ADVERTISEMENT

Let the guesses fly ;)

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
Just looking at some data ( I have little actual TV time on Uconn) it appears that Tristen Newton 6’5” is “a” key for UConn in scoring, boards and assists . I think Purdue wants to go under on Tristen and try to keep his penetration to a minimum. Zach can’t be helping in drop or they just lob to Clingan for the stuff and Zach doesn’t want a foot race to the rim if defending the screen on the perimeter I don’t believe. The first thought is for Lance to have him. However, if the decision is to go under on him, do you need the quickness and ball pressure from Lance in that situation…”IF” you go under? I’m not so sure Lance wouldn’t be better served on another.

Castle at 6’6” appears to be one you go under as well. Castle and Newton do not have good 3 ball stats, but appear to want to get inside the arc. Newton is the better rebounder and assist man and so staying in front of him and trying to keep him out of the lane and off the boards is big. As long as Newton and Castle are defending a shooter on Purdue you probably take away some of their defensive boards and leave him only on offense to get the boards and so again keeping him in front of you and blocking him out when on D is important and helped it seems by going under on Tristen. I think you go under on Castle as well with the same concern, but a less effective Newton is Castle it seems. Does Purdue overload the court with the two players Castle and Newton are defending so that you hold them away from helping on Zach outside of digs, but also removing their weakside boards.

Spencer at 6’4” we all know you have to go over. A great shooter that is second to Newton in boards and assists. Protecting Zach while going under on Newton and Castle will not work with Spencer. You have to go on top against him and now we have Zach in a bad spot with Spencer having the ball and a Purdue defender trailing him as he stops short of Zach and shoots or Zach is too high and the lob to Clingan or his back up is there. I don’t think Spencer with the ball and a screen set by Castle or Newton is the same concern because that can become an automatic switch if getting over the top appears to be a problem. Defending spencer may need a quicker defender “IF” going under on Newton and Castle is an approach. They can seek out the Purdue defender if they know Purdue is going to switch and get who they want. I see Fletch having Castle (going under) and Lance starting out on Spencer “IF” going over trying to keep him away from the screens and towards the baseline…and then see Braden having Newton. If Lance goes over and can’t seem to dictate that coverage I see him and Braden switching players and Lance trying to shut off Newton getting into the lane. We know almost always Purdue goes over the top and so this if it were to happen is a rather large change inside the system.

Karaban at 6’8” is a shooter that must be covered. Can Purdue Put Zach in a position to wall up or seal Clingan away from helping on Trey should Purdue go to Trey and try to get fouls on Karaban and if Trey is not effective we will see more of Mason and Cam on Karaban IMO because you have to defend him on the perimeter and either win the inside with Trey or pull Karaban out on a Purdue shooter. I do see Cam getting differen minutes to bring energy and effort in defending Castle and Newton at times. In a few hours we get to see what both coaches think of their team when against the other team with how they defend and try to score. I do think the longer Purdue is in it…the more pressure on UConn slightly. I expect them to go at Zach as a primary point of interest in driving the ball and getting the ball to Clingan.

Just looking at some data ( I have little actual TV time on Uconn) it appears that Tristen Newton 6’5” is “a” key for UConn in scoring, boards and assists . I think Purdue wants to go under on Tristen and try to keep his penetration to a minimum. Zach can’t be helping in drop or they just lob to Clingan for the stuff and Zach doesn’t want a foot race to the rim if defending the screen on the perimeter I don’t believe. The first thought is for Lance to have him. However, if the decision is to go under on him, do you need the quickness and ball pressure from Lance in that situation…”IF” you go under? I’m not so sure Lance wouldn’t be better served on another.

Castle at 6’6” appears to be one you go under as well. Castle and Newton do not have good 3 ball stats, but appear to want to get inside the arc. Newton is the better rebounder and assist man and so staying in front of him and trying to keep him out of the lane and off the boards is big. As long as Newton and Castle are defending a shooter on Purdue you probably take away some of their defensive boards and leave him only on offense to get the boards and so again keeping him in front of you and blocking him out when on D is important and helped it seems by going under on Tristen. I think you go under on Castle as well with the same concern, but a less effective Newton is Castle it seems. Does Purdue overload the court with the two players Castle and Newton are defending so that you hold them away from helping on Zach outside of digs, but also removing their weakside boards.

Spencer at 6’4” we all know you have to go over. A great shooter that is second to Newton in boards and assists. Protecting Zach while going under on Newton and Castle will not work with Spencer. You have to go on top against him and now we have Zach in a bad spot with Spencer having the ball and a Purdue defender trailing him as he stops short of Zach and shoots or Zach is too high and the lob to Clingan or his back up is there. I don’t think Spencer with the ball and a screen set by Castle or Newton is the same concern because that can become an automatic switch if getting over the top appears to be a problem. Defending spencer may need a quicker defender “IF” going under on Newton and Castle is an approach. They can seek out the Purdue defender if they know Purdue is going to switch and get who they want. I see Fletch having Castle (going under) and Lance starting out on Spencer “IF” going over trying to keep him away from the screens and towards the baseline…and then see Braden having Newton. If Lance goes over and can’t seem to dictate that coverage I see him and Braden switching players and Lance trying to shut off Newton getting into the lane. We know almost always Purdue goes over the top and so this if it were to happen is a rather large change inside the system.

Karaban at 6’8” is a shooter that must be covered. Can Purdue Put Zach in a position to wall up or seal Clingan away from helping on Trey should Purdue go to Trey and try to get fouls on Karaban and if Trey is not effective we will see more of Mason and Cam on Karaban IMO because you have to defend him on the perimeter and either win the inside with Trey or pull Karaban out on a Purdue shooter. I do see Cam getting differen minutes to bring energy and effort in defending Castle and Newton at times. In a few hours we get to see what both coaches think of their team when against the other team with how they defend and try to score. I do think the longer Purdue is in it…the more pressure on UConn slightly. I expect them to go at Zach as a primary point of interest in driving the ball and getting the ball to Clingan.
I like Jones on Spencer. UConn hasn’t shot the 3 ball very well in the tourney but that guy can light it up. Take him away, let Zach hold Klingon to below his averages and make the rest beat you.

I like Jones on Spencer. UConn hasn’t shot the 3 ball very well in the tourney but that guy can light it up. Take him away, let Zach hold Klingon to below his averages and make the rest beat you.
Spencer and Karaban (as TJ as said a few times throughout different threads are the guys that we need to run off the 3. Spencer is just under 50% in the tourney (45% for the year) and Karaban is around 33% in the tourney but right around 39% for the year. If we can somehow limit their 3s and hit our average % on our side. We have a good chance.

Going back to what TJ said about Karaban potentially guarding TKR…I agree that if this is the case, we go at Karaban to get him into foul trouble. Karaban struggled with Reneau when they played IU. He Def will be tough on the offensive side. If Zach can get Clingan in early foul trouble, that changes them up a bit on defense, as Samson Johnson—while VERY athletic, gives up 6 inches and 75lbs to Zach.

It’ll be interesting to see how the refs call it tonight. Will Cling Kong and the Torontosaurus be able to bang down low or are they going to call touch fouls?

Going to be an epic one.

BTFU

Zach should be ready to catch those low bounce passes when Clingan goes after the shooter for a block

I would like to see Cam, Myles and a potential spotlight time for EM to get some defensive stops against their bigger guards.

We are a much deeper team. Let's get it wrapped up!
I think Purdue gets them in early to get their feet wet and see how they do. If both are great....THAT would be huge for Purdue. I definitely see Cam getting minutes, but hope Myles has that game we have all waited to see.

Spencer is the biggest key to Uconn offensively. I am not sure Purdue will be able to limit him, but if he has a bad game then Uconn will struggle to win.

Reactions: Poprudy and tjreese
Just keep it close Purdue. Get it to a one possession game in the last few minutes. Hopefully, UConn’s lack of any recent close games can be a positive for Purdue.

Reactions: tjreese and punaj
I think Purdue gets them in early to get their feet wet and see how they do. If both are great....THAT would be huge for Purdue. I definitely see Cam getting minutes, but hope Myles has that game we have all waited to see.
If Miles can just play good D any offense would be gravy. Love to see him battle one of their big guards, block a shot.

Castles been getting better and better since late in the season as they took the wraps off. He looked fine shooting 3's last game.

Spencer is the biggest key to Uconn offensively. I am not sure Purdue will be able to limit him, but if he has a bad game then Uconn will struggle to win.
Hope Purdue does things to make it harder on Spencer than hopeful Spencer is off because he is in a lot!!! 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT