ($2.2)
51. Darrell Hazel - Purdue ($2.2)
52. Randy Edsall - Maryland ($2.11)
53. David Cutcliffe - Duke ($2.05)
54. Mike MacIntyre - Colorado ($2.01)
55. Sonny Dykes - California ($2.008)
56. Larry Fedora - North Carolina ($1.9)
57. George O'Leary - Central Florida ($1.89)
58. Ken Niumatalolo - Navy ($1.67)

74. Bill Cubit - Illinois ($915,000): He is the lowest paid HC but I wonder how much of that is his base salary as the OC to start with. I am sure he received some what of a bump to take over as interim coach but I do know a few years ago he was bumped up to $500k per season, which would put him some where around 20-25 and he was making roughly 100k per year more than Shoop.

Never mind on Kingsbury...he got a pay jump from $1.5 million to $3.1 million this past year. He is currently the 31st highest paid coach. In comparison, Purdue pays Darrell Hazel the 51st largest salary. This puts Hazell a pay around coaches such as:

44. Part Fitzgeral - Northwestern ($2.49 million)
45. Gary Anderson - Oregon State ($2.45)
46. Paul Chryst - Wisconsin ($2.3)
47. David Shaw - Standford ($2.24)
48. Paul Rhoads - Iowa State ($2.2)
49. Dave Doeren - NC State ($2.2)
50. Tommy Tuberville - Cinncy ($2.2)
51. Darrell Hazel - Purdue ($2.2)
52. Randy Edsall - Maryland ($2.11)
53. David Cutcliffe - Duke ($2.05)
54. Mike MacIntyre - Colorado ($2.01)
55. Sonny Dykes - California ($2.008)
56. Larry Fedora - North Carolina ($1.9)
57. George O'Leary - Central Florida ($1.89)
58. Ken Niumatalolo - Navy ($1.67)

74. Bill Cubit - Illinois ($915,000): He is the lowest paid HC but I wonder how much of that is his base salary as the OC to start with. I am sure he received some what of a bump to take over as interim coach but I do know a few years ago he was bumped up to $500k per season, which would put him some where around 20-25 and he was making roughly 100k per year more than Shoop.
no to Orgeron, didn't do well at Ole Miss and has some issues w/ the bottle
Norvell or Hudspeth and Tuberville interests me a bit.

As I said I want someone who is a good QB coach because that's what Purdue's historically been most recognized for. Justin Fuente or Dino Babers.

As I said I want someone who is a good QB coach because that's what Purdue's historically been most recognized for. Justin Fuente or Dino Babers.
Mike Norvell is the OC/QB coach at ASU, has tutored some good QB's and has a high powered O. Ready for a FT job.

supposedly Maryland is going to look into Tressel

His five-year show-cause penalty from the NCAA won't expire until Dec. 19, 2016. Nobody will touch him before that. So the 1st year he could coach would be the 2017 season and he'd be 65 by the end of the season. I don't see him coming back.

Love Ed Orgeron. He's about the only guy who has won at USC since Carroll left!

He can recruit his balls off too. No reason he couldn't at least be on our staff.

I also like Fuente, P.J Fleck and Matt Campbell.

I would like whoever our HC is to offer Bob Stitt $1mil to be our OC for the new staff. I also think that if we retain Hazell, we should go after Stitt as our OC.

Hell I would pick Pete Carroll, only draw back is that he is 64 years old....

Don't forget Brock Spack, he has only had one losing season at Illinois State since taking the HC job. Last year they tied for first place with North Dakota State in the MVC and almost won the championship. Just came up short.... He is the last Defensive Coordinator at Purdue to have a respectable defense. Hey and is a Purdue man... But, Burke may have to in order to get him because I am sure there is some bad blood there.

Don't forget Bobby Williams who has been with Coach Saban for a long time (MSU, LSU, Miami Dolphins, Alabama) and did serve as Head Coach at Michigan State for a short while. He is a Purdue man, and was a good player for Jim Young (1978-1982).

I would love to see former Purdue player & assist. coach, Coach Kevin Sumlin be the next Purdue coach, I have wanted him since he had success at Houston, but most folks on this page back then gave me hell over even suggesting him. How do you like me now.... But, I don't think he would ever leave Texas A&M and the SEC. Besides, he is another person who would not work for Morgan Burke. Burke would have to go before Sumlin would even consider such a move to Purdue.....

Also, I know he is 60 years old, but what about Tony Dungy. I think he could turn the program around at least long enough to get a super star college coach in the future.... Just a thought.....

Butch Davis if you want someone that is a winner, can rebuild a program, recruit and run decent Offensive & Defensive teams! He probably would not cost and arm and a leg say like a Sumlin!
Miami Butch Davis, ok. UNC Butch Davis, hell no. Had a roster full of NFL players and couldn't win more than 8 games in any season. And that's not even mentioning the academic misconduct and his players receiving benefits from agents. Plus a guy that's dumb enough to employ John Shoop as his OC/QB coach the entire time he was at UNC makes me want to stay even further away from him.

Miami Butch Davis, ok. UNC Butch Davis, hell no. Had a roster full of NFL players and couldn't win more than 8 games in any season. And that's not even mentioning the academic misconduct and his players receiving benefits from agents. Plus a guy that's dumb enough to employ John Shoop as his OC/QB coach the entire time he was at UNC makes me want to stay even further away from him.
It is fine to disagree but your FACTS on his record are so far off makes one doubt any of what you posted true. His best record at Miami was 11-1 and he rebuilt NC and beat ND!

What about Colts OC Pep Hamilton? He was the OC at Stanford when Harbaugh was there. He was rumored to leave the Colts last year and coach somewhere but never did. Wonder if he would be a good head coach?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT