ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s see if we can find common ground

JoePurdue

All-American
May 29, 2001
1) We all thought Purdue would be competitive this year and compete in the Big 10 and make the tourney
2) Our early pre-conference success got us all very excited
3) we all thought we had something special when we were awarded the #1 ranking
4) we were all very disappointed with the Rutgers loss loss and thought it was a fluke
5) we lost to Wisconsin at home

This is where there was a split in the fan base. A large percentage explained away subsequent losses as “bad luck” or “perfect storms.” Some of us saw cracks in the foundation. After our last Illinois win, I thought we’d be fortunate to survive with 3 out of 5 wins. I know. I predicted 2. I am an ornery mf’er.

I know this will be hard to take, but I’m pleasantly surprised with how the season finished. We played in the Championship game of the BTT and we advanced to the Sweet 16. I predicted 2-2 in both tournaments.

My problems with this team were very poor decision making, poor defense, poor free throw shooting, shooting slumps and becoming way too predictable on offense. We became very beatable.

Somebody else will have to explain the other side of the split in the fan base.

With all this said, I loved these players. Ivey was a pleasure to watch. Williams was the most unselfish player I’ve ever seen.

And I still love the coach. At the risk of revisiting last night, we need much more athleticism to compete in this one-and-done tournament.

But, then again, I value conference play more than just about everybody.

Let’s enjoy our summers and fire up for whatever we put on the field in the Fall!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.