ADVERTISEMENT

List your top 3 to 5 potential HC candidates...realistically speaking.

JohnnyDoeBoiler

All-American
Sep 23, 2013
West Lafayette
Here is my rankings of coaches I would, realistically speaking, like to see brought to Purdue:

1: Ed Oregron, Defensive Line Coach LSU
Although Oregron has a less than stellar overall record as a head coach (specifically Ole Miss), he is known as the best recruiter in the college football landscape today. He had a successful stint as the interim head coach at USC (which I'm sure are now kicking themselves for not naming him the coach) and was recently hired as the defensive line coach at LSU. He would bring something that is desperately needed to West Lafayette, and that is an effectiveness on the recruiting trail while also being a name recognizable throughout the country.

2: Mark Hudspeth, UL Lafayette
Record at UL Lafayette: 36-16 (4 years)
Career Record: 102-37 (11 years)
Hudspeth has been a home-run hire for UL Lafayette, and it won’t be long before Power 5 programs inquire if he’s interested in moving to a bigger job. In each of Hudspeth’s four seasons, the Ragin’ Cajuns have won nine games and claimed a bowl victory. Prior to the last four years at UL Lafayette, Hudspeth went 66-21 at North Alabama from 2002-08 and also worked as an assistant at Mississippi State. Hudspeth is one of college football’s top rising stars in the coaching ranks.

3: Dino Babers, Bowling Green
Record at Bowling Green: 8-6 (1 year)
Career Record: 27-13 (3 years)
Babers turned in a solid 8-6 record in his debut at Bowling Green last season. The Falcons managed to overcome the loss of starting quarterback Matt Johnson in the season opener to claim the MAC East title. Babers came to Bowling Green after a 19-7 record in two years at Eastern Illinois. With Johnson back under center, along with a standout core of offensive talent, Babers’ “Falcon Fast” offense should take flight in 2015.

4: Chad Morris, SMU
Record at SMU: First Year
Career Record: First Year
Morris is regarded as one of the top offensive minds in college football. After a one-year stint as Tulsa’s play-caller in 2010, Morris was hired to coordinate Clemson’s offense and was a key piece of the Tigers’ recent success over the last four years. The Tigers averaged at least 30 points in each of Morris’ four seasons, including back-to-back years of at least 40 points (2012-13). This is Morris’ first opportunity to be a head coach on the collegiate level, but he was a successful high school coach from 1994-2009. As a Texas native and with connections to the high school level, Morris should have no trouble recruiting to SMU. This should be a great hire for the Mustangs.

5: Matt Campbell, Toledo
Record at Toledo: 26-13 (3+ years)
Career Record: 26-13 (3+ years)
Campbell is one of college football’s youngest head coaches at 35 years old, and through three full seasons, the former Mount Union defensive lineman has guided Toledo to 26 wins. The Rockets tied for the MAC West title in 2014 but lost the head-to-head tiebreaker with Northern Illinois. Campbell is a rising star in the coaching ranks, and with running back Kareem Hunt returning for 2015, Toledo should be among the favorites to win the conference this year.

6: Bob Stitt, Montana
Stitt reminds me a lot of what Tiller was prior to coming to West Lafayette. A coach, out in west, playing an odd sort of football nobody has really seen before. Stitt is still considered one of the sharpest minds offensively in the country and many colleges and professional teams have sought him out for advice on scheming their offenses. He has had some success with his system at Montana after defeating 3 time defending FCS National Champion NDSU on the opening weekend. It should be noted that his previous school, Colorado School of Mines (which he built from the ground up), is currently 5-0 and ranked in the top 10 for D2 schools.

Others worth mentioning and would be considered my 2nd tier of coaches to bring in to interview:
These coaches either have some red flags with failures in the past or I believe may need more time to prove themselves as a HC (ala Hazell's one successful year).

These are in no particular order:

Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech
Record at Louisiana Tech: 13-13 (2 years)
Career Record: 101-84 (15 years)
Holtz is coaching at his fourth FBS program and eclipsed 100 wins in his career in 2014. After a 16-21 three-year stint at USF, Holtz landed at Louisiana Tech and guided the Bulldogs to a Conference USA West Division title last season. Holtz also has successful stops on his resume from UConn (34 wins) and East Carolina (38 victories).

Tom Herman, Houston
Record at Houston: First Year
After a successful run as Ohio State’s offensive coordinator (2012-14), Herman is ready for his opportunity to run a program. The Ohio native lands at a solid program too, as Houston as the resources to be one of the top contenders in the American Athletic Conference on an annual basis. Prior to the last three years with the Buckeyes, Herman spent time as an offensive coordinator at Iowa State (2009-11), Rice (2007-08) and Texas State (2005-06).

Willie Fritz, Georgia Southern
Record at Georgia Southern: 9-3 (1 year)
Career Record: 185-70-1 (21 years)
Fritz was one of the top coaching hires from 2014, as he guided Georgia Southern to a 9-3 record and a perfect 8-0 mark in Sun Belt play. Adding to the impressive 2014 season was the fact it was Georgia Southern’s debut on the FBS level. Fritz’s success isn’t just limited to Georgia Southern either, as he went 40-14 in four years at Sam Houston State and 97-47 at Central Missouri.

Matt Wells, Utah State
Record at Utah State: 19-9 (2 years)
Career Record: 19-9 (2 years)
Despite a few major injuries to key players over the last two seasons, Wells has navigated Utah State to a 19-9 record and a 13-3 mark in conference play in that span. The Aggies played for the 2013 Mountain West title and have back-to-back bowl victories under Wells’ direction. Even though Wells inherited plenty of talent from former coach Gary Andersen, his coaching ability has been on full display with the key injuries this team has been forced to overcome over the last two years.

Justin Fuente, Memphis
Record at Memphis: 17-20 (3 years)
Career Record: 17-20 (3 years)
Fuente is one of the nation’s top rising stars in the head coach ranks. The Oklahoma native worked as an assistant at Illinois State and TCU before replacing Larry Porter at Memphis in 2012. Fuente inherited a program that went 3-21 from 2010-11 and the Tigers showed immediate progress in Year One, finishing with a 4-8 mark in 2012. Memphis finished 3-9 in its debut in the American Athletic Conference but went 10-3 and finished No. 25 in the final Associated Press poll in 2014. With Memphis among the contenders to win the AAC in 2015, Fuente could be pursued by bigger programs this offseason.

Last edited:
Love Ed Orgeron. He's about the only guy who has won at USC since Carroll left!

He can recruit his balls off too. No reason he couldn't at least be on our staff.

I also like Fuente, P.J Fleck and Matt Campbell.

I would like whoever our HC is to offer Bob Stitt $1mil to be our OC for the new staff. I also think that if we retain Hazell, we should go after Stitt as our OC.

Would any OC worth a damn work for a lame duck coach?

Ed's past struggles with alcohol would probably turn the BOD off.

Would any OC worth a damn work for a lame duck coach?

Ed's past struggles with alcohol would probably turn the BOD off.

I would for $1million dollars. Plus, it gets him familiar with the program....a good way to audition to be the HC?

I would hesitate to hire a guy with only FCS or lower coaching experience (like Stitt), no matter what his role has been.

I would for $1million dollars. Plus, it gets him familiar with the program....a good way to audition to be the HC?

I would hesitate to hire a guy with only FCS or lower coaching experience (like Stitt), no matter what his role has been.

I dont mind hiring FCS or lower into a coordinator role. I dont think there is much innovation at the FBS level. If you want a coach with a dislocational scheme, you are going to have to take a risk (Chip Kelly/Malzahn).

Here is my rankings of coaches I would, realistically speaking, like to see brought to Purdue:

1: Ed Oregron, Defensive Line Coach LSU
Although Oregron has a less than stellar overall record as a head coach (specifically Ole Miss), he is known as the best recruiter in the college football landscape today. He had a successful stint as the interim head coach at USC (which I'm sure are now kicking themselves for not naming him the coach) and was recently hired as the defensive line coach at LSU. He would bring something that is desperately needed to West Lafayette, and that is an effectiveness on the recruiting trail while also being a name recognizable throughout the country.

2: Mark Hudspeth, UL Lafayette
Record at UL Lafayette: 36-16 (4 years)
Career Record: 102-37 (11 years)
Hudspeth has been a home-run hire for UL Lafayette, and it won’t be long before Power 5 programs inquire if he’s interested in moving to a bigger job. In each of Hudspeth’s four seasons, the Ragin’ Cajuns have won nine games and claimed a bowl victory. Prior to the last four years at UL Lafayette, Hudspeth went 66-21 at North Alabama from 2002-08 and also worked as an assistant at Mississippi State. Hudspeth is one of college football’s top rising stars in the coaching ranks.

3: Dino Babers, Bowling Green
Record at Bowling Green: 8-6 (1 year)
Career Record: 27-13 (3 years)
Babers turned in a solid 8-6 record in his debut at Bowling Green last season. The Falcons managed to overcome the loss of starting quarterback Matt Johnson in the season opener to claim the MAC East title. Babers came to Bowling Green after a 19-7 record in two years at Eastern Illinois. With Johnson back under center, along with a standout core of offensive talent, Babers’ “Falcon Fast” offense should take flight in 2015.

4: Chad Morris, SMU
Record at SMU: First Year
Morris is regarded as one of the top offensive minds in college football. After a one-year stint as Tulsa’s play-caller in 2010, Morris was hired to coordinate Clemson’s offense and was a key piece of the Tigers’ recent success over the last four years. The Tigers averaged at least 30 points in each of Morris’ four seasons, including back-to-back years of at least 40 points (2012-13). This is Morris’ first opportunity to be a head coach on the collegiate level, but he was a successful high school coach from 1994-2009. As a Texas native and with connections to the high school level, Morris should have no trouble recruiting to SMU. This should be a great hire for the Mustangs.

5: Matt Campbell, Toledo
Record at Toledo: 26-13 (3+ years)
Career Record: 26-13 (3+ years)
Campbell is one of college football’s youngest head coaches at 35 years old, and through three full seasons, the former Mount Union defensive lineman has guided Toledo to 26 wins. The Rockets tied for the MAC West title in 2014 but lost the head-to-head tiebreaker with Northern Illinois. Campbell is a rising star in the coaching ranks, and with running back Kareem Hunt returning for 2015, Toledo should be among the favorites to win the conference this year.

6: Bob Stitt, Montana
Stitt reminds me a lot of what Tiller was prior to coming to West Lafayette. A coach, out in west, playing an odd sort of football nobody has really seen before. Stitt is still considered one of the sharpest minds offensively in the country and many colleges and professional teams have sought him out for advice on scheming their offenses. He has had some success with his system at Montana after defeating 3 time defending FCS National Champion NDSU on the opening weekend. It should be noted that his previous school, Colorado School of Mines (which he built from the ground up), is currently 5-0 and ranked in the top 10 for D2 schools.

Others worth mentioning and would be considered my 2nd tier of coaches to bring in to interview:
These coaches either have some red flags with failures in the past or I believe may need more time to prove themselves as a HC (ala Hazell's one successful year).

These are in no particular order:

Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech
Record at Louisiana Tech: 13-13 (2 years)
Career Record: 101-84 (15 years)
Holtz is coaching at his fourth FBS program and eclipsed 100 wins in his career in 2014. After a 16-21 three-year stint at USF, Holtz landed at Louisiana Tech and guided the Bulldogs to a Conference USA West Division title last season. Holtz also has successful stops on his resume from UConn (34 wins) and East Carolina (38 victories).

Tom Herman, Houston
Record at Houston: First Year
After a successful run as Ohio State’s offensive coordinator (2012-14), Herman is ready for his opportunity to run a program. The Ohio native lands at a solid program too, as Houston as the resources to be one of the top contenders in the American Athletic Conference on an annual basis. Prior to the last three years with the Buckeyes, Herman spent time as an offensive coordinator at Iowa State (2009-11), Rice (2007-08) and Texas State (2005-06).

Willie Fritz, Georgia Southern
Record at Georgia Southern: 9-3 (1 year)
Career Record: 185-70-1 (21 years)
Fritz was one of the top coaching hires from 2014, as he guided Georgia Southern to a 9-3 record and a perfect 8-0 mark in Sun Belt play. Adding to the impressive 2014 season was the fact it was Georgia Southern’s debut on the FBS level. Fritz’s success isn’t just limited to Georgia Southern either, as he went 40-14 in four years at Sam Houston State and 97-47 at Central Missouri.

Matt Wells, Utah State
Record at Utah State: 19-9 (2 years)
Career Record: 19-9 (2 years)
Despite a few major injuries to key players over the last two seasons, Wells has navigated Utah State to a 19-9 record and a 13-3 mark in conference play in that span. The Aggies played for the 2013 Mountain West title and have back-to-back bowl victories under Wells’ direction. Even though Wells inherited plenty of talent from former coach Gary Andersen, his coaching ability has been on full display with the key injuries this team has been forced to overcome over the last two years.

Justin Fuente, Memphis
Record at Memphis: 17-20 (3 years)
Career Record: 17-20 (3 years)
Fuente is one of the nation’s top rising stars in the head coach ranks. The Oklahoma native worked as an assistant at Illinois State and TCU before replacing Larry Porter at Memphis in 2012. Fuente inherited a program that went 3-21 from 2010-11 and the Tigers showed immediate progress in Year One, finishing with a 4-8 mark in 2012. Memphis finished 3-9 in its debut in the American Athletic Conference but went 10-3 and finished No. 25 in the final Associated Press poll in 2014. With Memphis among the contenders to win the AAC in 2015, Fuente could be pursued by bigger programs this offseason.
Oregron may be headed back to U$C?
I would vote for Scott Frost. Although you won't find it on his resume, he deserves a great deal of credit for collegiate accolades given to Chip Kelley

Orgeron isnt going back to USC. They had their chance once.

First time I've seen Ed Oregeron mentioned as a Purdue hire....after reading the book "The Meat Market" I would root for him to come here. Having said that, I agree with Nat that his past issues at LSU might derail any chances and I don't know if he would want to coach in the Big Ten after spending most of his time in SEC or PAC area.

New names of a guys who might be successful:

Joey Jones-Literally built South Alabama's program and has a career record of 43-37 with a brand new FCS program.

Jay Hopson-Alcorn State. 27-14 record for a program that almost disbanded before he took over. Won 4 games his first season despite not being hired until after Spring Ball and having a very short handed roster

I think the piss poor record at Ole Miss had more to do with it.

Ironically, i remember the drinking thing with Orgeron. Sark's drinking wasnt a secret when he was at UW.

His record at Ole Miss was bad....but for as much as people want to complain Hope left the cupboard bare, Ole Miss was in an awful state when Ed took over.

Yeah, it was bad. He was decent at USC, but i would have a hard time justifying a hire based on one season. We did that with Hazell and look how that turned out.

Orgeron is a great recruiter but bad coach with shaky ethics. Not a good cultural fit at Purdue. NO NO NO

1. Tom Herman
2. Justin Fuente
3. Greg Schiano

Not sure if any of those guys would come to Purdue.

Love Ed Orgeron. He's about the only guy who has won at USC since Carroll left!

He can recruit his balls off too. No reason he couldn't at least be on our staff.

I also like Fuente, P.J Fleck and Matt Campbell.

I would like whoever our HC is to offer Bob Stitt $1mil to be our OC for the new staff. I also think that if we retain Hazell, we should go after Stitt as our OC.

So what happens when the great recruiting he ERR ALLEGEDLY did by just being a good, clean recruiter for the big boys.... doesn't happen here?

We then have a good recruiter, without good recruits, who is probably less of a coach than a guy who doesn't name that as his main currency.

How could you not want Babers?

What if I told you that a coach went to Eastern Illinois... took a 2-star recruit with offers from Eastern Illinois, Illinois St. and Montana St... got him drafted in the 2nd round of the NFL draft, and during his senior year (Jimmy Garoppolo), went to Northern Illinois, where we'd get our ASS handed to us by 30, and lost by 4 with FCS talent.

Then, went to Bowling Green, took MAC talent (and not exaggerated/hyperbole MAC talent, REAL MAC talent), came here and handed us our rear end... weeks after beating Maryland.

A former military guy, who.. like John Fox, is probably going to let you suck for all of about 3 reps in practice before he pulls you.. who is going to keep pulling people who are blowing it in practice until guys work their way back in their, know where the F their supposed to be, when they're supposed to be there, what they're supposed to do and then DO IT.

That's how a big time passing team comes into Purdue and yet has running backs who occasionally run our whole defense over.

Babers and Blough is a pretty enticing duo... And if you can't go to Bowling Green and sell Dino Babers on Purdue, you should just shut down.

Reactions: Summy1
Orgeron is a great recruiter but bad coach with shaky ethics. Not a good cultural fit at Purdue. NO NO NO

1. Tom Herman
2. Justin Fuente
3. Greg Schiano

Not sure if any of those guys would come to Purdue.

Fuente's success may price him out of Purdue's range by years end.

Fuente's success may price him out of Purdue's range by years end.

Fuente is going to have a few SEC schools beating down his doors at season's end.

That said, if no good SEC, BIG 12 or ACC schools are out there looking he could land with us and I wouldn't be upset.

I also like Matt Campbell at Toledo.

Babers is a solid candidate too. Plenty of guys out there who would be immediate upgrades Xs and Os wise....but if they can't recruit I don't think it means much.

So what happens when the great recruiting he ERR ALLEGEDLY did by just being a good, clean recruiter for the big boys.... doesn't happen here?

We then have a good recruiter, without good recruits, who is probably less of a coach than a guy who doesn't name that as his main currency.

He's def. a prime candidate for a coordinator position moreso than getting another chance at being a HC. He did an absolute bang up job with a terribly underperforming USC team after Kiffin was sent packing.

That said, I think being a good recruiter should be the A#1 atrribute of our next coach....and giving him the ability to hire strong OC and DC candidates.

Being a UGA alum, I hope that Richt tanks and gets fired and Purdue has the opportunity to pick that guy up. He could change the perception, results and entire program from top to bottom.

Also, whats saddest is that this is the most actually realistic conversation on potential coaching replacements.

Also, whats saddest is that this is the most actually realistic conversation on potential coaching replacements.

That was the point of the thread. Obviously there are a lot of potential candidates out there but we need to look at it realistically. I heard Sean Payton's name thrown around as he may end up being fired this year. He was linked potentially to the USC job he would be a perfect fit here at Purdue. I don't think he would come to a job like Purdue though. Maybe post Tiller but it is such a rebuild, I'm not sure he would want the effort after coming from the NFL. I really think Oregron is probably the best candidate for the job seeing as he would be instantly the best possible recruiter Purdue could get and give him the funds to get a top notch OC and DC, and Purdue could have a top notch staff. Maybe retain Taver Johnson and make him associate HC to help with the transition?

I'd like keeping Taver around. He was known in SEC circles to be a pretty good recruiter. Don't really think that's fleshed itself out here but I like him. I like Orgeron if we let him spend a lot of $$$ to get good assistants.

What fans would have to keep in mind though is that any coach that comes in is going to have a tough road to rebuild. While this program might not have been a total dumpster fire when Hazell got it (even though I feel it was in bad shape), it surely is now. It might take a new coach the full 4 years to get to a bowl.

I also was on board with giving Hazell a full 4 years, but the backslide this year has been pretty inexcusable and its time for a change. I didn't think we'd be good....but with our schedule 4-5-6 wins was pretty easily attainable. In fact, even though we suck we should probably have 3 or 4 wins now.

Taver wasnt well thought of at OSU. He also lost his AHC tag under Bieledork.

You guys are getting too caught up on his resume.

As for the original OP's list no name should be considered if they have a mediocre record in the past. Mediocrity is why Hope is no longer here. If you haven't lit it up for a few seasons you don't deserve consideration.

As for the original OP's list no name should be considered if they have a mediocre record in the past. Mediocrity is why Hope is no longer here. If you haven't lit it up for a few seasons you don't deserve consideration.

I agree to an extent, but if you wait too long the guy who is the next big thing might get snapped up by a different team.

Say, Kevin Sumlin for example? Purdue took a wait and see approach and by the time they saw, he was out of their prestige AND price range.

We don't have many guys with solid resumes. Thems the facts.

You are basing the thought of promoting him to AHC soley based on where he has coached, not based on performance. He has been a position coach for this long for a reason.

For position coaches, i dont think you need a long resume. Lou A didnt have one. T Williams didnt have one.

1) Mike Norvell, 4th highest paid OC at $900,000/yr. ASU's deputy HC, guided a prolific O at Tulsa, coaches up QB's and WR's ( lord knows we could use that), relates well to the kids (34 yrs old), tireless worker and has had ASU's O ranked highly every year.

2) Mark Hudspeth

3) Matt Rhule

on a side note, USC may inquire about D'Antonio

Last edited:
Definitely Dino Babers. Not saying he is the best coach of who might be available...but Tiller wasn't really either. But they have/had unique offensive systems that would make us different.

Purdue is not going to line up and beat people the traditional way anytime soon. Nor are we going to be able to recruit well unless we have something different to offer compared to the rest of the BIG10.

Babers would bring in that different system that somewhat evens the playing field and makes teams adjust to how we would play...not the other way around.

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I don't claim to be in a position to provide a list of NAMES, but here is a short list of CHARACTERISTICS that should be required of our next HC:
(1) Must have success for more than 1 year. No more 1 year wonders!
(2) Must be known for something.. something innovative, a trademark, a go-to strength, an identity to pull recruits to, something to fall back on when the chips are down. You should be able to instantly sum this up in a few words or less.. Tiller = spread offense, Chip Kelly = no huddle, Meyer = read option, Briles = super wide splits. Hope = ??? Hazell = ??? Exactly.
(3) Assets must be transferable. I don't care if someone is a great recruiter at USC. I don't care if someone knows how to "win ugly" at Ohio State. Are they going to be able to do this at Purdue? A coach with a proven track record of turning around a moribund football program has more value to Purdue right now than someone who knows how to manage a football powerhouse.
(4) Somewhat contrary to #3, Purdue ties should not be a prerequisite, as long as they have had success in a similar situation. True, Purdue is a unique job, but we cannot immediately reduce the candidate list to 1 or 2 names based primarily on their ties to, or love of, Purdue.
(5) Don't go simply on W/L record or exclude candidates with one specific weakness. Let's face it, we might have to accept someone with an imperfect resume. An offensive innovator with a shaky defense is a better candidate than a coach with overall mediocre teams. Why? Because it is easier to focus on fixing one thing than multiple facets. And in the meantime, at least the games are fun to watch!

What I like about Houston's Herman is that he has midwest ties, is young and one heck of a recruiter! The job he has done in less than one year with 4 and 5 star rated athletes committing to UH is impressive, and is a modern offensive mind! The down side is that he has only one year as a Head Coach but I would bet if UH season continues going well and ends in a decent Bowl game he will get an offer from one of the Power Five Conferences vacant jobs come the end of the season! Will he take it depends on where it comes from and $! I have met him and talked to him numerous times since he took the job and he is impressive in person!

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I don't claim to be in a position to provide a list of NAMES, but here is a short list of CHARACTERISTICS that should be required of our next HC:
(1) Must have success for more than 1 year. No more 1 year wonders!
(2) Must be known for something.. something innovative, a trademark, a go-to strength, an identity to pull recruits to, something to fall back on when the chips are down. You should be able to instantly sum this up in a few words or less.. Tiller = spread offense, Chip Kelly = no huddle, Meyer = read option, Briles = super wide splits. Hope = ??? Hazell = ??? Exactly.
(3) Assets must be transferable. I don't care if someone is a great recruiter at USC. I don't care if someone knows how to "win ugly" at Ohio State. Are they going to be able to do this at Purdue? A coach with a proven track record of turning around a moribund football program has more value to Purdue right now than someone who knows how to manage a football powerhouse.
(4) Somewhat contrary to #3, Purdue ties should not be a prerequisite, as long as they have had success in a similar situation. True, Purdue is a unique job, but we cannot immediately reduce the candidate list to 1 or 2 names based primarily on their ties to, or love of, Purdue.
(5) Don't go simply on W/L record or exclude candidates with one specific weakness. Let's face it, we might have to accept someone with an imperfect resume. An offensive innovator with a shaky defense is a better candidate than a coach with overall mediocre teams. Why? Because it is easier to focus on fixing one thing than multiple facets. And in the meantime, at least the games are fun to watch!

That last point that I highlighted is one I overlooked when thinking about Babers or possibly Chad Morris from SMU. Personally, I have seen a lot of coaches like that you speak of who, for whatever reason, can never get the defensive side figured out (or vice-versa). Kevin Wilson is a good example of that and I would say possibly Narduzzi at Pitt (although in his first season, I'd need to see his record after a year or two...plus you can win with good defense and below-average offense...tOSU's BCS title and the Ravens proved that).

Committed/Not Yet Signed
Name Pos Ht/Wt Stars Rank
Mulbah Car RB 5-11/194 *** NR
Keith Corbin WR 6-2/175 *** 83
J.J. Dallas DB 6-1/202 *** NR
Aymiel Fleming DT 6-2/284 ** NR
Hasaun Glasgow DE 6-3/216 ** NR
Braylon Jones OL 6-3/278 *** NR
Nygel King DB 6-2/175 ** NR
Keenan Murphy OL 6-2/295 *** 5
Ed Oliver DT 6-2/290 **** 4
Na'Ty Rodgers OL 6-5/290 **** NR
Patrick Rosette DB 6-1/195 ** NR
Bowman Sells QB 6-2/182 *** 13
Javian Smith DB 6-1/165 **NR
Ka'Darian Smith DB 6-0/172 ** NR
Marquez Stevenson WR 6-0/175 *** NR
Collin Wilder DB 5-11/175 *** 30
Dixie Wooten OL 6-5/322 ** NR

There is Herman's list of verbals right now at Houston. This class would currently rank (42nd) him 11th in the B1G btw...and look at how much better it is currently ranked than Purdue's right now (80th-tied with Rice, Southern Miss, and Indiana).

Just my opinion, I would like to see Spack be the next coach.

More importantly, I would try to find out how we get Theo Epstein to take over as athletic director. If he is able to break the curse for the cubs and broke the curse the red sox had, just imagine the possibilities.

Reactions: Redhotfill
I would want Matt Wells from Utah State. Living in Texas, there is a good chance Charlie Strong may be available. I would live Purdue to make a run at him if he comes available

Reactions: NashvilleBoiler
Definitely Dino Babers. Not saying he is the best coach of who might be available...but Tiller wasn't really either. But they have/had unique offensive systems that would make us different.

Purdue is not going to line up and beat people the traditional way anytime soon. Nor are we going to be able to recruit well unless we have something different to offer compared to the rest of the BIG10.

Babers would bring in that different system that somewhat evens the playing field and makes teams adjust to how we would play...not the other way around.

I like Babers too. He has Purdue connections and runs a high powered offense with BG. I think he would try to do the same at Purdue. I read were his daughter has a nickname from the old bucket game. I would think he would be a strong candidate.

Reactions: DICKSTER
Jim Leavitt - Has one major screw-up to his name, but none before or since. Defensive guy, but doesn't stifle his offense. Fiery on the sidelines and gets the most out of his kids on game day! I believe, until his last season at USF, he recruited kids from his office in a trailer! He will do just fine in selling the facilities Purdue has. Had pretty much the same or a little less money for assistants than Purdue had during the same time period and had very good assistants, a number leaving for bigger schools and bigger $. Played at Mizzou, coached at Iowa then went to K State with Bill Snyder and was co-D coordinator with Bob Stoops. Spent 4 years as 49ers LB coach under Harbough (his guys will tackle) and is now the DC at Colorado. I believe he would take a reasonable salary to get another opportunity.

Another shot for Mike Shula would intrigue me. He was knocked for a lot, but a few of his guys were key players in Saban' s first NC. Has developed Cam Newton in the NFL so would have a good chance of seeing that "Cradle of quarterback so" reputation going. I'm not sure if he's motivated to be a head guy.

Barbers is intriguing. Schiano is a first class jerk and even if he wins will insult a Midwesterners moral compass with the way he treats all those around him. I live in the Tampa area, what a mess he created.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT